Happy Death Day (2017) Poster

Expect the unexpected, and then expect the expected, and then the unexpected again
kevschwaller7 October 2017
I saw a pre-screening of Happy Death Day and let me tell you, it was one of the most fun theater experiences I've had. The movie doesn't take itself too seriously, which is definitely for the best. If anyone walks into a movie about a sorority girl living the same day over and over and being killed over and over and expects it to be some genre-defying horror perfection, that's on them.

However, that doesn't mean this is a bad movie by any means. Jessica Rothe as Tree Gelbman and Israel Broussard as Carter Davis are fantastic as the two leads. They have excellent chemistry and make us root for them. Rothe's character wasn't the typical horror movie sorority girl, either. She was cunning and badass. She made us believe she could actually figure this mess out. If you don't change your mind on who the killer is at least twice throughout the film, you aren't paying attention.

There are curveballs thrown left and right, which made my theater gasp and yell numerous times. You think the movie is about to end on at least two different occasions. The script is smart, there's horror, there's comedy, there's drama. Happy Death Day takes you in numerous directions, while also making sure you have fun along the way. This is definitely one of my all-time favorite campy horror flicks out there. It even pokes fun at Groundhog Day, which it very clearly took some inspiration from. I recommend this to anyone who enjoys horror; again, it doesn't redefine the genre and there are definitely an abundance of clichés. With that, though, there are still a handful of clever moments I certainly was not expecting.
119 out of 152 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This movie knew exactly what it was
stevencvgarcia14 October 2017
I think people going to see this movie are expecting wayyyy to much from a slasher movie. I'm rating it based on what I expected, and I was certainly impressed. This movie wasn't trying to be anything more than another murder movie, but what made me want to see it was the idea of taking Groundhog Day (which it fully admitted to ripping the idea from) and turning it into a slasher film. I was actually surprised it held back on gore and blood. I was fully expecting it to be all the tropes of gross-out killings, but it was instead focused more on character development and the story. I admit the characters are a bit one-dimensional, but again, it's a slasher movie. It's trying to win any academy awards here. In many ways I think it's parodying those one-dimensional characters of college trope characters and the "last girl" in horror movies because it goes all-in on establishing the main characters as somebody you're meant to hate at first. The ending genuinely took me in a direction I didn't anticipate, and then it took me back to what I was expecting, but did it in a way that I felt fresh. All in all, I had fun watching this movie, which I think what this movie was meant to be: Fun.
92 out of 124 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I really enjoyed it
olivermahlmann4 January 2018
As a fan of Groundhog Day, Final Destination and Edge of Tomorrow, I was surprised how much I liked it. It was just well done and it worked on all levels. I watch a lot of movies and hate most of them, but this one worked for me.
31 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Surprisingly better than I expected!
Harrison Tweed (Top Dawg)23 October 2017
This type of movie has been done many times before and rarely succeeds, but this one was a hit for me!

Jessica Rothe's performance is what kept me interested... she nailed her character and was convincing and funny as well.

I don't want to give too much away, but the twists towards the end were a nice surprise and earned a few extra points from me.

It's classified as a Horror, Mystery, Thriller but it's also a comedy as I found myself laughing a bunch of times.

Certainly a must-see entertaining film produced and executed very well, much better than many other films in this genre.

It's a well deserved 9/10 from me.
76 out of 110 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Film contains many teen slasher tropes but transcends them with an inventive script & dark humour.
Páiric O'Corráin14 November 2017
Happy Death Day: A student keeps reliving the same day which ends with her being murdered by a masked killer. At the first re-iteration of the day she is puzzled, the next time she is shocked but by the third raw panic sets in. The day rests anew each time as she wakes in the dorm room of she has crashed in. Eventually she enlists his help in an attempt to identify her murderer. Many red herrings are caught.

