12 Feet Deep (2017) Poster

(2017)

A pool phobics worst nightmare
Shelpa25 June 2017
1 glass of wine in and I decided to give this one a go. Before I go any further I have to admit that I suffer from a fear of underwater drains. Anything man made underwater actually.. drains, lights, windows.. they all give me the heebie jeebie's. I have been this way as long as I can remember and I can no longer swim in pools. Google it, it isn't just me.

I'm not sure why this movie is getting so much hate. I totally enjoyed it. For a movie that had to be carried by only 2 actors and had only one setting it was done really well. It was also a very original idea and that is always something that I am looking for. The acting was great and I thought that the characters acted exactly as they should.

I read all of the reviews before watching and I don't agree with any of them. This isn't the most awesome thing this year and it isn't the worst. If you are looking for a big budget, action packed movie this isn't for you. If you want a slow burn thriller then give it a go.
73 out of 89 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A slow burn thriller with real heart and emotion
artlifelover4826 June 2017
First off this movie is more of a dramatic thriller than a tension filled scare fest so if you have ADHD or need something exciting happening every 5 seconds than move on. I feel like people saw the name TOBIN BELL and are expecting a SAW ripoff. Second, I have a sister myself and the way the relationship unravels and develops between them felt honest and truthful. I won't lie I really cried at the cathartic moment between them in the end. If you're claustrophobic or get anxious in tight spaces I could see it dragging a bit but it felt like I was seriously holding my breath for the moments under water.

The story just worked for me on so many levels, I love how the Clara character wasn't just some one note evil-villain and you learned a bit about her past. Seems like she lost her own daughter at some point and had her own demons. The performance of the actress really helped me sympathize with her. The two girls were also multi-dimensional, going from bratty to frustrated and then defeated all in one scene. The near suicide had me in tears...

I'll be watching this again to pick up all the little moments I missed. Definitely worth a 7 or 8 in my book!

NOTE: And in case you do make it to the end, that was a glucagon pen and not insulin which apparently a ton of people missed.
43 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Simple yet entertaining thriller.
stephenw-3018020 June 2017
The story is set and shot entirely at a public pool. Two sisters, Joanna and Bree are swimming in the pool when, as it is closing, one sister has to dive back in to retrieve her lost Engagement ring. As she does this, the pool's manager looks, but does not see the girls as the second sister jumps in after the first to help her look for it. At this time, he closes the fiber glass top trapping them in for a long holiday weekend.

To make matters worse, there is a sadistic employee who is a parolee and gets caught trying to steal early in the film and gets fired. She is ordered to empty the waste baskets and finish out her day and not come back. The woman does come back hours after closing to discover the trapped girls but won't help.

There is a lot of underlying issues between the sisters, as well as the woman who not only will not help them escape, but taunts them as she is clearly scorned and injured herself.

I won't divulge anymore but will say I felt I gave this a generous 7 of 10 but feel it was mostly deserved. There is a lot of tension and frustration throughout and scenes that make you want to jump up and scream at the antagonist. Acting is well done and believable in a Simple setting.

A definite watch for any fan of light thrillers and time not wasted.
62 out of 89 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Simple but nice and fairly entertaining thriller
sweettops2 August 2017
A nice low-budget movie. Two girls get stuck under a pool cover over the holiday weekend and need to get out before they die from starvation. The movie is 81 minutes long, and while this may sound long for such a simple movie with 2 main characters and one setting, it is surprisingly entertaining with a lot of tension and I hardly ever felt the need to fast-forward. Also this is a very original idea for a story that while sounding a little bit ridiculous does catch your attention and make you want to watch.

A little bit into the movie a sadistic employee who was arrested in the past enters the place trying to steal things but notices the girls stuck under the cover. The girls try to get the employee to open it but she is more interested in the belongings they left outside the pool. Watching the three interact as the girls try to convince the employee to open the cover will put you through swings of tension, anger, and sadness. And the three main characters don't feel one-dimensional, you will actually care and show emotions towards each one.

It's a nice, fun little movie overall. It's a little bit slow at the beginning, there are a couple of flaws (you never know how long the girls stay in there, the water is supposed to get colder as the movie goes on but towards the end they suddenly don't notice it anymore), and the ending makes you wonder why it took so long to use that method to finally get out, but those are the only negatives and they don't harm the entertainment value too much. Would recommend.
9 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just another boring low budget film with nothing to offer
bayareamike20 June 2017
OK, so most of this film is shot under a pool cover at a public pool. Apparently, the pool guy forgot to check the pool before pressing the button that shuts the cover - trapping the main characters of the film under the cover.

