Wild Rose (2018) Poster

(2018)

Three chords and the truth
FrenchEddieFelson26 July 2019
A young Scottish woman comes out of prison with the firm intention of fulfilling her dream and becoming a country singer in Nashville, Tennessee. Despite a bank account desperately empty. Despite two very young children she pathetically neglects.

The frontier between stubbornness and motivation is often very blurred and it is only a posteriori that one can judge, even if many external factors, perceptible or not, can influence the course of events. And, without unduly spoiling the script, I was expecting a sad ending. Moreover, the atmosphere of Wild Rose (2018) quite often resembles those of Ken Loach's films with this inevitability that seems inescapable.

A very pleasant surprise!
16 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Three chords and the truth.
bob-the-movie-man3 April 2019
BAFTA named Jessie Buckley as one of their "Rising Stars" for 2019, and here she proves why.

Buckley plays Glaswegian Rose-Lynn Harlan, a decidedly wild child electronically tagged and released from the clink but straight down to some very public cowgirl sex with her erstwhile boyfriend. Only then does she have the afterthought of going round to the house of her Mum (Julie Walters) where two young children live. For Rose-Lynn is a single mum of two (#needs-to-be-more-careful-with-the-cowgirl-stuff), and the emotional damage metered out to the youngsters from her wayward life is fully evident.

Rose-Lynn is a frustrated 'country-and-weste'... no, sorry... just 'western' singer, and she has a talent for bringing the house down in Glasgow during a show. The desire to 'make it big' in Nashville is bordering on obsession, and nothing - not her mum, not her children, nothing - will get in her way.

Rose-Lynn has no idea how to make her dream come true. (And no, she doesn't bump into Bradley Cooper at this point). But things look up when she lies her way to a cleaning job for the middle class Susannah (Sophie Okonedo) who sees the talent in her and comes up with a couple of innovative ways to move her in the right direction.

Will she get out of her Glasgow poverty trap and rise to fame and fortune as a Nashville star?

Rose-Lynn is not an easy character to like. She is borderline sociopathic and has a self-centred selfish streak a mile wide. As she tramples all over her offspring's young lives, breaking each and every promise like clockwork, then you just want to shout at her and give her a good shaking. It's a difficult line for the film to walk (did the ghost of Johnny Cash make me write that?) and it only barely walks it unscathed.

A key shout-out needs to go to director Tom Harper ("Woman in Black 2", and the TV epic "War and Peace") and his cinematographer of choice George Steel. Some of the angles and framed shots are exquisitely done. A fantastic dance sequence through Susannah's house (the best since Hugh Grant's No. 10 "Jump" in "Love Actually") reveals the associated imaginary musicians in various alcoves reminiscent of the drummer in "Birdman". And there are a couple of great drone shots: one (no spoilers) showing Rose-Lynn leaving a party is particularly effective.

The camera simply loves Jessie Buckley. She delivers real energy in the good times and real pathos in the bad. She can - assuming it's her performing - also sing! (No surprise since she was, you might remember, runner up to Jodie Prenger in the BBC search for a "Maria" for Lloyd Webber's "Sound of Music"). She is certainly one to watch on the acting stage.

Supporting Buckley in prime roles are national treasure Julie Walters, effecting an impressive Glaswegian accent, and Sophie Okonedo, who is one of those well-known faces from TV that you can never quite place. BBC Radio 2's Bob Harris also turns up as himself, being marvellously unconvincing as an actor!

But I don't like country music you might say? Frankly neither do I. But it hardly matters. As long as you don't ABSOLUTELY LOATHE it, I predict you'll tolerate the tunes and enjoy the movie. Followers of this blog might remember that - against the general trend - I was highly unimpressed with "A Star is Born". This movie I enjoyed far, far more.

(For the full graphical review please visit One Mann's Movies on the web or Facebook. Thanks).
23 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Full of heart
muamba_eats_toast19 March 2019
The whole story was excellently portrayed. Buckley excels both vocally and portraying the problems of so many in similar positions. It has ups and downs and doesn't shy away from challenging issues nor glorify them. Julie Walters alongside Buckley was perfect also. Although their greatness on set did outshine most of the supporting cast who had a daytime cheap tv drama feel about them although this did not take to much away. Also anything involving whispering Bob Harris has to be worth seeing. A feel good romp of a film.
21 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Movie of the year!
Chatblater00930 March 2019
The best movie of the year : I'm still buzzing after the preview.

