Annabelle: Creation (2017) Poster

Annabelle's next chapter
TheLittleSongbird15 October 2018
Have an appreciation for horror and there are a fair share of good to classic ones in the genre as well as a fair share of not so good and even downright bad ones. Really liked both 'The Conjuring' films so watched 'Annabelle', which was inevitably compared to them a lot, and found myself disappointingly not caring all that much for it (while not detesting it).

Saw 'Annabelle: Creation' after hearing that it was a much better film and also that it looked quite good. After seeing it, it is agreed that it is a far superior film to 'Annabelle' in most areas. There are still faults here and major ones and it's not my definition of great, but whereas 'Annabelle' was lacklustre this just scraped above average and what 'Annabelle' didn't do well in this does much better. It has clearly not worked for some and that is understandable.

'Annabelle: Creation' as aforementioned has issues. The dialogue is still very awkward-sounding and banal, doing little with developing rather clichéd characters, and while the familiarity of the story didn't bother me actually (although there are certainly predictable moments, and a little over-simplicity going on) the ridiculousness and illogic of the final third was less forgivable.

Likewise with the ending, that was as rushed and anti-climactic as that for 'Annabelle'. Stephanie Sigman overacts a bit too.

However, 'Annabelle: Creation' is a good looking film, with a great Gothic atmosphere, lush and darkly atmospheric production design and stylish photography. The supernatural effects are surprisingly excellent too. The music is haunting and the direction brings a genuine eeriness and mysteriousness, as well as much more momentum and ease, that was not there in 'Annabelle'.

Where 'Annabelle: Creation' is vastly superior in too is that it is scarier and more interesting. There may not be an awful lot novel, but there are some nice jolty shocks, the odd unsettling surprise and some genuine suspense and dread on particularly a psychological level. There is far more momentum here and the pace is tighter. The story intrigues, while the characters may not be the best developed but they at least have personality and easier to get behind. The acting is much better here too, with the standout performances coming from Talitha Bateman and Lulu Wilson (both terrific).

Overall, not great but a decent improvement. 6/10 Bethany Cox
A Step Up From the First Film
Michael_Elliott5 November 2017
Annabelle: Creation (2017)

** 1/2 (out of 4)

Twelve years after the tragic death of his daughter, Samuel Mullins (Anthony Lapaglia) allows his home to be used by a nun and several orphan girls. The kind gesture soon turns dark when one of the children finds a doll named Annabelle.

I must be honest and admit that I really wasn't looking forward to ANNABELLE: CREATION because I found the first film in the series to be incredibly bad. With that said, I was shocked to see how much better this prequel was and a lot of the credit must go to director David F. Sandberg. He has basically turned in an extremely well-made horror picture with a lot of great performances but at the same time there was one major issue for me and that was the fact that the film wasn't scary.

I might be in the minority here because my wife watched this with me and she was scared to death but, then again, she's scared by anything. For me I thought the film really lost its way after the hour mark when the demon showed up. The story just became a bit too far-fetched for me and instead of atmosphere we got a bunch of jump scares that just never worked. The CGI demons and creatures just weren't scary and they also took away from the atmosphere that the director had built up.

Outside of the lack of scares the movie was extremely well-made. I loved the old time setting and the house out in the middle of nowhere was just perfect for this type of film. I was also really impressed with all of the performances including LaPaglia. The performances certainly helped make you believe all of the characters and there was some nice development thrown in as well. Technically, the film was very good to look at as well.

ANNABELLE: CREATION ran a bit too long and especially with the lack of scares but it's certainly much better than the first picture and it's worth watching.
Why bother?
Leofwine_draca11 September 2019
ANNABELLE: CREATION is another mindlessly derivative spin-off from THE CONJURING, this time a prequel to a pre-existing spin-off about a creepy doll. Got that? Watching this, it quickly becomes apparent that creativity is in short supply here, because everything is telegraphed well in advance and there's not a single surprise from beginning to end. We get a children's home setting, Miranda Otto in little more than an extended cameo, and endlessly repetitive jump scares in which the soundtrack goes quiet for a few minutes before the viewer is made to jump with a loud bang. When this happens for the tenth time, your patience will have long since evaporated.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
solid horror moves
SnoopyStyle24 September 2017
The Mullins (Anthony LaPaglia, Miranda Otto) suffer a tragedy when the daughter Bee is hit by a passing car. Twelve years later, they open their home to abandoned girls. Janice is handicap and Linda is her best friend. There are four other girls and Sister Charlotte. Their world is turned upside down after Janice finds the doll Annabelle locked in the closet.

