Dead Ant (2017) Poster

(2017)

This isn't going to end well
nogodnomasters7 March 2019
Sonic Grave, a one-hit power-ballad 80's glam band is on their way to a small desert festival. On the way there, they drop peyote and kill an ant. They are then attacked by giant ants.

This is a comedy/horror which is amusing but doesn't live up to its potential. Sean Astin is underutilized. He is from the Shire. Tom Arnold claims he has court documents which prove he is not a "creeper." The humor is a bunch of one-liners, most of which miss the mark. Who does peyote in the desert and doesn't see Michael Berryman? The film opens with a gratuitous nude scene from Cortney Palm again.

Guide: F-word, nudity. No sex. Short people fight.
1 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not a great movie, not even by a long shot...
paul_haakonsen6 May 2019
I didn't really know what I was getting myself into when I decided to sit down and watch "Dead Any". But still, I enjoy watching movies a lot and believe that all movies are worth giving a chance.

So I sat down to watch the 2017 "Dead Ant" movie without having heard of it prior to finding it, nor did I know who was in it.

While "Dead Ant" actually combines two ingredients that on paper and in theory would make for a fun movie and great combo, that being gargantuan insects and metal, then it turned out that the movie wasn't really all that enjoyable. It was trying to be campy and really didn't succeed overly well.

It should be said, however, that the movie does have some fairly interesting enough names on the cast list, such as Sean Astin, Jake Busey, Tom Arnold and Danny Woodburn.

I wasn't really amused nor entertained throughout the course of the movie, but I did manage to sit through the entire movie to the end. The movie's highlight was when Sean Astin's character said something about The Shire.

As for the special effects and CGI, well the ants were fairly poorly made and appeared quite horribly fake most of the time, which really didn't help promote the enjoyment of the movie.

"Dead Ant" is not really worth the time, effort or money.
2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amusing enough horror-spoof of 80's metal bands with Sydney Sweeney
Wuchakk29 March 2021
A past-their-prime 80's metal band named Sonic Grave tries to make a comeback by performing at a rock festival in the Southwest desert, but is attacked by giant ants on the way. Tom Arnold plays the manager, Rhys Coiro the guitarist, Jake Busey the singer, Cameron Richardson his girlfriend, Leisha Hailey the drummer and Sean Astin the bassist.

"Dead Ant" (2017) is an entertaining parody of has-been 80's hair bands mixed with low-budget creature feature. Cutie Sydney Sweeney is a highlight as a young woman traveling to the festival with her friend (Joi Liaye).

Michael Horse and Danny Woodburn are also on hand as a comical duo.

The movie runs 1 hour, 27 minutes, and was shot in Santa Clarita, California.

GRADE: B-
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
For this genre it wasn't bad.
deloudelouvain22 March 2019
I can understand the reviewers that thought it was horrible. Those reviewers are looking for something of higher quality, a serious movie with a suspenseful plot and with great special effects. Those things are all absent in Dead Ant. It's all just a bit of fun and mockery for the horror genre. It's a cheap horror/comedy with some mildly gore moments. The special effects are lousy but it just adds the right ambiance to this movie, nothing taken too serious. But it was entertaining, or at least to me it was but that's maybe because of the wacky tabacky, something I would recommend to have some nice good laughs with stupid humor like in this movie. The acting wasn't bad, it was supposed to be funny and that's exactly what it was.
11 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nicely Done
Tweetienator30 January 2019
Watched this with a friend and both we really enjoyed it - yes, Dead Ant is for certain no masterpiece but nevertheless entertaining - if you like horror + comedy + trash movie style. Alone the rock 'n' roll cliches are well played and here and there you get even a sip of gore. Not to forget the hot chicks provided, and last but not least, the acting and cam work are rock solid.

To sum it up: Dead Ant is a good one if you like trashy horror-comedies which you can watch "braindead" ;)
13 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Horrible
arfdawg-114 March 2019
I can't even discern what the plot was supposed to be. Ants and drugs and rock and stupid. Nothing made sense. Nothing.

It's a horrible movie that shoudl never have been made
7 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Has Its Moments
larrys316 May 2019
This horror comedy spoof has its moments with some laughs and chuckles along the way. But, to me, the positives were not consistent enough to rate any higher.

There's a good cast here, as the nearing has-been status metal band Sonic Grave and their manager (Tom Arnold) are traveling to Coachella---oops! make that the Nochella Festival (as they couldn't get booked into the big one). Stopping to buy some hallucinatory peyote from a local Native American with the hopes of creating some new songs, they're warned to not even slightly desecrate the land or living things in the area or there will be terrible consequences for them. Well, I don't have to tell you that soon they'll be battling and running from giant killer ants as the consequences.

