The Big Sick (2017) Poster

(2017)

The Best Comedy of the Summer
ThomasDrufke18 July 2017
One of my favorite things to do is go into a movie completely blind. Not watch a trailer, look at a poster, or even the cast list. It's incredibly difficult to do in today's age, especially because of how much I enjoy watching trailers, but when the chance comes along to see a movie with no prior knowledge, I take it.

The Big Sick is one of those rare movies that presents itself as 3 genres, in this case Drama, Comedy, and Romance, and it services each of those genres equally. So well that you have to mention all 3 if you're talking about the movie. It's not just a Rom-Com or a Rom- Dram, it's most certainly a Rom-Com-Dram. I haven't seen a film so effortlessly balance the 3 genres. This is all while seemingly reinvent the formula for a romantic comedy to beautifully fresh results. The Big Sick uses witty humor, charming leads, and socially important topics to give us the best film of the summer thus far.

A romance is only as good as its leads and their chemistry. Luckily, Kumail Nanjiani and Zoe Kazan grace the screen with a refreshingly awkward and charming presence. Being that I haven't really seen either of them in anything else, their relationship felt miraculously original. The Big Sick is based on Nanjiani's actual life, but this felt like a comedy unrestricted by real-life accounts while also honoring a serious subject matter that has its place. However, the two's chemistry isn't all this film has, its entire ensemble is something to behold. Ray Romano, Holly Hunter, Anupam Kher, Adeel Akhtar, Zenobia Shroff, and the various comedians do a wonderful job of rounding out the fantastic cast.

It doesn't fall back into genre clichés or tropes, doesn't fall back into an overly physical comedy (like most comedies do now), and it most certainly doesn't go the direction you think it's going to go. The Big Sick benefits from having a diverse cast and story and an impeccably funny but also poignant script. Heck, it also doesn't hurt that it takes place and was filmed in my hometown of Chicago. But the important thing is, this film restores my faith (once again) in original romantic comedies. Go see it.

+Diverse

+Original

+Funny & heartwarming

+Balances its 3 genres impressively

152 out of 225 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So much more than a "romantic comedy"
bliss_s2 July 2017
Romance, cultural conflict, betrayal, compassion, and redemption. All neatly wrapped within the context of a comedic memoir. Michael Sholwater did a superb job directing and the writing collaboration between Emily V. Gordon and Kumail Nanjiani gave the audience a wonderfully intimate sense of how the warmth, power, and growth of a couple relationship can expand and strengthen the bonds of family.

No story or movie becomes great without a superb cast. Again Kumail Nanjiani proved his versatility with an amazingly strong performance (in my opinion award winning). And this movie was not a one man show, Zoe Kazan gave just the right energy to her role, Holly Hunter should get an Academy Award for best supporting actress for hers, Ray Romano was excellent as were Zenobia Shroff and Anupam Kher. This was the best movie I've seen in a very long time and just may be the best romantic comedy I've ever seen.
101 out of 154 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fairly good but not great
bbewnylorac12 August 2017
All the actors in The Big Sick are accomplished and fit their roles well. Kumail Nanjiani is sweet and relaxed as Kumail, the immigrant caught between his American and Pakistani lives. As his white girlfriend Emily, Zoe Kazan is great - genuinely intelligent and sparky. Holly Hunter steals all her scenes as Zoe's firecracker mother, who comes to stay while Emily is in hospital in a coma. Ray Romano as Zoe's father is interesting and thoughtful. Some big issues are explored, such as what obligations do we have to our parents, and should parents leave behind traditions like arranged marriage when they move to the US? It's sobering to think there are families who shun sons and daughters for marrying or dating outside their race. Or that some children feel they must have an arranged marriage - and must even reject their true love - or else their family will disown them. To Western audiences, it seems distasteful, but the film acknowledges that it's a complex and long held practice that many immigrant families believe is the best way to find their children a partner.

The trouble with the movie is that much of it feels like a sitcom. The editing is far too rapid. It hurt my eyes. Not much happens in the film. It's not at all a demanding movie. It's not that funny and it doesn't take any risks. Which makes it a pretty standard romantic comedy, but not an exceptional one..
41 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I thought it would be good....it was GREAT!
ejones122315 July 2017
I know, I know 10 out of 10 is A LOT. However I'm not sure how they could top what they have here. Perhaps make it a little longer?? I NEVER leave reviews but I just laughed so hard I started snorting and couldn't stop for a bit! So did a few others in my row! I think that means something. There were so many times were I was laughing hard enough to cry and where I was smiling from the joy on the screen. Don't get me wrong, it's not all roses and whiskey....but it's def a movie I think everyone should see for a myriad of reasons. I'm so glad this movie was made and that my friend suggested we see it yesterday! I know you'll enjoy it so...You're welcome!
89 out of 144 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Big Sick is a cute story about the sacrifices between family traditions and significant others
RforFilm18 July 2017
What's more important? Your significant other or your family? That can be a challenging question when it comes to your development as a human being. While it doesn't say much about you and how you react to people, it certainly says something about their personality. Should they side with their lover, then they are willing to dodge bullets and rarely care about the opinions of other people. If they chose family, then they have a lot of beliefs in classic values don't want to lose a possible safety net from their parents.

