The Secret Life of Pets 2 (2019) Poster

Lots of fun!
gayle-551568 June 2019
Took my five year old grandson. He loved it and so did I. Cannot understand why anyone would give a bad review. Wonderful animation and humor.
123 out of 183 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An excellent sequel!
FrenchEddieFelson1 August 2019
We find the same protagonists of the first opus (Max, Duke, Snowball, Gidget, ...) confronted with new delirious adventures, which allow joyful flights with a quirky humor. Not to mention new characters such as Rooster (Harrison Ford).

As a synthesis, this second opus is ultra-vitamin!
44 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Must watch no matter how old you are
nowaisa12 June 2019
Okay honestly, I went with my two daughters and expected to get bored and I think I enjoyed it more than they did! The movie was SOOO funny and so well acted. I highly recommend it!
62 out of 102 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better than the Original!
mm-3926 June 2019
Better than the prequel. The Secret Life of Pets 2 has three stories melded into continuity and humor. Pets and children was the theme with Max. Max the dog which over worries is with the farm dog Rooster (Harrison Ford's voice), who go on an adventure. Snowball is on an adventure to save a tiger, and Gidget must get Max's ball back, which are humorous adventures. The cat laser light scene is hilarious. Not much of Sweet Pea, the Budgie, regrettably, but Sweet Pea is cute as ever. Funny how the budgie looks over serious like budgies do. Not the usual over heavy social messages and formulated animal goes away from home and gets lost story. The animation was not the usual run of mill C G I style super hero movie. Worth watching. I was pleasantly surprised when I view a sequel which is better the prequel. Worth watching. 9 stars. Not one kid was bored during the whole film and audience was completely captivated.
21 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Intense and entertaining
TheBigSick26 May 2019
Narratively, the film is not without fault. In particular, the three storylines are fairly loose, and do not seem to relate to each other. Nevertheless, this does not prevent the film to be thoroughly unpredictable, wildly fun and extremely fast-paced. While introducing a new character Tiger or Hu, the film retains most of the characters from its predecessor, all of which are adorable and cute. The characters, dialogues and actions are super hilarious, and the children in the auditorium kept laughing throughout. Several scenes, including the cliff scene and the chase scenes, are pretty intense.

See the movie if you want fun and happiness.
55 out of 92 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great sequel!
seancleachw8 June 2019
Amazing adventure with our favorite pet families! Really enjoyed the story line as well as the new pets introduced to the story. - Dad

I love the movie!!! It's soo funny and cute watching all these pets solving their problems together as an animal lover!-Sean's son
64 out of 111 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Full of meanings , Really amazing and funny
mohkhair3798 June 2019
First i had a doubts that the second always bad but this one is really much better from first one

Go and enjoy it
67 out of 119 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good movie to take the kids to!
momoquads27 May 2019
Not a 10 out of 10 because there are three distinct plots that converge at the end instead of a movie length story. It felt almost like a show as opposed to a movie, but it was funny and cute and emotion provoking.
46 out of 80 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved It
davidsaunders8611 June 2019
I really liked the story line of this movie. I hope they continue Max's story and get into the other characters stories as well. My kids loved the first one and love this one too!
49 out of 86 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A funnier and entertaining improvement
askrapitsalex8 June 2019
While the Despicable Me franchise continues to reign as the commercially successful non-Disney animated franchise, Illumination gives the sequel treatment to their previous projects, including The Secret Life of Pets.

Looking back at the first film, I still find it cute for its interesting premise, colorful animation, catchy musical score and a cast of memorable, side characters. My only issue(s) were that the plot was predictable and Max & Duke, while not intolerable, didn't leave much an impression for me.

However, my expectations began to blossom ever since the marketing for the sequel came out. After months of anticipation, the movie took me by surprise on how much it improved.

The sequel has three stories: 1. After Katie got married and has a son, Max (Patton Oswalt) became overprotective of his new playmate and must learn to overcome his fears. 2. Gidget (Jenny Slate) tries to rescue Max's favorite toy from an apartment room full of cats. 3. Reformed villain Snowball (Kevin Hart) dons a superhero alter-ego and must save a tiger from an abusive circus owner (Nick Kroll).