This is a nicely made horror movie. It has nice set pieces and individual scenes. The doll and the entity serve as nice horror villains. Whether I like or love this depends on the girls. The young actresses are fine but the characters need more individuality to stand out. Janice and Linda are the main lead. While they have more screen time, they should be given even more. One of them should be in every scene. The horrors are too scattered among the girls. It would be more horrifying if Janice and Linda suffered while the others disbelieve. That should hold out as long as possible. The other girls lack individuality which make them too much like cannon fodder. I do grow to care for the girls but it should happen sooner. Overall, it's better most horrors and it's well executed.
the beginning
Kirpianuscus8 November 2018
It could be an explanation for the serie. Or only piece of the chaine. For the first status, it is just a decent exploration of the source of evil, without be spectacular and surprising. For the second, it gives the same recipe and ingredients. And it seems the right film for the fans of genre o r serie. The only sin - the bizarre final part who seems build in run.
The Origin of Annabelle
claudio_carvalho13 October 2017
The manufacturer of doll Samuel Mullins (Anthony LaPaglia) is a happy family man with his wife Esther (Miranda Otto) and their daughter Bee (Samara Lee), who dies hit by a car. Twelve years later, Samuel welcomes a group of orphan girls and a nun from a closed orphanage at home. He tells that only a closed room (that belonged to Bee) and Esther's room would be off limits for the girls. The crippled girl Janice (Talitha Bateman) sneaks in Bee's room during the night and sees a doll inside a closet. She plays in the room and soon she is haunted by an evil force. What has Janice unleashed in Bee's room?

"Annabelle: Creation" tells the story of the origin of Annabelle. The flawless screenplay is well-written; there is explanation for everything; and the viewers startle in many scenes. The girl Talitha Bateman has great performances in the roles of Janice and Annabelle. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "Annabelle 2: A Criação do Mal" ("Annabelle 2: The Creation of the Evil")
11 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You are my sunshine
nogodnomasters27 August 2017
Samuel Mullins (Anthony LaPaglia) is a doll maker who has made a limited edition Annabelle doll. The film then jumps to 12 years later after the death of his daughter (Samara Lee) as he and his wife (Miranda Otto) agree to share their home with a Catholic orphanage which includes a half dozen girls.

The film then centers on Janice (Talitha Eliana Bateman) a polio victim and her best friend Linda (Lulu Wilson). There are 2 mysteries that intrigue the girls. 1) Why Mrs. Mullins stays bed ridden in her room and doesn't allow people to see her. and 2) Why is the deceased daughter's room is locked and no one can enter it? This is another creepy doll story with the expected scares. Acting was very good for a horror film. I have to question a nun hearing a confession and prescribing penance. Didn't know they were allowed to do that. What I didn't like about film was the very end. I think they should have cut the last couple of minutes and leave it with the new parents meeting their daughter.

Good film for a sleep over. No swearing, sex, or nudity. Little girls screaming. Minimal blood.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Creating again
kosmasp20 October 2017
While it was obvious, I never even thought about this before it was said out aloud at Frightfest. Yes there is the Marvel Universe and the DC Universe, but there is also the ... Conjuring-verse! And it seems that universe will get another spin-off, but more on that later. First this second entry to Annabelle.

And if you saw the first one, you have every right to be skeptical. I gave it a 6, but I clearly could've gone lower. I'm known to not rate too low, even on movies I don't like that much, considering actors, script, budget, previous entries, other movies of that sort and so forth. In this case, I don't have to consider, because it does reach the quality Conjuring set as standard! So saying this is better than the first Annabelle would be an understatement.