As a white guy from a middle class family, I already have to process my thoughts if I'm going to go against my parents. I can't imagine how much harder that has to be for those from backgrounds with thicker backgrounds. A good friend of mine is marrying into a Mexican-catholic family despite being nonreligious. He's told me that it's taken him a while to win over his brides family and to be accepted into their traditions. Another friend of mine married an African-American, despite some resistance from his family. Today, I know them as one of the most loving families around. The Big Sick examines love and conflicting with traditions.

Uber driver Kumail (played by Kumail Nanjiani) is an aspiring stand up comedian who is on the verge of acquiring his big break by possibly getting a spot in a popular Canadian comedy festival. He also does a one person play about his experience of growing up in Pakistan and the U.S.A. and how he's adopted the American way of living, despite his family staying safe within their Pakistan values. This includes weekly dinners where his parents keep trying to set him up with potential women from Pakistan to lead into an arraigned marriage. This changes during one of his shows when a heckler stops his show.

Aspiring therapist Emily (played by Zoe Kazan) talks to Kumail about his act and the two end up going home. Though they keep claiming they won't do it again, it leads them to date (without Kumail's parents knowing of course). After a fight and her walking out, Kumail gets a phone call about her in the hospital. He agrees with the doctor to put her in a medical induced coma and uses her phone to contact her parents. Her father Terry (played by Ray Romano) and mother Beth (played by Holly Hunter) arrive as the two and Kumail try to help them deal with their daughter. The Big Sick happens to not only be very cute, but this is a nice examination at these kinds of relationships. You usually don't see many interracial kinships (with the exception of this years Get Out), but this one examines a lot of the complications that arise from both families opinions to between the lovers. It even manages to subvert a lot of tropes you typically find in these romance comedies, like how the couple has their "blowout" much earlier, which only makes the situation even more complicated if she recovers.

The main star and scriptwriter, Kumail Nanjuani, clearly has based this off of his experiences (just wait for the end credits). He knows how to juggle the balance of what probably happened and which moments were exaggerated. He also understands just how much he can hurt his family and how high the consequences were. Though his performance as himself was good, the bigger surprise comes from both Ray Romano and Holly Hunter, both actors I haven't seen in a while. If you think Romano is just repeating his character from Everybody Loves Raymond, then you'll be in for a surprise by how sincere his character is. While I can't spoil the best parts, I can be sure he may have earned himself an Oscar nomination.

The Big Sick also dwells into stand up comedy, which is rarely done on film, into new territory I haven't seen. While most deal with trying to be funny, this one seems to care about how much storytelling is involved. As someone whose done some stand up, I can say that the film is accurate and honest about how hard it is to get noticed. While we're not all trying to get on Saturday Night Live, we at least have different perspectives that are worth addressing.

I'll give this ten stuffed giraffes out of ten. I was taken aback with how much I liked this and hope that a lot of people realize that all kinds of love are worth talking about. The biggest sacrifice you can make depends on what you value, and I hope that this movie can help. I can definitely recommend The Big Sick.
73 out of 119 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I loved it!
spencer-397897 July 2017
I just loved this movie. Its billed as a comedy and I did laugh out loud frequently but it is also a touching drama of relationship and illness and the quintessential American story of the immigrant family's son and the white bread girlfriend. It had a very sweet touch, mixing the comedy and drama. Ray Romano was fantastic as the father of the girlfriend and I also really liked the girl, Zoe Kazan. Sorry, this isn't much of a review except to say that it was really very good!
90 out of 150 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
ccorral4192 June 2017
Director Michael Showalter ("Hello My Name is Doris" - 2014) has found a terrific collaborative relationship with writer/star Kumail Nanjiani ("Silicon Valley") and writer/wife/actor Emily V. Gordon. Based (at least somewhat) on the real life romance of Kumail and Emily, a couple from different cultural backgrounds and traditions, this 'little film that could" garnered one of the biggest deals in Sundance Film Festival history. And, everything is right in this film, from the realistic writing, a storyline filled with plausible surprises, to the terrific casting of the honest Zoe Kazan "Emily," Holly Hunter and Ray Romano as Emily's parents, Aidy Bryant (SNL), Bo Burnham ("Zack Stone is Gonna Be Famous") and Kurt Braunohler as Kumail's comedy buddies, to the equally great and ethnically packed cast featuring Anupam Kher ("Silver Lining Playbook"), Zenobia Sheriff, Adeel Akhtar ("The Dictator") and Shenaz Treasury as Kumail's lovable family, along with a slue of terrific female mates for Kumail to marry. David Alan Greir even appears for a few brief scenes as the comedy store MC. The feel of this film is right in line with "Little Miss Sunshine" and "The Way Way Back," leaving the audience with a feel good feeling at the films conclusion. Films like this, much like Melissa McCarthy's "Nobodies" TV show, are filling the screen with a great group of stand- up/comedy actors that help cement the production in reliability and truth. With the right PR and word-of-mouth, "The Big Sick" could be a big hit for all involved.
72 out of 128 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Big Winner!
namashi_12 July 2017
'The Big Sick' is pure cinematic bliss. This Heartwarming True-Story is told in a Unadultrated, Simple & Emotionally Empowering way, that leaves you wanting for more.

