The Secret Life of Pets 2 (2019) Poster

Lots of fun!
gayle-551568 June 2019
Took my five year old grandson. He loved it and so did I. Cannot understand why anyone would give a bad review. Wonderful animation and humor.
67 out of 104 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An excellent sequel!
FrenchEddieFelson1 August 2019
We find the same protagonists of the first opus (Max, Duke, Snowball, Gidget, ...) confronted with new delirious adventures, which allow joyful flights with a quirky humor. Not to mention new characters such as Rooster (Harrison Ford).

As a synthesis, this second opus is ultra-vitamin!
17 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Full of meanings , Really amazing and funny
mohkhair3798 June 2019
First i had a doubts that the second always bad but this one is really much better from first one

Go and enjoy it
48 out of 78 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great sequel!
seancleachw8 June 2019
Amazing adventure with our favorite pet families! Really enjoyed the story line as well as the new pets introduced to the story. - Dad

I love the movie!!! It's soo funny and cute watching all these pets solving their problems together as an animal lover!-Sean's son
51 out of 85 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Weak Plot, Disappointing characters
jamespitts18 July 2019
This movie was completely unnecessary, most of the characters put in the poster art have no involvement in the plot. All they get is a bit of comedic relief. One of the main characters from the first movie, who was a key part of the story, was underused in the sequel. The villain seemed pretty basic and didn't have much coverage, making him seem one-dimensional. Wouldn't recommend ๐Ÿ‘Ž
9 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Must watch no matter how old you are
nowaisa12 June 2019
Okay honestly, I went with my two daughters and expected to get bored and I think I enjoyed it more than they did! The movie was SOOO funny and so well acted. I highly recommend it!
38 out of 65 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Intense and entertaining
TheBigSick26 May 2019
Narratively, the film is not without fault. In particular, the three storylines are fairly loose, and do not seem to relate to each other. Nevertheless, this does not prevent the film to be thoroughly unpredictable, wildly fun and extremely fast-paced. While introducing a new character Tiger or Hu, the film retains most of the characters from its predecessor, all of which are adorable and cute. The characters, dialogues and actions are super hilarious, and the children in the auditorium kept laughing throughout. Several scenes, including the cliff scene and the chase scenes, are pretty intense.

See the movie if you want fun and happiness.
41 out of 71 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good movie to take the kids to!
momoquads27 May 2019
Not a 10 out of 10 because there are three distinct plots that converge at the end instead of a movie length story. It felt almost like a show as opposed to a movie, but it was funny and cute and emotion provoking.
36 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved It
davidsaunders8611 June 2019
I really liked the story line of this movie. I hope they continue Max's story and get into the other characters stories as well. My kids loved the first one and love this one too!
38 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hilarious and enthralling
dddblackbeard11 June 2019
Being rather disappointed by the first part of this cartoon, I did find the second part absolutely fascinating.

To begin with, there are some serious issues being brought up, such as taking risks or playing safe in the context of upbringing. Should children climb trees to be learnt from their own experience or should we keep them safe from any conceivable risks?

Moreover, not only gags occur throughout the storyline, but some puns or psychological kind of humour as well. And some hilarious characters, such as this crazy cat-lover granny, are not to be neglected. I did burst out laughing with this scene in the vet hall as well with all these "psycho" pets and their utterances.

Little did I guess about the plot development! Ok, I might have foreseen some obvious twists (I cannot tell them here so as to avoid spoilers), but others came rather unexpected, which was something I liked the most. Being bored by all this predictability in movies and cartoons, I could be really amused at last!

And the last but not the least is about the soundtrack which I think fits the cartoon like a glove. It was so pleasant to hear long-forgotten melodies once again in a brand-new context.

I do hope this story will be continued and that it would be done so in an increasingly good fashion. By that I entail that it would not be cursed with such a bane that struck the "Fantastic Beasts 2" or the "Maze runner 3". I distinctly remember how disappointed I felt at the time I was watching those ones and regretting what on earth had happened to my favourite characters!

To sum up, I do recommend going to the cinema and disconnecting for an hour and a half or so with this undoubtedly great cartoon.
39 out of 69 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So good
RebeccaSpark27 May 2019
This movie is amazing! There's no scary stuff and the animals are adorable! It should be rated G!
44 out of 79 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A funnier and entertaining improvement
askrapitsalex8 June 2019
While the Despicable Me franchise continues to reign as the commercially successful non-Disney animated franchise, Illumination gives the sequel treatment to their previous projects, including The Secret Life of Pets.

Looking back at the first film, I still find it cute for its interesting premise, colorful animation, catchy musical score and a cast of memorable, side characters. My only issue(s) were that the plot was predictable and Max & Duke, while not intolerable, didn't leave much an impression for me.

However, my expectations began to blossom ever since the marketing for the sequel came out. After months of anticipation, the movie took me by surprise on how much it improved.

The sequel has three stories: 1. After Katie got married and has a son, Max (Patton Oswalt) became overprotective of his new playmate and must learn to overcome his fears. 2. Gidget (Jenny Slate) tries to rescue Max's favorite toy from an apartment room full of cats. 3. Reformed villain Snowball (Kevin Hart) dons a superhero alter-ego and must save a tiger from an abusive circus owner (Nick Kroll).

