The Comeback Trail (2020) Poster

The Producers
nogodnomasters1 December 2020
Max Barber (Robert De Niro) and his nephew Walter (Zach Braff) are unsuccessful "B" movie producers. Max borrows money from Reggie Fontaine (Morgan Freeman) who demands a return or else. Max gets the idea to insure an old actor, have them do a dangerous stunt, die, and collect a healthy insurance check. Tommy Lee Jones as a washed up cowboy doing his own stunts is his mark.

The film had some aspects of "The Producers" but was not nearly as funny. (I am talking about the original and not the pitiful remake.) Kate Katzman is hired as the director for token eye candy. Predictable.

Guide: F-word. No sex or nudity.
15 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A pleasant watch
Gordon-1122 May 2021
This comedy is really pleasant to watch. It is light hearted, and it has many big names. I enjoyed it.
5 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great cast, nice easy to follow story.
deloudelouvain31 October 2021
The Comeback Trail deserves a higher rating than it gets at the moment (5.6 stars while I was writing this). Okay you will not die from laughing but it's certainly pleasant to watch. It's an easy movie to watch, well written, and with a great cast. Robert DeNiro, Tommy Lee Jones, Morgan Freeman, those are world class actors that almost never fail and they didn't in this movie. Add Emile Hirsch and Zach Braff to that cast and you get a movie full of talent and it clearly shows. To give this movie a negative review is just a bad judgement. As a comedy it's just lighthearted but not bad at all.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
not so bad at all...
ops-5253519 April 2021
With robert de niro at the top of his lungs, spraying verbal sprout everywhere, and ever so loveable tommy lee jones, has become so overcoming of age, still with a staggering limp and a wink in the eye. This is comedy alla 70's and 80's, and the filming sets reminded me about peter sellers ''the party'' with the signal horn in the intro.

So as the undead speaks still, there are still hope also for the grumpy old man, that gives a recommend for this one, cheesy in the juggularis, but suitable for the good old generation.its the art of thinking and imagination that rules the reign.
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hilarious and much better than I expected.
Top_Dawg_Critic23 August 2021
The all-star legendary trio did not disappoint, and the story was surprisingly well thought out and very cleverly written. You'll start to pick up on the many reversals of (mis)fortunes for almost every character, and how in reality they could've been the trend-setting future of the film industry. What I also enjoyed about the story, is how it shows the particular role every person involved has in the making of a film. Then add the awesome on-point comedy that was just right and perfectly executed by all cast, and this little gem of a film is a hit. It's a shame the critics went hard on this one. I'll be certainly watching it again, and it's a well deserved 8/10 from me.
11 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A good, (but not great) comedy, which deserves a bit more attention than it got...
imseeg13 May 2021
Not a great comedy, but certainly good enough for those fans of Tommy Lee Jones and Robert de Niro. Especially Robert de Niro has starred in lesser comedies in the past and however simple this comedy might be, it it still quite enjoyable, without getting big laughs though, because it is more amusing than straight forward funny.

The good: Tommy Lee Jones. If you love this actor (the older generation) then this movie is yet another example of this actor's wonderful CHARISMA.

More good: Robert de Niro and Morgan Freeman act well, (although they do not act at the best of their game), but I still did enjoy those two acting legends very much so. Both actors are not really suited for making comedies, but they are still quite amusing to watch.

The story: Robert de Niro (washed up producer, who only has made flops) is in debt by a gangster (played by Morgan Freeman). Robert de Niro decides to con the insurance by making a movie that will purposely kill the leading actor (Tommy Lee Jones) and reap the insurance benefits of the actor's death. Will he succeed?
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A bit funny at certain point, but overall full of annoying overuse scene! Should have done better!
kwenchow27 October 2021
This film start with a bunch of people boycotting the film at the theater, and a man "Max" talking with his nephew "Walter" scene! As turnout, this film is about Max planning to scam the insurance money by killing the movie star "Duke Montana", but he end up revitalize Duke Montana's acting career! Entire film full of boring conversation, and annoying overuse scene! Such as, overuse of the walking scene, overuse of the drinking scene, overuse of the staring scene, overuse of the driving scene, overuse of the quoting movie title scene, overuse of the blackout scene, overuse of the arguing scene, overuse of the calling names scene, overuse of the riding horse scene, overuse of the tripping scene, and overuse of the talking on the phone scene! Make the film unwatchable! At the end, Duke Montana riding his horse to meet with his lover "Bess" after the premiere of his movie! Still have a post credit scene! The trailer of the movie "Killer Nuns"! That's it! Another disappointed film!
5 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really good black comedy
masonsaul13 July 2021
Whilst it's blend of dark humour and slapstick comedy doesn't always work, The Comeback Trail is still a really good black comedy that's funny and heartwarming with good intentions. Robert De Niro and Zach Braff are both great and Tommy Lee Jones and Morgan Freeman are both really good. George Gallo's direction is really good, it's well filmed and well paced. The amount of jokes that land outweigh the ones that don't. The music by Aldo Shllaku is good.
6 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Decent film
elliotjeory22 June 2021
The script is good and the dialogue between the characters is sharp and funny which is important in a film. It has an excellent cast and it's a feel good film which is rare these days so overall a decent film.
3 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
watchable in FF ,far from Get Shorty or Meet the Focker level of direction/script
surfisfun17 April 2021
Not a 10 or a1 . Between a 4-7

Cinematography/direction / script so so.

