NOS4A2 (TV Series 2019– ) Poster

(2019– )

Even out the 1 episode reviews
drunkalready4 June 2019
I'll be glad to update this after I get through the season but all these cheapskates that watched one episode and crapped on this show need to be put in their place...you can watch the whole season for 5 bucks and let me say it has been well worth the ride halfway through. The acting and writing picks itself up insanely well after laying a foundation in episode 1. Wait it out if you want and watch it over the next 10 weeks. 5 dollars more (the price of the cheapest movie ticket in my area) let's you binge this and to me its 100% worth it. Creepy and well written.
49 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I want to like it.
displaced3 June 2019
The premier just seemed to drag on as I waited for something, anything, worth watching to happen. I'm not sure which is worse, another angsty teen as a TV lead, or Quinto's "old man" character. I'll probably give it another shot and see where it goes from there.

The only part I truly enjoyed was some little Easter eggs on a map with Pennywise Circus, Lovecraft Keyhole, and Tree House of the Mind.
83 out of 123 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hooked
sublimeintentions5 June 2019
I did not read the book so did not go in with any expectations. I can see why someone would feel disappointed if they had read it as there's so much depth to the story and we only scratch the surface of the intimate details of the story. Which to me just means so much moreScope for further seasons. Personally if something can grab my attention it's good. and it definitely had my attention.
39 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why change 98% of the story?
Brian_G_Miller10 June 2019
Other than about five or six character names, the overall story and plot lines are completely different from Joe Hill's pleasantly epic novel. Manx is spot on, but all the others are way off. Yes, changes do need to be made from book to small screen in most cases. Fans of the book are probably like me after two episodes, asking ourselves: "Do I really want to stick with it or give up?"
47 out of 69 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolutely worth the watch.
Sage-Hyuuga4 June 2019
It starts out slow and weird but comes together in the end. The major pull for this show is the superb acting from the cast. The story is not as predictable as you would expect. The characters' personality and actions are not as typical as they first appear to be. N0S4A2 is a fun and entertaining horror series to watch and without a doubt one the best things to come out of 2019.
48 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The first episode is all questions...so far so good.
slg-560113 June 2019
All questions, but my biggest one is why does the mom and daughter look like the same age. In real life there is an 11 year difference in their age. They didn't do a good job with that particular casting, but other than that it's ok so far.
44 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If You're a fan of the book DO NOT WATCH!!!
llucasll4 June 2019
AMC's Nos4a2 is not bad, it's just different. Even the most pointless, yet important details from the book have been switched up, rearranged, and altered in funny ways that feel forced. The writers are definitely going for a younger audience. I got MTV Scream vibes a couple times throughout the episode. A lot of the character dialogue, especially between the high schoolers, is a bit cringy.

I'm not sure how to feel being a fan of the source material and all of Joe Hills work. I think I can sum it up best by saying this adaptation, through and through, is very different from what I imagined. If I wasn't such a fan of the book I wouldn't stick it out past the first episode. Very disappointed and Extremely underwhelmed.
50 out of 80 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Yikes dude. AMC has really lost the spark that made their originals exciting.
Bwent3 June 2019
Quitno as old man Manx is all cringe. Music is pretty bad, editing is clunky and amateurish. Dialogue is not quite trash, but it's certainly a long way from inspired. It's clear the showrunners had no idea what to do with this story. They just did what tv people do, turn 13-year-old characters into 17-year-old angsty dirtbike-riding whiners. And that's the real shame because it is a fantastic story. Oh well. If you're interested, pick up the book.
66 out of 110 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great book, awful series
speaktomenow4 June 2019
Note to Hollywood producers: If you buy a good book, just stick to the book. Is it that hard? One of Stephen King's finest series of novels ('Mr Mercedes') was utterly butchered for TV. Poor casting for almost every major character, dreadful additions of plot that weren't in the book and just a travesty given how good the books were.

Now, with King's son Joe Hill's superb novel NOS4A2, we see a similar treatment. A fantastic book, wrecked by TV producers. Where to even begin with this? For a horror it's a slow as a wet week. The awful 'rubber mask' makeup and over the top voice for Manx really set the tone for the lack of attention to detail across the board with this.

