Riverdale (TV Series 2017– ) Poster

(2017– )

First season good, second questionable, third season a 1/10
tzuuuUUUU29 January 2019
While first season was cheesy it still had an interesting story to follow, it was a great watch all in all for what it was 7.5/10. In the second season they started to run out of ideas and it was just "okay", I would rate it 5.5/10. The third season though.. oh my god. It might be one of the worst things ever made in human history. The writing is SO BAD, like its written by a 10 year old kid, everyone's acting is awful, like ten times worse than the first and second season. Nothing makes sense, no weight to anything.. everything is just awful. I would seriously give season 3 a 1 out of 10 and I am not kidding. A goddamn 1/10. Horrible.
747 out of 834 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I used to like this show
feliciaa-0832014 March 2019
I really liked the first season, the second we're okay but the third I don't even recognize the series I once used to like.

They have 1000 story lines at the same time, new things pop up all the time that makes no sense and some story lines are so unnecessarily because they just mess up the show more and in the end it didn't matter.

Also, (this isn't a "big" problem) but sometimes I think the creators forgets that the main cast is supposed to be 16 and not 20+.

I don't know why I keep watching it, probably because I've waisted so much time on this show and now it just make me laugh because it's so weird.
493 out of 553 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
100 m/h going downhill
Ahmadkkotb9 February 2019
What started as a strong teen drama with thrilling mysteries and good twists and hit season two with a good plot, by season three totally lost it's charm, it no longer has any logic or reason begind it, simply a bunch of teens walking around acting like they're adults and adults letting a bunch of kids run the town in the most ridiculous ways to the point it's no longer in connection with reality
293 out of 333 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
First season was good, the rest is not worth your time.
almabjellerup-530591 April 2019
Started out great interesting and intriguing. But not it's just simply the worst. One of the worst shows I've seen. Too bad, really liked the first season.
202 out of 239 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Do people still watch this
flynnwcarson13 April 2019
I actually used to like the show the first season was good the second season was questionable but the third is a complete mess
193 out of 231 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
First season is the only good season
cerenkarakas199714 December 2019
In the first season i was really into the show ,then I quit watching at the beginning of season 3.I think the first season is for everyone to watch but other seasons are meant for teens/high schoolers.
69 out of 87 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Getting worse and worse
ethanjjacobs21 March 2021
Season 1 6.5/10 Is a promising start to the show , a negative is that it can have very cringy scenes but is a decent season overall and ends on a great cliffhanger

Season 2 6.6/10 The show has a great start and is very entertaining people don't really enjoy this season as much as I do but I thought it was a decent season but could still be cringy at times.

Season 3 2.5/10 A decent start to the season but gets cringy , stupid and weird really quickly and for some reason gets a little supernatural. There were still some entertaining episodes but overall it's really dumb and a big downfall from the last 2 seasons

Season 4 2/10 Riverdale is a show that is getting worse and worse and gets stupider after every episode. I can't believe this show is still a thing there's not much to say about this season because it isn't really anything , it's boring and is now just a good because it's bad tv show.

Season 5 0.5/10 This season isn't over yet but so far it is a unwatchable show which is somehow still going, I can't believe I put myself through this terrible tv show. It ended season 4's "cliffhanger" in 1 episode and does a 6 year time jump to 2021?

Apparently this show was set in 2015 the whole time? This is a terrible show and it probably going to make at least 2 more terrible and embarrassing seasons.

I honestly don't know why I watched this far it was never a good tv show and was unwatchable at season 3.
11 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No. Just. No.
amandarekonwit9 July 2017
Someone recommended this show to my girlfriend. We both hate it, but she is committed to watching all of it, to give an honest critique back to her friend. And thus, so am I.

8 episodes in, and here is my take.

If you're 16, and are just beginning to watch and enjoy high school melodramas / teen movies and such, this is for you!

For everyone else, save yourself the time and embarrassment of even knowing that this show exists and go watch 'American Beauty' again, or 'Freaks and Geeks', or 'Six Feet Under', or 'My So Called Life'.

This show is trying so hard to be '13 Reasons Why', and failing miserably on all counts. Yes, I know, '13 Reasons Why' came afterwards, but the similarities are uncanny. ...Formulaic moody voice-over protagonist examining laughably cliché and shallow life-lessons at the start of each episode with an ongoing 'dark' mystery that I have literally no interest in discovering 'who the killer is'... ...This is, quite literally, the g-rated version of '13 Reason Why'. The baby brother that should have been aborted long ago.