For a cast of 3 old major A actors with so many good film , it is actually sad the movie will not be a rewatch. I dont know if a director can tell them how to act as they are like famous and rich and very aged. Potential not reach.

Check out at 15:10 minutes when Niro spits out as he scream toward the other actor, weird in covid times ..... you think the editor would have removed that part.
5 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's A Fun, Enjoyable, And Very Funny Movie
HabibieHakim12310 May 2021
"It's a fun, enjoyable, and very funny movie, while it's still not a perfect movie, De Niro, Tommy Lee Jones, and Morgan Freeman hilarious perfomance makes The Comeback Trail succeed making me laugh so hard and having a good time"
16 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Slow start but but Act 2 is hilarious
trinaboice15 December 2020
IN A NUTSHELL: With a powerhouse cast, this comedy pokes fun at the film industry itself. A movie producer who is mixed up with the mob tries to use an aging movie star in an insurance scam, but the plot thickens...The fun movie is directed by George Gallo. He also wrote the screenplay with Josh Posner based on a 1982 film by Harry Hurwitz. The movie premiered at the 2020 Mill Valley Film Festival. Other than the language, I was extremely entertained.

TIPS FOR PARENTS: Profanity, including sooo many F-bombs both spoken and written Attempted murder Guns Alcohol People in perilous situations

THEMES: "You have to be what you are. No apology." - Duke Montana (Tommy Lee Jones) Dishonesty Greed Hope Friendship

THINGS I LIKED: The stellar cast includes several Academy Award winners and nominees like Robert De Niro, Morgan Freeman, Emile Hirsch, Tommy Lee Jones, Zach Braff (I loved him in Scrubs- Seasons 1-6), Malcolm Barrett, Patrick Muldoon, Kate Katzman, and so many more Extras who all do a great job. There is great chemistry on screen. One scene was so touching, a horse shed a tear. True story. ha ha There's a female director in the movie who says that she hopes her work will inspire more women to get into filmmaking. It's a lot of fun to watch some of these old movie stars working together and dazzling at what they do best. The last time we saw some of these legends together was the 2013 Last Vegas. What's amazing is that Robert De Niro, Tommy Lee Jones, and Morgan Freeman are equally effective in drama films as they are in comedies. Agism is real in Hollywood, just like in most industries nowadays, so I love that they're able to pump out movies in their 70s and 80s. All of their movies haven't been huge hits, but I always enjoy their performances. The action sequences are hilarious. You'll end the movie with a smile on your face. I've always gotten a kick out of the premise of a film made inside a film. The length of the movie is perfect and doesn't overstay its welcome.

THINGS I DIDN'T LIKE: It takes a little while to get going but becomes immediately entertaining when Tommy Lee Jones works his magic on the silver screen. The original movie was set in the 1970s, but this one doesn't focus very much on that era. Stereotypes of American Indians and African-Americans. The movie poster is way too busy.

You can see the rest of my review on my Movie Review Mom YouTube channel or website.
23 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pretty Good, Not as Funny as I hoped though
docm-3230413 November 2021
I watched this film because of the cast. How can a movie with DeNiro, Morgan Freeman and Tommy Lee Jones be bad? The premise is good and I expected side splitting humor, but it just doesn't come off as smooth and fast as I expected. However, Tommy Lee is fantastic and it still makes for an enjoyable watch. I could do with a lot less profanity, but that seems to be a Hollywood signature on anything made in the last decade.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beautiful aspects are overshadowed by cartoon comedy.
movieman6-413-92951026 November 2020
The Comeback Trail is a remake of the 1982 action comedy of the same name. This remake is directed and partly written by George Galo, the director of Middle Men and 29th Street.

The film is about the film producer Max Barber (Robert De Niro), who has not been able to make successful films for a while. For financial support, he borrowed money from the mafia and now he owes money to criminal Reggie Fontaine (Morgan Freeman). When he learns that Duke Montana (Tommy Lee Jones) .the lead role of his new planned movie has a high life insurance premium, Max tries to have him die. He hopes to be able to use the money from Duke's life insurance to pay off the mafia. Unfortunately for Max, Duke keeps surviving all of his dangerous stunts.