While this film contains many of the teen slasher tropes it transcends them with an inventive script and wonderful dark humour. 8/10.
31 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fun horror/comedy. Perfect for Halloween
savagdog113 October 2017
When I saw the trailer for this movie I admit I rolled my eyes and groaned that they were trotting out the circular time gimmick again. It was of course classic in Groundhog Day, but never seemed to click since then. I was dubious, but after seeing it with my own eyes, I can say I had a great time. I'm not sure if Blum House intended it to be funny, but it had a lot of humor in it, enough I would say to qualify it as a dark comedy. The cast was superb and while it didn't offer anything groundbreaking in terms of murders/deaths, I didn't mind because the story was so well connected and it really had me guessing right up until the end. Another litmus test for the quality of this movie is that the audience was rather quiet during the presentation. I've been to enough of these films to know that when you get a young audience seated in the dark and the film is a snooze, they'll start to talk and whisper and just annoy the Hell out of you. This movie managed to hold the attention of the entire audience and in this day and age I must say, that is an achievement in and of itself. I wasn't prepared to enjoy Happy Death Day as much as I did, but even I can admit when I was wrong. It worked from start to finish. I wasn't aware that Scott Lobdell wrote the script, but when I saw his name in the credits, I realized another reason I enjoyed it. I am familiar with his writing in the comic book industry and he is one of the more notable scribes. It's good to see the skills transfer.
65 out of 96 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
'Groundhog Day' with a slasher/mystery twist
TheLittleSongbird2 November 2017
Saw 'Happy Death Day' as somebody who was fascinated by the concept, found the advertising interesting and good enough to warrant a view and who appreciates horror when done well. Seeing it just before Halloween as part of my Halloween celebrations, will admit to not being as bowled over by the film as would have liked but enjoying it a good deal.

As surprisingly interesting as the advertising was (and there has been some dreadful advertising this year, a notable recent example being the completely mis-marketed 'Geostorm'), it is also misleading. One would expect a truly frightening film judging from the trailers, but actually 'Happy Death Day' happened to be much more than what was indicated and wasn't what one would call terrifying or sleep-with-the-light-on-for-a-week. The good news is that 'Happy Death Day' actually makes the most of its concept, refreshing having seen films recently that had concepts that they didn't do anywhere near enough with. The not so good news is that as enjoyable as it was it did feel like something was missing.

It is easy to see why lots of people will like, and have liked 'Happy Death Day'. It is just as easy to see why it will be, and has been, a let-down for others. My opinion has shades of both, leaning towards the former. 'Happy Death Day' may be somewhat standard (while the concept is a pretty unique one, some of the story elements aren't), superficial (other than the lead character, the characters are developed very flimsily) and some parts don't make as much sense as they could and feel unfinished.

Was expecting more from the killer twist reveal, which is not as clever and surprising as one would like and the whole ending felt rather silly and rushed to me (the killer's motive also came over as really trivial for an elaborate set-up). A little slow to begin with too, it's once the concept kicks in when 'Happy Death Day' properly comes to life and maintains that energy for the rest of the film.

For all those faults though, 'Happy Death Day' is also refreshingly self-aware, almost very much aware of its standard-ness and superficiality and acknowledges it, and manages to be lots of fun, creepy-suspenseful and surprisingly thought-provoking. Gruesomely funny sums it up very well.

'Happy Death Day' is a long way from amateurish visually, the photography is stylish rather than slapdash, the editing has suitably unnerving moments and the lighting is atmospheric. Christopher Landon never lets it get too heavy while not diluting the fun or scares, and the at times haunting and at others times funky soundtrack adds a lot.

When it comes to the script, 'Happy Death Day' is full of knowing humour and never removes its tongue from its cheek, instead keeping it firmly intact throughout which proved to come off really well. It also really makes one think. The story execution is not perfect, but it's never dull and has some neat twists and turns that stops it from being predictable and repetitive.

Jessica Rothe should become a bigger star after her excellent lead turn here, she has been acting a few years before this but this is the first time where she really held my attention and allowed me to take proper notice of her. Israel Broussard is also very believable and the two have great chemistry together. The acting on the whole is solid but essentially it's all about Rothe and she is one of the main reasons why 'Happy Death Day' is worth a viewing.