In hindsight, the plot would sound like a mess and have a lack of focus on which story to follow. In practice, however, the stories intertwine pretty well and does deliver an entertaining and intense climax in the third act. The plot is one of the major improvements over the original. The stories are more character-driven and sticks more close to the title of the franchise more than Max & Duke's buddy-comedy journey, which took majority of the first. The comedy is also a set-up from the predecessor where the jokes are more hit than miss. In fact, laughed out more than chuckling a few times in the past.

One of the highlights of any Illumination movie is the animation. Sure, some may argue that the Illumination animation quality and the character designs are too simplistic and doesn't visually stand out comparing to other animation studios. As an animator myself, I sense that the animators continue using heavy emphasis on shape on the animals' design that are executed well in their movements and humor. You can tell the animators had fun referencing how the animals move and behave, and animate them to their full potential. As for the setting for New York City, it retains its colorful appeal from the first film. They also added new scenery to give a different atmosphere from a pet's perspective. It can whether Max & Duke visiting the upstate farmland or Snowball venturing through the carnival fairgrounds. For the latter, it also provided some decent and energized action sequences.

Most of the characters return and they are still likable and funny, thanks to the actors' performances. There are couple of characters worth mentioning. I'll start off with Max. First, he is now voiced by Patton Oswalt replacing Louis C.K. after exposing his...history. He is, for the most part, a fitting replacement. But, there are times when his voice can be a little noticeable since both said actors have different pitches and deliveries. Outside his performance, Max goes through a major character development where he and Duke become friends with Katie's son, Liam. But, Max slowly and progressively becomes brave and less worried. I consider Max to be more likable than he was last time. Snowball went through a major transition from villain to a happily living as a pet while determining to helping others as a superhero (though at times, pretends for fun). As the for the new characters, they are mostly welcoming additions and provide their own charm. The only exception(s) that I felt weren't interesting enough were Katie's husband Chuck and son Liam. Again, not bad characters, they didn't leave much of an impression. On Snowball's side of the plot, we have Daisy, a kind-hearted Shih Tzu who idolizes Snowball's alter-ego and wants to be like him. Hu, the captive white tiger that gives out more personality than words with behaving like a house cat and having a childlike innocence. If I had to pick two of my favorite new additions of the pack, it would be Rooster and Sergei. Rooster (voiced the first time and remarkably well by Harrison Ford) is the farmdog that acts as Max's mentor on how to overcoming fears. I'd classify Sergei as the most menacing villain in Illumination history for his dark and threatening design and nature, comparing to the comedic, over-the-top villains from other movies.

Overall, The Secret of Life of Pets 2 is a major improvement over the first film, thanks to a well-thought out story, appealing animation, good laughs and great performances. If you are an animal lover, Illumination fan, or have kids, I'd definitely recommend this movie. It'll be fun to sit through and a good appetizer before Toy Story 4.
48 out of 86 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hilarious especially if you're a pet owner
cara99-325-2534646 June 2019
I really enjoyed secret life of pets 2 probably more than the first movie as a cat owner Chloe and the cat in the vet were so much like my cat really realistic the movie was really cute and funny I loved the new characters daisy and roster great addition to the pets from the first film daisy and snowballs scenes together were hilarious Tiffany haddish and Kevin Hart are really funny together overall I would definitely recommend watching it I loved it
45 out of 81 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hilarious and enthralling
dddblackbeard11 June 2019
Being rather disappointed by the first part of this cartoon, I did find the second part absolutely fascinating.

To begin with, there are some serious issues being brought up, such as taking risks or playing safe in the context of upbringing. Should children climb trees to be learnt from their own experience or should we keep them safe from any conceivable risks?

Moreover, not only gags occur throughout the storyline, but some puns or psychological kind of humour as well. And some hilarious characters, such as this crazy cat-lover granny, are not to be neglected. I did burst out laughing with this scene in the vet hall as well with all these "psycho" pets and their utterances.

Little did I guess about the plot development! Ok, I might have foreseen some obvious twists (I cannot tell them here so as to avoid spoilers), but others came rather unexpected, which was something I liked the most. Being bored by all this predictability in movies and cartoons, I could be really amused at last!

And the last but not the least is about the soundtrack which I think fits the cartoon like a glove. It was so pleasant to hear long-forgotten melodies once again in a brand-new context.