The origin story of the doll, that quite frankly is eerie at least and scary at best (and not nearly as funny as Chucky, for good reasons), is laid out in front of us. And as some other good horror movies, this works as a Dramas as well. But again, emphasis is on the Horror aspect. And there is also emphasis on scenes after the credits roll ... one in-between and one after the credits are done ... Can you see what's coming next? Excited much? ... or rather: Afraid?
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's pretty good, it's just all been done to death.
Sleepin_Dragon29 August 2019
I'm not sure if you're like me, where every new horror feels as if someone is flogging a dead horse, but that's exactly how I felt about Annabelle Creation. Here we go again, it's a prequel to the original. That doll is dug out, sat stationary, and all manner of nasty events happen.

It's a very nicely made film, it's very well acted by the largely young cast, it's a good, if sad story, and there are a few decent scares. The trouble is, those scares have been done so many times, even, dare I say it throughout the franchise.

It lacked the interesting side story that was present throughout the Conjuring films. As I say it's a good movie, but come on, give us something other then doll scares girl.
34 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"We shouldn't be in here."
classicsoncall9 June 2021
I watched this movie out of order, having seen "Annabelle Comes Home" before catching this prequel origin story of Annabelle. As far as the genre goes, 2014's "Annabelle" was not a genre defining movie, in fact it seemed rather clichéd for the most part, though it had some scary moments that make you jump. With "Annabelle Comes Home" you had a number of creepy build-ups that didn't really amount to all that much, and waiting for a jump scare turned out to be a meaningless exercise. So it turns out that for this viewer, "Annabelle: Creation" comes off as the best of the bunch, but again, much of it has been done before and it doesn't have the suspense you might expect in a horror film. The biggest shock actually had nothing to do with the horror elements of the picture, but that opening scene when the little girl Bee (Samara Lee), wanting to retrieve a minor object her father dropped, got hit by a passing motorist and met her death. That was so terrifying because it was so possible to occur for real to the horror of a young child's parents. I couldn't quite follow the idea of Bee's spirit moving into the Annabelle doll followed in turn by a demonic presence entering the young crippled girl Janice (Talitha Eliana Bateman), but it's not important enough for me to go back to try and figure it out. Just know that with the 'Annabelle' films tying into the 'Conjuring' universe, this franchise has the potential to go on for a long time.
Annabelle: Creation
jboothmillard31 May 2021
The first Annabelle movie, a spin-off in the Conjuring Universe, was disappointing, I didn't have my hopes high for this follow-up, or rather prequel which sees the origin of the doll, but I gave it a chance, directed by David F. Sandberg (Lights Out). Basically, dollmaker Samuel Mullins (Anthony LaPaglia) and his wife Esther (Miranda Otto) are devastated when their seven-year-old daughter Annabelle, nicknamed "Bee" (Samara Lee), is killed when she accidentally steps in front of a car. Twelve years later, in 1955, the Mullins open their home to provide shelter for Sister Charlotte (Stephanie Sigman) and six girls left homeless after their orphanage is closed. The children are warned not to enter Bee's locked bedroom, but young orphan Janice (Talitha Eliana Bateman), disabled by polio, sneaks into the room after it is mysteriously unlocked. She finds a key for Bee's closet and opens it, where she finds an eerie porcelain doll. This unwittingly releases a powerful demon that begins to terrorise the girls. One night, the demon appears to Janice, taking Bee's form, saying it wants her soul. She tries to get away on a stairlift, but the demon hurls her violently down to the ground floor, injuring and confining her to a wheelchair. Janice's best friend Linda (Lulu Wilson) is tormented by the demon. Next, the demon poses as Sister Charlotte, wheels Janice into the old bar, and, appearing as Bee again, possesses her vomiting black bile into Janice's mouth. Linda notices Janice's behaviour changing and tells Samuel that Janice snuck into Bee's room and found the doll. Janice, now able to walk, transforms into the demon and brutally kills Samuel. Linda takes the doll and throws it into the well. A strange noise comes from the well and she is almost dragged into it, but Sister Charlotte saves her. Alarmed, Sister Charlotte talks to the disfigured Esther, who stays in her bedroom. Esther explains that following Bee's death, they prayed to an entity to let them see their daughter again. An unknown entity answered their prayer and, after seeing Bee's spirit, it convinced them to transfer its essence into one of Samuel's crafted dolls. It is only later they realise that they had attracted a demon looking for a human host. One night, Esther saw Bee's spirit transforming into the demon, which then gouged out her eye. Enlisting the help of priests to bless the house, they locked the doll in Bee's closet. Esther and Samuel opened their house as a shelter to repent for their actions, but Esther now regrets it as the demon has an opportunity to take a human host. The demon murders Esther and attacks Sister Charlotte. The orphans leave the house, but Linda is trapped and hides in Bee's room while the possessed Janice tries to kill her. Sister Charlotte locks Janice and the doll inside the closet. The next day, police arrive to search the house, only finding the doll, which is removed as evidence. Sister Charlotte, Linda, and the orphans are taken away by officers, while Janice escapes through a hole in the closet wall and heads to an orphanage in Santa Monica. Still possessed, she becomes reclusive and calls herself Annabelle. The Higgins family soon adopt Annabelle. Twelve years later, a grown-up Annabelle joins a Satanic cult and, along with her boyfriend, murders her adoptive parents, catching the attention of next-door neighbours the Forms, Mia (Annabelle Wallis) and John (Ward). Also starring Grace Fulton as Carol, Philippa Coulthard as Nancy, Tayler Buck as Kate, Lou Lou Safran as Tierney, Brad Greenquist as Victor Palmeri, Mark Bramhall as Father Massey, Joseph Bishara as Annabelle Demon, and Bonnie Aaron as Demon Nun. The cast are fine, with young Bateman standing out, the story is alright, it does rely on a lot of jump scares, a few that you can see coming, but the special effects, the many appearances of the evil doll, and a continued eerie atmosphere keep the pace up, a reasonable supernatural horror. Worth watching!
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another dull doll horror movie.
BA_Harrison16 February 2018
The Conjuring, of which Annabelle: Creation is a spin-off, was an unexceptional supernatural horror that shamelessly mined the many clichés of the genre in a desperate search for frights. Likewise, this 'origins' flick is a collection of well-worn scary movie tropes that is unlikely to impress seasoned horror fans. I've lost count of how many creepy doll movies I've seen over the years, and this one does very little new with the idea.

