The Wolf Hour (2019) Poster

(2019)

Nothing, over and over
catebaum23 September 2019
It seems the creator of this movie wrote in a scene in the bath so he could tell funders he had a nude Naomi Watts and they gave him the cash. There seems no other way this script would have made it to production. It's barely a draft.
17 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dreary and oppressive
biljao2582 October 2019
I've been a fan of Naomi Watts ever since she played perky Betty in Mulholland Drive (1999) and she has a pretty solid filmography ever since ( just a few duds). She has the courage to play 'screw-up personality' roles for instance in the recent (forgettable) mini TV series Gypsy (2017) and now this movie. But not even her acting can offset the dismal and implausible story line and completely unengaging lead character part. How do investors/producers (including Watts as an executive producer) come to think this movie will have any audience appeal?
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Watts' performance cannot save a bad plot
rossjayp1 February 2019
June (Watts) was a celebrated counter culture author (apparently from a well-to-do family) that wrote a well received novel that was more or less a biography of her father. That biography exposed illicit activities of her fathers company which resulted in legal issues and significant strife within her family. The movie opens with June in self-enforced isolation in a Bronx apartment circa 1977 during a summer heat wave, and if you know your history when there was a large power blackout and subsequent fires and looting.

Watts gives and outstanding performance, but there is little she can do to resolve terrible story writing from writer/director Alistair Banks Griffin.

The first full hour of the movie portrays June as paranoid, depressed, and in obvious self imposed isolation. Suspense build as the viewer assumes that the backstory for June must include some terrible event that shaped her life and made her so fearful. The setting of a bad part of the Bronx during a summer heat wave where she can see crime outside her apartment window reinforced the suspense. There are even radio news snippets that the audience overhears of a serial murderer that is targeting long haired brunettes (you guessed it, Watts' character matches that description). There is also the recurring ringing (and annoying) of her intercom at random hours of the night to make you think somebody is stalking her.

We find out that the horrifying event that has so traumatized June was the impact her book had on her family, and her fear of leaving her apartment has nothing to do with her personal safety, but her fear that she will do more damage to the world at large. We also discover that her ordeal and self imposed isolation has lasted 4 years.

The writer takes 2 full acts of suspense, scene setting, and character building relying on the incredible talents of Watt to keep the viewer engaged to spectacularly let them down with a petty problem that has only a paper thin relationship to the established paranoia.

The third act continues the disappointment as miraculously, a few minor interactions with people (a grocery store delivery guy, her sister, a male prostitute, and a phone call to her publisher) beings a rapid transformation in the character the defies belief. There isn't a clear "thing" that triggers June's transformation. There is an odd conversation with the male prostitute that could have been intended by the writer as the turning point, but it comes off as a non-important moment.

Regardless, the character resolves her writers block and suspends a great deal of her paranoia to allow her to dust of her typewriter and finish her book that was 4 years in the making - all in 1 month.

The final scenes have June leaving her apartment and watching the sunrise while surrounded by the destruction of the nights riots.

This is a really basic story that follows a common hero quest motif (aka The Hero Journey) that most of us learn in grade school English. The only thing that holds the first 2 acts together is Watts' performance and the contrived suspense. The plot device around her paranoia falls flat, and the 3rd act wraps up so rapidly that the lead character just comes off as petty.
22 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Terrible story supported by a great actor
rossjayp3 February 2019
Watts' is phenomenal in what is otherwise a terrible story. The writer uses a tired and obvious story telling structure and has a weak plot device for the main character. Watts does as best as she can with a script so mediocre.
19 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Slow Burn with no payoff
Rhusky2 July 2019
The praises from critics on this one actually baffle me. I have never longed for a movie to end as much as I did sitting through this one. I feel the writer had a bunch of ideas in their head for the direction this movie should go and could not decide on one to go with l. Can not recommend enough saving your time and money on this one
17 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Conflicted
benprichardsdotcom24 September 2019
The acting is pretty good from all the characters, but especially Watts. Visually it's oppressive, the sound design sets you on edge, I hated that buzzer ringing over and over and over again for no purpose. But, the script is atrocious!

This film should never have gotten past the proof readers, it is junk. The idea is great, laden with plenty of opportunity and Naomi Watts definitely has it in her talents to give the storytelling exactly what it needs.

