Journeyman (2017) Poster

(I) (2017)

Sincere, heartbreaking, and hopeful, Journeyman is a feat of acting and direction.
asdlkfjq28 March 2018
Journeyman is a near perfect film, in my opinion. It's simple, but elegant, allowing the characters to breathe and develop. It's *beautifully* acted by Paddy Considine and Jodie Whittaker, who frankly should have had awards thrown at them for the scene that you probably came to the review page to read about, and it's directed to perfection by BAFTA-winning writer and director Paddy Considine, who allows every actor to give the best performance possible and who has a great eye for framing.

Considine's career-defining performance is what will draw most people into watching Journeyman- he's nothing short of amazing- but it's Jodie Whittaker who steals the show. She's just heartbreaking, conveying the subtleties of Emma's situation masterfully. It's a remarkable, understated performance that looks effortless, and the fact that she only received an Evening Standard Award nomination for her performance in this film is just criminal. Doctor Who fans should consider themselves lucky to have her as the 13th Doctor.

Laurie Rose is the director of photography for this film, and while most of it stays focused on the characters, Journeyman is quite beautifully shot. The editing by Pia Di Ciaula is sharp, and the score and sound design are pretty good too.

Journeyman is a remarkable film: it's devastating, yet hopeful; it's beautifully acted, directed, and filmed; and it's a showcase for two of Britain's finest acting talents. Once again, Paddy Considine proves himself to be an actor, writer, and director to watch.

9.5 out of 10
17 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Considine again proves he is the most talented name in British cinema
Drumcheeny29 March 2018
This is a beautiful film - peppered with moments of humour and breathtaking moments of shock. The use of music is inspiring (Nick Cave amongst the most wrenching) and Considine is a thoughtful and innovative director. I was fortunate enough to be at the screening where he attended for a Q&A and he spoke about the set being the actors' house and how they all feel comfortable and safe. And it shows. Jodie Whittaker is striking in her performance and all the supporting cast shine rather than simply be there. It is a shame that Paddy doesn't get the recognition he deserves. He spoke about turning up for films where he was disappointed in his part and the people he was working with - he is "in films for five pages" whilst we get the Hiddlestons and Redmaynes shoved at us. We should focus on the Paddy Considines and Stephen Grahams a lot more. A lovely, thoughtful and ultimately very moving story beautifully played out by craftsmen.
15 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A remarkable sophomore effort from Considine. Packs well more than a punch
georgetdavies30 March 2018
It started about 20 minutes into the film. It then reoccurred every 10 minutes or so for the remainder of the duration. I've not cried like that at a film for I don't know how long. Like an emotional dementor Paddy Considine's second picture as a director takes so much, and give it back in equal measure.

I could say it was a like a punch to the face. A knockout of a film. It took me the full 12 rounds. It had me up against the ropes and... I could say these things. But they'd be naff -especially when describing this bruiser of a film.

It follows Matty Burton, an ageing boxer who knows his times spent and is ready to take his last steps into the ring before hanging up the gloves. But fate has another idea. Sounds familiar right? That's what I thought. Benefitting from having not seen the trailer, which I'd strongly advise avoiding if possible, I was of course shocked at the tale that followed.

Matty revives an injury which alters the course of his life. The film is really about how it affects not just him but those around him, namely his two friends and most of all his devoted wife, portrayed by Doctor Who's Jodie Whitaker, in a career best role. It's a boxing film but more than that it's a film about those we love and who care for us. It's about identity in some ways, fight in others, but love in every way.

Set mainly in the family home of Matty, his wife and their baby daughter Mia, the film is, for the most part, a domestic tale about a man recovering from a traumatic injury and a family recovering from the fallout of it.

When I say domestic I mean in the sense that the action is all contained within the confines of the house; not the ring. As a director Considine creates tension from the most ordinary of sights and sounds, a crying baby, the call of a name. He also crafts more than a couple of shocking moments, also within the house. These really shock. They're sudden, viscous and yet they create no feelings of anger, only anguish and desperation for our two leads.

Considine proved himself as a more than competent director with Tyrannosaur, and also a capable writer with Shane Meadows' Dead Mans Shoes. Here he goes beyond that. The original score is used when necessary and removed entirely at just the right moments, a certain phone call scene is one of the films standouts. It never tips into the melodramatic or pandering which I was very worried it would.