'The Big Sick' is based on the real courtship of Kumail Nanjiani and his now-wife, Emily Gordon. Kumail's traditional Pakistani Muslim family is unhappy with his relationship with Emily, a White American. When Emily is waylaid by a mysterious illness, Kumail must take charge of the crisis with her parents, Beth and Terry, whom he barely knows.

'The Big Sick' is an overwhelming experience, that left me with a big smile on my face. Its beautiful love-story, with the backdrop of two diverse families, from two extreme ends of the world. Kumail Nanjiani and Emily V. Gordon re-tell their heartwarming, albeit intense journey, with pure skill. The two successfully capture their real life experiences & nurture into a terrific cinematic experience. The Writing is top-notch & offers a realistic take on different religions, without ever taking sides. Such Writing deserves an Oscar Nomination. Michael Showalter's Direction is simplistic, yet wonderful. Cinematography & Editing are effectively done. Art & Costume Design are perfect.

Performance-Wise: Kumail Nanjiani is wonderfully restrained, delivering a performance driven by pure feeling. Zoe Kazan as Emily, is extraordinary. Although she gets limited screen time in comparison to the others, the actress leaves a solid mark. Ray Romano & Holly Hunter, as Emily's parents, are flawless. What Performers! Anupam Kher as Kumail's Father & Adeel Akhtar's as Kumail's brother, are excellent. Bo Burnham & Kurt Braunohler shine as Kumail's fellow stand-up mates. Others lend support.

On the whole, 'The Big Sick' is an Unmissable Gem. Two Big Thumbs Up!
50 out of 91 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Beautiful Sweet Film about Complexities of Diversity and Relationships in Modern America
JustCuriosity17 March 2017
The Big Sick was very warmly-received at Austin's SXSW Film Festival. The Big Sick is a superbly original romantic comedy/drama based on a true story of Kumail Nanjiani and his now-wife Emily Gardner; they co-wrote the script together. Kumail stars as himself. It starts from the premise of the inherent difficulties of interracial, inter-religious relationship between a Pakistani- American comedian and white woman in Chicago who face both the normal difficulties of relationships combined with the pressures of Kumail's overbearing, but loving family who demand that he participate in an arranged marriage to a Pakistani girl. Kumail is caught between competing worlds. The situation spins out-of-control when Emily becomes extremely ill and Kumail has to deal with her parents.

The amazing part of this movie is that it deals with deeply serious complex issues, but does so with humor and grace. The screenplay is remarkable and nuanced, but is infused with a comedian's sense of humor that captures the real human comedy that exists in all personal relationships. You will die laughing when Emily's bewildered father turns to Kumail in a hospital cafeteria and asks him, "What do you think of 9/11?" and Kumail responds as a comedian should to such an outrageously stupid question. Ray Romano and Holly Hunter are excellent in the roles of Emily's parents.

While based on a true story, I'm sure parts have been fictionalized to bring the drama and the humor of the events to the screen, but it appears that the basic Romeo & Juliet premise is based on the screen writers' real relationship. The film's ability to balance the deadly serious and the comedic reminds me of the wonderful film 50/50 (2011) which also dealt with a deadly illness with a similar light touch. This beautiful film which deals so well with the complexities of overcoming cultural differences serves as a good anecdote to our charged political climate and especially with the demonization of Islam that has become all too dangerous in this country. I hope it is the breakout comedy hit of the summer when it goes into wide release in July.
75 out of 143 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Predictable and not very funny
rubenm14 August 2017
Pakistani-born actor and stand-up comedian Kumail Nanjiani has made a film about his own experiences dating a non-Pakistani girl. His family members didn't accept the fact that he loved his girlfriend, and kept on setting up dates with Pakistani girls, as is the custom in that country.

