The Rake (2018) Poster

(2018)

Low Budget Monster/Slasher
mattchambers-8019328 January 2019
I enjoyed it. Not Oscar material obviously but from a guys who enjoys B monster/slasher style films I thought this was fun.
10 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wrong Medium
atrophic_dwarf23 July 2018
I feel like there are occasional horror films that might make better prose stories than films. "The Rake" is one of them. Character relationships seem important, and the performances are actually pretty decent, but those relationships aren't well developed or really make much sense in the film itself. The deeper psychological issues the film wants to work with don't quite land because the film can't really get beyond the surface. What occurs is a fair to midland character drama with seemingly random additions (again, a novel would allow background to be explored) and a difficult pace. A fairly lackluster ending doesn't do it any good, either: a last showdown between protagonist and monster just gets shunted, which really seems like the filmmakers ran out of money. It's not bad, just...unfinished.
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Where is the story?
omendata6 June 2018
Some nice gore effects and interesting creature (nice breasts , shame about the face lol).

Problem is there is no story to back up the CGI/Special effects and the acting is purest of pants - where did the creature come from, why is it there - duh!!! Without any details its just another formulaeic stalk and slash creature feature movie. Oh and the end of the movie is just awwwwwful!!!!!

When are they going to make a decent horror like with a story and some scares and give us a break from this toxic tosh! It can be done you know; Sam Raimi proved it with DRAG ME TO HELL - We need more Sam Raimi's and less Tom Tits!

Stupid, stupid, stupid.
17 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Look it's ok
antony-williams196224 January 2019
Quite spooky in parts - give it a go. There are a lot worse films out there !
9 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What the heck did I just watch?!
ScotsGirl8428 June 2018
Absolutely horrible! Where the hell is the storyline? This film doesn't explain anything at all. Aside from the gore and cgi which is okay....everything about this film is just garbage! It makes asbolutely no sense at all! Just another pathetic attempt that basically became yet another failed slasher! Don't watch this whatever you do! Complete waste of time!
9 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wtf
oostbrink8 June 2018
What have i just watched? No story, makes absolutely no sense!
10 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Tony Walsh does it again - Please stop doing it Tony
iamMarkPrice20 March 2020
Prolific writer, director, producer Tony Walsh shows us once again how not to write a script, and why these three roles need to be three separate people for quality control purposes. Let me state in no uncertain terms, this is not a good movie. It had a $6M budget, there are no excuses for what we got.

The rake tells the story of a brother and sister, with their... other sister? Female friend? Long lost cousin? Figment of their imagination? We never really find out for sure. And you'd best be ok with that because literally every other character has the same treatment, zero introduction let alone any kind of character building.

This may sound like a world shattering flaw in the film, but worry not dear reader because in actual fact the completely inauthentic speech patterns of each character and their interactions will shatter any kind of illusion of world building long before you even realise you were never introduced to them.

Exposition monologues, unexplained aggression, unrealistic reactions, cheesy lines... just really below elementary writing that you might expect from a beginner writer who hasn't yet found their voice. The kind that traditionally was never in a position where they could make a movie until they developed more into their craft.