Uplifting movie that embraces the human spirit. What going to the cinema is all about.
18 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
3 chords and the obvious cliches
fostrhod9 May 2019
Wild Rose 🥀 a film about Country and Western music . 3 chords and the truth. Singer as to choose between her kids or her dream of being a country singer ( not western) lead actor Jessie Buckley is great , real star quality. The music is incidental really. It's a film about relationship, mum n her kids , mother and daughter . It's not a classic but it's a decent film and well worth viewing 6/10
15 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wow chills down my spine, what a performance !!!
onlinevirtual9 August 2019
A down to earth realistic , good and bad story with genuine actors (especially the main actor) who are destined to be stars. Bravo
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really enjoyed
jadecalvert-2162120 February 2019
For once a film with an amazing lead singer! Watched it screen unseen with odeon and so glad we did! Really enjoyed!
16 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A funny and sad drama with some truly great acting performances full of passion and emotion.
sbweightman20 March 2019
The story isn't that original in concept and has some minor pacing issues, but it also has a lot of depth as it shows the struggle to balance your dreams with your responsibilities. It has plenty of heart and toe tapping country music which keeps it entertaining and enjoyable throughout, although I felt a bit more could have been done with Glasgow and Nashville's cultures and settings.
15 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Three Chords and the Truth
ThomasDrufke1 August 2019
For a long time I always said that crime thrillers were my favorite genre, but it's becoming increasingly clear that music based movies have overtaken that genre with the new release of Wild Rose. A movie that will inevitably (but unfairly) be compared to 2018's A Star is Born because of the subject matter, but it tells a different story about a musicians dream to be a star. Starring the up and comer Jessie Buckley, Wild Rose is a hard edge but sweetly rounded coming of age tale of a single mother who dreams of leaving Glasgow for Nashville, because she believes it's the only place where she can become a country music star. For someone who doesn't like country music (and that's being kind), I was instantly entranced by Buckley's voice and the catchy but emotionally resonant songs throughout the feature. And much like her work in last year's 'Beast', Buckley proves she is someone to be reckoned with, and through her performance as Rose, that there's simply no place like home.

9.7/10
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A wonderful rose, surrounded by thorns.
jditch28 February 2019
Wild Rose is not a movie I'd ever watch, but I did! As part of the Odeons 'screen unseen', you pay £5 to watch an unreleased film, but you don't know what it is untill it starts. They're always excellent films. Wild rose was no exception. But it does have flaws.

Positives: The lead, Jessie Buckley is really strong. At times she's so strong that other actors looked really weak. For the most part the supporting actors somewhat let the film down. But Buckley is the star attraction anyway.

The soundtrack is really good and won't be too obvious to most people. Buckley's voice is ecstasy at times. Especially in a cinema theater.

The film is smarter than it appears. There was a jarring moment in which the whole film suddenly feels as though a different director has taken over. From that moment I felt the quality of the film really took of and was rather enjoyable.

Weaknesses: The first 20 minutes is marred by awful, cringy British comedy. Not the good kind. Just bad.

Supporting cast are at times, shocking.

Sophie Okonedo demolished her character with almost childish emotion. Her character is on the edge of believable. But the writing didn't allow for much relationship development. Sophie really had to nail her scenes to make it work and she just isn't up to the task.

You can tell the writers are up against it at times.

But that I felt emotional at the conclusion really sums up that the film is at least powerful enough to worth watching.
12 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You will laugh. You will cry. You will rejoice!
canarygirl31 March 2019
Having just watched Wild Rose as part of a Mothers Day early preview screening I was blown away by the soon to be superstar talent of Jessie Buckley. This woman can act and sing and knock your socks off doing both. You want to smack her and then hug her. Hugely strong support from the legendary Julie Walters and two adorable children and a fantastic soundtrack. This film is a must see. As we left in tears, the audience were also wiping their eyes. Outstanding.
11 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wild Jessie
danielnikrasov18 August 2019
This whole movie was typical to Jessie Buckley's genesis of her career, even proved herself she was worthy for a Rising Star nomination in BAFTA this year (no wonder why). Clearly, I don't understand why Letitia Wright took her place instead (I assumed it's because Black Panther). Jessie was received an award if I were BAFTA, but I guess it won't happen anymore. She genuinely deserves it at all cost while proving why:

Jessie plays as Rose-Lynn, a wildly lady tagged and released from prison but straight goes down to public cowgirl sex with her ex-boyfriend. Only then afterthought of going to her mom house where her two kids live, and the emotional damage is metered out to the two kids from her insubordinate life. Her desire is reaching to Nashville, but no one- including mom and two kids- will stand her way.

She isn't really easy character to admire. She is self-centered selfish as she tramples all over her kids lives, breaking each and every promise, and it just makes you want to shout at her. It's a difficult situation to walk and it barely walks unscathed. She does anything to reach her destination, including neglecting her family. The scene where Susannah hears Rose's favorite song, reveals hope is not yet shattered and she still has a chance to rise.

The camera just adore Jessie Buckey. You can sense her real energy in good times and real pathos and also has a real talent to sing. After the film finished, I couldn't resist to keep listening her songs, which are manage to correspond with the narrative of the film. The director Tom Harper and the cinematographer George Steel simply did a good job of supporting the atmosphere of the film. Some framed shots done effectively and nicely: the shot where she leaves the party is very splendid. She certainly delivers her best performance on the acting stage. She is really a star is born.

The supporting cast beside Buckley is national treasure by Julie Walters, as her mom trying to discuss with her face-to-face about living her life without losing hope.

