All the Rage (Saved by Sarno) (2016) Poster

Watch This Film Before Filling That Prescription
Molly Garrett29 May 2017
All The Rage (Saved by Sarno) is a must-see film for anyone suffering from chronic pain or anyone who knows someone suffering from chronic pain (which is pretty much everyone). After watching my ex-husband go through hell with chronic back pain, numbness in his left leg, sciatica, etc. and plummet down the traditional pain management rabbit hole, I only wish this film had come out sooner. It was obvious to me that his stress and anxiety caused the pain to worsen - I could actually see the mind-body connection at work but felt helpless to do anything about it. The multitude of medications prescribed to him, some of which caused suicidal thoughts and massive withdrawal symptoms, led to lost jobs, a car accident, and ultimately a failed marriage.

Dr. Sarno's work could change the lives of countless people who suffer by allowing them to get to the root cause of the problem which is most often not physical. So glad this information has finally come to light - bravo!
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Well needed light on life-saving subjects and discussions...
John Yingling22 May 2017
Chronic pain is one of the worst things on the planet. My mom has been sick for a long time. Fibromyalgia. Chronic Fatigue. IBS. She lives in a small town, and the doctors are useless to help her, really. She's been at her wits end for a long time. I saw my mother in this film, just as Michael Galinsky saw himself on every page of Sarno's books.

As I watched this film, I wept. I ordered my parents the books, and called them to tell them I'll be sending them this film as soon as possible.

As I dug into Sarno's teaching, surely there are many who won't "take to" or let their brains accept a lot of this information. Surely, it won't work for everybody.

However, what Michael has done is shined a light on an option. Sometimes, it's only an option, that somebody needs. To change their life forever. To get better enough to make that one change that turns things the way they need.

It's about hope. It's about life. It's about how powerful emotions can be.

My story is a long one, but one thing is clear. Watch this movie when you can.

It should be required viewing for anyone in school, or the medical field.

Take care.
Moving & transformative
ewadubinsky22 May 2017
I had the privilege of seeing this film when it premiered at the Doc NY film festival this fall. Since then, I've been waiting for it to come out so I can share it with my family and friends. It is powerful, engaging, informative and beautifully filmed. To me, the strength of the film lies in its storytelling- the story of the connection between the mind & body/repressed emotions & chronic pain, the story of a revolutionary doctor, a hero to his patients but struggling for acceptance in the medical world, the film maker's own story & multiple fragments of other stories. It seems like required viewing for anyone who has experienced chronic pain, coped with stress or been hit with loss, which means for just about everyone. Highly recommended.
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Timely and terrific exploration of pain and what we can do about it
sasha-waters-freyer23 May 2017
All the Rage is a film like nothing else out there - a personal essay on love and family; a compelling portrait of Dr. Sarno; a thoroughly researched and data-driven investigation into our individual and collective pain as humans in the world, in this moment, pain that is physical, psychic and emotional. That pain is real, we know. We feel it, and we see the havoc it is wreaking on a social fabric frayed by increasing anxiety, mental illness, opioid abuse - these traumas of contemporary life. With bravery, insight, compassion and self-compassion, Michael Galinsky and Suki Hawley have crafted an amazing film that will change the way you think about pain and recovery. Personally, I watched this film after severely straining my back, while I was confined to bed, and by that night felt 1,000 better!
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A bold and personal challenge to establishment medicine
Michael Workman22 May 2017
ALL THE RAGE is a compelling personal narrative that challenges establishment medicine's treatment of chronic pain. Galinsky weaves his own story into the film showing his struggle with chronic pain. The film's lead protagonist fights against his fellow practitioner and you are pulled into his struggle. The film is a provocative, emotional, and challenging journey. It successfully makes the argument that we do not fully understand the source of chronic pain and it may very likely be more linked to our emotions that many want to believe. Not only is the argument compelling the story is well told with fully developed characters.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The most important film of the century
kbarlow-5899626 September 2017
This story is screaming to be told and what better way to tell it. I am in awe of Dr Sarno and every other TMS crusader. It must be hard being ignored and even ridiculed by mainstream medicine but they have stood by what they believe in and fought for this story to get out into the world. After all, its what mankind has known for years.