Annabelle is the name given to the fugly doll which acts as a conduit for a nasty demon that causes trouble for a group of nuns and girls who come to live in a farmhouse orphanage. It's a generic, lazy story full of gaping plot holes, lapses in logic and glaring inconsistencies, told with little flair or originality by director David F. Sandberg, who helmed the marginally better Lights Out.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
We find out where the possessed doll Annabelle come from, how she is created.
TxMike25 December 2017
I watched this at home on BluRay from my public library. I wouldn't normally see this type of movie but being BluRay I knew the picture and sound would be top-notch.

From what I can gather without much study is there was some interest in depicting the backstory for the possessed doll, Annabelle, who is in other horror movies, so this one if more of a prequel.

Anthony LaPaglia is dollmaker Samuel Mullins, he and his wife had lost their own daughter some years earlier but had preserved her room and the doll in the closet. Now they were allowing a nun and a small group of orphans to move in and live there. Strict orders were given to stay out of their daughter's locked room.

Of course kids will be kids and one characteristic is they never do what they are supposed to do. And in this case it involves going into the forbidden areas and activation Annabelle.

Not really my kind of movie but for what it is I enjoyed it.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Predictable and not scary at all...
paul_haakonsen12 June 2018
Alright, well first of all I can't claim to be much of a fan of the Annabelle doll, as I find it rather dull and not scary at all.

And true to my assumptions, then "Annabelle: Creation", turned out to be not scary at all. But hey, didn't we all see that coming?

It was sort of a very anti-climatic atmosphere to the entire movie, which took away any chance of building up a horror atmosphere. The entire storyline, however, was just so horribly predictable that it was laughable.