Instead of a drama about the consequences of these culture clashes, Nanjiani made a lighthearted film, following the classic screenplay structure of the romantic comedy. Boy meets girl, falls in love, has to overcome all kinds of setbacks and problems, is rejected by the girl, but keeps on trying, and ultimately succeeds in winning her love. Everything is so predictable that the jokes must be really good to make up for the unimaginative screenplay.

Unfortunately, they're not. I counted one really good joke (about 9/11) and a handful in the category 'not bad'. But overall, this movie lacks the wit and humour that you'd expect from a film that was praised at Sundance. The jokes are flat and the running gags, like the endless parade of Pakistani marriage candidates, are boring.

So, the film is predictable and not very funny. That wouldn't have mattered if Nanjiani had turned his own experiences in a really heartfelt drama about how in some immigrant communities traditional parents try to arrange marriages for their unwilling offspring. And how this can lead to devastating consequences, like parents disowning their children. In 'The Big Sick', this fact is presented in the offhand manner which of course is typical for comedies.

The theme of arranged marriages in immigrant communities made me think of the excellent German/Turkish movie about this subject, 'When we leave'. That film was like a punch in the stomach. 'The Big Sick' is like listening to someone trying in vain to be funny.

There is only one thing I really liked in this film: Holly Hunter's part as the mother of Nanjiani's love interest. The way she completely played everyone else off the screen, for example with a wonderful and completely unexpected outburst of grief-induced anger, was absolutely great.
69 out of 133 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Comic Placebo for Serious Issues
tigerfish5014 August 2017
SPOILER: Like most comedies, 'The Big Sick' is powder-puff drama spiced up with some humorous moments. Its plot tells how a Pakistani-American stand-up comedian embarks on a love affair with a blonde psychology student when she heckles him during one of his stage shows. She breaks up with him after discovering his family are pressing him to choose a Muslim bride for a traditional arranged marriage, but soon afterward falls ill with a serious infection. While keeping vigil at her hospital bedside, he realizes he's still deeply involved with her - and when her parents arrive, the three of them are confronted by their cultural differences.

The characters and story possess some originality and relevance, but the film's effect could have been far more intense if it hadn't focused principally on laughs. Despite the strong emotional content - love, family and ill-health - the film never escapes the clutches of light comedy. The actors deliver respectable performances, but their efforts can't lift the material above the level of a forgettable sit-com. Ken Loach's 'A Fond Kiss' explores similar territory in a far more memorable manner.
46 out of 88 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Big Sick
cultfilmfan18 July 2017
I think that it can be safely said that pulling off a great, or even a good comedy takes a lot of talent and a lot of hard work because you not only have to appeal to a small base, but in order to make a successful film work, usually it has to be fairly accessible and you have to have strengths within the film to propel it along such as great comedic delivery by your actors as well as having a razor sharp script, or a least a script that knows how to both tell a good story and yet be very humorous in the meantime. There have been many great comedic films over the decades and some would probably fall into my own brand of comedy that I personally favour which would tend to be a bit drier, or have a least some kind of observational, or even neurotic, or self deprecating humour involved in it. Unfortunately a lot of the comedies today, or at least what is considered to be on everybody's radar, or considered "the next big thing" usually escapes me as today's sitcoms on television I can't stand and it leaves me missing the great comedic legends such as the television productions of Norman Lear in the 1970's such as All in the Family, Maude, Good Times and One Day at a Time. These were shows that knew how to tell a good story, were downright hilarious at times and also what I think was really fascinating was how those shows captured both the mood and events of the times that they were portraying. Such as political opinions, racial attitudes, poverty and the list goes on and on. I wish today's shows and movies too would learn, or take a page from these old shows and make a biting yet fascinating look at today's world and the events going on instead of just endless jokes involving profanity, scatological humour, or things involving, or around perversity. This new film, The Big Sick proves to be the new reigning champion in today's comedy film because it works so successfully on a number of different levels. It accomplishes the task of being a comedy because it is at times very funny and there were several laugh out loud moments during the film and also some small moments where I laughed inwardly and probably had a big smile on my face. The film kept the crude jokes and language to a minimum (yes, they are still there, but not thankfully the main goal of the movie) and instead it uses these very witty jokes alongside telling a story that when you come right down to it is a story of great depth and a truly insightful and yet honest look at modern relationships and just love in general. The film tells a good comedic story and has lots of laughs, but yet it also pulls off the tricky balancing act of adding drama and even some sadness into the mix with this comedy and yet it all feels so natural and like these events could be going on in our very own lives (probably with a few variables here, or there), but the film successfully allows us not just to laugh at these characters, but also allows us to empathize and feel their sadness, joy, grief and a whole gamut of emotions throughout the course of the film's running time. The film is based on a true story of it's main star Kumail Nanjiani and he also co-wrote the film with his wife, Emily V. Gordon and we cheer for these two during the course of the film and even if we have a sneaking suspicion of how it will all turn out, it still allows for plenty of moments of both laughs and sometimes coming close to tears as well. The Big Sick also commendably shows relationships and finally gets the message across to audiences that today people truly do take relationships too flippantly where there really sometimes does need to be some effort involved and when we as people engage in one night stands, or brief affairs, is that really love, or does it just end up hurting us and making us all the more vulnerable in the end? We as people need to evaluate our relationships and what we think about love and what it truly means to have a healthy and functioning relationship. As with anything worthwhile this can take work and a fair bit of effort, but I think most people can tell you that the end result is worth it. The acting by the main stars and supporting are amongst the best if not the best performances by an ensemble cast I have seen so far this year and the writing by Gordon and Nanjiani has depth, laughs, sadness and true heart to it that not only makes it a true winner as a comedy, but in a range of different categories and one of the most perspective and yet also effective looks on relationships and love to come out in awhile. Truly one of this year's best films.
45 out of 86 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lead actor bombs the film
Ironically, Kumail Nanjiani, the lead actor in this film stands out as a terrible actor against the fantastic talent of Zoe Kazan, Ray Romano, and Holly Hunter. I say, "Ironically," because it is the lead actor's project and story! Zoe Kazan is adorable and charming as his love interest, but he is flat and wooden, which has the effect of creating zero chemistry between the lovers in this romance.