It all makes sense and what better way to sum it up than the opening quote from Mr Holmes (which I won't spoil). I remember the last time I visited the Consultant Urologist and he told me the only thing he could do for me was surgically remove my bladder. I knew deep down inside that there was something else going on so I told the Consultant that I knew my body more than he did and I never saw him again. That was nearly 3 years ago. Since then I discovered Dr Sarno and I owe him my life, I swear I do. So if you cant seem to get an answer for your pain, please watch this. It will change you life.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fantastic - must see
cab-6648310 June 2017
This documentary is incredible - one of the best things I've seen in theater, ever, hands down. Every person who has ever experienced pain of any kind or knows someone who has, every doctor of healthcare professional, basically every person that exists should see this. Going again later this week and inviting every person I know to come with. THANK YOU to the filmmakers for working tirelessly on this.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
engaging and a must see journey of work that challenges us to shift the narrative
anastasiaw-4783428 May 2017
"What do you mean it's in my head? I feel the pain. It's very real!"... or something like that spoken by Larry David was my sentiment as well. It IS very real, yet All the Rage is on task and delivers in portraying the mind-body pain connection and Dr. Sarno's life's work in chronic back pain. All the Rage presents a sound, scientific journey of his work, its successes, and the push-back. This film is engaging from beginning to end and opens the door to discussion of what medical traditions we accept at face value, why we do, and our ability to shift the narrative.
Excellent Film for Anyone Seeking Relief from Chronic Pain
carennc28 May 2017
Having lived with chronic pain for 20+ years, the last thing I wanted to hear was that it was 'all in my head'. I organize groups for people living with chronic pain from Lyme disease and many people feel the same way I do.

This film shows a different approach to thinking about the power of the mind and illness. It is presented in a way that people can trust that the pain experienced from their illnesses is taken seriously. I did not know about Dr. Saarno before seeing this film. I had heard of the Mindbody Prescription but assumed it was just for back pain and that it did not relate to me. It does relate however because Sarno takes a much broader approach to chronic pain, beyond the back.

This film got me to seriously look into the mind again as a way to address chronic pain, in a way that other films, books, and speakers have not. I highly recommend it to anyone seeking a powerful addition to their current treatment plan.
important film
blythe1726 May 2017
Dr. John Sarno has long been a pioneer in his field, never out to make money or take the easy road. Spending decades of his life encouraging people to look within to find the cause of their pain has not made him rich, but has improved countless lives. The filmmakers shine a much-needed light on Dr. Sarno and his work, and Galinsky also makes it personal, putting himself and his family in the film, and showing the far-reaching effects of Dr. Sarno's work. The filmmaking is done with a steady hand, taking us on this journey in a compelling and emotional way. I truly believe this is required viewing. An excellent documentary on a very important subject.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Life-changing potential through revolutionary challenge to the medical establishment
awanning24 May 2017
This film has the potential to change thousands of lives for the better. It follows the story of Dr. John Sarno, an independent- minded doctor who has a remarkably good record treating back pain following the simple idea that our emotional state is closely related to our physical state. Unfortunately his ideas and methods, while seemingly employing common sense, are incompatible with the modern medical establishment (with rare exceptions), and he is shunned by his colleagues. Nevertheless, hundreds of patients, including director Michael Galinsky - whose own cringe-inducing back pain is treated by Dr. Sarno during the film - make their way to his office and are overwhelmingly pleased with the life-changing, pain- reducing results. This story, and the excellent, provocative filmmaking, makes a compelling case that modern medicine has failed us in this area; at the very least, Dr. Sarno's ideas should be taken much more seriously by the medical establishment. If they don't, they will be left behind, as books and movies like this show the path to ever-more patients to seek out the next generation of Dr. Sarnos.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A wild ride of discovery of what can cure our back pain epidemic. Must-see viewing for anyone suffering from back pain, and a deep personal look at dealing with such issues.
All the Rage is a must see movie for the timely, true life, personal tale it tells of how we deal with our physical pains. Through the personal experience of the director we discover that there is an holistic way to approach physical pain that focuses on the entire person rather than unhelpful surgery or drugs.