"Annabelle: Creation", however, does have some good enough acting performances and good cast

The CGI and special effects in the movie were good, and that at least counted in favor of the movie.
Much better than expected
BandSAboutMovies22 October 2017
Do we need a fourth installment in The Conjuring film series? More to the point, do we need another origin story for the evil doll, Annabelle, after 2014's Annabelle? And can directed David F. Sandberg, whose Lights Out showed such promise only to ultimately be a failure, helm a feature that's true to the quality James Wan brought to the original films? And finally, just how much should you expect from a prequel to the sequel to a spin-off?

Turns out that I was pleasantly surprised by this film. I honestly expected nothing, given how much disdain I had for Lights Out, a film that made me want to leave the theater from its opening story beats. Instead, Annabelle: Creation takes plenty of time building its roller coaster structure, introducing us to Sister Charlotte and her pack of orphaned girls. They come to the farm of Samuel (Anthony LaPaglia, Empire Records) and Esther Mullins with nowhere else to go.

We gradually get the backstory of how the Mullins tragically lost their daughter, Annabelle, and are trying to atone for some past sins by allowing the girls access to their home. At the films heart is the relationship between Linda (Lulu Wilson, Deliver Us from Evil and Ouija: Origin of Evil) and polio sufferer Janice (Talitha Bateman, the older sister of Lights Out star Gabriel Bateman).

Sandberg claims that he was influenced by The Haunting and The Shining for this film, dropping the meticulous planning and storyboards that had been such a part of his style. I can point to several other prime influences — the dumb waiter scare at the end references the basement elevator sequence in Halloween II, the hiding in the closet has the primal feel of the original Halloween and the gory treatment of Mrs. Mullins near the end looks like the crucified Schweick of Fulci's The Beyond (one could also argue that her ceramic adorned visage at once references the Annabelle doll features and 2016's The Boy). I also saw a similarity to the glowing, possessed eyes of Janice with Canadian Exorcist ripoff Cathy's Curse (look, we could just say the film ripped off The Exorcist, too, but the image of Cathy on the cover of Severin's recent Blu-Ray release is more fresh in my brain).

Read more at https://bandsaboutmovies.com/2017/08/12/annabelle-creation-2017/
Hauntingly scary
Gordon-1120 September 2020
The images are haunting, and there are loads of scary scenes. I find this film pretty scary!
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
She is not going to share her home.
michaelRokeefe6 January 2018
After years of the loss of a daughter, a doll maker, Samuel Mullens (Anthony LaPaglia), and his wife make the decision to take in a nun and a few young girls when an orphanage is shut down.

Upon some curious snooping, a creepy doll is discovered in a closet and she is not shy about letting it be known that she doesn't like sharing her home with interlopers. Mr. Mullens and his wife Esther (Miranda Otto) begin acting peculiar and it doesn't take long for your breathing to become irregular and your heart to begin racing. The young girls become frightened as they realize how important this doll named Annabelle is to the Mullens.

If you want something a bit spooky and terrifying...you've found it. Interesting cast includes: Talitha Bateman, Philippa Coulthard, Lu Lu Wilson, Grace Fulton, Stephanie Sigman and Lou Lou Safran. I personally was drawn to the young Miss Wilson.

Nothing wrong with enjoying being scared.
Conduit Demon: Take 27!
hitchcockthelegend10 December 2017
OK! It may not be 27 films in the latest conduit demon phase of horror film making, but it sure as hell feels like it! Annabelle: Creation would have been a very good horror film if it had come out 10 years ago, as it is we find ourselves treading familiar ground and relying on the usual horror film making playbook for our thrills.

Anyone such as myself who is bothered by pediophobia, automatonphobia and pupaphobia will surely be chilled to the bone here, for the makers push it to the max, with fine results. However, once that aspect is stripped away and the sound and visual horror staples grow tired, we are left hankering for a glorious final quarter of film to terrify us - which sadly doesn't materialise as we then get conduit demon 101.

In the pluses column there's a superb tie-in to the real Annabelle doll, an adherence to story as fact shrewdly inserted, and the acting (with young Lulu Wilson bright again as she wanders in from Ouija: Origin of Evil) is more than adequate. Sound mix rocks, as does the photographic shadows and shimmers, rendering the production technically good. If only the writers had been a bit more bolder and imaginative...