However above all this directorial talent which produces and almost insist on such incredible emotional response, it's the acting of Considine and Whitaker which truly blew me away. Considine is utterly convincing, scarily so at times. Whitaker more than matches him too in what is a very different but no less enthralling portrayal. Being a small British film (small only in the sense of it not getting a wide release) I don't expect any awards to come raining down. But I also don't think I'll see another pair on screen this year who put as dynamic and heartfelt a performance as these two. Absolutely stellar.

Yes it is a knockout. It did hit me with an emotional guy punch. And yet it's so much more than the cliches thrown its way would have you believe. See it.
13 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Emotional KO
justice_for_allro2 August 2018
Paddy Considine did it again after the great directorial debut with Tyrannosaur. Without a doubt he is one of the best actors among directors and one of the best directors among actors. The complexity of the character he is interpreting is nothing short of amazing, Jodie Whittaker being great as well in portraying a various range of emotions. I'm amazed of the lack of popularity it has now, but I hope time will fix this as it's easily one of the best movies of 2018. Of course, one has to reach a certain emotional maturity in order to fully appreciate a masterpiece like Journeyman.

Is this a "traditional boxing" movie? NO! Boxing here serves only as a mere context for a heartbreaking story about love, forgiveness, despair, respect, will and hope. A film about taking the most important things in life for granted: health, family and unconditional love.

Is this a pleasant movie to watch? NO! But like all great movies, the payoff is worth going through this emotional rollercoaster. And the ending, although having a certain positive vibe and could be described as a "happy" ending, is being delivered without the elements that would have made it cliché like ending.

Paddy Considine offers a "free" master class in writing, directing and acting so I highly recommend it to anti mainstream film lovers!

PS: Jawbone (2017) is another good UK made, boxing themed independent film boxing fans should check out.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of my top picks! The most underrated film of 2017
tkaine31 August 2018
Paddy Considine really out did himself this time. What a spectacular film. The acting from everyone in this feature is outstanding and Paddy who also wrote and directed undoubtedly is a star when wearing all 3 hats.

The videography was sharp and well crafted the sound effects along with intense music made you feel the emotions from the characters, unfortunate as it was even when his head felt like it was going to explode.

I don't do spoilers so I won't speak much about the storyline you can read the synopsis yourself, but Paddy wrote this so superbly there won't be enough time in the day to pursue every offer he will soon be receiving to act, write and or direct.

Congrats to everyone involved in this film you should be proud of yourselves.

I give this a Totally Awesome movie rating at 9 for 'Journeyman' meaning someway somehow this needs to be the next film you see. It packs a heartfelt punch.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beautiful
ilovegod-4595625 February 2018
I don't have much to criticize when talking about Journeyman. Actually, aside from the fact that Jodie Whittaker wasn't in it enough, I don't have anything to criticize at all. Journeyman offers a new perspective on boxing movies- one that focuses on life outside of the ring and the importance of the sport- and on the loss of self, portrayed by Considine in what is one of the best performances I have ever seen

I'm surprised that Paddy Considine wasn't nominated for anything more than a BIFA for Best Actor. His performance is meticulous, engrossing, and heart-wrenching, easily among the best performances that I have *ever* seen by an actor. The role of Matty is one that any other actor would overplay, but Considine's measured portrayal proves just how great of an actor he is without ever feeling vain. He fully embodies the character in every way imaginable, leading to one of the most captivating and honest performances I have ever seen.

The supporting performances are also uniformly strong, but it's Paddy Considine's show and he's transcendent. I do wish that Jodie Whittaker had more to do- but she leaves a big impact in the little she has. And Considine's acting during that phone call scene...

Overall, Journeyman is a very strong film because of it's powerful performances and good direction. It's heart-wrenching and well thought out, and it's a film that's worth a watch just to see how good Considine's performance is.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A spoiler-free review of Journeyman
asdfadsfads11 March 2018
Paddy Considine's Journeyman is just a wonderful film. It's tough to watch, but the performances and direction are just so good that you can't help but be pulled into it.

Paddy Considine and Jodie Whittaker are nothing short of terrific. Their chemistry is palpable and they each bring depth and subtlety to their characters. I might sound like I'm gushing about the film, but it really is that good. Considine's performance is disconcertingly good and one of the best I've seen in my whole life. He underplays it perfectly- his tics and facial expressions are technically brilliant and hard to watch. Whittaker may have a supporting role, but she shines brightly, bringing warmth, strength, complexity, and devastating emotion to a character that I don't think would have been as good in the hands of another actor. Just like with his previous and equally good (if much more shocking) Tyrranosaur, Considine once again directed award-worthy performances from the cast. Paul Popplewell and Anthony Welsh also give strong, emotional performances that turn supporting characters into real-feeling people.