There were some layers that bothered during the movie, but I would like more depth on the scenes between the characters, as well as the supporting characters: as for her ex-boyfriend's past, the contrasting relationship between Rose and her mother and etc...

Wild-Rose is far from surprised that his narrative is familiar, but it gives a lesson on life about trying not to be hopeless (... because Jessie Buckey will be always beside you).
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ending a let down
sue-moyce17 August 2019
Was really looking forward to this, but it felt like they suddenly had to rush the last 10 minutes, and jumped over some important parts of the story.

Regret paying to download it, more of a "if it's on TV and everything else is sport, put it on" kind of film.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fantastic performance and heartache that country songs are made of
trinaboice8 August 2019
Jessie Buckley appears to be a real "star is born" actress. BAFTA named Jessie Buckley as one of their Rising Stars this year. After you've seen the movie, you'll understand why.

The movie is directed by Tom Harper, written by Nicole Taylor, and made of the heartache country songs are made of. Just like a rose, the movie is beautiful with some thorns.

THINGS I LIKED:

I thought it was cute when Rose-Lynn was cleaning the house and the band appeared around her to accompany her in her imagination. Jessie Buckley was born in the same county in Ireland where they screened the movie in Ireland. You get to hear some great country music. Rose-Lynn's dream is to get to Nashville. My husband and I went last year for a conference and were wowed by the main street where you can hear fantastic performers every 20 feet you walk. Such great entertainment.

It's really hard to understand the super thick Scottish accent. It's charming, just hard to understand. We all love an underdog, but it's tough to watch a selfish, single mother neglect her children.

TIPS FOR PARENTS:

Within the first 4 minutes, a young woman drops an F-bomb, you see a naked man's rear end, a sex scene, and people smoke a joint. Profanity and F-bombs. A young woman gets out of jail but behaves very badly outside of prison. Rose-Lynn tells some nice kids in their school uniforms that they look like they're something out of The Shining. A kid gets hurt and goes to the hospital. Alcohol

You can read my full movie review at Movie Review Mom
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I love Glasgow and Wild Rose
wielmaja8 August 2019
This is the first review I have ever done on IMDB and I am so glad it is for a great movie like "Wild Rose". I studied in Glasgow over 40 years ago and when I saw the preview that it was shot in locations around Glasgow, I just had to watch it. And I am so glad I did...heart warming, sincere, never over-the-top acting by Miss Buckley and Julie....not forgetting the Glasgow scenes which I so dearly missed! How I wish there were more "recognizable" Glasgow scenes instead of Nashville! The theme song is unbelievable! You go watch it,,, it will be well worth it!
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wow what a singer & actor - a star is born for real !!
mmorrow20124 April 2019
Loved this film from start to finish - great acting & singing & very emotional.
9 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wildly Depressing
happycap-6775717 July 2019
We saw this movie last night. I do not understand how so many people loved this movie. I knew she was coming out of jail (it's in the description of the movie). But her self destructive ways over and over again is hard to watch over and over again. It could have been so much better.
8 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A stellar performance from miss Buckley
smith-c5714 April 2019
A thoroughly good film with an exceptional performance from the lead jessie Buckley, a star in the making, solid back up performances from sophie okenedo and the always brilliant julie Walters It may be a little predictable but the music is great, and I'm not really a fan of country music, it's like a gritty version of a star is born, with a lot of swearing, but a very enjoyable way to spend a couple of hours
8 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Gritty not s#1tty
davidconlan1-75-28859522 August 2019
Keeps an even pace with characters you can empathise with. Buckley is superb and what a voice
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Marmite
bogeyman7863 May 2019
Not my sort of music but fairly interesting to watch. Only annoying thing is the same old song is sung throughout. Not for everyone
7 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Rose has bloomed!!
sala15118313 April 2019
A strong film, solid performances with a great soundtrack to boost. This story tells us you don't have to go or look too far to find who you are, it's right in front of you. A touchingly Honest film, this is a treat from a uk stand point. I give Wild Rose 8/10
6 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A missed opportunity
allyshand-334224 April 2019
I really wanted to like this more but it's quite bleak and the lead character is mostly very unlikeable . Underwhelming overall and not as funny or sad as it could and should have been
7 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brilliant
catstaples13 April 2019
This is a great movie. The acting from Jessie Buckley and Julie Walters is first rate. I had a lump in my throat the whole way through as the movie sensitively and accurately shows their relationships. It's the best film I've seen this year.
6 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
She can sing, but she cant act
namstonk11 August 2019
So a TV actress stars in a film written by a TV writer and boy can you tell. Absolutely nothing original, yes Buckley can sing but it's not enough. If you like Ken Loach type films then this will suit, if you like Ken Loach quality films then dont bother.
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
How did she get a visa ?
sbreilly8 August 2019
Watched this film last night with my son and loved it, however my son said she probably wouldn't have got a visa to travel with her criminal record.
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.