Much better than Annabelle (2014) (which isn't hard really), "Creation" is above average fare for casual horror fans with the fears previously stated. Hard core horror nuts, however, are likely to be very jaded come the end credits rolling. 6.5/10
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Many folks have questioned Warner Bros.' constant warnings . . .
oscaralbert29 August 2017
. . . that the Demonic Influences pervading Today's American Society MUST be dealt with through the appropriate firmness ordered by our Holy Bible for Satan's Spawn, regardless of age, race, gender, class, sexual orientation, or religion (feigned or otherwise). Jesus Himself famously drove a herd of innocent pigs to their Terrible Deaths by Drowning, simply because Lucifer has possessed someone with a Multiple Legion of Imps, and when the swine flew it was good riddance to all. Similarly, Warner Bros. shows the dire consequences of NOT oak-staking the youngest Demon directly through their heart at the first sign of Hellish Goings On. Jan escapes the Net of Propriety, and is soon seen as the restyled Evil Annabelle, slicing the throats of her adoptive parents. Warner has proved time and again that Red Commie KGB Chief Vlad "The Mad Russian" Putin has installed a Sleeper Cell of MANCHURIAN CANDIDATES into our Once-Hallowed White House, led by one-time teenage Reform School Recruit turned Top Money Launderer for the Russkie Oligarchs: Don Juan Rump, himself. Therefore, Warner is releasing ANNABELLE: CREATION to spell out to We Loyal Patriotic Normal Average True Blue 99 Per Center Progressive Union Label Citizens that ALL of Putin's enabling Fifth Columnist Quisling Fellow Travelers--whether hunkering down in one of the so-called Red States infested with Military Assault Rifle-toting Racist Confederate Fascist Nazis or sprinkled among us in a Truly American Region--MUST be deported ASAP, along with Granny and the Baby--to Antarctica's Larsen Ice Shelf B for a Seven-Generation Cooling Off Period!
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Terrible and a waste of your time.
george.schmidt16 September 2017
ANNABELLE : CREATION (2017) * Anthony LaPaglia, Samara Lee, Miranda Otto, Talitha Eliana Bateman, Stephanie Sigman, Lulu Wilson, Grace Fulton, Philippa Coulthard, Tayler Buck, Lou Lou Safran. Lackluster sequel to the sequel of the origin story of the titular possessed doll haunting a passel of orphan girls overseen by a Catholic nun (Sigman) bordering with a couple (La Paglia and Otto who both deserve better) whose deceased child ….is the ghostly demon who has taken over…the doll…yeah. So dull and predictable that Gary Dauberman's script telegraphs every sequence far in advance to anyone who has seen a horror film and the wan direction by David F. Sandberg employs every clichéd genre trope. Terrible and a waste of your time.
6 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So-so
neil-4768 May 2018
Doll-maker Samuel Mullins and his wife lose their daughter Annabelle ("Bee") when she is hit by a car. 12 years later, they take in 6 orphan girls and their young supervisory nun when their orphanage closes. Polio victim Janice experiences strange occurrences at night, and it gradually transpires that something unspeakable may have happened to Bee after her death. If you're going to make a doll, why on earth would you make it so that it looks as creepy as possible? Because the one thing you can be sure of is that if a doll looks creepy, it IS creepy.

I liked the main location here - one of those hot, arid farms where all they seem to farm is dust. And it was good to see Anthony LaPaglia and Miranda Otto playing parts which are a little off the beaten track for them. The youngsters are all fairly good, and the story meanders nicely on its way to setting up the events in Annabelle, itself a prequel to The Conjuring (which was not a prequel despite being followed by a sequel, The Conjuring 2). The destination is no surprise, but there is some interest in the view during the journey.