The weight of the entire film is placed on the 2 lead actresses who by mistake are now stuck in the pool with the cover closed on a holiday weekend with no way to get out. Sounds like a film that could be good, right? Wrong. I don't see this costing more than $5k to make the entire film. I'm not against low budget films, but it has the feel like it could have been filmed by an amateur.

The entire film is claustrophobic, boring and drags on forever. It has the feel like it could have been shot in a couple days using one or two GoPro cameras at any neighbor pool... In any event, 90 minutes later the film offers very little but a predictable ending. Barely watchable...
41 out of 75 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Claustrophobic thriller in the vein of Buried or Frozen.
rickleo12323 June 2017
A very interesting and original little thriller. I definitely was pulled in by the acting and the tension. Was following the sister's journey and hoping they find a way out. It makes good use of the limited set, the pool and the small gap of air between the surface and the pool cover provide plenty of chilling close-ups of the women's failing faces as they come to grips with their surreal reality. Estranged already, we learn of a bitterness between them stemming from years of opposing paths begun by a tragedy in their youth that haunts them to this day The muted blue tones of the pool help keep some desperation and the dialogue, which is crucial since there is–by extension of the premise–nearly no action, is mostly compelling, though the entire setup edges a little too close to metaphorical.
28 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The janitor stuff ruined it
utgard1414 August 2017
A couple of sisters, one of which is extremely tough to like, get trapped in a covered swimming pool over a holiday weekend. While struggling to survive, they talk about all their clichéd issues (abusive father, drug addiction, petty jealousy, etc.). Then this bitch janitor with her own clichéd issues shows up and the whole film goes off the rails. I mean, I was into it for a little while because I'm a sucker for stories like this. That it was rife with clichés wasn't even killing it for me. But I guess they couldn't stretch that out for a feature film runtime so they added the janitor thing. Whatever they were going for with her character, they completely failed at it. She totally tanks the movie and it becomes less about surviving and more about beating this horrible woman the film mistakenly expects us to care about. And they don't even beat her, by the way. I won't say what happens but, if you're like me, you'll be screaming obscenities over the ending.
11 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Too many holes to ignore
tim-arnold77722 June 2017
I don't care if the film was based on a true story, there were just too many holes that made the story line implausible. First of all, why would an indoor olympic size swimming pool have an expensive mechanized plexiglas cover? A cover keeps dust dirt leaves and debris out of the pool to keep maintenance to a minimum. A cover also helps retain the temperature of a heated pool, by isolating the pool surface from cold evening air temperatures.Why would EITHER of those reasons apply to AN INDOOR POOL??

I worked briefly at a community rec center with a pool. Shutting down a facility like the one in this movie isn't as simple and turn-key as they show. The person charged with closing the facility would have at least 60 minutes worth of tasks before the place could be shut down and locked up. The movie made it look as though the man in charge walked out the door along with the last person leaving without doing a sweep of the facility AFTER lock down to make sure no stragglers or mischief makers remained hidden behind. Vehicles remaining in the pool parking would be a big red flag.

Most community pools I know of are run to take in revenue. They charge admission and sell concessions and make vending machines available at steeply elevated prices. No outside food or drink is allowed in. I can't buy the notion that a heated indoor community pool would be closed for a 3 day weekend. That is when they take in the most revenue. It's almost as though they had this story about some girls who got trapped underneath a mechanical pool cover, but didn't bother to do any homework about how community pools are run. No attempt to patch some of these gaping holes in logic and common sense.

In the end, the jailbird woman tries to punch in the code to free the trapped girls, but upon failing, she refuses to call cops because she's afraid she'll go back to the joint. But I guess being charged with murder is a non-issue. Please!

I made it to the end, which says it kept me interested. My only reason for not giving it one star. But as the credits rolled, it seemed as though the writers just ran out of ideas about how to close it up. Would never recommend this film to anyone unless they were in an iron lung with absolutely nothing else to do and were bored to the point of suicide.
29 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enjoyed it!
ivegonemod13 August 2017
I thought this movie was intense. I didn't find a second of it to be boring. This is just the kind of thriller I like when it comes to movies and books.

I can only hope that the janitor paid in some way for what she did. There was no excuse for her behavior. She could have at least given the girls the medication but she wouldn't even look in the purse.