Overall, a long way from perfect but quite enjoyable. 6/10 Bethany Cox
29 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Carried by a Breakout Lead Performance, Happy Death Day Utilizes a Familiar Premise to Deliver Lots of Fun
CANpatbuck366414 October 2017
Every negative review for this movie is going to point out that this movie is built around a concept that we've seen before. Our protagonist is forced to live through the same day again and again. Groundhog Day and Edge of Tomorrow (both excellent movies) made this idea popular and for some people, they won't be able to get past the fact that this isn't brand new gimmick. I don't have a problem if movies borrow from other movies, they just need to do it effectively and put a fresh spin on it. Happy Death Day certainly accomplishes that. At the beginning, the journey hits the first couple of familiar notes but when Tree starts to realize what's happening, that's when the movie shifts gears. They aren't afraid to play with Tree's tragic end day after day and the movie functions for whole periods as a straight comedy. Luckily, this movie is really funny when it wants to be. The writers know enough to play with certain genre clichés and there's a surprising amount of tongue-in-cheek humour here. The marketing for this is a little misleading, it makes this movie look like a traditional slasher movie when it really ends up being a mishmash of comedy, mystery and horror

Other than the living the same day plot point, Happy Death Day centres around the mystery of who Tree's killer is. The movie throws a bunch of obvious red herrings at you right off the bat and I was glad they took it a less obvious direction. I don't think they overplay their hand either, there are a couple of hints here and there but I think you'd have to be pretty perceptive to guess the twists and turns that Day's plot takes. If I had one complaint, there was a point where they looked like they were heading towards a very sentimental resolution that could have been corny. Its a case of me wanting that for these characters. They bypass that though and keep going and while I understand the decision, I might have preferred that wrap-up instead.

Another turnoff for certain audience members might be Tree's personality as a character. She's a real b!#@% when we first meet her and I'm not exaggerating. The first time she meets her killer, I wasn't feeling sorry for her. But even when she's at her worst, she still has a certain charisma that you want to keep rooting for her. Writing characters that aren't perfect and are selfish that you want to follow is an art that so many horror movies get wrong. I liked how Tree grows (no pun intended) and by the end I really wanted her to find a happy ending somehow.

I don't often get to really discover actors and actresses. Most of the movies I watch are pretty mainstream and by the time someone becomes a lead, you've probably heard about them from somewhere. I wasn't familiar with Jessica Rothe at all but she anchored this movie as Tree. This is a stand up and take notice kind of performance, she's multi-faceted in handling both the drama and the comedy in this movie. I hope this movie is just a stepping stone to bigger things for her and I think the last time I walked away from a movie so impressed with an actress I didn't know was Margot Robbie in The Wolf of Wall Street. Israel Broussard is easy to like as Carter, he's easy going enough that his character's relationship with Tree builds up organically. Rachel Matthews is funny as Danielle Bouseman, she's playing a very stereotypical character (stuck up sorority rich girl) but she nails it. Ruby Modine is sweet as Lori and Charles Aitken is appropriately slimy as Gregory Butler,