Additionally, there are random, out-of-character scenes forced into the story which are unbelievable and clumsy. For example, when Kumail Nanjiani shows up at a drive- thru restaurant, the bit seems like it is from another character in another movie.

Topping all that, the film keeps its emotional connection to the audience at arm's length due to the insensitive directing that seems to prefer the syllable of every written line in lieu of nuance and charm that may have been between the lines.
62 out of 123 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boring and Humorless
brightspark-782399 September 2017
I watched this movie based purely on the high ratings and favorable reviews on IMDb... wish I hadn't bothered. Movies are subjective, that's for sure... one man's meat is another man's poison. Not sure why my opinion of this movie is so contrary to the majority. Maybe the generational gap... I am an oldie. Or maybe because there have been so many really crap movies released recently that, comparatively, this one fares reasonably well.

About 30 minutes into the movie I turned to my wife and said, "this is a load of rubbish". She nodded her head violently in agreement. There are a few good performances from established actors in the cast but, in the main, this movie is boring and humorless. The main actor is apparently a stand-up comedian, I reckon he should probably stick with that. His performance is flat and wooden, very amateurish. The Big Sick is maybe something the under 30s might enjoy but, as an oldie, I thought it was far worse than ordinary.
28 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Romantic comedy, hilarious but also deeply poignant
PotassiumMan1 July 2017
This film depicts a couple's challenge in grappling with the cultural differences of their Pakistani and white American families in this portrayal of the protagonist's real-life relationship. Kumail Nanjiani and Zoe Kazan are wonderful in their respective performances as the couple that gradually weaves together an amazing story. Ray Romano and Holly Hunter are equally splendid as the parents of the girlfriend. In fact, there are no weak links in the cast.

It's a film that goes from being a diverting portrayal of the life of a stand-up comic to a romance story to an allegory on overcoming cultural barriers in the United States. The tonal shifts might seem extreme at first, but they gradually cement a powerful narrative that makes for a lot of laughs but also becomes bittersweet and endearing without resorting to a hint of sentimentality.

The film takes on a new form when the girlfriend is beset with a severe illness. From there, the comedy aspect gradually becomes something of a supporting part to a deeper character study and exploration of family and cultural pressures even in the face of unanticipated grave events. You will laugh, you will be close to tears and you might engage in your own introspection after watching this film. Brilliantly written and beautifully acted, this one is from the heart. Recommended to the highest degree.
52 out of 103 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Terrible
ricky_dry_county26 November 2017
1] The guy is incapable of acting, which isn't surprising considering he's a hack stand up comic. 2] There's nothing funny unless you count his silly mugshot as hilarious. 3] A girl falling for the Uber driver, happens everyday, right? 4] It was originally called "The Big Shi*". 5] A high Metascore for below average drivel like these movies is why no one takes these critics seriously. This has a Metascore of 86, compared to say, Interstellar's 86. This just shows that most of these weirdos are just soy drinking SJWs getting boners every time they see something remotely sensational, like an interracial love story or a homosexual love story ["Call me by your name", Metascore 96, for showing an affair between a 17 year old and a middle aged pervert]. What happened to actually making a good movie with powerful scenes, instead of the premise being the sole talking point.
18 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hilarious & poignant, at the same time.
Anurag-Shetty5 July 2017
The Big Sick tells the true story of Kumail(Kumail Nanjiani). Kumail is an amateur stand-up comedian. He meets & falls in love with Emily(Zoe Kazan). Kumail & Emily become a couple. Now they have to decide whether their relationship has a future, due to the massive difference in their cultures. This makes things between Kumail & Emily, complicated.

