Mindhunter (TV Series 2017– ) Poster

(2017– )

Fascinating, Suspenseful Drama Exploring The Origins Of Criminal Psychology And Profiling
gogoschka-122 January 2018
For those of you who came here looking for something like 'Se7en', because you thought, well, it's from David Fincher and it's about serial killers, I have bad news: this is not that kind of show. But if you came here looking for something more like 'Zodiac', because you thought, well, it's Fincher producing a show about people investigating serial killers, you might indeed find something you like. And if you appreciate long-form storytelling focusing more on human drama than on action scenes, AND you're a bit of a science nerd on top of that (and by that I'm also implying you don't mind watching a show where people are talking most of the time), then, my friend, you are in for a treat.

The reason I absolutely love 'Mindhunter' is this: I'm the kind of person who always wants to know why we know what we know. Because we DIDN'T always know. Somebody had to make a start; someone had to make that first step, that first discovery and draw that first conclusion. Somebody had to be curious, probably persistent, maybe even daring in their quest for knowledge. The history of science is littered with warriors, some of whom we now celebrate and hold in high esteem - but we have a tendency to forget that many scientists also were tragic figures who had to fight against restrictions imposed by society and risked paying a high price - professionally and personally - for their fight against ignorance. And it's those aspects of science that I find so fascinating, and it's precisely those aspects that 'Mindhunter' is interested in; not the "showy", glamorous stuff, but the meticulous groundwork and the personal human drama inherent in the quest for knowledge. And if you, like me, have a morbid curiosity for all the darker aspects of human nature, it surely doesn't hurt that the particular branch of science whose origins this show explores is that of criminal psychology: the science which tries to understand how the minds of criminals work and what causes them to commit their crimes.

As you might have guessed, 'Mindhunter' isn't concerned with shoplifters or what goes on inside the head of someone who commits insurance fraud, but rather with criminals whose behavior is a tad more serious (like, you know, murderers who have a penchant for engaging in sexual activities with their victims' severed heads - stuff like that). And it isn't a documentary either; although the characters are based on real people and the show offers a realistic portrayal of serial killers, this is a dramatized account of events made for our entertainment. And entertaining it is, and on a high artistic level at that: the performances are fantastic; cinematography, editing and direction bear the clear trademark of the master filmmaker who produced and partly directed this (though it must be said that while Fincher appears to be the creative leader, the project was brought to him by one Charlize Theron who owns the rights to the book upon which the show is based and also serves as a producer, and the excellent teleplay was predominantly written by Jennifer Haley and the show's credited creator Joe Penhall).

To sum it all up: 'Mindhunter' is a show that takes full advantage of its format; this is long form storytelling as it was meant to be, and while it probably doesn't work for people with short attention spans, the patient viewer is rewarded with a fascinating, richly layered and suspenseful drama exploring the origins of criminal psychology and criminal profiling. Excellent stuff: 8 stars out of 10.

Favorite TV-Shows reviewed: imdb.com/list/ls075552387/

Favorite films: IMDb.com/list/mkjOKvqlSBs/

Lesser-Known Masterpieces: imdb.com/list/ls070242495/

Favorite Low-Budget and B-Movies: imdb.com/list/ls054808375/
370 out of 409 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Smart, intriguing, thats bing worthy
riveramaximilian14 October 2017
After reading some reviews I've come to the conclusion some reviewers should stick to game shows. I found this show to be smart, not once did I have a moment where I knew what was going to happen. The storyline, characters, and integration scenarios had my attention from the beginning to the end. I look forward to a season 2!
298 out of 359 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enter the psychopath's mind
Vinicius813 October 2017
Two episodes in and I'm already hooked. Technically speaking, this series is very good (it's directed by David Fincher, of course it's good) and it stays true (so far) to the real-life crimes it was based on. I can't say the same for the characters, and how close they are to the people who really did this work, but considering their names are different and the book they adapted wasn't some sort of biography, most of their personal (love) lives must be fictitious or at least overtly dramatized.

