The Standoff at Sparrow Creek (2018) Poster

So close to amazing.
Colemanation19 January 2019
There is an amazing film here that the writer/director didn't actually get on film. The cast is solid and the direction is fine. The writing falters here and there. There are story lines that needed to be fleshed out a bit. Some of it seems a little implausible but only because there isn't enough attention given to details. I'm not bashing the writer/director. He did a fine job; better than most would. I actually look forward to what he has in store. I just can't help but feel this could have been a mind-blowing film in more, I dunno, seasoned hands.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just Ok
gloopy-4523919 January 2019
Not sure about these real high ratings on this one, explain this edge of the seat thriller, high intensity film you are all watching?. It's mediocre, slow, nothing much happens and that's about it.Guess everyone is different but to me this is just a one to watch when you run out of time and find nothing else before you stumble across this.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fast Flowing and Gripping Gun Culture Thriller
Raven-19693 October 2018
Militia members gather underground in the aftermath of a mass shooting to discover something disturbing. An AR-15 semi-automatic rifle, the type used in the attack, is missing from their cache. Interrogations ensue, tempers flare and threats fly as they try to discover who among them knows something before the police arrive. Confusion, mistrust and fear spike as word comes that an extensive plot is underway and neighboring militias are involved in something ominous. Everything depends on where and who the information comes from and truth is in short supply.

This fast flowing and gripping gun culture thriller contains a wonderful cast of characters including a lone wolf, informant, tech geek, ex police officer, quirky and enigmatic leader, old timer and white supremacist with a criminal past. Lines are delivered like rifle fire and it takes concentration to follow the action. There is pleasing depth in this dialogue and intriguing mystery about where the conversations will take the story. Actions seem plausible and the actors are more than convincing. Lots of testosterone and guttural grunting all around. The film was shot in Dallas. This was according to the director who was at this world premiere and midnight madness showing of the 2018 Toronto International Film Festival.
15 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Well...
quickclean-9797119 January 2019
Call me crazy , but I don't like movies that look like they were shot on a cellphone.
7 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
OK but that's all!
doorsscorpywag20 January 2019
Seems more like a play than a movie and is well enough acted. I liked the performance of young Ned Stark Robert Aramayo who for me was the standout with his small contribution to the story.

The tale overall was pretty implausible but it made an interesting 90 minutes. Certainly not as brilliant as some of the reviews say and the ending was a bit daft.

Still worth a watch all the same.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Edge of your seat, start to finish.
justinkucsulain4 October 2018
Fantastic film. Brilliantly cast. You will not be disappointed. 1st time director and he hit a grand slam with this high tension thriller.
9 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Tense thriller
will-1763211 January 2019
Impressive directorial debut. Tension builds throughout and is predicated on dialogue and anticipation. My assumptions were continuously tested and this movie kept me thinking well after it's conclusion.

Dale is amazing and the movie is overall very well-cast.
6 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"Cleverly Crafted Thiller"
ajawan-3035919 January 2019
The Standoff at Sparrow from Cinestate and director Henry Dunham is a bone chilling thriller that really grips you up until its final moments. The dialogue based film really keeps pace and helps keep the viewer in suspense and awe to the story's revelations. I reccomend putting this in your watchlist if you want this cleverly crafted thriller to shock you like it shocked me.
2 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.