The Big Sick is a fantastic movie. What is fascinating about this film is that, it's based on the real life love story of Kumail(who also wrote the film) & co-writer of the script, Emily V. Gordon. Director Michael Showalter has done a bang-up job, balancing the romantic, comedic & dramatic elements of the movie. This film is laugh-out- loud funny but, it can also make you feel emotional, from time to time. The performances are spot on. Kumail Nanjiani is brilliant as Kumail. Zoe Kazan is spectacular as Emily. Nanjiani & Kazan share an adorable & effortless chemistry, in all their scenes together. Holly Hunter is outstanding as Beth. Ray Romano is awesome as Terry. Anupam Kher is superb as Azmat. Zenobia Shroff is great as Sharmeen. Adeel Akhtar is excellent as Naveed. Bo Burnham, Aidy Bryant, Kurt Braunohler & Shenaz Treasurywala are impressive as CJ, Mary, Chris & Fatima, respectively. The Big Sick is a must watch for romantic comedy fans. Go for it, as soon as you can.
26 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great expectations but massive letdown as a comedy
keldkelly12 August 2017
I would probably have rated it slightly higher if it wasn't because of the high score and headlines as Buttcracking funny". It was the most boring movie I've seen and my partner fell asleep quit early on. As a romance, nothing particularly new or inspiring there either. I would say that the Brits are more capable of making interracial stories that feels heartfelt, warm and funny. Holly Hunter and the main character performed well but the rest........ :-( I would not recommend this movie to anyone and do not understand the praise it received. Would rather watch 5 episodes of Friends.
57 out of 116 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Underwhelming
PeterSp128 July 2017
Went to see this with my wife and we both had the same impression - underwhelming particularly given the rave reviews this movie has received. At best, it was "cute" but it felt lightweight and as others have pointed out it was not particularly funny or romantic. I was disappointed in Kumail Nanjiani given how good his character (and portrayal) is in Silicon Valley. Here he came over as somewhat flat and in addition I found Zoe Kazan as Emily irritating. Not a horrible movie but kinda blah
22 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the Worst movies I've seen
tranat717 September 2017
It's so funny how we all differ in opinions.

I may think that "Shawshank Redemption" and "Godfather" are the best 2 movies of all times.

And some people may think that "Shawshank" and "Godfather" are boring as hell.

So many people seem to love "Big Sick".

Yet, I think "Big Sick" is one of the most boring movies I have ever seen. Lame movie.

As I was watching this movie, I was telling myself, "Okay, it's going to make me laugh any time now. It should be a great movie. Any time now."

And it never did make me laugh or even get interested. A bunch of nonsense dialogue.

It just annoyed the hell out of me and made be feel bored beyond belief.

But this movie will probably be nominated for "Best Picture" come Oscar.

I just think "Big Sick" sucks and is boring as hell.

I hope it doesn't even get nominated for Oscars.

I think the best movie of the year I've seen is "Get Out".
34 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another boring and predictable love story, this time with a Pakistani person in it.
deathiscoming-18 August 2017
To paraphrase the leading actress of the movie, "You know that yawning thing that happens when you watch a really boring film? That happened." A lot.

Like a sociopathic child dragging it's torn and half eaten teddy, I too was dragged along to see this movie by my significant other, whose depiction of the film was roughly of "a struggle for acceptance by an interracial couple in the west." Unfortunately, this film was only barely that.

Yes, he is Pakistani. Yes, he is in a not-so-hot interracial relationship. Yes, he seems to be rebelling against the stereotypical beard wearing, head bobbing, rice eating, Urdu speaking family he appears to be a member of, but the depiction seem to stop there.

Firstly, the acting, like watching Bruce Forsyth perv on the dancing on ice girls, was just barely tolerable through all the cringe worthiness and specifically the casting of Zoe Kazan was just plain wrong. I really didn't enjoy watching her; she can barely deliver dialogue, she looked awkward and gaunt the whole time (even when she was well) and there was no chemistry on screen with either Kumail or her on-screen parents. The argumentative scenes were poorly dialogued and seemed too hyperbolic and forced and just showed what an awful actor she is.