I couldn't believe how charmed I was by this movie. I didn't plan on going to see this, it was a very spur of the moment thing and walking out of the theatre I was blown away. Happy Death Day isn't the best movie I've seen this year but its the biggest movie-going surprise of the year for me. It features a great turn from an up and coming actress, a good mystery, some well placed meta humour and a willingness to play within its central conceit. The marketing for this movie doesn't show how creative and fun it is and I would urge you to give this a shot. We've come off the summer blockbusters and we're still too early for the awards contenders so if you're looking for something to check out, Happy Death Day is an extremely fun hour and a half at the movies. Also, make sure to show up on time, there's a gag pulled with the opening credits that hints at what's to come.
37 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Derivative half-comic slasher flick proves you can't go wrong when you steal from the best
moonspinner5523 October 2017
Jessica Rothe is amusingly pithy and savvy playing a selfish college beauty, a spoiled sorority sister who rules the school until she is stabbed and killed on her way to a surprise birthday party by a masked lunatic. But fate plays this campus cutie an unusual hand once she discovers she's living her birthday over and over again, each time attempting to cheat death but always running into her attacker. Screenwriter Scott Lobdell isn't trying to sneak a slasher variant of "Groundhog Day" passed us--he's upfront about the similarities, even exalts in them, while toying with all the possibilities such a scenario can offer. It takes Rothe three tries to fully comprehend what's happening to her; once she formulates a plan (creating a suspect list), Lobdell mixes things up, so that the movie rarely feels repetitive. Our heroine, snarky to start, follows Bill Murray's example and becomes a better person on her twisted journey (reestablishing contact with her father, apologizing to her roommate, even causing her own demise on one occasion to prevent the cute nerd from the boys' dorm from losing his life). Director Christopher B. Landon deserves credit for delivering a modern-day thriller with lots of action but no gore and no nudity. If it isn't quite a family-friendly slasher flick, it certainly is a squirrelly, sassy one, with some big laughs counterbalancing the suspense. Good show! *** from ****
16 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Happy Death Day 7/10 This is the first day of the rest of your life ....
pada23 October 2017
I had low expectations and I have to say they were totally exceeded .

This is an enjoyable Romantic Horror with more than a passing reference to GROUNDHOG DAY - and the occasional reminiscing of the 15 year old Shaun of the dead . Plus a bit of Scream , scary movie and a number of other slasher movies .

Jessica Roshe was brilliant in the starring role , you believe in her character , her charm was endearing and despite the 10 years between her character and actual age she played the combination of innocent romantic with a touch a modern feisty independent female in control of her own destiny .

The only poor point was how the inevitable twist was handled - that could have been slightly better but definitely worth seeing .

Pad.A 7/10
9 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Happy Death Day (2017)
rockman18216 October 2017
The trailer for this film accompanied by 50 Cent's "In Da Club" looked incredibly dumb, but that didn't mean that the film wasn't going to be a stupid good time. These types of repetition of a certain day films are somewhat popular with recent incarnations being completely forgettable. Groundhog Day gets it right, and I was curious to see a college slasher drama try to take a different spin on the idea. The film is about Tree Gelbman, a typical short fused sorority girl who loves to party and get drunk and her trials against a day that keeps repeating. On her birthday she is murdered and the day keeps resetting until she can figure out who her killer is. The daily death takes a toll on her body and she gets physically weaker each time. its a tough task having to try to figure things out when everything around her resets and the killer and his/her motivations remain unknown. Jessica Rothe was just perfect for this role. She's an attractive lead who played the college girl role to a tee. Her character grows by the end of the film and you start to feel a better connection with her as she becomes a different human being when her constant death teaches her about her own life. Other than that, there aren't really many fleshed out or identifiable characters, which is fine. This is a cheap thriller and should be treated a such, doesn't mean it isn't entertaining. The repetition surprisingly doesn't overstay its welcome and keeps itself fun. This film is barely a horror because its so stupid and the film knows it. Its more of a comedy with killing than anything else. Which is perfectly fine. The killer reveal is kind of obvious despite the writers trying to twist you away from it. Overall, you won't have much of an impression from this picture but it makes for a good time in the cinema. 6.5/10
19 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A joke of a horror movie....FOR REAL!!
xristoff931 November 2017
Some friends invited me for a horror mystery thriller movie, so all fine by me.

But then, the film started.... This was no horror film. Most of the movie felt like American Pie having the naked scenes replaced with some serial killer slaying again and again the same person without any obvious reason(or any reason whatsoever as I realized in the end).

Anyway, the actors were not memorable. Their acting skills were okay. I guess they would seem as something more to a teenager and this is why I am amazed by the number of good reviews this film got. The plot moves along in a totally predictable manner. We see repeatedly the same day of a rich sorority girl waking up in the room of some guy who was kind enough to pick up her pieces after she got wasted the night before. Then she goes on her day and gets killed in slightly different manner every night. Then wakes up at the guys dorm again and everything starts happening again until she finally realizes that she is trapped in a triangle-like situation. The theme is one we know all too well,so nothing much to expect there(so much for the thriller and mystery). The protagonist tries to explore some ways of solving the "mystery" but drops them all really fast so we see pretty much more of the same with tiny variations,while she tries to act all scared and panicked. Each morning finds her more screamy than the one before and the in- the-mean-time- reactions make things a bit funny or cringy. Certainly not scary or thrilling.