All in all, this film, written and directed by Ron Carlson, offers some eroticism from young lithesome bodies, some gruesome horror scenes, and, as mentioned, some shock value laughs but I would say the 5.0 rating on this site is about right.
4 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Starts out stupidly...
mhorg201820 August 2019
... and goes downhill from there. I can understand why has-beens like Tom Arnold and Jake Busey are in this, but Sean Austin? Did he need the money? This was an utterly worthless, stupid, boring, ridiculous film. Some pinhead wanna be rockers looking to make a comeback eat peyote and release ants that, the more you kill, the bigger they get. Lame acting. Bad SFX. No story worth repeating. Garbage like this is why I never want to see THEM! get remade. It'll end up in the hands on no talent fools like this. Avoid at all costs.
2 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dead Ant-Dead Ant Dead Ant-Dead Ant !!
tbills22 June 2021
This movie has hot girls just like the stunning white girl at the beginning who gets naked while running from the giant ant. Cameron Richardson the only chick i know is so, so beautiful and blonde and I've known this since Rise. It would have been nice if Cameron got naked or at least stripped down to her underwear. I love the 2 sexy chicks.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
this was by far the most fun film I've seen all year!
juanmuscle14 May 2021
Definitely Tom and Jake were so funny and I love how Tom will say and do anything and he does it with his brand and kills it every single time! This was definitely a super fun rollicking exciting fun funny trip! Highly recommend it , I am trying to watch the director/writer's all of his films if I can cause this thing was very creative , only thing is , if the dope is so dangerous and the Indian and midget are so concerned about an ant apocalypse why sell this particular dope why not sell something a lil' less dangerous like weed or something? Lol (sorry I mean Native American!) But definitely still the most fun I've had watching a film in a long long time!
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Oh. My. God.
Patient44413 March 2019
This was down right...a fail. Such movies have no reason to exist, no point to them as clearly they can't even get a cult following from the It's So Bad It's Good group.

Productions like Sharknado look and act better than this one, I can not believe I wasted so much time on it. How did it turn out so bad? Was there no script, no readings of it, did they took no precautions into making a movie with some sense to it. They tried so much to hit that funny note and it was just miss after miss.

Dead Ant is one of the worst movies I've seen in a long time. Does not work for a black comedy, for gore, for some eye candy with beautiful women, it just does not work.

Cheers!
10 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nothing was funny in this
draftdubya8 July 2020
40 somethings acting like 12 year olds is not funny. I've seen movies with a $20,000 budget that are much better than this. The washed up actors must have costed the entire budget. For the love of God, STOP HIRING TOM ARNOLD.
So ridiculous it was Great
ghcheese27 June 2020
Sometimes you need a movie that entertains you. Are you going to learn anything from this? No. But you will be entertained. How many so called great actors make a movie with Millions of dollars worth of special effects and at the end you thought it sucked. Well they spent some thousand on special effects and I thought it was good. I would recommend this movie.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enjoyable and ridiculous
jonnytheshirt11 June 2019
Was not too sure at the start of this - a lot of homage to B-movies can fall flat. Watched this in a sunday afternoon however and it was perfect. Its a stupid movie doesn't pretend to be anything else. However the notable cast were obviously enjoying themselves and this came across as they delivered gung ho. Had quite a few laugh out loud moments. Even the songs were'nt too shabby either. Wasn't perfect but I did enjoy mucho, and I'd totally go see this band if they existed.
2 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why is Tom Arnold still cast movies?
livinglifing28 January 2019
Clear example of marrying-into-fame, why is Tom still being cast in movies? A TERRIBLE MOVIE, sure, but a movie regardless. Hollywood California is a mess...
14 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Revenge of the Ants
robertmurray-7063710 October 2019
This is one of those low-budget monster movies (giant ants this time) where the cast is so obnoxious you are on the side of the bugs and are delighted every time someone gets eaten. Tom Arnold, as the manager of a truly repulsive and washed-up heavy metal rock band, is hilarious, and if it wasn't for him the film would be no fun at all because most of the jokes that don't involve him aren't funny. Oh, and it's shot in the desert, and its really HOT, so the female cast members wear practically no clothing at all, not because the producers are pigs, but because it's integral to the plot (somehow). Finally, this film is offensive to native Americans but there's nothing unusual in that, right?
4 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If you want to see a hobbit with make-up
bashum-6573331 May 2019
This movie is just like a big joke with blood, boobs, giant ants and hard rock . If your ok with that it could be unjoyable if your on a good day.
1 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Laughable
lesliecurtin26 November 2020
In order to find this movie the least bit entertaining, you'd have to be eating peyote. Don't waste your time. It is, however, better than getting poked in the eye with a stick.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Definitely not eight legged freaks...
keithbet26 January 2019
That's because ants only have six. Hoping it would be as fun as 8lf which it was to a point and then got rather stale. Not worth the effort; even on a very slow weekend.
10 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mr. Arnold, please
honeyplacehappyisles22 July 2020
Stop assaulting the world with your terrible acting.

Bad writing, bad directing, bad casting, bad makeup, bad lighting, bad sound, bad soundtrack, bad everything.
0 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Curses, Foiled....er....Peyoted Again
PaJRJ13 October 2019
This is the movie that answers the question: What would it be like if someone with mediocre talent, limited budget and was really high wanted to make a movie after watching the double feature of Them! and This is Spinal Tap?

It's pure camp, grab a side bo...er...brewski and turn your brain off entertainment.
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sonic Grave
ttrimble-4336314 September 2019
This movie is excellent. The writing, directing and cast do an excellent job. Tom Arnold steals the show. It's a fun movie to watch. A comedy first and a mild horror movie second. Watch the movie and see for yourself. I'm not sure what the negative critics expected.

One reviewer said " it's not eight legged freaks." Well you are right. It's Dead Ant.
2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So bad it's good
sebastiansanchez3814 November 2020
This movie was a lot of laughs so don't take it too seriously. Just sit back and enjoy the movie.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Unoriginal and over all Crap.
baxtoryabass11 December 2018
A poor a attempt at humour, clearly took inspiration from other better made movies, and doesn't even try to hide it.

Don't waste your time go watch "Spinal Tap".
12 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's totally rad!
Robobutt13 March 2019
Dude, this movie is totally rad! Giant ants and some totally rad hair metal songs, the band plays songs by the excellent band Kix and that's rad. Jake Busy is in it and that kid from Encino Man and the Goonies is also in it and they are pretty rad and some is Tom Arnold, I totally recommend it!
4 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.