Journeyman is also directed and edited very, very well. There are some moments that have you on the edge of your seat and that are genuinely scary, while others will move you to tears (THAT scene). The editing is sharp and shocking and the score is also good. Laurie Rose captures the action cleanly and brightly.

5 stars. This film will stick with me.
8 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good Boxing Tale Which Reveals The Darker Side
Pairic4 April 2018
Journeyman: Matty Burton (Paddy Considine) is in the final days of his career as a boxer, he won the World Middleweight title on points and is now planning one last fight defending the belt before retirement. His opponent is the young and lippy Andre Bryte (Anthony Welsh), unlike Matty, he has won all of his fights to date. Matty wins a close victory but after he returns home he is discovered unconscious by his wife Emma (Jodie Whittaker). Matty has suffered a brain injury.

A moving story about how acquired brain injury may lead to long and short term memory loss and physical incapacities. but also how in frustration Matty unknowingly becomes violent towards Emma and later puts his daughter at risk due to strange behaviour. His friends are absent at first but later return when Emma flees unable to cope with Paddy.

Great performances all round but a couple of things niggle, in particular the fact that Matty did no have a carer. The Burtons were obviously well off and all professional boxers have to carry medical insurance, especially those at the top level. So it is unlikely that Emma would have been left alone to care for Matty. This reduces my rating to 7/10.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
JOURNEYMAN is a heartbreaking love story set in the world of professional boxing
paulraylaight28 March 2018
Very moving film brilliantly acted and directed by Paddy Considine.

The story begins with World Champion Matty Burton (Considine) and the build-up to his fight with brash, unbeaten and mouthy prospect Andre Bryte (Anthony Welsh). Supporting Burton is his wife, Emma (amazing Jodie Whittaker), and the two have a young child together. The opening montage establishes Burton's life showing he has everything to fight for including: family, friends, pride, career and community.

After the fight in the ring Considine and Whittaker take centre stage in a deeply moving portrait of a family coming apart due to tragic circumstances. Their performances as two characters battling to stay in love, together and just fighting to keep going is remarkable. There are so many startling scenes and moments which punch and wind you; this story moved me beyond words.
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not your average Boxing movie. Journeyman is led by two incredible performances
houseofwoodcock6 April 2018
Journeyman needs an international release. It is straightforward in its narrative, but truly scary at times and emotionally devastating throughout. Paddy Considine's second film as writer and director is equally as good as his first (Tyrannosaur) but it has received little to no recognition. I hope that this film gets a wider release because the performances by Paddy Considine and Jodie Whittaker were nothing short of astonishing. Considine delivers one of the best performances that I have *ever* seen- he fully embodies the character of Matty to devastating effect- and Whittaker (although her role is very different and much smaller) matches him every step of the way in a courageous and open-hearted performance. The two actors just knock it out of the park in every scene. The supporting cast is also uniformly strong.

With any other actor/writer/director at the helm, Journeyman would feel like a vanity project, but Considine makes sure that it doesn't. Instead, he delivers a film full of genuine human emotion and powerhouse performances. Watch this now.
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Considine is great. But none of it felt cinematic. It was more like a one-off TV drama.
gricey_sandgrounder25 February 2018
Boxing is a very well decorated sports sub-genre. You can list off a number of high-quality films from this category that have received high praise from the audience and been given a number of major awards. Two of them have even won Best Picture at the Oscars, Rocky and Million Dollar Baby. But nowadays, I think it's tough to make a really good one now. I feel it as a bit of a worn-out genre. There's not much else you can do different with it.

Now that I've seen Paddy Considine make and star in his own Boxing drama, the story certainly concentrates outside of the ring rather than in it. That's definitely a root that might refresh this genre.

But I felt to be really torn with this one in the end. It starts off with some potential. But I think the pacing of it and general look to it made it look pretty ordinary and dare I say more of a TV drama.

The second half does get better and by the end of it it was a heart-wrenching finale and that was all thanks to Considine.

Paddy Considine was great. It's hard to know what to think of his performance at first. But by the turn of the second half, that's when he truly shines and we get a couple of really emotional moments that did not have a dry eye in the house by the end of it.

Jodie Whittaker was a solid support and had great chemistry with Considine. But sadly, like with a lot of this film, her performance felt better suited to TV.

