Love on the Sidelines (TV Movie 2016) Poster

(2016 TV Movie)

cute
SnoopyStyle8 October 2019
Football star Danny Holland (John Reardon) has a season ending injury. He fires his incompetent assistant and needs a new one. Cash-strapped fashion designer Laurel Welk (Emily Kinney) needs a job and knows nothing about football. At first, he rejects her declaring that he needs a guy to do the job. He reluctantly accepts her and she slowly wins him over.

It's got cutie patootie Emily Kinney. John Reardon has the looks although he doesn't look like a football player. That's all fine. They are both pretty. There are plenty of pretty people here. Danny has a good meet-hate and has a good progression. His one mistake is the classic romantic sudden jump kiss. It's a new era and he can't do that anymore. The character is a big name in that world and he can't go around kissing his employees without consent. It's a lawsuit waiting to happen. Quite frankly, he should Mike Pence the main reason why he can't have a female assistant. Consent can be sexy if it's done right. At the very least, these movies need to slo-mo that standard move so that they can nudge nudge wink wink the consent. Otherwise, this is a function Hallmark romance with a cute couple.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
***1/2
edwagreen25 January 2016
The usual Hallmark fanfare, but it is nicely done. When a star football played is injured, he fires his assistant and as no one else is available, the agency sends a female. The guy really shows his sexist tenets by not really wanting her and becoming very standoffish.

Invariably, love shall blossom for the two of them. The idea that he thought that she was involved with his fellow team mate instead of the fact that the latter had become involved with his own sister was somewhat difficult to fathom, but I guess that was needed to further the plot along.

This chauvinistic guy comes down to reality and realizes that she is the girl for him, not that model who kept throwing herself at him.

The assistant shows the typical female side regarding her ignorance of football.
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Perfect for role
Jackbv12310 January 2020
For some reason I watch this movie over and over. The story premise isn't overdone and actually makes more sense than a lot of these movies.

The acting is OK. John Reardon lacks some spark. The rest of the actors are mostly OK.

But what keeps bringing me back is Emily Kinney, both the actress and the role of Laurel. Kinney plays this part perfectly. She's nerdy and sports-ignorant, but she can learn. She's insecure, but has courage. And she is so likeable.

I will admit that this is probably a case of a movie and an actor that caught me just right and so it may be that I am being generous, but I think Kinney is worth watching.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cute, mindless
juneebuggy11 February 2018
This was cute and pretty mindless, another one of those Hallmark made for TV movies I get stuck into from time to time. This one starred Beth Emily Kinney from the Walking Dead, it was nice to see her doing something blood and gore free here.

She does a good job with this romancy role, very sweet, playing a personal assistant to an injured professional football player -even though she knows nothing about the sport or how to be a PA for that matter.

As 'Laurel' bluffs her way through her new job 'Danny' attempts to protect his public image while coming to terms with having a female assistant. Of course love happens because this is Hallmark.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
cute fall Hallmark movie
novagirl114 September 2018
I like the characters and her jersey really is super cute! there is a scene that is too close to Two Weeks Notice, but overall it's a cute story and it lacks some of the more annoying qualities of some classic hallmark movies.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
bland and not well acted
jml198822 November 2021
I didn't feel the chemistry between ANY of the characters, either romantic or even the friendships. Parts of the plot didn't make much sense, and the male protagonist was entirely unlikeable and self absorbed.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Charming lead actress elevates this one.
rightisright13 August 2019
First of all, Emily Kinney is just absolutely charming as the star of this movie. It's too bad that Hallmark hasn't brought her back for more movies. John Reardon is really kind of bland as the lead male. He certainly doesn't look like a football player.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very average plot line - luckily likeable actors save this one.
MsMovie14 August 2018
Hallmark movies are meant to be romantic and have a happy ending, so this movie is exactly what you'd expect from a Hallmark film. But, seriously, the female characters were supposed to be SO clueless about football that they had no idea about the game at all, and no clue about celebrity sportsmen? Come on, we live in the digital era, you might not watch football, but most people know the names of the top guys - I mean I don't know a thing about Tom Brady's team, but I've heard of him. You might not know the rules of a sport, but to make the female character in this movie so clueless about football was a little old-fashioned in my opinion, but luckily for Hallmark, they picked an actress who could pull this off without making it too annoying. Also, she's driving a classic car, but the guy has to step in and help her when she keeps on trying to start it, making me cringe for the poor engine.

Then the guy was a bit of a jerk - totally self-absorbed most of the time and quite selfish, but again, good casting made his character more likeable than he should have been.

I gave this movie a 5 because there were too many stereotypes and even though I'm not an all-out feminist, the not knowing anything about sports and the car part, was frankly a little insulting.

My 10 year old daughter's comment watching the movie at the car breaking down part was - "Doesn't she know how to take care of her own car?" Amen to that.