You see, this series here isn't some kind of good cop, bad cop chase villains and shoot and explode a lot of stuff and at the end of the day (or episode) they go back to their wives and sleep like babies. No. There are way too many series like that, so search elsewhere if that's what you want, because you won't find that here.

Mindhunter is slow. Very slow. At first it might look like an simple thriller but actually it tells the story of two FBI agents in their pursuit to, as very precisely said by Holt McCallany's character, "understand how crazy thinks". But that doesn't come easily. Crazy is crazy. You gotta be crazy to understand crazy. But that doesn't stop naïve Holden Ford from interviewing the most despicable real-life psychopaths alive in America in the late 70's to develop the ideas that will become the tenets of the criminal profiling system.

As I said before, Mindhunter is directed by David Fincher, and as expected from his work, it's impeccable, both pacing and cinematography are top-notch. At the end of the episode you will be like "wait, that's it?" as the credits roll and the song keeps playing like the story is still going on. And somehow you are watching the next episode.

Writing and dialogue are great too. All very natural and haunting. Damn psychos could very much be the real ones. And that gets me to the acting, from what I've seen there's enough to say it's fantastic. The characters are brought to life by the actors. Also, the chemistry between characters Holden Ford and Bill Tench is incredibly real and sometimes, even through the bleakness of their work's nature, hilarious.

To finish off, I'll just say the biggest review cliché: Mindhunter is not for everyone. I know you know everyone says it, but it's truer in this case. If my review and the trailer got your attention, you gotta watch it. If it didn't, you'll probably hate Mindhunter. That's how it goes.
282 out of 340 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I almost gave up one this one..
lkurs-6637914 October 2017
I almost gave up on this around the 2 episode. Something told me to hang in there, and I'l glad I did. If you're fascinated by the psychology and methodology of a serial killer, you should watch the entire series. It does start off slow, but well worth the wait. When it comes to "Mind Hunter," patience is a virtue!
226 out of 274 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Can't Watch Just One Episode
boatsfra22 November 2017
Mindhunter is a 10 episode series on N'flix that hits a home run with me. First of all, David Fincher can do no wrong in my eyes, blending trance-like music with scenes that are unforgettable. He does this a few times and my goodness he's the master at it. Every scene, every line...well-constructed and nothing wasted.

Mindhunter gets into your head very quickly and not only for the content, but for the era it is held in. If you weren't born in the 70's, that's OK because the producers here have done a masterful job in recreating America in that decade. I honestly don't know how they did it scene after scene.

Mindhunter is a series where each character leaves an indelible mark on your psyche. The content is deep and makes you wonder. Don't forget to hug mom. I give it a 10 on the "bingeable" meter.
91 out of 108 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's a good watch
snowyprecipice14 October 2017
I hate it when people give reviews or ratings after half-assed watching just 2 or 3 episodes. Yes, Mindhunter is a slow burner and yes, it's not fast-paced or exciting. If you want that, go somewhere else. Mindhunter is a 'thinking piece' of work where you have to watch and see where it goes while having your mind whirring and contemplating the difficult questions the show poses. Why are serial killers so fascinating to us? The Ed Kemper in the show was just riveting, as were the other serial killers they interviewed. The main characters pose interesting questions and are complex individuals, and towards the end of the series this poses conflict.

Also, who is that random dude they keep showing at the start of some episodes? I have a feeling it's a serial killer they will face off with in the second season or something.