The main problem with this movie is that it tries to pass itself as some horror,mystery film while it's a comedy- crime/light mystery, if it has to be called something. It's a total joke of a horror movie. And it would be amusing if it was advertised as such. You cringe,you laugh but you certainly don't feel any threat at any point. And that's understandable since you have little time to learn anything about any of the characters. What do we know? She dates and sleeps around,not surprising for a sorority girl. She gets scared when they try to kill her, but that's a normal reaction for any human being. After reliving the same thing over and over she decides to stop repeating her actions and explore other possibilities, so nothing really interesting here either.

In the end we had a movie with much more laughter than the amount justified for a horror film,no plot,not a deep mystery,in contrast to what we expected and no interesting characters. But we still managed to have some fun with this thrash dialogue film. Not really worth seeing.
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I think my IQ dropped
dth_bhk26 November 2017
It was horrible, I still can't believe I wasted time watching this. Another question is how did this make it to the theater? It's like one of those choose your own path books you used to get at the library in primary school, but the person before you ripped all the paths out but 3, and all were bad. Don't waste your time!!
10 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I'll be kind and just say it isn't very good...not sure what movie the 10 ratings saw
scottm182 November 2017
Wow..this is really a rip-off of Groundhog Day--they even acknowledge it in the movie. It also had wooden acting, inconsistencies galore and zero scare factor (the PG-13 rating was a dead giveaway as that's as bad sign in a horror movie). The lead actress looks like she could be on her way to some success...but just not in this. The most irritating part for me (not giving anything way due to trailer) is that no matter how long or short she 'lingers' on the repeated opening scenario...the next sequence of events are always in the same. That just wouldn't be the case IRL. Anyway. I wanted to like it as it had good premise, but it just didn't do it for me.
29 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Hallmark Channel Horror
aloysius_predato11 October 2017
The first thing you need to do is ignore any positive review of this film. There is no doubt in my mind that most if not all of these were written by persons connected with the film in some way. This movie is utterly AWFUL!

Now, I cannot deny that Christopher Landon and Scott Lobdell are meekly innovative in unraveling this tale, but this is not enough to save the film. Sure, Happy Death Day will be able to score numerous jumps on people who don't watch horror movies for a living, but how hard is that.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be condescending to anyone. I pride myself on my stolid nature, and I have little in the way of a life. I assume that you do, and it is my hope in writing this that I may prevent your wasting time and money in the name of Happy Death Day. You see, I'm much like many of you. I slave day in and day out beneath the yoke of mundane tasks simply so that I can continue to do so. When the week ends, I need the escape that the cinema often provides. When the escape is inadequate, I take it personally. In the case of Happy Death Day, I found myself wanting to escape the very showing of the film itself. Sure, I could have left, counted my loss and been a better man for it, but I persisted. Why? I did it for you. In theory, I wasted my time so you will not. Please, do not render my sacrifice vain. If you must see something, theaters usually boast many options. I guarantee that Happy Death Day is the worst option that exists at the present time, at least in my town.

Happy Death Day is peppered with characters that do naught but remind me of people I hated in college, or, at least, ½ dimensional cardboard cutouts of those people. Jessica Rothe's protagonist, Tree, is thoroughly unlikeable from beginning to end, even after she undergoes her Hallmark-esque epiphany. I hope I didn't spoil the obvious. In any case, Rothe's performance is utterly forgettable, and, in my opinion, Landon could probably have replaced her with any mildly attractive barista in the region and achieved the same result if not better. Not only did I want to strangle Tree every time she opened her mouth, but I also wanted to strangle myself for buying the seat.