Hallmark, step it up - formulaic is one thing, out of touch with real women is plain irritating.
3 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cute rom com
jewhitmer2521 July 2021
I enjoyedthis movie.

Emily Kinney as Laurel Welk was new to me, and I was pleasantly surprised, she and John Reardon as Danny Holland had instant chemistry. Reardon has been a favorite of mine since I watched The Christmas Secret with Bethany Joy Lenz.

The story/plot was typical Hallmark formula and gave us everything we have come to expect from Hallmark. Humor, miscommunication, conflict, romance. A sweet movie.

My only complaint is that I thought it was bizzare to name a female dog Knute after Knute Rockne.

My advice - watch this movie, it's worth it.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved this movie
rhonnie-4313927 March 2021
I liked the plot and all the characters. The storyline was good. I've watched it more than once and probably will do so again.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
bland
wingedheartart17 January 2016
Supposed to be a Valentine type movie. I would think some chemistry or something with the leads.

Rather dry or something. Lacking any kind of emotion/chemistry etc. for the two leads. When they argued that was the only time any feeling showed.

Emily is super cute, watched her in Walking Dead, but this was pretty bland.

I don't know...just no passion or spark on screen with these two. Maybe if she had a male lead that looked as if he really cared...didn't get much out of John Reardon

Yes, I know it is just a Hallmark movie, but come on, a tad effort from the casting director please. I liked Elise Gatien who played Ava, the jock's sister. She was warmer than the two leads.
11 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A blend of conservative stereotypes
Zettelhead18 January 2016
This movie is mainly a agglomeration of conservative white American clichés. There are about 3 funny scenes in it, the rest just follows the romcom-chickflick-stereotype you have seen 1000 times before:

The stubborn male lead is just concerned about his male issues, while the insecure female lead makes an effort to satisfy him and to fulfill the duties of her new job. And there are, for sure, the loving family and friends who know that both are in love before even they know it themselves. And the white male lead explains to one of his afro-American team mates how to wear a suit properly. "We do it like this." Probably they cut out the n-word.

Finally the fathers days: "Yeah, that's my son." Everyone is happy, everybody is successful and gets rich, everybody is WASP. Afterwards I had to open the window to get in some fresh air.

I gave it a 2 instead of a 1 because of the female lead whose acting is good.
9 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Gotta hand it to Laurel!
Harbinger_378125 February 2016
Holy football, this was good.

Star of this movie was no doubt Master Emily Kinney; not only for her reputation, but also her core performance. Gotta say, since her first appearance, she's got this "I can do a perfect romantic comedy" vibe. And she did. Her portrayal of Laurel Welk truly brought constant chuckles, and her hair's amazing! Think I'm gonna use her hairstyle my next sketch model.

From Laurel Welk's first appearance and comments on athletes her voice got me smiling I couldn't stop. Laurel's first introduction to Danny Holland - that was bright and funny mixed with a little... badass; she held up amazingly nice against Danny's gender-biased arguments(The Notebook line was an awesome touch). Her comments about "athlete dating model a cliché". Her dog skills reminded me of another Hallmark movie character, Gridley Maxwell(Surprised by Love, 2014). Her encounter with Isaiah totally LIFTED the funny level, and all Isaiah's comment on Laurel was, "I need a new publicist"... ha, ha, ha.

And the comedic fair continues. Against Danny's "Girl" comment Laurel replied with a "Jock" - the mere sound of the word sounds comedic, and spoken from Master Kinney's voice, in that tone - multiple comedic stack-ups. And - wait. Ron Lucas gets Danny's nerve every time he chats with Laurel, even to the point Danny pains to think Ron's seeing Laurel? Think anyone can get what that means. Then a fifty-pound dog food? Sure, "stronger than she looks" - she's Beth from the Walking Dead! Funny carry scene, though.

Date night with Hunter clearly got sabotaged, and Laurel was really like, Dennis from Dennis the Menace, got caught after playing a mischief then nervously say, "hi..." Also, "Trade secret" was truly nice touch.

And later, with the comedic and romance going more balanced, Master Kinney's Laurel character still makes me smile uncontrollably(maybe I smile a lot but it doesn't matter), and that's pretty amazing. And when they hit critical mass and kiss - even though in a movie, with a fictional story, through a screen - sparks still fly, and a romance blast wave still ignites. That's amazing.