10/10 would recommend to anyone who likes more subtle shows, and likes having their minds peeled apart.
177 out of 220 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
How can we get ahead of crazy if we don't know how crazy thinks?
lbchacks13 October 2017
I'm spoiled for good quality TV shows that are intriguing and make me think while entertaining along the way. So many shows I watch the first episode and can't even get through it because its so predictable or cookie cutter. I'm excited I've found a new one to enjoy. And even though it is set in the 70s, its very relevant for today. Crazy takes on many forms. Back then it was "sequence killers" prior to term "serial killer" being used. Today its crazy mass shooters. I love Ford's desire to learn. I've watched 2 episodes and looking forward to the rest. And BTW the soundtrack is amazing!
148 out of 183 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fascinating & absorbing
princesspentium13 October 2017
Loved the feel of this new series. Intelligent and slow burning. Totally absorbing. I thought the two main characters were very well observed and portrayed. They fit well together and are a partnership that will stand the test of time, in my opinion. The period is well represented with excellently placed contemporary music.
171 out of 215 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not your typical Hollywood rubbish....
andrewrye-0653514 October 2017
I read the book by John Douglas (who consults to the show) some years ago...twice. Every now and then I get a memory or part of the book come back to me. This is very close to how I'd imagine the book made into a series - not a movie would look. For those that want a nicely tied up story each episode or answers for everything, you won't find it here.

The description is only partially right, this is about the development of the unit within the FBI that would eventually concentrate on serial killers and develop profiles for the offenders. For them to do this they had to interview thousands of serial murderers and find out how they clicked, their drivers and motivations. This was new ground with untested theories and often against the FBI's own protocol. So, mistakes were made, lines were over stepped and they didn't always get it right.

The two main characters play their parts well, I thought. Often bumbling about, arguing and unsure of what they are doing. I notice some reviewers mistake this for wooden acting and aren't able to like the characters, yet in my mind it works well. You have to remember this is set in the early 70s, so even the title 'serial killer' wasn't coined yet. Instead they called it 'sequence killer'. They were up against old thinking where even the mention of colloquial or slang terms for penis etc. were frowned on by the FBI.

It is unfortunate that some of the reviewers have treated this like a typical Hollywood cop or CSI show. Everything has to be laid out for them and they want some clever theorising and a nice tidy ending. Where as the story is in the journey, not the result. Hang in for the long haul, it's well worth it.

The only unfortunate piece for me is the lead's name 'Holden Ford'. If you are an Australian or NZer you will understand. Makes me cringe every time his name is said in full. Anna Torv makes a welcome member of the cast and gives it a nice air of sophistication.

It's a solid 9 for me.
101 out of 125 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dont listen to the commenters giving low ratings.
triforce-8893120 February 2019
The few people here who are rating this a 1,2 or a 3 have no clue what makes a TV show. They also have no clue what actual acting is. No this show is not one of those shows where a serial killer is shown stabbing their victim to death. We dont see the cops chasing down the bad guys and saving the day. What we see is some amazing acting from some beyond amazing actors, giving us the stories of these true crimes. So if at all you're interested in these type of true crimes dont listen to these people giving low ratings who do not have any idea what they're talking about. This show is worth watching.
140 out of 178 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Season 1 was fantastic, but.....
theroscoevine28 August 2019
Season 2 ground to a halt somewhere in the middle and never started, again. I was very disappointed. If it had been titled "Wendy's Broken Romance" or "Bill Tench's Crazy Kid" I wouldn't have watched it. They made BTK the central focus of the season, right from the outset, and then just let it fall. The Atlanta child murders, as heinous as they were, were introduced to the viewers under what seemed like a side plot and then quickly evolved into the main plot of the show, but then they dragged it out so long, had it been a rope, it would have snapped early on. They ultimately told very little story, very slowly, and with unnecessary side plots cluttering the whole bit. That's not even to mention the practical absence of the awesome serial killer interactions from season one. They did do a few interviews, but very few, and at least half weren't even conducted by Bill and Holden, and the ones Bill was involved in were corrupted by his rage at his unfortunate family situation which obviously distracted him throughout, and ultimately made the interview segments devolve down to the level of side plots when those segments were a principal factor in making season 1 as great as it was. It wasn't good. If I had known how it was to be handled, I'd have banked season 2 so that I could watch it and season 3 back to back. Watching season 2 by itself felt like a real non-starter. For what it's worth, I've already seen some compelling depictions of the madman that was BTK. I could just go watch those again.
71 out of 88 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Season 1 was intriguing Season 2 was so so
mochteam25 August 2019
I liked the idea behind season 1 of getting into the minds of serial killers to find more serial killers. Season 2 started out as a continuation of that then jumps off into way too many directions.