Through the journey we discover the iconoclastic and courageous back doctor -- Dr. Sarno whose ideas on healing back pain, while controversial, are successful. His cure is not as easy as popping a pill or signing up for surgery, but they are effective and long lasting.

While the subject may sound dry, the personal documentary style allows you to go through the emotions when suffering back pain and the required self-examination to heal it.

This move will help cure such sufferers; to that end it is critical viewing for anyone suffering back pain and those who love them.
Excellent
Betsy Pooler Monroe22 May 2017
Deeply and beautifully personal, moving, interesting and informative... all wrapped up in one film, which is not an easy task to achieve. I recommend this documentary for anyone interested in the mind/emotions and body connection in healing pain. This is an excellent, well-done film.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Transform your Mind, Body and Soul!
drgaryaltheim22 May 2017
I am a Clinical Psychologist, Activist, and Motivational Speaker. I can tell you with great confidence that this is a must-see film that can help you begin the process of transforming your life; your Mind, Body, and Soul. Dr. Sarno literally saved my life and this movie is the million-dollar gift that keeps giving. All great Artists are Activists. Michael Galinsky and his team have produced an Oscar Award winning film in this production. All the Rage educates us about Willful Blindness, the truth about back pain, and the secret to pain-relief. I had back pain for 20 years; I eventually became crippled, paralyzed and could not walk. I was getting ready for surgery and then I met Dr. Sarno and Dr. Eric Sherman. Six months later I was skiing and climbing mountains. To this day I am pain-free. I wish I had this movie a decade ago but I know Michael was busy making it for 10 years so I am not angry at him. Go SEE ALL the Rage, it is a life-changing experience. Thank you, Dr. Sarno, Michael Galinksy and all that made this film possible. Namaste.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Everyone must see this!!!
protrapkit15 January 2018
I am so grateful for this film! It is very well produced and sooo inspiring. Dr. Sarnos has forever change my life for the better. It portrays the good Dr. so well. Its an inside look on his life trials and tribulations and at the same time tells a real story of someone who has over come TMS. I would highly recommend this film to everyone! It will widen your views on chronic pain and life in general. Watch this film, you will not be disappointed! 5 Stars!
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's an urgent message about healthcare
wolfshipon24 December 2017
This is an important film for any consumer of healthcare services or a person related to one, so really, everyone.

I'm sharing what I wrote to the director.

Dr. Shipon

Hi Michael,

I wanted to thank you for your incredible movie. I am a person with chronic autoimmune issues and pain, and I am now taking a great interest in the work of Dr. Sarno.

I have ordered one of his more recent books.

I owe a debt of gratitude to you and your family.

Your own generous storytelling, as well as the way that you put together in this movie with some great personalities such as Larry David and Howard Stern, really helped me connect with the material.

As a psychologist, I had heard about Dr. Sarno from some of his adherents and I had always thought that it was, rather than testimonials to the value of the work, the musings of groupies or devotees.

I now see that I could not have been further from the mark, and I would like to learn more, especially because the work could tie into my own well-being and the well-being of so many of the people who come to see me for chronic pain issues through the modalities of clinical hypnotherapy, neurolinguistic programming, dialectical behavior therapy, and even cognitive behavioral therapy.

I was even delighted to see that Reiki, which got me into psychology because I was trained in that prior to anything else, was featured in your film.

Thanks again. Dr Randolph Shipon Author, Reiki Psychology Author, One Minute Healing
To me, Dr Sarno is a saint
dianapauldesign15 December 2017
Thank you for making this movie.