Perhaps you wonder why I did not go into specifics. There really are no specifics, it's just bad, there was nothing good. It's a roller coaster ride, but not a good one; it was like one of those traveling midway coasters that give you whiplash and have you fearing for your life. I was waiting for Scooby, Shaggy and the gang to pull up in the Mystery Machine and help Tree discover who's killing her. THAT would have made for a better film. Plus, if you are intent on seeing it, who am I to spoil it.

Lastly, when did a female's bare upper back begin to qualify as partial nudity? Did I miss something? I guess, technically, they're not lying, bare skin is nude skin, but, for those of you who might have been hoping for something more pulse inducing, there's nothing for you on this front either.
41 out of 100 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
the ultimate Halloween movie
bigbrochris-898271 November 2017
I went to see this recently and oh my god did I have a blast it was a perfect Halloween fright fest with beautiful girls laughs and of course scares it had lots of lessons to learn too about accepting others for who they are and it taught about forgiveness once someone wrongs you and you can sometimes get redemption from them
10 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Pathetic Horror Version Of Groundhog Day
trnjamesbond28 October 2017
Happy Death Day is one of the worst horror films of 2017. The cast is highly irritating, and just forgettable. Tree Gelbman yes you read that right, the main character is named Tree, played by Jessica Rothe. Her character is nothing that I even care for, just an ignorant girl from a rich family acting like she is better than anyone around her, her sorority sisters are just as pathetic. So here we sit watching some over privileged character walk through the steps of a "Groundhog Day" style film, living her death over and over again, which was portrayed in the trailer.

Scott Lobdell was the writer for this terrible film, and in my opinion highly plagiarized from Groundhog Day, except this hack of a writer will not be sued because the story was tweaked enough and he turned it into a horror slasher style film, instead of a comedy.

If people want to pay money to see such drivel then by all means, go right ahead. There is no likable character, I wanted them all to die, and there is no point to see this film unless it's something to fall asleep to. That's it folks move along now nothing to see here. 6.7 is a fake rating made by this fake website and fake people. This is a big old zero people. Avoid at all costs.
58 out of 150 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
While flawed, a great film with a surprising ending
cwhi-4729911 October 2017
I noticed a few of the reviews on here were posted without those users having actually watched the film.

I was lucky enough to go to a preview of the film, and was not disappointed. Starting off pretty slow with unlikeable characters, the film picked up in the best way possible. Throws a few curve balls at you which is always fun. Acting was great across the board - lead did really well in her role. While not the scariest movie, it's definitely entertaining and will keep your adrenaline running.
13 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
trailer teaser trash
drdeathforpresident18 October 2017
yet again, been duped and led astray by the all mighty trailer gods; what a waste of celluloid. Horror films enthusiasts, really. Great idea yet poorly executed. A lot of drama for a horror film, hints of Dawson's Creek. A college girl wakes up in a horny student's room, confused and baffled. She's hungover. She lives her day hanging out with her sorority. She walks down a bunch of stairs at night with no lights to guide her and no one in sight (at this point, you turn around and run like the wind) She sees a small toy underneath a bridge. She cautiously inspects it then boom here comes trouble. A weirdo appears wearing a mask and kills her. She wakes up again and we start the whole boredom all over again. The killer is obvious and in the end I leave thinking I've seen this film before.
18 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Enjoyable if considered comedy mystery thriller
marioqpineda17 October 2017
If you are going to watch it keep in mind this is not a pure mystery thriller it will disappoint you if you're expecting that. But as a comedy slasher mystery thriller it becomes watchable if you don't have anything else to see but it still has flaws. It's predictable and changes between suspense and comedy seemed dumb. Some things just didn't make sense and certain situations felt unnecessary. Still you can enjoy it but it's not a good movie nor bad just something to see in your free time.
12 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Smart horror with depth and levels
jtindahouse16 October 2017
I'm starting to see a trend develop in modern horror movies (the good ones at least) and I really like it. Film makers are beginning to realise that for horror to work there has to be some different levels to the film. 90 minutes of watching people get killed isn't going to be able to cut it anymore. You have to be able to make the audience laugh, think and even move them emotionally. If you can do that then your film will be a success. Earlier this year 'Get Out' pulled it off and now 'Happy Death Day' has nailed it too.