In hindsight, the plot would sound like a mess and have a lack of focus on which story to follow. In practice, however, the stories intertwine pretty well and does deliver an entertaining and intense climax in the third act. The plot is one of the major improvements over the original. The stories are more character-driven and sticks more close to the title of the franchise more than Max & Duke's buddy-comedy journey, which took majority of the first. The comedy is also a set-up from the predecessor where the jokes are more hit than miss. In fact, laughed out more than chuckling a few times in the past.

One of the highlights of any Illumination movie is the animation. Sure, some may argue that the Illumination animation quality and the character designs are too simplistic and doesn't visually stand out comparing to other animation studios. As an animator myself, I sense that the animators continue using heavy emphasis on shape on the animals' design that are executed well in their movements and humor. You can tell the animators had fun referencing how the animals move and behave, and animate them to their full potential. As for the setting for New York City, it retains its colorful appeal from the first film. They also added new scenery to give a different atmosphere from a pet's perspective. It can whether Max & Duke visiting the upstate farmland or Snowball venturing through the carnival fairgrounds. For the latter, it also provided some decent and energized action sequences.

Most of the characters return and they are still likable and funny, thanks to the actors' performances. There are couple of characters worth mentioning. I'll start off with Max. First, he is now voiced by Patton Oswalt replacing Louis C.K. after exposing his...history. He is, for the most part, a fitting replacement. But, there are times when his voice can be a little noticeable since both said actors have different pitches and deliveries. Outside his performance, Max goes through a major character development where he and Duke become friends with Katie's son, Liam. But, Max slowly and progressively becomes brave and less worried. I consider Max to be more likable than he was last time. Snowball went through a major transition from villain to a happily living as a pet while determining to helping others as a superhero (though at times, pretends for fun). As the for the new characters, they are mostly welcoming additions and provide their own charm. The only exception(s) that I felt weren't interesting enough were Katie's husband Chuck and son Liam. Again, not bad characters, they didn't leave much of an impression. On Snowball's side of the plot, we have Daisy, a kind-hearted Shih Tzu who idolizes Snowball's alter-ego and wants to be like him. Hu, the captive white tiger that gives out more personality than words with behaving like a house cat and having a childlike innocence. If I had to pick two of my favorite new additions of the pack, it would be Rooster and Sergei. Rooster (voiced the first time and remarkably well by Harrison Ford) is the farmdog that acts as Max's mentor on how to overcoming fears. I'd classify Sergei as the most menacing villain in Illumination history for his dark and threatening design and nature, comparing to the comedic, over-the-top villains from other movies.

Overall, The Secret of Life of Pets 2 is a major improvement over the first film, thanks to a well-thought out story, appealing animation, good laughs and great performances. If you are an animal lover, Illumination fan, or have kids, I'd definitely recommend this movie. It'll be fun to sit through and a good appetizer before Toy Story 4.
37 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hilarious especially if you're a pet owner
cara99-325-2534646 June 2019
I really enjoyed secret life of pets 2 probably more than the first movie as a cat owner Chloe and the cat in the vet were so much like my cat really realistic the movie was really cute and funny I loved the new characters daisy and roster great addition to the pets from the first film daisy and snowballs scenes together were hilarious Tiffany haddish and Kevin Hart are really funny together overall I would definitely recommend watching it I loved it
37 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very Funny
beachy-384319 June 2019
Not as funny as the first, but still very funny. This movie has everything: Kung Fu, a car chase, and rock and roll. Be sure to stay and watch the non-animated comedy clips with the first of the ending credits.
32 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
GO SEE IT
tigerdad-4802412 June 2019
Way better than the first one. Could not stop laughing. Must see film.
32 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very cute
butterflyvo8 June 2019
Solid sequel, though the hawk wasn't in it. I laughed out loud several times. My 3 year old loved it.
29 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Good, The Cute and The Pretty ( Score 10/10 โญ)
hilaryswank20117 July 2019
Rating 10/10 This 3D computer animated film is very successful that all pets are attractive and lovely for all ages. The most influential factor for this film is Harrison Ford (1942-) who played a ''Oz''like-MENTOR role in this film which called Rooster, a Welsh Sheepdog. Many countries and regions dubbed original English actors with local voice actors, thus, the English version is highly recommended.

Audience will notice that there are sakura trees in the New York City sequence. It is a visual signature of Japanese landscapes in Spring. It sends audience a signal that The Secret Life of Pets 2 (2019) is not any kind of antithesis to Hayao Miyazaki (1941-) animation films. One the contrary, it is quite harmonious with Miyazaki world and his sprit.