This movie did not waste my time. I don't like when people leave reviews telling you not to waste your time on something, as though all people feel the same way they did about things.

I also don't like when people claim good reviews are fake just because they didn't like a movie and somebody else did. Do these people really believe theirs is the only opinion?
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Watchable (hardly), but definitely not worth the high score
avraham_tal22 June 2017
This was not a surprise to me, just by the name of the film and its cover page. Honestly, I don't understand why the high score.

This is a very banal thriller with absolutely nothing special. The ladies poor childhood does not compensate for the bad acting and superficiality of the story which resembles so many similar movies.

I had a very hard time watching it to the end. Maybe it is suitable for teenagers less than 14 years old.
22 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nerve Wracking and strongly acted drama
fighterman17521 July 2017
A real bundle of joy. Wasn't exactly having the best of days and happened to stumble across this film. I found myself glued to the screen right until the end. It's thought provoking entertaining nerve wrecking and everything a real thriller should have. I would say it's a surprise considering how I ended up watching this film but now I don't think that. I would watch this again and would encourage anybody to watch it. It will leave you asking questions throughout and then not wanting to move until it's over.
8 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Well crafted minimalist film making
hobbes_mark21 July 2017
Like most trapped thrillers it is all about what drama you can get with the barest of bones. In that sense, 12 FEET is solid, well crafted minimalist film making and a heart wrenching movie experience to boot. It is gripping, moving, frustrating, and if you're claustrophobic then it's terrifying too. Oh yeah, and it all takes place inside a swimming pool. Two sisters visit a public pool the eve before a long holiday weekend. One loses her engagement ring in the pool so both swim down for it. Unaware the sisters are still under the water, the manager closes the fiberglass covering, trapping the sisters underneath. The movie limits itself to an astounding extent, but makes the most out of what it has, creating an incredible experience. How much can you really expect from a movie that takes place in a pool with only two people? The story delivers a lot more than you would expect from this scenario. It has all the right elements to make it as enthralling with very little action or vfx. To start off, the director Eskandari does a great job directing his limited space. He miraculously pulls off a lot of great shots and brilliant claustrophobic nuances. He directs with enough skill to keep the movie interesting in its entirety. The story never felt lagged or drawn out and every moment where it would have slowed down it would throw a great twist or shocking character revelation that drew you right back in.

While the visual directing gives the film plenty of life, Alexandra Park and NJ No one's stalwart performances really drive the heavy emotions of the film. They deliver top notch performances, that carry the film's narrative and are both truthful and harrowing. I really felt for these two sisters.

This isn't a groundbreaking thriller but sometimes it is nice to witness how effective cinema can be with so little. During the finale you will want nothing more than to know the fate of these two sisters, and when you finally do learn it, it is unexpected but satisfying.
7 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A taut trapped Drama/thriller
plusonechecker17 July 2017
Two sisters swimming at a public indoor pool get trapped beneath the pool cover. Things get really bad for them fast as the place closes up for holidays.

I thought it seemed hokey to be stuck under a cover but a thick fiberglass sheet is a different story. One of the ladies is diabetic which ups the ante. Things get even worse when possible help turns around and extorts them. Similar to Extortion (2017).

An emotional roller-coaster for sure as we find out they were abused and they lost their father in a fire. So all these different elements are wearing them down slowly. It is one of those films you find yourself yelling at the screen for them to either do this or don't do that. Which you can either love or hate.

If you tune in for Tobin Bell his role is limited to telling people to get out and then he closes the pool cover. More of a fan winking cameo than anything.

Overall the flick is pretty good and you might even shed a tear or two.
7 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worst movie i've ever seen
ninaaggarwal1 August 2017
This movie infuriated me with how badly acted and how idiotic the characters were. They literally could've made it out right at the start but she only decides to actually do something at the end when her sister is dying. Such a bad story line. The elder sister suggested that they both move the grate to smash the pool cover but the younger one throws a tantrum and only gets out of her tantrum when her diabetic sister is drowning, then she decides that it's time to get the grate. Also, the older sister makes such a big deal about having to give her credit card pin to the psycho pool employee and contemplates being left in the pool to die rather than give it, but she only had like 70 dollars (or whatever the amount was) in her account.
9 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Gritty Intense Drama!
rbrb2 February 2018
Two sisters-with issues- get trapped in a swimming pool and are desperate to escape otherwise they will die.