I've briefly mentioned this already, but the major problem I had with this film was that none of it felt cinematic. It felt more like an excellent one-off TV drama that would win many National TV awards. The story does fall into the trap of a what you expect in a TV movie, the forced themes and melodramatic presentation.

It is a real shame, because Considine's performance comes out really strong by the end of it and enhances everything around him.

Despite the high praise for his acting, there was very little exceptional content outside of that I'm afraid to say. After his incredibly powerful directing in Tyrannosaur, it pains me to say that this did feel disappointing. It's certainly made with good intentions and I think it is still worth seeing for Considine's acting. But maybe wait until you can access it from your home, as that seems to be where you get the best viewing experience.

Rating: 7/10
8 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I'm a fan of boxing, but this sets the record straight...
WVfilmfem5 August 2018
Sets the record straight about the danger of the sport, and brain injury. In that respect, it is an "anti-boxing" film. The story is heartbreaking, but so visceral and real. Paddy Considine's performance is award-worthy. Well worth the watch. Edit: I do wonder if such an injury would be able to recover.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cried like a baby
garetharnold19 November 2018
Authentic and beautiful. Soundtrack to match the film perfectly
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great serious movie watch it with a loved one!
vishes853 November 2018
Really do like the movie. Good soundtrack too. I am a fan of MMA and after a Michael Bisping mentioned this film made his decision in retirement concrete I decided this is something I want to watch. I never liked boxing and the injuries one gets after their career is over. The luxuries are worth the suffering the richer and families go through. This movie shows us what a wife, child and friends go though after such events, if they overcome it and what relationships mean. I hope this movie helps others to make a decision for not only their health but their families too.
Ah come on
dmohagan-570022 November 2018
So, fine acting but really. Why not just get a nurse and a cleaner and save half the carry on. I get it why people loved it but it really strains the credibility factors to the point where the weight of the love story collapses under the weight if the narrative incoherence.
Not a boxing film
Journeyman. Written, directed and starring the brilliant Paddy Considine as a fictional world champion boxer who has one last fight to prove to himself he's a champion. Sound like a cliche? Not a bit of it. The boxing is a mere backdrop to the subsequent aftermath when Paddy suffers brain damage. Both my brother and I cried on two occasions - but the film earned its emotion. Paddy then gave a live Q and A after the film. Came across as a really funny, down to earth bloke. 8 out of ten
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Didn't expect to tear up...
wjsmith-3012313 September 2018
Paddy should have been nominated for an Oscar. F the Academy. That is all.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Usually up to date with my films but this one slipped by until I spotted it in HMV
derangedink3 September 2018
Paddy Considine at his best ,heartbreaking performance
Paddy packs a punch.
Pjtaylor-96-1380441 September 2018
To my surprise, 'Journeyman (2018)' isn't so much a typical 'boxing film' as it is an unexpectedly realistic and heart-wrenching examination of how a single, blindsiding moment can change your life, for the worse, forever. It's also an exploration of one of the darker, less emphasised sides of a sport in which the participants consistently receive blows to the head, any one of which could end their careers or, worse, their lives (either as they know them or entirely). The film really is powerful. It's sobering stuff delivered through a phenomenal, award-worthy central performance and an incredibly nuanced, tactile screenplay that never feels heightened or 'hollywood', instead feeling pretty much 'real' and incredibly raw right the way through. I was totally taken by surprise and on the edge of my seat throughout, watching through gritted teeth and teary eyes. It truly is brilliant, unbelievably compelling work, even if it isn't always easy to sit through. 7/10
Good acting by Paddy Considine
minettleship20 August 2018
Good acting by Paddy Considine and Jodie whitaker and an emotive story , but it was dragged out far too long. By the time it reached the point where Paddy decided to take his own life I had seen enough and I hoped he would succeed and the film would end. Unfortunately it continued for quite a while afterwards.
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stop with the Boxing movies..
BatmanFunReviews20189 August 2018
Matty Burton is the middleweight boxing champion of the world. Now, coming towards the end of his career, he knows that he must make his money and get out of the game. His aim is to secure a home with his wife Emma, and a future for their baby daughter Mia. Journeyman is unfortunately another 'Rocky' rip-off without the energy or the stamina of the famous fictional champion. The overall drama and perfomances didn't do it for me either and the boxing parts were definitely no better either. Stick to Rocky and Creed or just wait for Creed II.
2 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.