In fact, there is no any barrier between Miyazaki animation fans and Pets fans. Actual protagonists and roles are not humans but all are pets, thus, the story structure is unique and twisted from live action movies. The development of the film story is not concentrated in one character while the main conflict is basically the same. As the result, the pace of the film is pretty slow from beginning to the middle of the entire film. The story is not driven by one protagonist, many characters are in charge of main plots as an ensemble drama. It is also the reason of decentralisation of the story structure. Story Structure ''EXPOSITION'' ACT1: The protagonist Max a Jack Russell Terrier (Patton Oswalt) and its owner Katie (Ellie Kemper )'s family take a road trip to their relative's farm. Inciting Incident is not this change of location from New York to the farm. It is when Max accidentally breaks cattle grid, and some sheep escapes, then farm's tough sheepdog, Rooster decides to retrieve the missing sheep with Max.

End of the ACT1 is when Max successfully retrieves the missing sheep at the cliff, and gets Rooster's trust. At the end, Rooster presents Max his handkerchiefs as symbol of his trust.

''DEVELOPMENT"ACT2: The first half of ACT2 is composed by a conflict around Busy Bee which is a Max's favourite toy left for his girlfriend Gidget (Jenny Slate), a white Pomeranian. Gidget accidentally loses it in one of apartment rooms where infected by bunch of cats and owned by a cat lady (Meredith Salenger). After Chloe (Lake Bell) a morbidly obese and apathetic grey tabby cat trains Gidget on how to be a cat. As the result, not only Gidget successfully retrieves Busy Bee with Plan B ''red dot'', and hailed by bunch of cats as ''queen of cats.'' Midpoint: Chloe and Snowball (Kevin Hart) a white rabbit and former flushed pet meet Daisy (Tiffany Haddish), a Shih Tzu and decide to rescue white tiger named Hu which tortured by the abusive Russian circus owner Sergei.

The rest of the ACT2 is after Daisy and Snowball free Hu to Pops (Dana Carvey) an elderly Basset Hound's apartment, Hu is kicked out from there, thus they hide him at Max's apartment. At the END of ACT2, Max and Duke's family come back from the trip, the Russian circus owner Sergei (Nick Kroll) sends his black wolves to track Daisy down with her flower clip she dropped, and Sergei captures Hu. This is the most dangerous and intensified moment for the characters.

''CONFRONTATION''ACT3: Sergei escapes in train, and Snowball, Max, hamster Norman (Chris Renaud) a guinea pig and Gidget chase the train. Max and Snowball defeat Sergei's monkey and wolves. They kick Sergei off the train, then Gidget knocks him out with the cat lady's car. Finally they free Daisy and Hu. The Secret Life of Pets 2 (2019) is a good example of Three Act Structure in ensemble drama. It is not so simple like more individualistic structure however it proved that Three Act Structure actually works and fits ensemble drama. This animation film is good for all ages of audience.
21 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not as bad as some reviews on here
ddriver38526 May 2019
Let's get this straight it a film made for children so if it didn't float the boat of the adult reviewers on here so what. Although not as good as the first it was still a pleasant one hour and twenty minutes of the further adventures of are favourite pets.
35 out of 71 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very enjoyable
katetelford1 June 2019
This was brilliant for the 5, 9 & 10 year olds who saw it, they thoroughly enjoyed it and laughed. This is a kids film, and a good one. Adults giving this serious reviews need to get a grip.
26 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun to watch
andychenet10 June 2019
It is very fun to watch. I have two cars and the behavior looks very alike. The music MV from snowball at the end of the movie is very impressive as well. Lots of fun.
25 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent Movie
rmbldr-5574610 June 2019
I haven't laughed at a movie so hard in a long time. The animation was awesome and the story line was really cute to boot. I need to see the first one now!๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
24 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better than the first
antsmum14 June 2019
Really good animation and a story with a message.

Interesting how it was continued on from the first and "catching up" with the characters. A lot of fun.
23 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Breath of Fresh Air 2019 Classic Buy It Enjoy It
topeka_brooks13 June 2019
Illumination has another hit!

Really an easy film to watch. Plenty of laughs. Good soundtrack. Neat plot that goes in all directions and then ties together. It doesn't make any sense, but is it supposed to? It's a kids movie!

We saw it in a matinee in our small town theater. The auditorium was packed with kids and moms and a couple of dads - and us old fogies. Everyone came out laughing and smiling and talking about the movie.

Not sure why the haters have a problem with this movie. Yes, you can quibble about a few things, but it is a kid's movie! Hello?!

This flick delivered a full portion of everything we expect in a kid's movie, and without any sour notes or negativity to spoil the fun. It's a breath of fresh air.
23 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pointless Sequel
wadben-786101 August 2019
These movies are just mindless copies of Toy Story which follows the general illumination trend of having as low a budget as they can to appeal to an audience of children who will laugh at any old squishy yellow children. It follows three story lines. Only 2 of these matter to the story and the other just pads out run time. Its villian is so mediocre with no motivation and is the least recognisable part of it. Then there's the story of instead of a new dog a new baby. The only twist is that Max is to over protective. Only interesting character is the farm dog. Just a mediocre kids movie.
12 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just as good as the first
masonsaul4 June 2019
The Secret Life of Pets 2 is a sequel just as good as the first. It's got great animation and voice acting (Harrison Ford is a welcome addition). Whilst not as consistently funny as the first, it has better jokes but they are a little more spaced out.
21 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.