Vengeance: A Love Story (2017) Poster

Imbecilic writing
tomnel-115 January 2018
I'm not a movie critic but I did practice law for 41 years. The courtroom scenes in this movie exceed the outermost boundaries of stupidity. This is sloppy, incompetent and irresponsible writing. A piece of trash. It's impossible to point a finger at the person responsible with two screenwriters fiddling with a novel. Disgusting.
21 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
fast forward is the only way to watch
marksu00729 January 2018
The writer/ Director must think there is no audience of this film has an IQ north of 60.

And they are so disconnected with the real world for some reason.

Anyway, it is bad, really bad

1 star for Nicolas Cage 1 star for Nicolas Cage 's action scene 1 star is for Anna Hutchison and Dikran Tulaine
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
disappointing. watch only to kill time.
tony-146-69562629 March 2017
Acting is very good. Nicolas though is severely underused. Wasted even. The movie starts off very promising, like a space rocket taking off. The plot advances and just when you expect the movie to jump into high gear it only sputters, fizzles, and rapidly loses altitude. Finally showing to be a dud with a script that simply goes nowhere. Feels like a made for TV cop show movie. The failing is not the actors. They were all very good. The script is to blame.

If you have time to kill with nothing else to watch then OK. Watch it for the acting. Otherwise, pass.
14 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
How editing ruined a movie
Carlmarvin22 March 2017
Cage is his usual self. Not as cringy as lately, actually tolerable. The movie could have been good, but it is not. I suspect some other reviewers to be in the movie industry...or they just haven't seen that many movies yet. I give it 4 stars because the young girl is really good and the beautiful mother could have been edited to be excellent....BUT, this movie is the prime example of how NOT to edit a movie. Some of the scenes are waaay to long and downright unnecessary. But some of the cuts are so long (the mother in the hospital scene with cage) that it makes the actors look like overacting imbeciles. In one scene the beautiful mother goes through 5-6 moods/expressions. From scarred, confused, elated, relieved to sad and tormented relieved again...in the same cut. And at the end, the dialogue follows the two actors by way to rapid cutting. I have never thought about editing before in my life...but this opened my eyes to the importance of that job. Got through about an hour, and just had to quit. I will think long and hard before I rent another Cage movie.
25 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nic Cage's wig
j_smith_725 March 2017
Straight to the point - this is a dreadful film. It has all the subtlety and breadth of a 3-year-old child's crayon drawing. Without exception, the support cast are absolutely awful in this. Their performances are clichéd, highly predictable and as wooden as a 2 by 4. The direction is unenthusiastic and the editing looks like it was done using Windows XP.

The story-line is something we've all seen a thousand times before - only, even the worst version of this hackneyed story is better than this. Every prejudice you can imagine is wheeled out, beaten with a stick until it screams 'stop, stop', and yet, is beaten again. I know we live in age of the 7-second attention span but this film is a waste of 6 of them.