I'm hate watching this show just to laugh at how bad the writing is, and how over-the-top the actors are in reading the lines. I genuinely feel sorry for all of the cast involved, since they are all stunningly gorgeous, late 20-somethings, for what is supposed to be a high school drama.

A lot of investment has gone into the production values, episode direction and 'Glee'-like songs, but that doesn't make up for the horribly predictable 1 bit characters.

I guess, since this is based on a terribly banal comic strip, that I'm supposed to look the other way, and expect it to just be a skin- deep romp. Like watching the movie-version of 'Battleship', knowing, and accepting, that there isn't any real substance underlying the content of what the show is originally based off of.

It's a shame really. I feel like this could have been something, had there been just ever so slightly a bit more comedy and charm worked into the characters. The only saving grace is Betty's gay best friend, who provides a strikingly blunt and hilarious perspective at times, and is seemingly always down to rave. He is a teen version of 'Elijah' from 'Girls'.

Contrast him, with the main character Archie. ... Archie is the most hatable character, despite always having the smoothest things to say to work him out of the most terribly awkward situations. He never lies to anyone, but it's laughable how everyone fawns over his presence and excuses his poor decisions.

For instance, one minor plot spoiler here... I find it really hard to watch and empathize with a high school football captain jock, who friend zones his smoking hot best friend while in the process of having a scandalous affair with his music teacher. Oh, and when his love triangle explodes, everyone gives him a pass with even his father basically patting him on the back and saying 'it's not your fault'. Really? It's not? Are you sure? Something feels terribly off about the entire ordeal.

A. He's dating a teacher. While this has been done before in other shows, 'Boston Public' comes to mind... ...Here it feel very... very... wrong and superficial. In one episode he acknowledges that he's just having fun with her and celebrating the present with little regard to what repercussions their relationship may have on his family/friends/her career. In the next, he's demanding commitment, and then parting ways with her while gifting her a cello string.

I guess, we're supposed to roll our eyes and accept it. But there's something very cringe-worthy in doing that, as it is with so many other aspects of this show (such as, watching cheerleaders twerk to a hiphop remixed song of 'sugar sugar').

There's a very no-good, terrible vibe, underlying this entire show, Laughing off very real subjects with terrible dialogue, predictable plot twists, and glitzy dance numbers.

...And now I've written too much about a show that isn't worth my spit. If you are absolutely desperate to watch a CW high school melodrama, ditch this and go watch Reaper.
317 out of 476 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just... just awful.
zachglad3 February 2017
Honestly to sum it up pretty quickly: this could seriously be any horrible CW teen drama with the names switched out. Literally just a bad show wearing Archie's skin. There's no actual reason this has to be an Archie show. The pacing is awful, the characters are dull and flat, the mystery is boring, the show takes itself way too seriously, and above all it's just ripping off Twin Peaks minus all the interesting bits. I fail to see why this had to be made or why we have to keep getting these washed up shitty teen dramas. Not all teenagers are this attractive or look like they're in their late 20s. I feel like these teen dramas are just a weird color by the numbers sort of thing. Like you need a sex scandal, a murder, at least one crying teen per episode, something about drugs, a really moody character, everyone has to be extremely attractive, lots of underage sex for some reason, and of course nobody actually looks their age. IMDb made me stretch this out to ten lines, but all in all the show is complete trash.
204 out of 308 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's enjoyable fluff.
Sleepin_Dragon12 December 2018
I'm stunned by just how many episodes they've managed to churn out, talk about over egging the pudding. The characters transform inexplicably from week to week, and everything is so absurd, that 99% of it is impossible to comprehend. Yet there is something rather addictive about it, sure it's full of beautiful people, but there are some really interesting characters too, Cheryl in particular, great fun. They have recycled scenes from Carrie, Halloween, and just about every movie you can think of, but who cares, this is low brow, trashy, hugely enjoyable escapism. I would never repeat watch it, but I'll always sit down to a new series. 7/10
153 out of 229 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't take it too seriously
trimblecali4 June 2019
This show is a teen soap opera. It's meant to be a bit ridiculous. Some episodes/storylines are better than others, for sure. But it's over the top-ness is part of the genre. It's entertaining.
51 out of 73 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A joke at this point
doylezoe12 November 2019
Riverdale has become a TV show that has fallen victim to the plague of being more popular than CW,Warner Bros and CBS suspected. They thought "let's make a great first season because there is no way this is going to pick up for a second". The plots make no sense now and the writing is poor. I believe there is no saving riverdale now. Just save yourselves 😂
38 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
CRINGE
armanwhannell5 July 2019
First season was good. The second season was OK. But after watching the third season I wonder whether this TV show should be nominated for the cringiest TV series ever. Who else agrees with me?
34 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't Look For Comics In Riverdale
atlasmb30 January 2017
The Archie Comics that originated in the 1940s were rated "G" for Goofy. Maybe not as goofy as "Scooby Doo", but it was a wholesome (you might say "square") universe. A version of "Archie" was even in bubble gum wrappers for a couple of years.