I mean, come on, a sweaty lecherous police officer denied his I'll gotten gains by a handheld radio, in the 70's? They might well have had those radios back then but that is a lazy way to resolve a narrative dead end. And this buzzer that keeps ringing with no one on the other end? Just get it repaired for the love of god. And why place so much emphasis on this serial killer if you're going to abandon it completely?

All in all, it should be a lot better, it's still more enjoyable than say, Hugo or The Zero Theorem - but it ranks alongside those for sheer opaqueness.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
99 minutes of miserable
WVfilmfem24 September 2019
....of miserable nothingness. In short, a waste of 99 minutes of your time, unless you like being miserable and depressed yourself.
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Watts saves the movie
rhcppepers23 September 2019
Watts is one of the best actors of the last 20 years. Without her, this movie would have been a disaster. Watch it, just for her performance alone.
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One man Show from Naomi Watts
j_burnel23 September 2019
It's a startling portrayal of a woman barely holding it together - for the first half hour, the film feels just one or two crises away from Repulsion. Watts, however, is never not in control, keeping Leigh's simmering hysteria just short of the boiling point. Stuck in place yet always in motion, she creates a woman who paces a cage built of self-loathing and shame.

Her emotional credibility is essential to the film's success; even though Leigh's personal demons seem real, the facts of her family history sometimes feel false, a crazy quilt of disconnected details. She's the granddaughter of a famous opera singer - who lived in a tenement in the South Bronx? A paranoid recluse - who impulsively hires a male escort from a newspaper ad? No movie should ask you to believe more than one improbable thing yet The Wolf Hour keeps the demands coming. But Watts remains relentlessly watchable, and the film - which, with its single-set locale, could feel stage-bound - starts bringing other, equally complicated people on screen
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A non sensical bore
Gordon-117 October 2019
This film tells the story of a woman who locks herself in her home.

What I can tell you, the film is definitely not a thriller. There is no thrill or suspense. In fact, it is full of boredom. The story is not engaging, not captivating and not sensical. If she is so scared of the outside, I struggle to find it sensical that she keeps the windows wide open. The story doesn't go anywhere either. It is just really boring.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Wolf Hour - An Honest Take on Life and it's Difficulties
andrexbtst2 October 2019
Things are never what they appear on screen. The art of film making consists in telling a story inside a story, in using subtleties and hidden (sometimes not so hidden) meanings to convey a concept, an idea, to makes us thing about the nature of our existence. In that aspect The Wolf Hour is like any other movie, but there is a fundamental difference that changes The Wolf Hour from a regular movie to a wonderful experience.

In essence, all movies are the same, right? We have a setting, we are introduced to the characters, and then something unforeseeable happens to those characters, and then we got ourselves a movie. What is different about The Wolf Hour is that, very simply, nothing happens. We are not watching the beginnings of a disturbance in a character's life, in The Wolf Hour that disturbance already happened, and instead what we're dealing with is the aftermath of said disturbance.

When we first meet June she is in a bad place, in every aspect that is possible for a modern human being to be: physically, emotionally and economically. We are immediately drawn to the question "What happened to that woman?" And as the movie progresses, we get answers to that question. Those answers come in various forms, hidden in conversations, shown to us through an old cassete tape, through a phone call, through an incredible act of faith that takes form in a "Hail Mary" request for the odd delivery boy. What we witness on screen are not exactly the actions of June, since she is just going through the motions, uncertain of her future, but what drives her to take those actions and her reaction the the way they unfold.

The Wolf Hour is a deep and emotional character study of a once great woman who let her insecurities and fears get the best of her, and how in the darkest moment she sees clearly what's most important to her in life. It's an honest take on how life can get you down beyond your worst nightmares, nut how your worst enemy will always be yourself. You will always be the person to beat.