I do hope this story will be continued and that it would be done so in an increasingly good fashion. By that I entail that it would not be cursed with such a bane that struck the "Fantastic Beasts 2" or the "Maze runner 3". I distinctly remember how disappointed I felt at the time I was watching those ones and regretting what on earth had happened to my favourite characters!

To sum up, I do recommend going to the cinema and disconnecting for an hour and a half or so with this undoubtedly great cartoon.
45 out of 83 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's ok
MovieJunkie519 July 2019
Overall not on the level of the first movie but still very enjoyable and likeable, comic and interesting.
14 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very Funny
beachy-384319 June 2019
Not as funny as the first, but still very funny. This movie has everything: Kung Fu, a car chase, and rock and roll. Be sure to stay and watch the non-animated comedy clips with the first of the ending credits.
38 out of 71 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not as bad as some reviews on here
ddriver38526 May 2019
Let's get this straight it a film made for children so if it didn't float the boat of the adult reviewers on here so what. Although not as good as the first it was still a pleasant one hour and twenty minutes of the further adventures of are favourite pets.
48 out of 93 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent Movie
rmbldr-5574610 June 2019
I haven't laughed at a movie so hard in a long time. The animation was awesome and the story line was really cute to boot. I need to see the first one now!😃😃😃😃
37 out of 70 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very enjoyable
katetelford1 June 2019
This was brilliant for the 5, 9 & 10 year olds who saw it, they thoroughly enjoyed it and laughed. This is a kids film, and a good one. Adults giving this serious reviews need to get a grip.
36 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Weak Plot, Disappointing characters
jamespitts18 July 2019
This movie was completely unnecessary, most of the characters put in the poster art have no involvement in the plot. All they get is a bit of comedic relief. One of the main characters from the first movie, who was a key part of the story, was underused in the sequel. The villain seemed pretty basic and didn't have much coverage, making him seem one-dimensional. Wouldn't recommend 👎
43 out of 83 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nothing Happens
lordkrythic31 May 2019
That is the best review I can give, right there in the title. There was an actual plot in the first movie. This is just a series of events, with really no cohesion at all. I guess this is what happens when they just want to make something to collect easy revenue. It's just unfortunate that they writers didn't really care about the movie.
82 out of 170 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Filler Life of Pets
AdrenalinDragon24 May 2019
A very large chunk of The Secret Life of Pets 2 is pointless and dumb. The movie focuses on three different sets of characters in three different plots, and two of them are entirely filler. It reaches the credits at around the 80 minute mark and I'd say about 20 minutes of the runtime is the actual plot (Snowball and the Circus Tiger). Worst of all, the main character Max gets the least amount of screentime and his subplot contributes almost nothing aside from hearing Harrison Ford voice an animal. The Cat subplot is just there for stupid gags and contributes nothing as well.

It really felt like three different episodes or short films stitched together to make it feature length and you know what it wouldn't be so bad if it was at least entertaining to watch. Sadly, the jokes are not funny at all and the whole thing is bland and uninspiring. Honestly, for me it made the first Secret Life of Pets seem not too bad in comparison. At least that one had structure and felt like an actual movie even if it wasn't original. The Secret Life of Pets 2 didn't even entertain the kids in my cinema so I consider it a waste of time and easily one of Illumination's worst movies.

2.5/10
67 out of 137 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very cute
butterflyvo8 June 2019
Solid sequel, though the hawk wasn't in it. I laughed out loud several times. My 3 year old loved it.
35 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
GO SEE IT
tigerdad-4802412 June 2019
Way better than the first one. Could not stop laughing. Must see film.
36 out of 70 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Outdated russian stereotypes, but nice
heffa612097 July 2019
Fun movie but loses track of story as others have mentioned and the eastern european bad guy stereotype is boringly outdated by now, maybe it works for US audiences still? Cute and fun characters. Louis CK's replacement did a good job.
17 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun to watch
andychenet10 June 2019
It is very fun to watch. I have two cars and the behavior looks very alike. The music MV from snowball at the end of the movie is very impressive as well. Lots of fun.
29 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Look at the score, look at the reviews
kysiersan14 August 2019
Like many big studios, they paid for reviews. Doesn't matter if this movie is good or not, any studio that tries to manipulate reviews does NOT deserve your $$
32 out of 65 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.