I met Michael Galinsky at the Portland screening, at the same time I was going through a horrible amount of pain in my hip and leg... I heard about Sarno's books years ago when I had another less horrible bout with back pain. And after reading "Healing Back Pain" at Howard Stern's recommendation, in about 2 days my pain was gone. Pain medication hadn't helped, physical therapy hadn't helped, steroid shots hadn't helped... My pain was literally gone after reading his book.

When this new pain started this summer, I read the books feverishly as it worked in the past. No change. Got steroid shots, no change. Read other people's books on pain. No change. Acupuncture, no change. Meditation, no change. Everywhere I went (when I got up the courage to move), people looked at me like they couldn't help me. The look in their eyes was heartbreaking. No one knew what would help me. I limped and ached everywhere I went and the thing I wished for most was that people couldn't "see" that I was in pain. Their looks were the worst part about it. They could feel my pain, and I didn't like seeing people in pain everywhere I went.

But I knew it would go away. I knew it. I just had to be patient and listen to my mind and body. It took longer this time, and didn't just "go away" like it had before.

When I met Michael at the screening, I told him what was happening with me, (he could see my limping) he looked me straight in the eyes and told me it WILL get better. And something in my mind must have clicked, I literally felt those words. Because not long after that, I remembered a woman I met years ago that is a therapeutic massage therapist, specializing in osteopathic therapies. I saw her a few times, and when things weren't coming along, she suggested I see her teacher for some more experienced help. He barely touched me, but I got off his table and I could walk straight. And within 2 days, zero pain.

It may seem like a miracle, but my mind and body told me what I needed because I finally listened and put the connections together about where to go for help.

The point Dr Sarno makes, I believe, is to not listen to what "others" tell you to do to fix your problem. Only your mind and your body know what you need. Everyone else is just selling you something. Literally, everyone else. Doctors are salespeople too. Everyone is selling their services, and everyone thinks they have the answer. Only you do. But our minds don't want to wait for the answer. We just want to go to whoever is closest or is covered by our insurance and fix it, like when we call a plumber to fix a leak. If only our bodies were built that way... But they aren't, we have minds and spirits too. And they all communicate without our even realizing. And we can tap into what they share if we slow down and listen.

That's what I hear when I hear Dr Sarno's words. I think it must be a little different to everyone. It seems like he speaks in whatever language each of us can hear him in.

