Beach House (2018) Poster

(2018)

The Mysterious Stranger
lavatch9 September 2019
"Beach House" is a crisply written, low-budget film that tells a yarn about a young writer's imagination, as she prepares a novel. Emma is a college student spending time in a remote beach house with her parents who are visited by a mysterious stranger. The man named Paul is an old flame of her mother. The characters' interactions form the basis for shaping Emma's novel.

One clue to the filmmaker's idea for the film comes from the detail of Emma reading Theodor Fontaine's novel "Effi Briest." The novel has a loose connection with the story of "Beach House" with the lurid romance and the bohemian side of Berlin, which Emma plans to visit.

One problem with the film is the lack of clarity between what is occurring between Emma and Paul in their nocturnal visits and what proportion of the narrative is from Emma's imagination. How much of Paul's visitations is real, and how much is taking place in the mind of Emma the writer?

The acting was good in the small cast, especially the chemistry between the demure Emma and the wise-cracking, jovial, and lusty photographer Paul. With the strange circumstances of the fate of Paul as depicted in the film, Emma has to be wondering what might be the real-life consequences if she ever publishes her novel.
9 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dire from the island of dull mcdull!
omendata1 March 2019
I downloaded it as well glad I never paid to see it at the cinema.

Nothing much happens, boring, dull, insipid and bad acting. Avoid at all costs, even 5p as it is not worth it!
4 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Jason Saltiel directs
sjanders-864307 March 2021
Clasic thriller with privileged class: like 18th century English novels this story is of an upper class educated white girl. She wants to write but has has no experiences to write about. Then her mother's old friend comes to their beach house on the shores of Long Island in the Hamptons. He is a photographer of violence with an artistic take on it. Willa Fitzgerald is the lovely daughter who tells her mother he's dangerous; her mother disregards this and leaves the daughter alone with him. You cannot guess the rest. This film is great on every level. Orlagh Cassidy plays the mother. Hammon and Bennett play the stepfather and old friend. My only criticism is the murky night shots on the beach. I love English novels where upper class women get in and out of trouble; this is like that.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is slow...but not boring
apryla-5879510 January 2020
This won't be for everyone. I like quiet deep slow movies as long as they can hold my interest. You def have to be in the mood for these types of films though. If you aren't feeling in that kind of mood you'll most likely not appreciate the movie for what it is. As one reviewer stated "they were won over in the end" and I'd have to say that's true for me too. Really it's only in the last part of the movie that it kind of picks up the pace and becomes interesting but when it does it becomes worth the wait.

First off I loved the setting. I loved the house and the tranquilness of it. The music def set the mood. It matched perfectly with what you'd imagine an intellectual getaway beach house experience would be like-reading, relaxing, privacy, good healthy fresh food and a beautiful house tastefully and artfully furnished. You feel as if you are there with the characters. I love the beach and have always wanted to live on one. I could never quite picture how exactly I'd want my dream house to look like but after seeing this film if I did come into money I'd show the architects and builders this film and tell them to build an exact replica. It was perfect. So serene.

I am not familiar with any of the actors except for the daughter. I had seen her in another movie and I did not care for her character in that at all but in this one I really did like her character and I can definitely see now that she has a lot of range for an actress. She really caught the essence of a young college student coming into her own who is becoming aware of her sexuality and the power that can have over others. She did a great job portraying the naivety that young women can have when it comes to older men. They think they're intriguing and interesting and desirable when all the man is thinking about is how he can charm his way into taking advantage of them.

I really liked the step-father. I'm sure some might think he was boring and non-expressive but he really perfectly portrayed the well to do artist personality. He was quiet and introspective but wise, insightful and not as clueless as he first appeared. I'd like to see him in a series as a regular so I hope he keeps getting work. He has a lot of depth.

We aren't really shown or told beyond a shadow of a doubt that Paul killed Willa. It's strongly suggested and that is what most of us would infer AND if they had done forensic testing of his car I'm guessing they could have found stuff but since they were dating that could be easily explained. Also since he's a photographer with a penchant for violent disturbing photographs intended for shock value the argument could be made that even if her body had been in his trunk...it could've been staged for a photo shoot. Not sure what the daughter suspected would have held up in court. So...while he most likely did kill his girlfriend...there is the slight possibility that he was just playing into the daughter's thoughts and fantasies.

If you are getting tired of stupid movies with dumb dialogue with nothing but guns and violence or ridiculous situations that would never happen-give this a go. I'm still ruminating over it after it ended.