Coming onto the story itself, it's basically a story of a Pakistani stand-up comedian whose white girlfriend falls sick, gets better and then everyone is happy - with very little of interest in between. The pathetic little in-depth exploration of cultural differences and intra-customary variations were only ever skid marks on the undies of revelation and portrayed as quippy stereotypes and cheap gags. For example *Pakistani accent* "why don't you grow a beard like your brother" and "oh, Mrs 'whoever' was just driving by and dropped in" (don't forget to roll the R's). Additionally, every brown character in the movie seemed to have a Pakistani accent despite them telling us some were USA born and bred - again this points to the forced and farcical nature of the approach to humour in the movie.

Furthermore, if you've read any of my previous reviews, you'll know I detest medical inconsistencies in movies. I'm sorry but one minute Emily has a chest infection (for which she would have received some anti-inflammatories at some point - I'll come onto why this is important in a minute) and the next minute she's so unwell she's materialised five jargon jabbering Jar Jar Binks style doctors and needs urgent surgery (for god knows what - she had no indication a second ago of empyema/pleural effusion etc and I'm sorry but I've not really heard of just cutting an infection out of someone's lung, even TB isn't managed like that these days!) Then hey presto, Dr House obviously came along and matched the swollen ankle tid-bit from earlier with her apparent "inconclusive biopsy" (again - Huh?) and came up with Adult Onset Still's Disease. Her condition then rapidly improved the minute they gave her some anti-inflammatories - which dare I say she would have got in the ER the minute she walked through the door for her apparent chest infection, so, none of this medical mumbo-jumbo would have happened anyway! Really, if they wanted me to care about her medical condition they should have focused and put some effort into getting the details accurate, because apparently it may actually have happened exactly like that, if this movie really was based on a true story.

However, regardless if the medicine was accurate or depicted well, like an impending meteor the rubbish that ensued whilst Emily was unconscious had already sealed this movie's fate. An obligatory 9-11 related scene could never go amiss here, the bombing out on stage (excuse the pun), the pointless screaming at a PA system over 4 slices of cheese and the overall boring conversations just left me feeling sleepy. I have no idea why the story then suddenly waffled on about Emily's parent's marital issues - what on earth did that have to do with the price of chips?

Overall, this movie picked a great topic to explore but failed miserably at exploring it. The focus here should have been on delving into Pakistani culture, how the second generation are adapting it into Western Culture and how both generations are dealing with this paradigm shift. This should have been a film about Kumail's and Emily's parents bonding and accepting each other's cultures through the eyes of their children, especially as Emily battles for her life. This could have been a movie about the younger American-Indian/Pakistani/whatever generation teaching the older generations of their identity struggle, how they strive to fit into both worlds and how the older generation need to change to be more accepting of this brave new world. Yet, instead this was a film about cheesy quips, borderline racist stereotypes and just the usual white people issues and pointless yelling, boiling down to just being another boring chick-flick type romance movie with some basic comedic moments.

Watch Bend It Like Beckham, East is East, Marigold Hotel or even Bride and Prejudice *sigh* if you expect more exploration of cultural differences. This is barely watchable. 6/10 as the funny bits are funny.
21 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
'The Big Sick' is brilliant in an unpretentious and unconventional way
ankurd-565419 July 2017
I hate it when I go to a movie with high expectations and it fails to meet them. This happened recently with the movie "Baby Driver" which had left me a bit underwhelmed and disappointed. So, when I was booking my tickets for "The Big Sick" I was a bit apprehensive and unsure. The trailer looked like it could be a very different and funny movie. I hoped that it was not one of those 'make- a-great-trailer-to-get-the-audience-into-buying-the-ticket' movie. Thank God! The movie overwhelmed me in every possible way!

'The Big Sick' is brilliant in an unpretentious and unconventional way but at the same time it is very true to it's genre. It's fearless and talk about certain issues in a very refreshing way. The characters are real and super believable. You don't have the conventionally good looking romantic couple doing the predictable cheesy things on screen and its fresh to see that.

This is an autobiographical story of Kumail Nanjiani (plays himself) and his wife Emily V Gordon (Zoe Kazan). Kumail is in his 30s, a struggling standup comedian in chicago. He is a Pakistani Muslim. He was 14 when his family immigrated to the US. His family is very religious and believes in praying and expects their son to do an arranged marriage to a bride selected by them. His mother (Zenobia Shroff) has been relentlessly trying to find a match for her son with a Muslim Pakistani girl.