The film is a tense, thoughtful drama showing that a brilliantly acted suspense movie is just as good and maybe better than many big budget pictures.

This movie is dramatic and intelligent examining through the play morality matters such as revenge, mortality and forgiveness ; it had me engrossed throughout, hence 7 and a half rounded up:

8/10.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Decent Horror/Thriller
vengeance203 August 2017
Saw a trailer for this last month on YouTube, it's one of those Films which is little known, but somehow a trailer pops up on your recommendations list. But yeah, seen a trailer for this & thought it looked good!

Though I'd have to say, my first fear was thinking it was going to be a boring Open Water/Blair Witch type film. Because for an 81 minutes, 2 sisters getting trapped in an Olympic sized swimming pool, under fiber glass cover, doesn't justify the run time. So that's what I thought. But there is "problems" thrown in, so it isn't like them films (spoiler alert).

After seeing this film, I'd say it was a pretty decent watch. It had some sinister moments in it & had a good twist of a story to it as well. I also found the film to be somewhat like saw in a way with the whole appreciate what you have sort of thing thrown in.

There is a little bit of blood & gore here & there, but not a lot. The film is mostly about the relationship of the sisters trapped under the pool cover, how they get out & trying to find a way to escape while the psycho b!tch janitor (who believe it or not has a criminal past which she can't seem to shake) torments the girls in exchange for cash & other valuables.

It was better than what I thought it would be, but it isn't entirely amazing, as in a pool, a contained area, there's not a lot of "problems" that could occur, in an ocean, definitely, but pool, nah. One of the sisters is diabetic, while the other has a date with her fiancé to be who has left her call after call. So yeah, there's that & a few of the other things that the b!tch janitor done to torment the sisters. So it does have some action in it to justify it's 81 minute run time.

I also have to mention that the "Based off True events" tagline was mostly true, with evidence provided from the Director/Writer that this incident & others have happen, as well as the concept in itself being off a fear the Director/Writer had with being stuck/trapped in open water! I liked the fact that Tobin Bell played a small role in this, despite him not being the main character, but it would've been an all too big cliché considering he's well known for the Saw Franchise! But a great cameo nonetheless among the little known cast.

Overall, it was a decent watch! A unique concept indeed & a great Horror & Thriller!
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"I'm going to lock you two in a room until you both learn to get along!"
mjjmolina2 October 2018
On the surface the movie has a simple plot. Two young women, sisters, are trapped inside of a pool, unable to leave while a thick fiberglass cover was put in place. However, the distressing situation turns heated when the two begin discussing their unresolved issues. Skeletons come out of the closet, teeth are bared, and hatchets are dug up for review! Before long though their predicament turns dire and a rogue third element is introduced which puts their love for each other to a test.

This is the epitome of a character driven story. It proves you don't need to have a large cast, expensive effects, or a heavy use of CGI to have a compelling story told. I found it to be wonderfully entertaining and well acted. I did lose a little interest about midway through, but this was likely because I had a hard time relating to any of the main characters, but towards the end I was firmly entrenched in seeing to their welfare.

Excellent job!
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good
marcelinofabouhaidar20 August 2018
Not a bad movie to watch considering that it's all inside a pool with 3 main characters. The ending was OK and the meaning of the story is thoughtful.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beautifully shot chamber drama
rubaied_mmb18 July 2017
I'm a sucker for these type of survivor thrillers, and 12 Feet Deep is a pretty good one about two sisters who find themselves trapped under the plexiglas cover of a large public swimming pool after its closed for a holiday weekend.

The sisterly duo is effective and well-acted and there's enough tension and suspense to last for the entire 85 minute running time. For what was surely a low budget production, the underwater cinematography and musical score are surprisingly evocative.

Worth a look for sure!
7 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very bad
anafazlija22 June 2017
I'm not gonna write an essay here. The plot sounds interesting, but everything else is bad, from scene angles (i don't know the right term), to movie script, all the way to very awkward acting beside first 7 min where's Tobin Bell who's presence just gives chill's and he's good at it. Actually the only reason i watched the movie is because i saw him on the movie trailer, and i was like goood the guy from S.a.w., saw him in few movies and thought this should be OK at least. He was out of the movie after a few scenes. For real the movie is bad, don't know why it has a score of 7.8. People gonna waste their time like me. Sincerely don't bother watching it.
18 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I watched this based on the 8.3 score. Mistake.
elisa_z21 June 2017
Im starting to really doubt IMDb's way of user scoring, I feel like the director of this low budget film got all of his friends to vote highly to get a good start.