The universe of "Riverdale" is darker, promising that if you look closer, you can see the "shadows underneath". Sounds like "Twin Peaks".

The show features the characters we expect, but they are multi-dimensional, with problems and desires and secrets. Archie sees himself as flawed, but he wants to make music his life and vocation. Betty (his best friend) sees herself as inadequate, but she wants Archie to be more than a friend. Veronica (who just moved to Riverdale), sees herself as plagued by family history and publicity, but she wants to become a better person.

The show is very well cast. Each actor inhabits his character.

In the first episode, various secrets are alluded to, promising even more complications and conflicts than were revealed in the first installment.

Many standard themes of teen dramas are also part of this show, which may make it feel like home for some viewers. Others may grow weary of the usual tropes: the mean head cheerleader, the gay best friend, the closeted gay jock, the handsome athletic main character, the first day at the new school for the outsider. "Glee" explored many of them. And some of them date back to the forties, when Andy Hardy (the original inspiration for Archie comics) entertained us all with his teenage dramas. The show embraces them and even makes fun of them.

The first episode moves quickly, but not so quickly that viewers cannot follow. The foundation is in place for later episodes that can deliver a deliciously dark story that will entertain and allow its actors to blossom in their roles.
166 out of 271 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
lilyjejelol28 April 2021
Don't waste your time watching it. It's so bad it gave my cat cancer then it killed my neighbor please don't.
16 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If I could give season 3 a 0/10, I would. It is almost impressive how horrible it is
hannelncl16 March 2019
PLEASE TRUST THE BAD REVIEWS

Wow, I didn't even think it was possible to make a teen drama this bad. I started watching it because some friends recommended it, but thought it was pretty "good" for a teenage drama after watching the first season. I loved the characters and unlike in for example another teen drama Pretty Little Liars, the main mystery of season 1 was solved in the last episode of the season. I would personally give season 1 a solid 7/10. Season 2 was just another crazy mystery, slightly worse than the previous season, but boy, did they go wrong with season 3?? It is literally the worst I'VE EVER WATCHED IN MY ENTIRE LIFE. I catch myself still watching the new episodes because it is just entertaining how unbelievably bad this series is. The storyline is just embarrassingly bad, a 10 year old could have written something better, the characters are just becoming lamer and more stupid every episode and everything is just awkwardly exaggerated to a level I cannot understand. JUST DO NOT WATCH IT. I've watched plenty of good TV shows, so I know you should keep your expectations rather low I've you start watching a teenage drama, but wow, this is almost kind of impressive how horrible it is.
12 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
RIVERDALE review ...
dweilermg-13 March 2017
ARCHIE comic books were enjoyable reading for children preteen and younger cheerfully fantasizing about what our teen years would be like. This current RIVERDALE prime time soap has turned our beloved comic books (and later Saturday morning cartoon series) into something hateful in no way resembling the comics we all loved as children. Perhaps Melissa Joan Hart should reprise her role as Teen Witch Sabrina (an Archie spin off character) and visit Riverdale turning it back into the idyllic town we all loved. We can only hope for that as a great series finale.
83 out of 144 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Certainly not made for the fans of Archie Comics, but still a good show
Kennykenny18131 January 2017
A lot of the reviews on here seemed to be from Archie fans, so I thought I'd share my perspective; I've only ever read a couple of the comics.