Don't go to see it. And, sure as heck, don't pay money to see it.
23 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dreadful
Steve Mcmillan29 March 2017
I'm being generous with a score of three, mainly due to the acting of Talitha Bateman. Nick Cage is about as convincing a cop as his hair color. He plays a vigilante detective chasing down a gang of rapists. Actually chasing down isn't quite the right term. He appears, by magic, in some scenes, almost at will, always being in the right place at the right time and we never see how he actually gets there - possibly by accessing worm-holes. Everything about this movie is bad; the script is atrocious; there is no character development, the whole cast is guilty of overacting, or being dull as dishwater, some are just wrongly cast and bad actors. To prove my point, the second-best actor in the movie was a dead cat. The entire story line is not believable, the court process is clearly directed by someone who has never been inside a court and it has no credibility. The make-up is shocking, sets are under-budgeted. It looks as though all the money went into Don Johnson's wardrobe, hair and make-up. The extras are shocking, even by non-actors. Watch for the lady reporter / photographer in beige, when the mother of our bunch of losers speaks to the press. It looks like she's never held a camera before. Despite the crime being as serious as it was, it attracts about 8 reporters and some guy with a 1970's TV camera. Despite there being a vigilante out there, none of the crimes are investigated. I know Nicholas Cage is still a credible actor, but he's going to have to start choosing better scripts - I can only suppose that he's broke. I guess Nicholas must be, given the coffee cup advertisement placement for Ikea. I get the feeling Don Johnson got the Harley. In short, if you are looking for a good film, with good script, acting, story line, make-up, lighting, editing.... don't choose this one. There is nothing new about this story, nothing interesting about it - I just cannot recommend it to anyone. Even the title is wrong - there is no love story? Maybe they just wanted to get extra movie-goers. The worst crime about this movie, is that it was ever made.
21 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Major Disappointment
bikinibeach22 March 2017
I love Nicolas Cage. He has had some great movies and some duds because he marches to a different drummer. The only reason for this movie to exist is because someone was in love with "Teena". And Don Johnson did it because he could wear some nice suits and drive off on a Harley. Don't waste your time.
21 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No Plot Structure, Character Development, etc, Whatsoever
Jeffrey Burton16 January 2018
There is a new rash of screenwriters out there who have never read a book or seen a play. They no nothing about plot structure. They don't know that a story needs 3 acts. The don't know about character development or arc. They don't know what subtext is. They don't know the 7 basic plots. And they definitely have no idea what a 3rd act is.

Everything they know about writing a movie is from watching movies and they don't understand what they're watching. In this particular movie they thought all they needed something bad to happen so the good guy could start going after the bad guys and then you just stop and that's your end. Unbelievably shallow attempt at storytelling and the writer wants us to believe there is no such thing as DNA evidence. If there was DNA evidence then this movie couldn't have been made. Well, DNA evidence exists and this movie shouldn't.

And what the hell ever happened to Nicholas Cage? He used pick interesting roles and create something interesting a memorable? Why did he decide to suck?
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dark tale about rape aftermath
rik-vanoijen30 March 2017
Vengeance: A Love Story is based on the book Rape: A Love Story by Joyce Carol Oates, and it makes a difference. Cage plays John Dromoor – a Niagara Falls hero cop and Purple-Heart-awarded Desert Storm veteran, who takes a personal interest in a case when a young single mother is gang-raped. While the story doesn't look quite original and the vigilante cop theme isn't even an strange role for Cage, this movie is not just another run-of-the-mill vigilante movie. True, it focuses more on the vigilante part than the book (probably the reason for the change in titles), but this is a story about rape all the same, not vengeance.

As such, it's darker, slower but also better compared to similar movies. The story is well put together, though the aftermath and the effects of the lives of Teena and Bethie could have been a little more fleshed out, and similarly some of the other main characters, notably the judge and Don Johnson's lawyer character.

The acting is good. Cage is good, his usual, but slower, a bit more withdrawn. Don Johnson's performance as an unscrupulous lawyer oozes slime (good role-casting) and Talitha Bateman puts on a good performance as the daughter. Sadly, the final third falls quite flat, and I blame mostly the title. If you make a movie about vengeance, than put a bit more effort in it. While more realistic than Cage's usual wise- cracking one-liners, the movie builds up to a momentum that never really arrives, as he coldly and efficiently disposes of the perps. But overall, this is a decent movie, just don't expect a blood soaked, bullet-riddled vigilante movie.
21 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Poor acting, cheap and unoriginal story-line
eliasyilo12 April 2017
It was really hard to keep watching this film. The acting is terrible. The makeup for wounds and bruises look really cheap and the story-line of the movie is just a bunch of Hollywood clichés putted together. I can only say that it is not worth to loose almost 2 hours of your time watching this film.
9 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worth watching
stevewaller-0965220 March 2017
I can see why this film did note score well as it has lots of fall downs, but as a film its worth watching. If you accept the fact its all been done before and it panders to both cage and Johnson's ego's you will enjoy it, the daughter and mother will make you smile, chuckle and cry, cry a lot. Cage is trying to stay relevant in films but is still acting like its 2000. Don Johnson, 1991, love them both as icons. Once you admit that this is a Nick Cage produced film and enjoy it as a story, it actually is a good film.
25 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Oh God..
adonis98-743-18650323 February 2018
A gulf war veteran seeks vengeance against those who assaulted a single mother. Vengeance: A Love Story is a typical revenge thriller that has Nicolas Cage doing his Cage things and it's absolutely terrible from acting, to script to everything, this man was great back in the 90's he was making movies like Face/Off and now he makes straight to dvd cash grabs to pay the bills and it's sad to be honest. (0/10)
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Formulaic Revenge Story, With One Good Performance
Stoshie1 December 2017
There is not much of anything original or unpredictable going on with this movie. It is pretty much your standard revenge flick, where the bad guys get off in court, and they are dealt with via vigilante justice.