It starts with them forgetting the main characters subplot of having panic attacks that affect his ability to do his job (they forget about it entirely halfway through the season).

Then it jumps to the 2nd subplot of the older agent (Agent Tench) and his future serial killer son and nonsupporting home maker wife that drags on scenes that you get tired of watching very quickly as it adds nothing to the story what so ever.

The third subplot which is even less needed is the lesbian love life of Dr. Carr. In this season she falls for a woman who is basically the female version of a male loser. Her relationship is full of pointless boring scenes only there to remind the audience that one of the characters is gay and the show is edgy.

Let me just say this I watched Agent Scully and Mulder go on all kinds of investigations for like 8 years and I don't recall any of the episodes being about either of their love lives. Just their partnership and their work. I don't get why this series has to have all this extra stuff without even establishing the man plot first. It's like the movie has ADD. One scene it's the main story, next scene it's the nagging housewife, next scene the lesbian bartender I mean give us a break and focus on the plot.

The main plot? I thought it was about the BTK killer but it switches to another serial killer named Wayne Williams. Why didn't I like season 2 is mainly because of this story even with the extra stuff thrown in there. Too many racial politics thrown in and stuff that reflects on what still goes on today with the current news and politics so it's really depressing. It seemed to lean away from the plot of meeting serial killers and learning about them to just focusing on one killer that whose story had and unsatisfying ending even worse it's based on real life so it's that much more depressing of a season.

The problem with the main plot is that it's supposed to show that thing FBI's Profiling Program is capable of catching a killer and well most of the episodes are spent with their profiling skills being ignored entirely. If this was a documentary about Wayne Williams it would be well done. If this was a show about the inner workings of serial killers and dissecting their behavior to prevent future crimes it wasn't so great to watch.
44 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Season 2
TheTrashTreasury18 August 2019
The best parts of season 2 were definitely the scenes where Bill and Holdon (and Dr. Carr and Gregg) go and interview the serial killers in jail. They brought to life much needed pulse to the episodes. Everyone of the actors portraying them were SPOT ON! Especially Oliver Cooper as Son of Sam and my dude Damon Herriman as Charles Manson. Damon as Manson was SOOOO eerie. Wow. His appearance and mannerisms gave me chills. Give that dude an Emmy!!! But other than that, season 2 was a little slow and..I don't know, I really don't like Jonathan Groff as Holden Ford for some reason. He comes off as pretty annoying (And.. they went no where with the panic attack bit, but maybe they'll touch base on it in the 3rd season). The show was enjoyable to watch but I was way more into watching the few mins of interaction with the serial killers than watching Holdon and Bill trying to figure out how to get Wayne Williams. And also, urghhhh the ending was abit anti-climatic and underwhelming.
26 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Come On Netflix: We Need Season Three of "Mindhunter"
markkbranson22 August 2019
I've watched both seasons, the last one in three days. With the teaser(S) at the end of Season Two, there has to be a third season. Why? Well, I will explain:

First, this series is solid because of the acting across the board. I hadn't noticed in season one, but two of my favorites from the "Fringe" series are here: Anna Torv and Michael Cerveris. The others, particularly Groff (Holden Ford) and McCallany (Tench) are great as the FBI agents who founded the unit.

Second, the writing is wonderful. I particularly enjoyed the interview with Charles Manson, as well as the other "serial" killers. The writing staff is superb in the way they have taken characters from our collective consciences and given then a character we begin the understand.

Third, there are too many shoes left to drop: What is going to happen with Wendy (Torv)? What is Tench going to do about his son? What is Ford going to do? And what about this one guy with a mask we have seen throughout this season??