Given how strong young actors were in Stranger Things, this needed to remain true to the book and have a young lead. Instead we have an Aussie actress who is 26 years old, playing an 18 year old, and she's obviously way too old for even this role. The actress playing her mother is a mere 10 years older than her, and they look closer to sisters than mother and daughter. Oh and the mother's accent! Yikes!

But why did the producers feel any need to suddenly maker Vic an angsty teen? Crazy choice. Suddenly we're burdened with all this high school melodrama and the feisty young character is now a whiny teen, played by a woman who's closer to 30 than she is to a teenager. She's the wrong actress at the wrong age, in the wrong part with the wrong director, using the wrong accent. She was great in Puberty Blues, but she's just lost in this show, and to be fair they did not give her a lot to work with.

The pace just drags as we get endless family arguments and a tedious sub plot about how hard it is to get into college - I mean who cares?

I highly recommend the book, but this is total garbage. Avoid!

I note that Joe Hill wrote another fantastic book called The Fireman which is also now in production as a movie or series. I would be very worried if I was Joe, because like his father, Hollywood rarely ever gets novels right and his legacy might be 'writes good books, which make terrible TV'.
52 out of 87 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun to watch
sherrigee-4491118 June 2019
I read the book, but like any other book-to-big screen adaptation, I didn't expect it to be just like the book. NOS4A2 is my favorite horror story and Joe Hill is one of my all time favorite authors. The show is definitely different, but still extremely interesting. I highly recommend giving the show and the book a try.
16 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointing
josm1413 June 2019
I came into the show reading Stephen King said the show is the scariest stuff he has seen on TV. I'm 3 episodes down but I'm disappointed. It hasn't scared me one bit yet. N to be honest it's just a bit of a drag. One of the main reason being, I don't really care about the main character Vic or her teenage family problems. I just hope the rest of the episodes will step up and make up for the disappointment. The show has potential, but I don't see it yet. I will update later, once I finish all the episodes
11 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Well balanced, different perceptions... Worth the time
ahmedsimhan7 June 2019
Think this series deserves much better. It shows different perceptions of people lives & how it is effected while supernatural things occurs. Story line is nice. You can't compare these things to marvel comics which had 40yrs backed stories. If you watch just as a series it will make much sense. Of coz sometimes it gets slower but every character in this series is very nicely shown. Very much recommended
23 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Binge watching on AMC premiere!
poster-458163 June 2019
On episode 4 so far and I'm hooked. Love how it's building up the characters stories.
42 out of 71 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One cure for insomnia.....
s32761694 June 2019
What makes good horror work is its antithesis. There has to be light to off set the darkness.

Regrettably with NOS4A2 its wall to wall gloom. This series is set in the US version of Le Miserable's. Impoverished neighbourhoods, lost dreams, dysfunctional families.

Topping off all this misery is a creepy old weirdo who drives around in a vintage luxury car, abducting kids. If that sounds downright depressing and ugly, well in my view, that's because it is.

The series cause is made no better by painfully slow pacing, hinted at scares that amount to nothing and a general fug of uninspired mediocrity with a vaguely teenie angst thing, going on.

Suffice to say unless you are having trouble sleeping I'd suggest this is one to avoid. 4/10.
37 out of 62 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's Pretty Bad
musicnetwork-850334 June 2019
Terrible writing with badly acted plot-lines. Very mediocre series which could have been something special in the right hands.
46 out of 83 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hard to stay interested.
rrtiverton12 June 2019
I love Zachary Quinto, and he is aptly portraying the villain, bu I am just not all that into the subject matter. It is plotting along like any number of Stephen King novels. I'd like to be creeped out, but I am more... bored. I'll give it a few more episodes.
16 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What a waste of time
I watched the first 4 episodes with high hopes. With some shows you have to be patient and I thought that was the case with NOS4A2... I was wrong. This show gets worse every episode; By episode 6 finishing it was sort of a mission. An unpleasant one. The season finale is a mess, directing, editing, continuity is all over the place. How on Earth did Stephen King tell us this was "scary" or "good"? Why? 10 hours of my life I could've spent on something else. They tried, they failed.
11 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Could Be Better
zenwallace4 June 2019
This is one of the shows I was looking forward to watching this year. Also that it was written by one of the great horror writers of today. However it didn't meet my expectations. There were some scenes and episodes I enjoyed and there were others that were just meh.