There is one bright spot in the film, though. That is the performance of Talitha Bateman as the daughter. She acts in a relaxed, natural manner that is totally believable. In fact, she shows more acting ability than some of the other characters in the movie. But to be fair, there are a number of caricature roles in the movie that aren't very demanding of the actors (for example, the bad guys and their mother).

Bateman is young, so I hope she can find some better scripts than this in the future, and continues to grow as an actress. At this point, she reminds me of how Saoirse Ronan was at the same age. Ronan developed into a very good actress. I hope Bateman can do the same.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
cheap piece of writing
tom_jerico17 January 2018
More like propaganda, every point spoon-fed to the audience, laid on super thick, no suspense, just the inevitable unfolding of vigilante justice against over-the-top, cartoonish villains and an amoral lawyer. I usually like these kinds of movies, such as Charles Bronson's Death Wish movies. But this seems pitched to a child audience to lay in the point one brick at a time that justice is not to be found in courts. Seems like one of those Lifetime TV movies rather than something Nicholas Cage would be caught dead in. Yet there he is, for reasons known only to him. Skip it.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Vengeance: The story of how quickly you can leave a theater.
Boozy The Clown13 April 2017
Cage needs to hang it up, and hang that wig up too. Poor acting,terrible cast, unoriginal story line, completely asinine court room scenes. Skip this, skip the thought of watching it. Do anything else with your life for 90 minutes. I am struggling to get 5 lines of text for this horrible film.
13 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I don't recommend!!!!
miro-5306124 March 2017
So disappointing! After watching the trailer and especially as it's a Nicolas Cage movie; I was expecting a lot! However I was surprised by a classic scenario; nothing special in the story; no logic in the events; not convinced by the end; really not worth watching! I would recommend to save your money and time!
12 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This Was Awful. 100% awful. Worst Screenwriter of All Time.Insane plot
DaRealestBlack8 January 2018
There is a decent story in here somewhere. The writing is atrocious though. They always say "show dont tell" but literally every piece of characterization is dont through a line of descriptive dialogue. Nic Cage peers at a woman at the bar and the bar tender approaches, "Her names Teena, husband died of cancer a few years back, has a 6 year old daughter." Partner then approaches, "Man John, you are a war hero, purple heart, no family left in town and have 20 years as a police officer...why not just retire man....full pension." It is that awful. I mean one scene of Nic Cage taking his badge and gun off at his home would show us all we need to know about him...we never get that scene. Where does cage live? No clue. How'd his wife die? No clue. Does he have sons? He says at one point, "I never had a daughter"...kinda an odd thing to say if you dont have sons. This is just awful screenwriting. I mean there is literally no arc for any character. Cage shoots a criminal dead and is emotionless about it in the first scene...movie winds up with him killing criminals with no emotion. Never really get to know the woman well enough to see her do anything and the daughter is portrayed as strong throughout and never really changes. She tells her mom off, says no to drinking without a thought, she fights the criminals, fights one of the criminals sister, takes care of everything. Also she is 12? In real live 2 year olds have been interviewed to identify killers...a 12 year old with a broken arm isnt believed...which leads me to the most egregiously infuriating part of the movie...