From what I saw in the first episode, this series seems promising. Riverdale seems to be superior to other shows from the CW in a number of aspects. The first thing I noticed was decent cinematography, the shots were beautiful but not in your face. The performances also seemed to be consistently good throughout the cast, with Lili Reinhart and Luke Perry (surprisingly) being the standouts from the episode. The story line is intriguing, and the dialogue is a little better than some other CW shows. However the show does exhibit a fair amount of clinches and a sense of predictability. All in all, Riverdale seems promising and I'm definitely looking forward to the next episode!
169 out of 307 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This isn't the 1950s Archie...
kanati-211 May 2017
But in case you haven't been paying attention lately. The comic books aren't your 1950s Archie either any more. Archie, Jughead and the rest of the gang have been updated and dropped into the "real" world both in the comics and now on television.

I was never much of an Archie fan, leaning more towards the superhero and horror genres when I was younger, but I was aware of Archie on the periphery of my comic book reading habits. Occasionally I'd read a book or two but they never struck me as something I wanted to read regularly. So when this series was announced I went in with a little bias and actually didn't want to like it. I had too many shows competing for my time as it was. But I decided to give it a shot. I wanted to see what this updated, teen drama Archie had to offer.

Immediately, with the murder mystery I started getting a Rob Thomas Veronica Mars vibe from it and that is not a bad thing. Riverdale was suddenly layered and mysterious, yet still filled with characters you knew from Archie and Betty, to Pops and the Pussycats. These were people you could identify with with actual personalities beyond the pulp four color comic book world you remember them from. And they were eyeball deep in a mystery that had real consequences. And we got to learn about not just the "gang", but also their parents and some periphery characters that were rarely touched on in the comics. And best of all, the goofy sidekick Jughead is a much more interesting character and the narrator of the series showing him to be an intelligent person far beyond the hamburger munching cartoon of a character he is in the books.

I have just finished the season finale and look forward to the next season. It far exceeded my expectations.
94 out of 165 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
5th season is suprisingly good
maxinepuffington25 February 2021
If you can forget about how dumb and unrealistic this story is, then it's quite enjoyable.
13 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enough... Conclude the show!!
frangelfernandes30 January 2021
Please for gods sake please end the show... Its getting worse day by day. Don't the writers know how to end a show. The 1st season was good. The 2nd season is a disaster....its so irritating...its probably the worst season of the show...after 2nd season the show was still bad... Its like a typical indian serial where the writers have ran out of ideas and just don't know how to end the show.
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Over hyped. Over dramatic.
dexter_bad2 November 2018
Borefest where everything is dramatic and nothing is entertaining in the slightest way. Such great potential wasted. It's very disappointing and depressing that writers couldn't come up with anything remotely good or entertaining . Great cast but wasted story.
38 out of 62 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
They massacred my boy!
John6Daniels16 February 2021
OH Jeeez how could they massacre my boy. Anytime I have something good, they turn it into hash.

Its a dark mess where it tries to antice sjws and teenage demographic.

What can be learned? Nothing.

Verdict: Archie....Was turned into a made hash.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My eyes got hurt!
vako-957-63933029 January 2021
Okay lets start with storyline. First season was okay. But second and third was a total junk! It was worst fairytale I've ever heard. Even my grandma was tellin me better. And one more thing, am I only one here who's bothered of close up shots? It's like director's hiding something and every shot is blurry and too close..
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Never read the comics
fadlanamin2 March 2017
I have never read or even read the Archie comic books , so this review is based only the TV series

Riverdale is a dark , mysterious story about who-dun-it the murder of a teenager that claimed to be drowned in the river of a kinda- remote village Riverdale.

It has flaws , but the story line is interesting enough for me to follow this series. It has some cliché , an exhausting drama , unnecessary and lame romance and average directing and acting but the story is quiet interesting. There are a lot of twist and turn throughout the series. There's a saying "A good directing , acting and production doesn't make a good story" and in this case is the other way around. The story is the upside of this series ( The directing and acting it's not bad , but it's not good either ). Riverdale is a bit like The Killing , but from the social-circle of the victim's perspective.

Riverdale's quality is not in a True Detective or Fargo class , but it's worth the shot. 8/10

SIKEEE riverdale is really bad after season 1, the only way you could enjoy this series is by watching it ironically.
75 out of 132 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.