How this film got a score of 8.3 ( as of 06, 20, 2017) is beyond me. I mean Inception scores 8.6, this film really is not that good. Why? mainly the acting, I mean I will give the director credit for filming something that doesn't look like a college students 1st film, and it is not his fault the girls in the film made such terrible decisions ( this is based on true events) but overall the film is poor.

Do not watch this film based on the score it has, I would expect it should score a 5, Im going to give it a 4. Expect the DVD in a bargain bin near you.
30 out of 79 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Type 1 diabetic thing ruined everything
gemmabunce-520954 November 2017
OK so not only pointing this out as a type 1 diabetic myself but if you are going to do a movie make sure you research the disease first. An insulin injection wouldn't save her at the end it would kill her if she was low, for the people that would say but it was a glucagon needle um no they are a syringe and bright orange case and container and have to be left in a fridge and no diabetic carries that with them they keep it with them at home in case of a fit at night, carry Jelly beans or juice or something. I have the same pen they used that supposedly was to save her from going so low she was going into a coma, it's a novorapid insulin it does the opposite. also her symptoms of being low would have been worse than that and she would have at least had a fit and started hallucinating if it was that bad. Anyway stopping my rant but that really ruined the whole film other than the stupid things they could have done from the beginning to escape, also she cut open her hand at the end trying to squeeze her hand through the tiny whole she created with the drain lid, pointless keep hitting it maybe once or twice over and an easy climb out.
Unexpected gem
f-917901 November 2017
I loved this movie. It was one of the most dramatic films I have ever watched. When I first saw the premise "trapped in a swimming pool" I thought wow, really how they can fit a 1and a half hour film in a location like that, without even any sharks. I thought it would be another disappointing survival film, but boy, was I wrong. I was pleasantly surprised by this film due to most of the thrillers being shot in the water a disappointment.

But this film was chilling to the bone. And it does without any sharks or crocodiles and without almost no gore. The two actresses were brilliant, their acting was top notch. I felt their pain, frustration and agony throughout the whole film. The last scene was absolutely brilliant where the younger sisters uses all her strength to get the grate loose from the drain. The music was top notch to give value to that scene and the strength she used.

I can see how some users got irritated by their bickering in the beginning. But think, what would you expect in a situation like this where they have both been through so much and are meeting up after a while. Clearly there were a lot of underlying issues between the sisters that came to surface. But it gradually got to the point where they became very close sisters, and you saw how this experience really bonded them as sisters. It's not like they argued the whole film and came out hating each other. Their relationship was one of the key themes of this movie, and how their relationship transformed was inspiring

Now of course this is not your typical big budget action packed shark movie, but I loved this film from beginning to end. It has great message regarding strength, never giving up and the power of sisterhood. And they both made it out alive in the end which was a testament of their strength.

The villain is also interesting because she's not your typical villain who has no heart or compassion. She also develops as a character and we can see she's had her own fair of issues as much as the other 2 characters.

Overall, a great film, a must see for any survival thrillers. In all the survival thrillers I have watched, I have never seen such will and determination from the characters. It just goes you don't need a shark or a croc to make a movie as great as this. I was very surprised that something as basic as this could be this good.
Great movie
kellyg-6997012 August 2017
Thought this was a great movie. Had me on the edge of my seat, one of the better lifetime movies. Yes I did shed a tear or two. It did scare me a little. I thought the acting was fantastic. I hope no one ever has to go through this. If you are a lifetime fan you should see this. Each character is dynamic in their own way. Truly shows the strength we all have inside, as well as redemption.
Not "47 Meters Down" But Entertaining Nonetheless
rapid_randy22 June 2017
There are thousands of votes averaging currently at 8, so I'm going to assume some may have mistaken this for "47 Meters Down", because it doesn't quite pack the same punch. That doesn't make it not worth watching though.

Inspired by true events, two sisters become trapped under the fiberglass cover of an Olympic sized public pool during a rushed closing for the holidays. The movie takes place completely in and around the pool area but it's engaging throughout.

What we have here is a pretty original idea for a Drama/Thriller but the script and logic is on the simpler side. With only a few minor changes, you'd have a great movie here for what it is.

Note: Jigsaw from the Saw series plays a small but entertaining role.
12 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.