This was a movie made for the sake of saying the movie was made. A movie that mistakes gore for horror at the expense of any kind of real threat, suspense or audience participation. There is no theme, no message beneath the surface layer, no depth of story. What remains is a shallow film, where you won't really know who anyone is then some random gore take place. Why the random gore takes place? Well, don't worry we're never told that either so at least it's consistent. Don't watch this movie, seriously. It's a waste of your time and a complete insult to your intelligence.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I was so pissed and confused!
Don't be fooled by the beginning. The movie makes no sense. nothing adds up. just random characters and an unknown monster with no direct aim or objective!
9 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's not bad
j_walking151622 November 2019
I have no idea what the reviews calling it confusing are on about lol if anything this movie is too shallow and straight forward. It's a very basic premise with basic characters who are all really unlikeable. It constantly reminds you of what the plot is and it is just like the creepypasta it's based on, basic but "scary" Unfortunately, there isn't a single character I really cared about or could relate to. The movie did try and have a foundation of character development. Several scenes we're spent on just background building, just none of it was interesting, but they did try. The monster is gross and spooky and they did well with it, they even use practical effects over CGI which is a plus. The kills are gory and intense, several are unpleasant to watch. When the fear finally comes to its build up it does have a decent amount of tension and dread. The final act is horrific, loud, and brutal. It's really not bad and for being an indie production it stands above the others like it. It's just not particularly great either
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No one realizes this is based off a game before that creepypasta
coreyphillips-027782 October 2018
Why is everyone giving it so much s*** yeah no story line but try looking stuff up just like slender man the rake came from creepy pasta and just like slender man this was a game as well and the next time a monster comes around make sure to stop it and ask for his back story before it kills you sometimes the monster needs no backstory they are just very unlucky to run into something they do not know or would ever believe is real yes be not be the highest budget film but the charm is not knowing which has always been scary for people critics take it to far these days show this to people in the 50s they would be terrified and think it's a great film but honestly it's hard to please anyone these days you need to look further into a movie before drawing a conclusion and most people don't do that most things to consider the angles the art known as cinematography
11 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
ok then
natcalgary11 July 2018
Bafd movie no story line no conclusion. If it had even ok actors then i would have gave it a 4 but 3 is just for a couple cool death scenes
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ultimately Disappointing
olikirmar29 April 2020
The Rake starts off showing shakey writing, but as it develops, it starts to grab your attention. It's predictable and has a head-scratcher of an ending, but it's a harmless venture with some interesting characters and concepts.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Until Dawn
smokinalyssa300010 October 2019
From what this makes me feel like from the reviews, it sounds like Until Dawn. EXACTLY THE SAME! cause the monster was also a Wendigo in the middle of the woods in a cable with a somewhat crazy brother.
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Decent Execution
kyleallencole921 June 2019
This film was all over the place, but definitely has able to hold onto the eerie tone throughout the film. Some good and solid acting from the leads, but the film just didnt seem to make any sense. It was spooky, weird and strange but I think that's why I thought the film was pretty decent. Plus the lead also played Annie on 90210!!
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pretty Okay
masshysteria-093497 October 2019
For what it is, a low budget slasher film based on an internet urban legend, it could've been a lot worse. Honestly, it's good enough that I would watch it again if I was bored and it was all I had. All I can really say is it did better than certain "creepypasta" films. You know you're thinking what I'm thinking.
2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really?
kiyahnorwood30 June 2020
Whoever wrote this movie can go straight to h*ll. No context. Terrible acting. Like wtf?
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A watchable above average monster horror film
lxy-8404924 February 2021
The build up is good. The actors and actresses have good performance.

The downsize is once the horror things started to come, it went a bit fast and thats why the film is a bit short.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A bit muddled but still somewhat creepy movie
jmbovan-47-1601739 August 2020
This is an interesting folklore monster to base a film, and for that the movie has positive elements. The muddled plot of the script undoes some of this, leaving the eventual outcome somewhat dull given the lack of effective character development allowed by the script. Also, some of the rather flat and cringe inducing characters don't help with connection to the underlying horror of the general film concept. Too bad as there is something here that could have become a better indie horror film.
Good monster movie
rooney-sama20 July 2020
Not bad at all you can watch it with the kids for scare them ha ha ha
These Scars Are A Testament To My Transformation
wandernn1-81-68327426 May 2020
+1 Star for the Opening Hook. I liked it! No where to go but up, right????

-1 Star for over 2/3 of the way through the movie and still really not much of a clue as to what is going on. This could be because I'm dumb or because the movie is just not very well done. Either way that's minus a star.

-1 Star for The Ending. Really the movie ended and I failed to get an overall point.

But the 'story' or lack thereof held me to the end! Lots of gore and creepy moments made it watchable for me! But nothing to give it more than a subpar rating here.