It is, however, not even slightly horrific. There are sufficient loud noises etc. to make you jump fairly frequently, but that tends to be solely the result of a sudden assault on the senses, not because of anything inherently scary. Other than a creepy doll.
Annabelle: Creation review
JoeytheBrit6 May 2020
Although a prequel to John R. Leonetti's mediocre 2014 flick Annabelle (which was itself a spin-off from the Conjuring franchise) sounds like a speculative money-grabber, David F. Sandberg's origin tale is actually an improvement on its predecessor. A strong, ominous atmosphere eventually succumbs to the usual jump-scares, and much of the story follows no real logic, but committed performances from its young cast help to paper over the cracks.
Creation Of The Origin Of Evil
AaronCapenBanner4 September 2018
Prequel to a prequel(!) tells the previously unknown backstory of how the doll Annabelle was created, which it turns out was by a man named Samuel Mullins(Anthony LaPaglia) who has a wife Esther(Miranda Otto) and a young daughter named Bee who is tragically killed by a car, driving both the parents into making a desperate, foolish action to make contact with their dead daughter that will lead to devastating consequences(especially for a nun and six orphans staying at their home) that will go on to haunt many lives for decades...

Disappointing entry in this growing franchise has some effective scares but also many slow spots and lulls, with a contrived, unconvincing story that didn't really need to be told, when all is said and done, though it does nicely dovetail into the first "Annabelle", still a superior film.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Forgive me father, I am about to sin.......
FlashCallahan20 August 2017
Former toy maker Sam Mullins and his wife, Esther, welcome a nun and six orphaned girls into their California farmhouse.

Years earlier, the couple's 7-year-old daughter Annabelle died in a tragic car accident.

Terror soon strikes when one child sneaks into a forbidden room and finds a seemingly innocent doll that appears to have a life of its own, and a really ugly face.

No wonder he's given up toy making.............

When you can get past the fact that the titular doll is probably the most sinister looking doll in cinematic history that no one would want to own, what you get is a perfectly serviceable horror film with no surprises whatsoever.

So this is a prequel to a prequel in yet another cinematic universe that no one really asked for, but due to the low budget of the films, and nine times out of ten they recoup double their budget on opening weekend, you can expect to see these films pop up for at least the next few years.

So we have yet another origin story to the legend of Annabelle, but the film references other maguffins in The Conjuring-verse, for example, we have a glimpse of The Nun from the second Conjuring movie, which is currently being made into a feature length film.

Creation follows the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' rules of this type of horror film, dark set pieces, very loud orchestrated scores that go silent before your obligatory jump scare.

But like the other films, these jump scares are not scary, they cause you to jump because the score is so loud, you cannot help but jump, it's the cattle prod of cinematic scoring.

So we focus more on one particular girl, the noisiest girl in the house. The type of girl of when told not to go into a room, she'll do it anyway, but in the dark of the night, because it's more scarier isn't it?

There are some red herrings to the jump scares that really throw you, for instance, there is one scene involving a stair-lift, the camera angle leads you to think that the scare will come from the right hand side of the screen, but spoon feeding that the audience has been privy to for the last umpteenth horror films really throws you.

The acting is okay, pretty perfunctory for a film like this, we have two actors who were quite prolific supporting actors twenty years ago, whom add a little gravitas to the whole proceedings.

But the film is a little deceptive in its title. Yes, the titular doll literally gets created in the first five minutes, but the rest of the film really offers nothing new to this universe, until the last three minutes, which is pretty ingenious to be fair, and it wraps the whole film up very nicely.

So all in all, it's a pretty serviceable horror film, which entertains whilst your watching it, but you'll forget it a few hours later.
0 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Well paced good story scary and effective without gore
phd_travel14 August 2017
This movie is very good from start to finish. I wasn't too impressed by the original Annabelle itself. This movie is better. It's a good kind of horror - well filmed with a well paced story of the origins of the doll and tragic death that took place. I like that you can follow the story clearly it and makes sense without red herrings and the photography isn't too dark. It's actually clearer than Conjuring. Doesn't rely on excessive gore or too many shock tactics to be scary. The young actresses who play the orphans staying who come to stay in the house are effective and don't over act.

Going through the house which is like those historic farm/home tours - it's quite fun to see which household items and things are going to be sinister like a dumb waiter and the scarecrow.

The ending is satisfying enough to make you feel you watched a well made horror movie.
11 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.