There is a decent revenge tale in there, but it doesn't work with the comically bad plot, based on everyone in the town of Niagara being insane. A pretty single mother goes to a party at her boyfriends house and has a couple of beers. She walks home pretty much totally sober with her daughter. 4 guys jump out and beat and gang rape her repeatedly while her daughter watches. They leave her in a pool of her own blood and unconscious. They have DNA and the daughter positively identifies the men. Teena gains her memory back after coming out of her COMA and positively identifies them. Open and shut case clearly right? Nope. Whole town thinks Teena...the widow, whose lived in town at least since high school and was married to a factory worker in town, who is dating seemingly a popular guy in town and who is shown in her first inexplicable scene with a friend in a bar, who was with her daughter who has a broken arm and whose face is beaten and bruised...was a whore. Yep the defendants went with the, "She willingly had sex with us, and then the 100 lbs woman attacked us and we beat her to a bloody pulp after we all had sex with her." Their literal defense was "she was so drunk she doesnt remember" Uhh...even their defense describes a rape. If she is so intoxicated that she cant remember or control her actions...she is too intoxicated to consent.

Teena's boyfriend disappears for some reason (never explained) and makes a small cameo later when one of the rapists tells him in a crowded bar, "I am going to do to you, what i did to your girl." Yep...dead serious that happened. The rapists cat call the victim in the court room and the court cheers when Don Johnson (their lawyer) calls her a whore and says she is guilty of child abuse for having drunk consensual sex in a park in front of her daughter...Dont worry, the judge would surely step in and in no way allow a defense attorney to approach a rape victims child and call her a whore...nope wrong again...the judge corrects Nic Cage on his grammar, tells a woman who just got out of a coma to take off her sunglasses, overrules all objections to a lawyer calling a rape victim a whore in the court room and then later engages in an ex-parte hearing with Don Johnson...Yep, the whole towns gone insane. Thats the plot. Girl gets raped, Entire town is insane,Nic Cage kills the rapists in the least painful ways imaginable...bullets to the head...Half the people you want him to kill live at the end and the people he kills goes out so painlessly and effortlessly there is neither drama nor satisfaction. At one point Cage calls one to lure him to a hotel and there is a woman's voice on the line...its never explained if cage did a female voice, had a female talk or what the heck happened. The screenwriting is insane. I love Cage, but this was the worst written hack piece of trash I have ever seen. I watched it all because there were so many people i wanted to die in horrible ways and I kept thinking, "Maybe they just made all these people awful so Cage has more to kill", but nope...Doesnt happen
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Meh..
dmincu21 March 2017
Fits perfectly in the "this is so bad is good" category but it won't put Sharknado to shame..Entertaining to watch though! The worst part of this movie is the story and the way is told. Some surprisingly good acting from couple of characters. The little girl has tons of potential.
10 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A caged gem, so to speak...
Initially I had believed this to be just yet another mass-produced movie that Nicolas Cage pops up in time after time. However, director Johnny Martin actually proved me wrong here and it turned out that this was one of the better movies that Nicolas Cage was in.

Now, I will say that it wasn't because Nicolas Cage put on an outstanding performance, although he had upped his game here in comparison to what he usually does. No, it is the storyline and the brutality of the movie that made it so good.

As for the acting, well as I just said then Nicolas Cage did perform surprisingly well here, although it was not his top performance. However, the movie was really carried excellently by Talitha Bateman and Don Johnson. Talitha Bateman really has potential for a great acting career. And as for Don Johnson, then it felt like that particular role was custom made for him, because he was simply superb in this movie.

"Vengeance: A Love Story" is a brutal movie in a way that doesn't cross the line and become tacky or sleazy. It is the nature of the storyline that makes it brutal and does leave something in the audience once the movie has ended.

I was more than genuinely entertained with the outcome of this movie, and it was a positive surprise that the movie was so much more better than I had expected it to be. So if you are a fan of Nicolas Cage, and actually if you aren't as well, then you should do take the time to sit down and watch "Vengeance: A Love Story", because it is well worth the time and effort.
7 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Who ordered the bad remake of Death Wish?
paradux21 March 2017
The Death Wish series from the 1970s, in spite of shaky dialog and ponderous intervals in the story when nothing much happened, was considered a A-List B-Movie in its day, offering unusually raw violence, badder than bad villains, and, oh yeah, sending Charles Bronson's career into hyperdrive.