Like I've said before, I think he should be sainted. To me, he is equal to those biblical healers, even Jesus himself, and we lived in the same lifetime as he did. How lucky are we?!?!
AWESOME...Should be Required Viewing in Schools
gerriyulzari21 November 2017
I first heard about Dr. Sarno from a chiropractor I know. I tried twice to schedule a viewing of this film in my neighborhood but could never get enough people to commit - everyone was interested but too busy to commit one evening, even if it could be life changing. When I found out I could view this via Vimeo I quickly did so (twice so far). There are no words adequate to express how grateful I am to Dr. Sarno, his associates, supporters, and Michael Galinsky. This movie should be required viewing in high schools and colleges. The world needs to wake up and realize how important the mind-body connection is.
A Profound Exploration Of The Mind-Body Connection
russelforster5 November 2017
As a Hospice nurse, I deal with pain, chronic and otherwise, on a daily basis. I also deal with family dysfunction, fear, anger, frustration, difficult history, and all the other things that make us complex humans. Having witnessed and successfully treated surprising connections between anxiety/depression and symptoms like pain/difficulty breathing/neurological symptoms and even constipation, the concept of the mind affecting the body has become natural to me. See this film to be introduced to this important and profound concept if you haven't already or have it reconfirmed if you have. Other cultures get this much better than this one seems to -- it's time to catch up!
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thank you for completing this project: ALL THE RAGE!
deniseiaquinta3 November 2017
"All the Rage" is very moving on a variety of levels. First, I truly appreciate Galinsky's willingness to share his story of emotional pain on such a personal level. It takes bravery, the same bravery to battle MindBody Syndrome, to take on such a task. Second, the willingness to subject oneself to the criticism of disbelievers. Third, I feel the movie perfectly demonstrated the constant frustration that Dr. Sarno felt in practicing medicine in such a revolutionary way. He was disrespected by colleagues. Sarno knew what worked for patients and did not want to "waste time" in a laboratory. The testimonials shown in the movie were very helpful in proving that the mind and the body should be viewed as a synergistic relationship and not to be looked as separate components. Great work and it is now our responsibility to share this movie and the important work that Dr. Sarno has pioneered. I believe any human being suffers from TMS/MindBody Syndrome in some way, shape or form, whether they want to admit it or not. Great job Michael and anyone associated with this film!
Powerful, Transformative Truth
mattieruthg31 October 2017
As a Psychosomatic Holistic Health Practitioner, I am so grateful for this film! This research -- this story -- gives powerful testimony to an ancient and profound truth: the body is a wise and benevolent teacher. Every thought, belief, and experience manifests in the physical form. We are powerful, creative agents of our lives! It is therefore our greatest responsibility and privilege to create by way of compassion and beauty. To educate ourselves through humble, relentless pursuit of truth. To transform the way we think and speak to ourselves and one another. Pain is not the body's betrayal. In contrast, the body always has our best interest in mind, and it points us back to ourselves. To our center. To our healing. To our purpose. I am so inspired and encouraged onward in the way of this good work - to come home to our bodies and to empower others to do the same. Watch this film, and please share it with all the people in your life who do not have to suffer through the misery of chronic pain. Thank you!
Life changing film!
kathleen-1465520 October 2017
I loved this film and Dr Sarno! It inspired me to take inventory of my emotions and how they are contributing to my back pain. Dr. Sarno's mind body approach to healing pain, makes perfect sense to me and will continue to help me throughout my lifetime. I highly recommend this movie to anyone who has pain or someone in their life with pain. Thank you to the filmmakers for sharing Dr Sarno's life saving work!
Watch this film!
littlejules17 October 2017
Emotions are powerful. I knew of the power of the mind/body connection but this film helped to put it all into perspective for me. To see what people suffer through and how Dr. Sarno's books can help. I will be reading Dr. Sarno's book and will continue to better connect with my emotions. I want to impart this wisdom to my boys, 9 and 11 also, as they need to learn that emotions are for feeling, not burying, which of course, can be easier said than done. Since I watched this film as part of the Bend Film Festival, I have been telling anyone who will listen about it. See this film. Open your mind. Feel your feelings. Cry when you feel like crying. Take a time out to breathe. Life is short and is worth living without emotional burdens and chronic pain. Thank you Michael for making this film!
At the right time...
tenzinandrio17 October 2017
Fantastic film. I'm going to focus on the film as a piece of art rather than on the somewhat revolutionary subject matter as others will cover that I'm sure.

It inhabits an interesting space in the documentary segment since one of the filmmakers is also the protagonist. This might upset some purists, but it works b/c the subject matter is deeply personal. I think viewers will connect with Michael since he presents himself openly and doesn't disguise or suppress his flaws, nor his good qualities.

I loved how the very direct, spoken (voiceover and on-camera) messages of the film are lightened with the use of more metaphoric shots of nature - butterflies, dew drops, trees, water. I'm making it sound corny, but it works.

Give it a shot. It's only $6 to download and it might just change your life.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
See the movie before you are quick to judge!
memast13 October 2017
This movie was amazing! It reaches all of the emotions and helps you walk away feeling more empowered with the knowledge that you can overcome one of the biggest epidemics there is in this country if you are facing it daily. It follows a personal journey that we can all connect with in one way or another. It was the best money I have spent on a movie in a long time! Enjoy it and walk away knowing you are capable of anything!