I could go on and on, but Netflix has an obligation to us to bring some sense of closure to this series and it can't be left hanging like this. Come on Netflix; announce the third season coming in 2020!
29 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Often great, but too much filler
sisyphus195524 August 2019
Season 1 is weighed down by Holden's unnecessary relationship drama. Season 2 is weighed down by Wendy's unnecessary relationship drama. Season 2 also has a heavy handed analogy between Bill's son and the killers they're investigating. When the show is on track, it's an electrifying 10 that keeps me on the edge of my seat. The subplots weigh it down and make the episodes a frustrating chore. While it's interesting to see the effects building this process had on its pioneers, I wish they had stuck with the development of techniques and not gotten bogged down in subplots that contribute nothing. Here's hoping for a leaner and more focused season 3.
22 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Must see!
mfiveoh14 October 2017
If you are remotely interested in the birth of serial killer profiling, this is a "must watch" series! Although I am not an expert in the field, It's easy to recognize the meticulous attention to detail given toward the creation of "Mindhunter." The cast and associated acting were spectacular. Joe Penhall (Writer of "The Road") has put together another gritty, texture-filled, masterpiece using actual profiles of some of the most prolific serial killers of the late 60's, early 70's. I highly recommend this title!
87 out of 116 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Intense. Fascinating. Maybe even brilliant.
jaskunwar99313 October 2017
I love it. It's such a new concept, such a thrilling new approach to crime/investigative type of content.

I am three episodes in so far, and I am hooked. I was hooked after the first episode. Ed Kemper is such a fascinating character. There are times when he is talking and I am just stunned... I crave to listen to him. I understand Ford so well... I understand his drive to listen to these guys. I feel his compassion for Kemper and I really think he genuinely seems to be becoming his friend. Tench is a great addition to Ford, almost as if his better half in this journey to communicate with 'sequence killers' (the show takes place in a time that had not yet identified the concept of 'serial killers'), to try and figure out other such killers and maybe stop them before they act.

I am yearning to find out what's ahead. Fincher, much like House of Cards, helmed the first two episodes, set the tone, and left it. Whatever he sets his hands on turns into gold. The perfect choice of a director for something such.

I can't wait for Holden and Bill to speak to other 'sequence' killers. I can't wait to meet Miller, Manson... and any other crazy lunatic psychopath rotting in jail... I can't wait to know and understand them.
140 out of 192 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lost It's Focus in Season 2
freakychicbab3 September 2019
Season 1's cliff hanger was very exciting. They briefly explain what happens come season 2 but then it's never mentioned or used in any other way, which was disappointing. Season 2 is full of filler episodes that barely progress the story. The first 4 episodes bounce through so many different stories lines it's difficult to keep track of whats what. Then the last episodes are dragged out with the same story line. I liked that they shifted focus onto Dr.Carr, but her whole relationship seemed to mirror Holden's from season 1. Do we like the girl friend or do we hate the girl friend?! Season 2 left nothing to really look forward to in a season 3.
18 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
First series good, second series dull
stephanos_steer23 August 2019
The first series is interesting and informative and I binged watched it and wanted more at the end. Holden and Tench were great and you felt real tension when they were interviewing people such as kemper. Also the supporting cast were good and their characters added to the whole thing. At the end of the series I wanted more.