Now, if someone had blogged that they were going to do a knockoff of that story in 2017 starring an older and slightly washed out Nicholas Cage (now in his 50s) I would have answered, "you're kidding." But nope, not kidding, the movie was made anyway.

I am a big fan of nostalgia films, and this all the ingredients, right down to characters so overwritten you would almost expect them to be wearing either a "white hat" or a "black hat" (for the sake of children in the audience), but the fact is that this is neither an engaging film nor an entertaining one. Which does not leave much on the table.

It could however sort of serve as a "curiosity" film, with lots of strange things going on:

* Don Johnson, once called "the sexiest man alive" overacts to an almost criminal degree as a .... criminal lawyer.

* Deborah Kara Unger plays one of the hottest grandmas in the history of film. I wish I could say this was my original observation but I first noticed it in a mainstream review cross-referenced by IMDb. So the best I can do is agree with the comment.

* in the middle of this otherwise dull film, there is an homage to that infamous scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark where a baddie pulls a knife on Cage and, Cage nonchalantly shoots him in the head without even breaking stride or changing expression. The whole scene takes 30 seconds, tops, but it is the highlight of the film. It may even end up on Youtube.

* Anna Huthison may possibly be auditioning for another movie entirely, and uses the film to show a pretty amazing range, from shameless tease to rape victim. One suspects she will be noticed. Deservedly so.
6 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
very good and irritating movie
bouhanamarc19 April 2017
well i was very pleased to see this very good movie i don't know why some people don't like it. this is a good thriller and take care of your nerve when you watch it because i wanted so much that the bad guys died and the lawyer too but i will not tell what happens you have to watch it if you like good thrillers that they don't do anymore, this is not an action movie, nicolas cage is patient and quiet but the woman who play in it make a very good acting with her daughter
8 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Showed potential....but
jsaus6330422 January 2018
This movie showed great potential in the very beginning. There were good characters and great plot development. Then it just fell flat. I guess the vengeance was supposed to be due to the connection between the detective and the victim, but I never felt any connection between them. The actual vengeance was poorly developed and the ending was pretty lame. There are better movies to watch.
Seriously?
luigiterra6 January 2018
Thanks for wasting my time and money - this garbage could be made by any 12 year old with a budget. Could easily be viewed as a parody over itself. Don´t bother, it´s not worth the frustration.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
like a really bad made for TV movie
Ansty Pansty2 July 2017
so this came up on netflix and it's got Nick Cage in it - why not. so i IMDBed it ad read the reviews. My theory is most people give a bad review and can't be bothered when it comes to giving a good one - so i took the negativity with a pinch of salt. what did make me apprehensive is A)Nick has done some really really superbly awful stuff of late - i mean dire. and b) it is on netflix - not made by netflix.

anyway - i implore you - believe me - this is 1 hr 40 you will never get back. it is like a small budget made for TV, badly acted and edited, but more than that - the story is actually rubbish.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
240. Vengeance: A Love Story.
tfminfl25 May 2018
240. Vengeance: A Love Story. A really, really, really bad movie. It stars The Cage, so automatically know there is over the top acting about to happen, I waited, and it never came. I think The Cage was replaced by a look a like for this one, no crazy faces, no bad one liners, ugh... I mean the best parts of the movie have The Cage killing all the bad guys in it. HIs performance was very lackluster... The basic story is this, Cage, a cop, meets a cute blonde in a bar, few days later, patrolling finds a little girl wandering in the street. Coincidentally its the blonde's daughter, and they have been attacked by a gang of redneck scumbags. The Cage feels a connection and follows the case carefully. One of the worst on screen court scenes then takes place, and its so laughably bad... The redneck scumbags manage to get a powerful lawyer, Sonny Crockett no less. And as you may have guessed the redneck scumbags get released, and The Cage knocks em off one by one, making it all look like either suicides, self defense, or just plain vanished. Funny thing, as each of their comrades end up dead, its never mentioned by the other characters, like, um, maybe leave town, nope, they get lured to their death's by strange cell phone calls in the middle of the night and they go for it. Just Bad. Nic I'm sorry, bud, but, its thumbs down for this one. Filmbufftim on FB.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.