When the opening logos featured a joke (literally in the first few seconds of the film) I thought I may have misread the tone of the film in the trailers. Turns out I had, but in a good way. It wasn't an indication that the film was to be a laugh-fest, simply that it had that layer to it. And the thing about the layers that the film possesses it that every one of them works. Whatever it tries to pull off it manages.

The twists and turns and how crafty it is about concealing them truly blew me away. At least three times I thought to myself such and such element would be better if they'd done so and so, only to later find out they did indeed have that up their sleeve the whole time. The film is incredibly smart.

I can't say enough good things about this film. The trailers won't give a fair indication to people of what this film is truly capable of, and so sadly I fear many who would love it will not get around to seeing it. If you get the chance though please do see it. It's a fantastic film and you won't be disappointed.
22 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
If you loved groundhogs day, you'll love this
zombiefan8913 October 2017
It's a very interesting twist on horror movies. Best part, very few jump scares! The movie takes the high road instead. Very good stuff! There's also very little blood for a slasher. The acting is solid. There's a very cute romance. Overall, this is the best horror movie I've seen in a long time!
13 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great Horror Thriller with Time Loop Concept !
stevenclayalcander24 October 2017
Movie with the time loop concept is interesting but really need many good elements in it. It must contain good story, morale message, and also the brilliant plot twist is a must. And what makes this movie great ? Yeah it because Happy Death Day has all of the important element. Simple story with popular girl in university, with good directing, the repeated scene because of time loop doesn't seem boring. They can make the audience to be curious and sometimes with extra comedy it makes this film really great !

No doubt you will like this horror thriller movie because it is not similar like usual horror movie with some ghost, devil, or mysterious phenomenon. Its more like thriller movie with mysterious psychopath that kills you and you just cant escape from it. Even if I think this movie is brilliant, I admit that with this film concept like this, I like better if the movie genre is drama because it can offer you much more emotional, dramatic, and better morale message.
8 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Narcissism is a Death Warrant
thirtyfivestories16 October 2017
A poisonous sorority has inundated Bayford University with bitter rivals. A calorie cutting agenda cuts the crop of wishful debutantes, while 3 a.m. pledge inductions bloat testosterone and deplete respect. A mire of social cannibalism, the school common reeks of misappropriated ambitions.

Tree, a sisterhood loyal, wakes in a pseudo-nerd's dorm room from a painfully obvious and contradicting ring tone. The three letter word illuminating from her screen elicits audible disdain. The seeds of selfishness are planted as she bosses around the servant boy who never deserved to care for her.

Karma should never be laughed at, but here it is a tone-deaf joke. Tree has ample opportunities to correct her putrid elitism, but even death needs a few semesters' worth of lectures to make a dent in her obnoxious personality. With protagonist that even the most condescending individual would despise, the narrative throws all stakes in a fiery garbage bin where its victimizing one liners should have rested.

When a film's universe is intrinsically tethered to time, it becomes inexcusable to disregard time frames entirely. The viewer becomes punished when they dive into the intricacies of the events that the film subjugates upon the audience repeatedly. No matter how long Tree stalls in waking moments, or how swiftly she jets out of the stranger's door, a timer starts when it is most convenient for the pitiful visual gags to wear themselves out.

A heavy handed score mixed with the most "paper due at midnight" twist push this narrative into new depths of apathetic storytelling. Avoid this film if you have a weak neck, because you are bound to shake your head every two minutes. No laughs are intentional, and this meme nursery only succeeds in being needlessly offensive.
9 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Happy Death Day or is that Boredom Day?
lagsdin-gregory51 November 2017
A movie with so many plot holes you can drive a truck through it.A talented director could cover the holes up but alas that doesn't happen. A script that makes very little sense even for a horror film. Sometimes it seems like they where thinking about making a spoof. Yet the director could not make up his mind what he was going for.The actors do try their best and that's why it gets 2 stars.
10 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this