This movie is nicely filled with information about how she used to make movies. For example, this film is fun for film fans who are interested in the information of films and what happens behind the scenes. Unfortunately, the film later turns more into a cartoon like the Looney Tunes Roadrunner and Wile Coyote, where the film producer always unsuccessfully tries to kill the actor in a deadly way. Thus the film loses its seriousness and looks more like a children's film. The film is so much more fun for a younger audience and older viewers who like childish humor. Apart from the comedy elements, the film also has a good drama aspect about two elderly men who are somewhat insecure about their life and career in the film world. Unfortunately, this aspect is also somewhat overshadowed by the film's comedy.

The acting is well done by the film cast. Robert De Niro is doing well as the film producer who always tries to kill his star player without success. However, this is not the best comedy in which he has appeared in recent years. Morgan Freeman has a smaller role in this movie, but it's nice to see him again in the role of a villain. Tommy Lee Jones knows how to carry this film, even though he only actually appears in the film halfway. He comes across as an older actor, who no longer plays in major movie roles. This is almost really the case for his real acting career, as he can now be seen more in smaller film roles.
26 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Watch only for the legends
rehmankhilji19 October 2021
The movie is ordinary but there are big names and big stars in it.

Not much the movie has to offer but its only the names one should give a look at it.

Dont expect too much.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
funny comedy
yvesdemaria12 May 2021
Not a masterpiece but definitely very funny and witty.

De Niro as a washed out Hollywood producer is pretty awesome!

8/10.
6 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Shockingly bad.
krzysiektom20 July 2021
It's amazing how bad this film is. Awful script and bad director. Boring, not funny, dumb, and looking like a movie on a very small budget. I wonder why acting heavyweights like De Niro, Freeman and Lee Jones agreed to participate, maybe they did it as a favor to someone, or maybe these days they will do any movie for any paycheck.
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Embarrassing
a_mobbs26 June 2021
A great cast who are probably in this only to pay for alimony or new wives. Only watch if this is the only thing on.
9 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This could have been better if the roles were switched
phoenixinvictus27 April 2021
If Morgan Freeman had played the "down on his luck producer" and Robert de Niro had played the gangster I believe that it would have been funnier. It has its laughable moments and a few gags but as I said I believe that a simple switch of roles could have pushed this to a six star.
11 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Five stars for Robert De Niro, Tommy Lee Jones and Morgan Freeman.
pontus-randen27 September 2021
Zero stars for the rest. If you truly love one of, or all, the actors Robert De Niro, Tommy Lee Jones and Morgan Freeman then I guess this is a movie for you.

If not, then it is not.

And, of course, there is a bunch of politically correct complete bullocks at the end, which we in the audience are so fed up getting fed with.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An amazing cast...but barely watchable!
Go_For_The_Jugular16 April 2021
Imagine a scenario where all the greatest stars from your favourite sport come together for the biggest game in your favourite sport's history...

...but no points are scored.

This should of, (and could of), been so much better.

Ps - to the reviewer that said 'No talent Robert De Niro'...I suggest you switch to reviewing restaurants, because anyone that thinks RDN is talentless, isn't cut out for movies!
28 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No juice
mr-altex16 April 2021
Actors are doing what they can, the premise is all right, but the overall output of the movie is just boring.

I should not be surprised that it is a remake of something from the 80s, it felt like that but with the modern polishing.

It would surprise me if this took them more than 2 weeks to shoot because it seems like a cheap money grab with famous names but bad comedy.
35 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Classic hollywood action/comedy/drama with deep thoughts
lord_cw23 July 2021
If you like these classic storyline of a comeback story, this is your thing. It is in a modern jacket. Great to OK special effects (what is really pity because some are done really nice), acting is OK to good what makes it OK. The storyline is done really realistic making it nice and natural, but also some points are just out of the world too Hollywood. There are hardly any surprises in the movie, making it a bit predictable, but nice is some comedic elements.

Pity, with this amount of budget and great actors it is just an average production.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dumb Fun 6.5 From Me
darius_sutherland29 September 2021
Not sure why this has a rating in the 5's. I've seen much higher ratings for much worse. It's nothing amazing but it provided us with some silly slapstick predictable humour. It was an enjoyable simple movie. I'm finding it harder and harder to find funny movies these days. They seemed to have stop making comedies and many have the comedy tag added to them and they are far from comedies. Silly, lighthearted fun. De Niro and Freeman do a good job and Tommy was excellent too.
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lazily directed comedy which lacks laughs
chris-h-38 October 2021
Tommy Lee Jones plays his part well, as always, and I think Robert De Niro here also puts in a lot of effort. Zach Braff is given very little to do and Morgan Freeman is in a couple of scenes.

I can see why this took so long to come out though as the film feels half done, none of the comedic moments hit as being funny, and the action scenes have no drama. The direction is flat and at times the production just looks cheap. Its a great premise for a film and I'm sure with this cast it could have been a great film. A shame really.

When the rushes are screened and they are all fully scored, edited and colour corrected, you might forgive that if the film were more involving or if the music and colour faded in as if the cast watching it were imagining it ...but as it is it seems unconvincing and lazy.

It almost feels like they either ran out of money during editing/post production or else just saw what they had filmed and gave up.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.