This new gig truly made me like Master Kinney. Hope I can see more of her in Hallmark later on - Oh, she's gooood.
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Know football before you make a football movie
i_hijump10 January 2020
Get an actor who looks like a football player Learn how to use crutches Learn how to act
1 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cute and fun movie
blisskissholly3 April 2020
I really enjoyed this movie and was even surprised a couple times throughout. It was interesting to see how it played out. I'm glad I stuck to it after not loving either character in the beginning because then they had time to grow. I'm a football fan(go Bills!), but they kinda overdid the football analogies. Once I lived through that, it was fun and honestly one of the best I've seen in awhile.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
10/10. AWESOME
ashlyansalam28 May 2021
Good to see that Hallmark makes movies on characters based in city.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great movie starring Emily Kinney
duducomo-901-3614814 November 2016
The movie is great , funny, dramatic and it leaves you on edge every second. A thing that I really didn't like was the instant transition between scenes, it's too fast, it would have been better to give a few more seconds to the characters to end every scene, but being a very low budget movie, not a James Cameron one, I can say that the plot is very interesting. Emily Kinney is a very talented actress and this role made her shine. All her cute, shy and in the same time courageous personality was perfect for the Dany's assistant. I hope she will make more movies because this is a great start.I give it 10 for Emily Kinney and I advise you to watch it.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Poor
mazcalling-248-2929867 September 2020
The storyline had potential but unfortunately it lacked in a few areas. Critically, there wasn't tension/chemistry with the leads and another annoying point were the parents, very pretentious.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Should've stayed on the sidelines
alliebebenroth5 February 2020
We watched this movie based on the good reviews and oh my gosh were we disappointed! My fiancé and I love a good cheesy Hallmark movie, but this was one of the worst. The acting was fine, but the chemistry between the 2 leads was absolutely non existent. And the storyline of them falling for each other and getting together didn't flow in the least. Awful. The best part of the movie was the best friend's husband. By far.

Additional comments: the football puns deserved a penalty for trying too hard
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A romantic film with good human interest.
a_clee23 August 2017
What you need in a film like this is an attractive young woman who can act; a presentable male lead who can act; and a genuine story involving characters who you feel able to care about. Everyone knows what the plot is and how the story ends, so the mystery and interest lies in the journey as opposed to the destination.

Emily Kinney is a very attractive woman who acts very well. She brings a lot of charm and warmth to her role and male viewers induced by their female friends to watch this film will find her likable and pleasing to watch. John Reardon is suitable to be a male lead and looks like he might be a professional sportsman; he also can act the part. The story is predictable but engaging and well written, with well observed characters and situations. The correct boxes are ticked and more than this, the film is a good entertainment; which after all is the whole point of a film such as this.
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Well-done rom-com - hit all the right notes
rodor17 February 2016
Up front I should say I'm not really a big rom-com fan, and it takes something special for me to sit through one. I caught this one while surfing with the remote - came in about 5 minutes late and wound up staying for the whole thing. Thought the chemistry between the two leads was strong, and the supporting cast was pretty good as well...and I'm not even a football fan either. Just an interesting and unique combination of elements that just worked and worked well. Going to record it next time it's on for the first few minutes that were missed. From where I sit, kudos to all involved for a solid movie. Some cute and amusing moments, and recommended.
8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
a different love story
eladsivad-850-78062517 January 2016
An injured quarter back from a pro team h as to hire a new assistant..who has always been a male...someone in his entourage tells the agency...gender does not matter....girl shows up...QB NOT a happy camper...but he has no choice but to keep her....she proves pretty good...as I s a I'd Not a typical a love story..I enjoyed it The main actor and actress seem to fit the part well. And an ex football player is in the movie and plays a dad The ego of a famous person is portrayed pretty well and w h at you Would expect... Story ended well. And I wanted to see more of the st o r y T h at I s when I know I :h ave enjoyed t h e mo v I e
3 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So cute
laurenmariiie3 February 2019
So cute - kept me intrigued and I love Laurels character- wish she would be in more hallmark movies !
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just a totally enjoyable romantic movie.
carlatrnr14 June 2019
Just one of those totally enjoyable movies where there is great chemistry between the lead actor/actress.. A fun storyline, even for those who don't know football lingo. Supporting cast was great as well. One of my favorite movies..
An Absolute Touchdown by Hallmark
aswizzz7 January 2019
This movie truly changed the face of Hallmark. They finally branched out to sports romance movies which was a power move on their part.

One reason why it was so good is that there were cute dogs in it. Dogs are amazing so that makes the movie even better than it already is.

The the guy who plays Danny Holland is cute. We did not get the chance to see him play during the movie, but that does not even matter because he's hot.

The girl is a little annoying. I can not exactly tell you why, but you'll just understand. But it's okay she tried her best and that is what matters. It is easy to ignore when the movie is just that good.

What is also nice is that the sister falls in love as well. Not only is there one romance but there are two! Hallmark really out did themselves on this one.

Also there are some familiar faces in the movie, so it will be easy to convince your husband who probably hates these things, to watch it once he realizes Joe Theismann is in it.

Overall pretty solid addition to the hallmark movie collection and we must convince them to make more sports romance movies.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.