Oh and by the way to the reviewers who suggest that anyone giving this higher than a 3 are associated with the movie or haven't done any reviews before...I am not connected to the movie in any way and I think I'm getting close to about 300 reviews so...my review is legit.
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
mystery or not.
cdcrb29 June 2018
An uninvited guest , an isolated beach house and a curious young woman add up to mystery and intrigue. after initial doubts on my part, I was won over by the finale. stick with it
6 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beach House...the end.
whitemanfromtowne1 March 2019
I downloaded this film last night, and just finished watching it. Nice looking beach house, nice looking white people, incredibly nonsensical story....the end.
10 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Oh so very BAD.
ferdmalenfant28 February 2019
If you see a review of this film that rates it anything over a 3...they are a most likely part of the investors (production company) and they are desperate and probably feeling the hurt. This movie holds nothing... no action, no suspense, no music score and most of all no story line. A rich white girl at her "beach house" is bored...the end. Oh so very bad, in the original sense of the word BAD. Don't be fooled like I was. I would watch the weather channel from 2 years ago before I watch this again.
15 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beach House or Boring House?
nethy-nho19 August 2019
With desinteressante characters, the movie try to start with fake moments of thriller and tension, but fail miserably, the plot is so shallow, I can't understand what was the the point, just the freak romance? or the mistery around the artist? anyway nothing works and in the end you just think, really? In other words it's just a wast of time.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
slow, but not boring
alexzhivkov12 March 2020
I realize that it could have been faster, but they were building suspense. I enjoyed it. It felt slow at the beginning, and it picked up just in time.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
SO-SO MOVIE, KIND OF PREDICTABLE
srobertson-7510316 April 2020
I believe this movie was based on a book, so it only had so much to work with (and sometimes stories are fine in to read but just don't have enough substance for a movie.) I could tell exactly what was going to happen every step of the way...when the visitor comes to the house, the camera goes right over to the college age daughter to show her interest....you know something is going to happen between the two. Anyway, the movie is slow to unfold but it finally does toward the end. No real surprises. I think they were trying to draw a parallel between the Paul character and the daughter. They weren't so different after all. That's about all I walked away with.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
American movie who wanted to be an European movie. But wasn't.
contact-125-65114628 October 2019
Good idea, acceptable performances, boring development. I could have been better.
2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Slow movie with some appeal and a few holes
joshualeldred26 November 2020
This movie moves incredibly slow. If you need action or thrills you won't be happy. However there is some good acting, a decent setting, and a pretty young actress on the beach. No spoilers here but if you are like me you are going to spend the whole film asking "why would a middle aged women with a family invite a former fling who she has not seen in many years to drop in and live with them for a few days?" I guess I'm old fashioned, but it seems like her current man would object. Anyway, good acting made the film a decent watch.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointing
askarim4-913-2003886 February 2020
I expected more from this film claiming to be a psychological thriller however it fell flat in the first 1/3 of the film. I skipped it to get to the end. The characters seemed flat as well and the dialogue was rather dry
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mediocre at best
sebring-9262813 May 2021
The first thing we noticed, was the very loud sound of crickets while they were on their deck - mid-day. Crickets come out at night. Very poor research. Other than that, it's pretty slow moving.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It could have been good but it was boring
castletopdolls2 April 2019
The director could have made this a winner but it was boring, all I seen was the man staying with the family drank wine with the girl and they talked through the whole movie with other added boring scenes. the beach was pretty, my fav part ! I waited for something to happen, it almost got good but then dragged again, the only part that made me think it would get better was the last 20 min and then the end was even stupid !
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I want me 90 minutes back
usedcars8012 April 2021
If you enjoy watching paint dry or counting how many Cheerios come in a box, this film is for you! Ok you're 21 years old home alone isolated from neighbors and you don't leave lights on ? Your rich parents leave you alone in an isolated house in the Hamptons with no pepper spray, a taser, or an alarm system? On top of that some scenes are so dark I couldn't even see the actors after increasing the brightness on my tv to 100%.
Predictable and slow
cjwilkerson-6230824 April 2021
Not sure what's creepier; the artist, the Ken doll stepdad, or the cringey fan-girl.

Very slow paced movie which really doesn't have a point; other than inspiration comes in many forms?

The scene in the bedroom made me shudder it was so awkward.

Add terrible acting, and you have this movie.
Interesting film
michelle-esau11 September 2019
I found the film to be quite cinematic with good acting and an interesting story line.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
impressive debut!
quentindobbs23 June 2018
Engaging psychological thriller from a promising first-time director. great performances (especially from willa fitzgerald and murray bartlett), beautiful cinematography, and an interesting script taking on timeless themes from an unexpected point of view. i found this film particularly impressive given it was an ultra low budget feature which made the most of one setting and a tiny cast. check it out if you're a fan of vintage foreign films, polanski, or hitchcock.
10 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Plot is interesting, ending is unexpected
sautry-5444221 April 2021
I didn't hate it. I genuinely got the scary creep vibes from the man and felt Emma was on the ride path with her opinion of him. The acting wasn't awful and showing what your mind can convince you of is a very real thing. I liked that it wasn't so predictable.
Worst movie EVER!
redsoxjl29 May 2021
Can't give zero stars, but I wish I could! The writing, acting and story should be stabbed, wrapped in a fish net and sunk in the ocean with a 35lb kettle weight.
0 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Turned it off too slow
wyliecoyote-4648423 February 2020
Wasted 30 minutes of my life film boring actors lack lustre
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boring !!
cassdaoust15 April 2020
Very slow and boring movie ! Don't waste your time !
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.