Bring on series 2 and some bright spark decided that we need to know about some fictional interpersonal relations and it is just extremely dull. I don't care and it detracts from what I do care about which is the serial killer stuff and the interviews.
23 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Breathtaking in its dept of character development
insideout0981 November 2017
To say that I am a fanatic about shows involving criminal psychology is a gross understatement. I am a veteran of the genre, and thus, easily bored with shoddy character sketch work and less than intelligently thought out plots. Mindhunter is everything but, and I mean everything. Every moment is monumental. The pauses are as riveting as the occasional action, like one gigantic tapestry, its beauty hinging on the the juxtaposition of patterns and colors nestled together. This is a show about the development of Behavioral Science as it relates to serial killers. One after the next the psychology of killers are unraveled through techniques that are routinely called into question, but vindicated, keeping the plot lines alive and well and the characters true to their core values. The interviews themselves are intense and unsettling, mostly because one has no idea what might happen when dangerous criminals are left unchained in a closed space with unprotected FBI agents. But how else would they gain their trust? This is one of the show's most distinctive elements, that you never know what will happen in the presence of almost unfathomable darkness. I honestly wondered to myself where they found the actors who portrayed these manipulative monsters. They were all so masterful, and this applies as well to all of the characters, both central or secondary. The tenth episode opened a door to new territory of psychological horror that I cannot wait to follow into the second season. The ONLY show in this particular genre on par with this one is the first season of True Detective. If you were a fan of that show, you'll love this. One final note, the female characters in Mindhunter are all strong, intelligent, insightful...and off putting. This may bother some, but understand the time frame and this begins to make sense.
36 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Season 2 - In the shadow of the first season... unfocussed with unexplored avenues
christijanrobert26 August 2019
This review is specifically geared towards season 2. I have only praise and admiration for season 1 which was superbly executed, well-structured, psychologically probing, fascinating and immensely satisfying in terms of character and plot development. Season 1 is fine television, far better than the usual dreck masquerading as supposed good television.

And that's what season 2 is... basically dreck but done with the right amount of detail, style and execution to allow viewers to feel compelled to watch it even though it is rehashing or rather borrowing blatanly from itself or other television series.

I suppose dreck is a harsh or rather, overly critical word. One should focus on the positives and with the first season and this one, the acting talent remains at a distinct and wonderful level. It was the actors that kept me returning until the last and utterly disappointing final episode. The early episode gave me hope. I loved and welcomed the addition of Ted Gunn, the new head of the Behaviorial Science Unit. Micheal Cerveris played the character with the perfect balance of casual menace and unnerving respect. His character has an obvious agenda and his presence lends the show a daunting and taunting element whereby the characters must both feel supported and uncertain of his intentions. He was the highlight. He breathed his role and his presence on screen made the season matter to me. And yet, his character and many others were unexplored and left dangling in the wind or abandoned to the backseat as other subpar plot took up the viewer's attention.

The returning cast - Jonathon Groff as Agent Ford, Holt McCanally as Tench and Anna Torva as Dr. Wendy Carr - are all excellent. They give great performances, embodying their roles but I felt they too were squandered by bland and less than the inspiring side-stories. For instance, Tench is now faced with an obvious sociopathic son to deal with while his wife, played by Stacey Rocca is becoming consumed in varying bouts of despair, panic and callous helplessness. So many times I felt like Rocca or the screenwriters or both were extracting pages and bland inspiration from the nag-a-minute playbook of Skylar from Breaking Bad, aggravating the viewer with this eye-rollingly dull character. Her screen presence did nothing, her blank stares and minor monologues made me cringe. Also, the son's character bored me. The writers were pounding so hard on my nose with this one - "look, look, you see...the guys who chase serial killers, look... one of them might be raising one at home... whoa... right?" Yawn and pedestrian. Someone shot sublety in the face and expected everyone not to notice or be forgiving.

Then there's Dr. Wendy who is now in a lesbian relationship but oh, bloody hell, they just regurgitated Debbit Mitford, Ford's girlfriend from the previous season but a little more bohemian and less well-educated and played out to the same tune but becoming crap for the viewer. The reason for their breaking up at the end of the season as a result of something Carr overheard the new girlfriend saying to her ex-husband was another dreck moment. It felt telegraphed, less foreshadowed. Meanwhile, there was no chemistry between the two actors. No tension. No sense of risk and beauty. The entire relationship felt fumbled because the two actors were basically hampered with cliches. Lena Olin, the great Swedish actress of Berman fame, played Carr's older lover in the first season and what a presence she brought. Like a dominant mother, you respected and resented her at the same time. In this instance, though the viewer might understand Carr's attraction to someone like Lauren Glazier's Kay Manz, that she is rebelling against type and academia, I couldn't wait for their scenes to be over. The small scenes in the first season where she is attempting to gain connection with a cat in her new building had more heart and depth than the conversation between the doomed relationship.