During one of his comedy gigs he get 'heckled' by Emily, a white American girl who cannot be more different from him and his family. Both of them hit if off immediately. They try to end the relationship as a fling but cant help falling in love and start dating. They eventually have a fight and have a half breakup. Shortly after Emily is admitted to the hospital and put into a medically induced coma. Kumail stands by her during this time and informs her parents to come by. The rest of the story is about how Kumail and Emily's parent interact and how Emily struggles with the 'Big Sick'. Don't get me wrong the movie never gets even a little bit sad.

Kumail Nanjiani is so good in this movie playing himself. He has redefined how the Hollywood leading man in a romantic comedy should be like. Zoe Kazan is great and shares a good chemistry with Kumail. The third most important cast of the movie are the parents of Kumail and Emily. Zenobia Shroff and Anupam Kher plays the perfect Pakistani parents. Holly Hunter and Ray Romano are just brilliant in the movie. Such effortless and real acting by these two pair. Kumail's elder brother played by Adeel Akhtar does a great job. Their sister played by Shenaz Treasurywalla has very few lines but looks apt in the role. Kumail's three buddies played by Bo Burnham, Aidy Bryant and Kurt Braunohler complement the comedy excellently,

The writing by Kumail and his wife Emily Gordon is masterful. It is the real star of this movie. Michael Showalter's direction does justice to the writing.

After a very long time I saw a rom-com I loved thoroughly and that's why I cant stop raving about this one. This is a breakout movie and a new benchmark has been set.

Also published on my website - www.storiesofheart.com
21 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dark Comedy (think Little Miss Sunshine or 50/50) but funnier
blackcadillacs514 July 2017
Best Judd Apatow flick, if you liked Superbad and 40yr old Virgin, laugh out loud moments (non-cheesy)then you will like this film. Funniest movie I've seen this year. You won't regret it unless you are a racist bigot then obviously save your breath and time. Otherwise, go check it out, it's magnificent, we saw the Bigger Sick with 10 min bonus stand up to an empty theater (wtf people, it's amazing).
42 out of 84 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Tedious
dal_asher16 August 2017
After reading reviews on this site my husband and I decided to see it instead of one of the heavier more depressing movies currently playing at the local cineplex. Our granddaughter was having a party with kids and parents and since we don't live in the same town but were visiting for the week end, we decided to make ourselves scarce. This movie seemed like it might be amusing and somewhat entertaining. It wasn't! It wasn't funny at all. We are movie buffs and rarely walk out of any movie but had we had somewhere else to go, we would eagerly departed after the first 30 minutes. We kept waiting for it to take off but right to the last minute there was simply nothing. To be completely honest, don't waste your time - even on DVD or streaming!
65 out of 137 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A unique take on cultural overlap within the world we live and a breath of fresh air for the romantic comedy genre
mlwotowiec26 June 2017
What's wrong with today's romantic comedies? Well, a lot. There is the ridiculous cliché formula of man falling for woman, man losing woman, and (assuming it's a comedy and not a drama) man getting woman back. Every now and then the genders are swapped and viewers rave about the originality of a female lead taking charge (but it still follows the cliché formula!). Sure, that is ultimately what happens in The Big Sick, but The Big Sick does something very right while using this formula that many other romantic comedies do wrong. The Big Sick shows the humanity of the characters involved and does not paint them in a seemingly objective light of perfection or failure. When Emily wakes from the coma, for example, she does not welcome Kumail back with open arms. We can talk about how in the average romantic comedy little depth is provided in regard to the female character - she is usually very pretty but rarely seems to have earned the desire of the lead character. Her simply "being" is enough to drive him to pursue her. In the average romantic comedy, Emily would have woken up from the coma and been immediately taken Kumail back. Another piece to break the usual formula was the inclusion of Emily's parents and the role they played in allowing the audience (and Kumail) to really get to know Emily. As an avid movie watcher and a harsh romantic comedy critic, I found this movie a much needed, refreshing addition to the genre. First, the characters are not displayed as flawless, beautiful people who happen to fall in love because their stars happened to align. While keeping in mind there is only so much time to work with, the characters are relatively round characters with internal and external struggles that are shown without being spoon fed to the audience. More importantly, this movie addresses a very real minority issue that few have addressed in the past: the idea of family obligation as it related to immigrant families - prearranged marriage expectations being a small piece of this obligation. While there have been several indie films that have addressed this conflict of cultures, few have done so with the objectivity and heart of The Big Sick. My main criticism is that the supporting comedian actors came off as a bit flat and their role was so obviously the comic relief that it felt somewhat cheap. That being said, I am more than willing to overlook this because of the many things this movie did right.
24 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.