The show didn't do justice to the content of the novel. Didn't care much for the suburban drama.

I wish there were more scenes highlighting Charlie Manx and the history of Christmasland.

Acting - wise, I've always enjoyed Zachary Quinto's work and it's nice to see him back as a villain. He did the best he could with the material he had.

Main lead was okay - there were times her character annoyed me and there were times she was alright.
12 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
give it a chance
suedorne5 June 2019
Wow. So many negative reviews here after only one episode. Yes - there were many changes from the book - but there always are with TV or movie adaptations. The SPIRIT of the story is still there. I like the character of Vic, and the murderous opening sequence with Danny and his mother and her boyfriend was truly horrifying. Quinto is intriguing as Mr. Manx. I read the book 6 years ago when it was first released and knew then that Joe Hill was a worthy successor to the King name. I will be an avid watcher. Give it a chance, all you nay-sayers.
21 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's nothing like the book
Mr_Coopies3243 June 2019
This book caught my eye when I saw Joe Hill's father, Stephen King's, review for it. I read it in a couple of days and it was fantastic. I was excited for this show but after watching the premiere, I have no interest in watching the rest. I can't really think of many shows or movies that veered from the books and had a great result. This show would have been a winner if it just followed the book. Great details and scenes were left out, there were a lot of major changes. The premier dragged on and did not have anything to show for it. Some of the acting seems low quality and cheesy as well. Not a great representation of a great book. So disappointing.
42 out of 78 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I tried to get it but 😴😴😴
evelove198014 June 2019
Snooze fest... Damn I had high hopes 😔😔😔 the book was good. AMC dropped the ball on this one. Hopefully they get a little more creative with season 2..if there's a season 2. Sorry I smell a cancel coming.
9 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Has potential
ngerrard-2244012 June 2019
The realisation of the potential has not been fulfilled yet. The plot is intriguing and there are some good acting performances. However there is a lot of silly scenes like the wraith running down Margaret and she purposely run towards open spaces and avoids hiding behind the dozen or so cars she walks past. There a few scenes like that just seem to be poorly thought out. The main protagonist Vik Mcqueen is also incredibly annoying as she just looks pouty and miserable at all times and her stupidity causes her further problems. That said the rest of the series is very good I just wish some scenes were thought out slightly better
9 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Clunky at best
teknixjack4 June 2019
I was really really looking forward to this show. I'm a bit disappointed to say the least. The acting is below par. The dialogue is clunky and holted. The acting is not great. The girl with the scrabble pieces is trying to act kooky but its coming off badly. The main character isnt much better. All in all a cheap show which doesnt look like its going to get better any time soon. Its a real shame because like I said I was so looking forward to this being a dark, edge on your seat twisted show.
23 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
too many plot holes and drama
ddrddr12 June 2019
First off as this is a review I would say that this show is worth watching but only if you have nothing else to watch. It is a shame that they made such a terrible job of adapting Joe Hill's brilliant story.

At times if you can get by the numerous inaccuracies the plot holes, the poor acting and copious amounts of drama then it is watchable but as I said only if there is nothing else on TV.

I also found the lesbian scenes shocking not because of anything graphic but because they were out of place and off kilter from the story line, indeed I can see no reason to have included these scenes. Only the producers know why they included these scenes.

The plot holes are hard to live with too and prevent the viewer from buying into the story.

But the worst thing about this show IMO is that the cast are unlikeable, indeed, i really could not care less about any of them.

The lead actress who is in her mid 20's plays a angsty teenager and it really does not fit or work. It looks ridiculous when she shares a scene with her screen mother, who is in reality around the same age as her.

Yeah the whole cast with the exception of Zachary Quinto are unlikeable - and he is supposed to be unlikable.

Another disappointing show that could have been fantastic
12 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another angsty teen played by a 20yo/1st episode-boring
kkimble-9875416 June 2019
Boring, blighted, abysmal, depressing First episode should catch and hold the audience not bore them
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.