Under-utilization ... this would be the main theme of the season. The scenes with Ed Kempner and Charles Manson were under-utilized. It felt like this second season began with the temptation to see these individuals again only for them to fall by the way side and be neglected. What was their puprose? They had no relationship with the rest of the season, with the Atlanta child murders. Nothing. Meanwhile, characters like FBI Agents Gregg (Joe Tuttle) and Barney (Albert Jones) were also unexplored. They were basically pawns placed in certain places so the main actors could talk to someone other than themselves. Gregg has a distinct moral compass, a hesitation in him and it was only hinted at. You feel for his character yet are given little else. The same for Barney. Actors who brought a lot and were given little in return.

The reason I loved the first season is that the minor characters, such as the policemen and detectives Ford and Tench encounter during road school grounded the show in a deeper humanity. They brought a context of complexity in their sincerity and bafflement regarding the murders they have trouble solving. This was contrasted with the disgusting humans in jail, those responsible for the heinous crimes.

In this second season, everything is floating and dissolving and while I admire David Fincher's work, it felt like he was trying to rework Zodiac. The Atlanta child murders sequence, when this started to take precedence and one episode left the viewer clinging for the next, I was reminded of Broadchurch. By episode six then seven, then eight, I got so tired of the race card being played. White men in suits are bad and they don't care about inner city kids. And politics and politicians are bad and this is bad and that's bad. Someone should have at least called up David Simon from The Wire and asked him how to handle depicting the multi-racial panorama of a city. His writing staff created true three dimensional character and not once was the moral chess board set up in front of the viewer where they had to feel one emotion for one character and one for another. The mothers grieving for their missing children were cardboard cutouts in this season, characters that basically gave the FBI agents the stink eye. That was it. Or they were sad. Their stories deserved more. Again, under-utilized, under explored.

And the ending, subverting expectations seems to be the theme of 2019. Game of Thrones really miffed fans. Yet this kind of subverting was for me lazy and sloppy storytelling. Basically, you begin the show by trying to borrow a page from the first season, abandon it for boring side stories, throw in some one-dimension racial divide and end with a whimper. Watching this season, I longed to rewatch The Wire. It made wonder if Fincher should return to film but I guess the golden paycheque is keeping him working for the small screen.
24 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Season 2
Chrispearce218 August 2019
Loved season 1 and was really looking forward to season 2. Whilst still good it was slow in comparison to season 1 with a bit of a dull finish. Still well worth watching but I hope season 3 picks up again.
35 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
First Season good, Second is awful
tiberijegrozni26 August 2019
First season of the show was interesting . It gave new perspective to serial killer shows. Insight in the minds of Kemper and couple of others was great and there was a great focus in what is important and what is this show all about, building methodology of future serial killer profiling.

Unfortunately second season falls of the cliff. Interviews with serial killers are far and between and they are pretty shallow (excluding Kemper) and then Netflix inserts decent amount of political correctness that doesn't add anything to the story and it feels just like a filler to the show. Gay relationship between Psychiatrists and bartender is boring and too long and pointless it doesn't add anything to the story and it's there because it is politically correct to have it in the show these days and it fills around 10% of the show time Another story line that is too long is Problem that Bill has with his adopted son. It seems that 25% of every episode is his wife crying or asking him 20th time to take vacation so they can help the kid. I am urging screenwriters to send this guy on vacation so I don't have to watch it again.

Then we have Atlanta child murders that deals more with racial tensions and politics and less with murders itself. Add another 25% of time on that because that is what is popular now, racial tensions with whole lot political correctness.

At the end you have around 40% of showtimes that deals with murders and around half is decent.