In the end, I think we all see ourselves in June. I know I did. "Is that character you?"
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What the hell is this
irvine-thomas23 September 2019
Anyone who give this more than a 1/10 it a production company employee. This was a load of crap
7 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A suspenseful contained character study
stephenherman19 August 2019
This is not a horror. It's not even really a thriller. It's more like a dark character study with some very suspenseful moments. Naomi Watts was amazing! Great direction, stunning visuals & set pieces. The film really captured the feel of the 70s and setting during the Summer of Sam was genius. So.much to unpack in this film, it definitely warrants a few rewatches.
9 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This Movie was Very PC...Pure Crap
dagourick25 September 2019
Another one of those waste of time movies, I had a feeling about half way through it was going into a big, pile of nothing but I kept hoping for that big turning point that was going to make this a good movie but nope. My advice...move on, nothing to see here.
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Naomi Watts did it!
sellersev25 September 2019
Naomi Watts at her best! A Golden Globe or an Oscar nomination? She definitely nailed the character in this dramatic thriller. Kudos to Naomi!
4 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
GREAT MOVIE
officialhaydenthompson30 January 2019
Instant classic and Sundance nominee!! Would definitely recommend to friends and family, Naomi Watts is magical!
8 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great film, absolutely recommend
lillobrancato30 January 2019
Great film, great production overall from the acting, writing, and direction. Absolutely loved the performance by Naomi Watts.
8 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Something to see!
nikiincorvia30 January 2019
This was a great production. It was edgy, captivating and elusive. Definitely worth viewing, you won't be disappointed.
4 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Yes! Naomi!
sinanseyhan28 September 2019
Can we all take a moment to acknowledge the fact that Watts is a g*****n amazing actrice!!!!! People who have or have had any form of agorafobia will know she is acting the truth.
1 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Watts is superb
george.schmidt19 August 2019
THE WOLF HOUR (2019) *** Naomi Watts, Jennifer Ehle, Kelvin Harrison, Jr., Jeremy Bobb. Watts is superb as a writer on an emotional downward spiral after the death of her grandmother and holing up in her South Bronx apartment during the Summer Of Sam in NYC (1977) with her mind playing tricks on her and ultimately her conflict of remaining in her home despite the fact the outside world will always be a factor. Director Alistair Banks Griffin taps into his inner Polanski echoing the legendary filmmakers' 'apartment trilogy' with the right amount of dread, despair and claustrophobia.
2 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A pleasant surprise.
sevengunner14 October 2019
I can only applaud this movie for portraying the most believable picture of anxiety and mental issues. And I love how we get the picture painted of New York and the world outside June's apartment only by looking out of her window and the occasional news broadcast.

This is the kind of movie I really want to re-visit. But I don't look particularly forward to another go at this darkness.. Anyway.. By the end you really feel like you know this woman. Even though we have only had insinuations about her life before we meet her. Insinuations is in fact key in the telling of this story. This movie is in my opinion very well written, very well, directed and very well acted. As a result I was very pleasantly surprised.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Wolf Hour
BlueSkies7654 October 2019
I love this movie. I thought it was a nice break from the usual formulaic movies. It was engaging to see the process of isolation in an urban area, notably the violent Summer of Sam era in the then almost bankrupt NYC. I thought it was nice to see how NYC in the 70s was visualized. Noami Watts also did an excellent job of making you go through a range of emotions with her character June.

Like the scene where she banked on Freddie to deliver the only copy of her book, giving him her last money and hoping he would come back with the check. You could feel the despair. And there are many memorable moments like this.

It was also nice that the ending stayed away from the usual formulaic act of physically fighting a bad guy but uses the riots as a vehicle for her to overcome her fear. If there was a moment to fear the outside world it was that moment of lawlessness. However June was too busy worrying about Freddie that she forgot about her own fear and this resulted in her overcoming her fear. It was really creative writing.

I thought the movie was an unique experience with many memorable moments.
0 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
ghost rider oh hell yes
bleak933 October 2019
This movie is brilliant and I think the directer is the next Aronofsky. Not one detail was out of place. Totally a time capsule of the old NYC before it was assimilated by satan's government, bankers etc. From the opening shot (Physical Graffiti lol) to the end. Better than Summer of Sam because it doesn't give answers; it shows them in the subtle details and reflective nuances. If you like great movies, don't let the gen pop of one star reviewers who should stick to super heroes and the rest of holly weird deter you from seeing it.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A decent thriller
moscalifar-6872724 September 2019
Just saw it and found it pretty decent, could be way better but...Anyway enjoyed it and Watts perforamance was ok
0 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.