I would skip 2nd season completely because it's barely passable. First season I would rate 8, Second 5 and both season generously 7.
28 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Violent mind develops? Mental disorder? Or just plain evil?
namob-4367313 October 2017
I find the premise of this show fascinating and it is, thankfully, focusing on what I believe to be the most intriguing and most "entertaining" bits and pieces of a serial killers life and actions. If you compere this show with, for example, Criminal Minds, this is a much better show, a much more realistic show. I always liked Criminal Minds, especially the first seasons, because the focus was/is as much on the killer and the psychology of the violent mind as on the people trying to catch the killer. I do however also, somewhat, dislike Criminal Minds because the team do end up in shootings, car chases and are way too much involved in action to give me that realistic feel. This show does not let the main characters shot 25 rounds and break into buildings each episode to catch/kill the "monster" of the week. In other words if you like action, big shot-outs, shaky cams and sexy good looking people hunting down killers this show is not for you.

If you however like intelligent TV with great scripts that focuses on chronological psychological analysis and have a sort of moral failure versus mental affliction vibe to it, then this might be for you. If you also like well acted stories that slowly, but surely, move along towards a poignant, but not very action-y goal, then this is definitely for you.

This is one of the best TV shows I have ever watched. True it can be a bit too slow at times, even for me, and yes there are a few hick-ups along the way, but in essence this is as good as TV can be.

Serial killers can present a public persona that appears to be "good" and also nurture a dark side that allows murderous fantasies free reign. Perhaps because they have painful memories from abuse? Disappointments? Or there has been some humiliation, frustration, or being bullied so they have turned to fantasies to comfort themselves. They might even develop an alternate identity that feels more powerful or provides greater status. How do you, as law enforcement, or as a casual viewer (or member of society) relate to this? Are you to capable? Could you murder women and chop of their heads? If you say no: why not?

How do you draw the distinction between "bad", "mad", "evil" and "learned behavior"? If I had "A" and "B" happen to me, would I flip out and start killing people? What is the definition of "evil"? And from the conclusions you draw and the knowledge you have; how do you use this to catch serial killers? These are the questions asked by the show and since it is, loosely, based on reality, it gives you a very unsatisfactorily satisfaction each time you finished watching an episode.

I highly recommend this show - but as eluded to above; this is not for everyone. In this season there is only one shot fired, and that happens after 2min of the first episode, so action-addicted people should probably go watch something else.
57 out of 83 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Look into the abyss... at your own risk...
joelegecko14 October 2017
This probably is the best show about criminology and serial killers ever made.

They managed to not linger over gloomy pictures and easy gore. This is a slow paced show but that probably is the only show that is so close to the truth. Yes, they took liberties ( a very specific confrontation was moved from one location ( prison ) to another one ) but in the end, it does pay off. It's all about the characters' journey.

I highly recommend "Whoever fights monsters" and "Sexual Homicide: Sexual Homicide: Patterns and Motives" by Robert Ressler ( the inspiration for Bill Tench, great acting from Holt McCallany ). And of course, Mindhunter by John Douglas, on which the show is based on.

It is very refreshing to watch a show that doesn't go for the easy shock value. Impressive casting ( Cameron Britton as Ed Kemper ) and great cinematography.

Seeing the team looking for new ways of describing what couldn't be described yet is nerve breaking. I can't even fathom how such a show never was shot before. The fact they didn't go for the gory pictures but instead focused on dialogue without tuning down the sexual driven abuse is impressive.

They did not shy away from some of the most difficult part of the murderers' psyche. And they did an excellent job regarding characters development.

Now... What didn't tick? Anna Torv was great as Pr Wendy Carr. BUT, the show started to show a lot liberal propaganda in the middle of its story. Overly strong female characters, best_of_its_league black character limited by white supremacy, the unnecessary lesbian character...

For once, I could get behind the strong female lead. Why? Because otherwise, it would only be about female victims. But, Hollywood, keep your politics out of your shows, because if there is one thing very obvious now, it is that you place personal gain over your "opinions" when it suits you.

I can't wait for Season Two... Schaefer, the Sacramento Vampire, BTK, Heirens, Gacy, Dahmer... so many profiles, stories to explore...
100 out of 160 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.