Raya and the Last Dragon (2021) Poster

The definition of 6/10
whiskeywhiskey797 June 2021
Raya and the Last Dragon is the most spectacularly meh film I think I've ever watched. Cool world. Boring characters. Ok story. Awful pacing.
69 out of 91 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Missed Opportunity: Banal Plot, Rough Dialogue and Flat Characters
johannesburgensenjr29 March 2021
The movie's basically another allegory on greed and how it can tear humanity apart.

Now the plot's lack of originality would've been fine if they had a strong cast and some solid writing to build upon. But sadly, they were more concerned over the number of characters they could shove into the film than they were with actually developing said characters into actual people.

They keep cracking jokes and pop culture references instead of holding conversations that would could've added depth or provide a much more organic build-up to trusting and accompanying Raya -- a lone wanderer. They do have their somber moments, but it's brief and doesn't really do much in terms of establishing their bond over lost loved ones. It feels formulaic.

Back to the theme, I get it. People are inherently greedy. Greed is bad and destroys communities. It's overdone and the movie constantly bashes the audience's heads over it. Especially Sisu, who's the worst offender of the bad off-timed

I gotta admit that Raya does have great visuals and fluid animation. However, the dragons just pull you right out of the immersion. They stood out like sore thumbs with their wacky colors and fur, similar to those silly caterpillars with googly eyes. I bet they designed these "sacred dragons" with the intention to sell as many toys as they can.
236 out of 364 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Visually Spellbinding But Has No Original Voice Of Its Own
CinemaClown6 March 2021
Taking the usual Disney story template, applying the same rinse n repeat formula to it, then slapping the added representation tag on the package just for the sake of it, and marketing it as something fresh when it's not, Raya and the Last Dragon marks the arrival of a new princess in the Disney kingdom, and is truly astounding to look at but the film as a whole has no original voice of its own.

Directed by Don Hall & Carlos López Estrada, the story hurries us through its own mythology and doesn't spend enough time to strengthen the foundations before the main plot surfaces. Add to that, it expects the viewers to be invested in Raya's journey without putting in the effort that would compel us to do the same. There are familiar beats & predictable subplots here, plus it plays safe instead of risking anything.

While some characters are interesting, others are annoying. Humour also falls flat, for the film tries too hard. The emotional moments pack a punch but isn't allowed to stay afloat for long enough to deliver the goods. The animation is breathtaking for sure. Its richness, colour depth, lighting & rendering is almost immaculate. The background score by James Newton Howard is also a plus. And the voice cast play their roles responsibly as well.

Overall, Raya and the Last Dragon is enjoyable & entertaining, and will manage to satisfy most but there isn't anything new or different about it. Visually it may look richer & resonant but the underlying flavours are all the same. From a storytelling perspective, it is formulaic. From a creative standpoint, only its animation is worth noting. Nonetheless, despite the conventional treatment, there is a sense of fun & lighthearted quality to it that makes the ride pleasant enough.
230 out of 380 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This movie is gorgeous to look at, however it's far from perfect
jaimehberrio666 March 2021
This movie is gorgeous to look at. The visuals alone represent a masterful achievement from Disney, it's hard not to concentrate only in the amazing animation that surrounds the movie. The voice acting is also great and the basic premise of the story is incredibly creative. However the movie is far from perfect; it mainly uses the same Disney formula that everyone knows by heart, creating a story that, although creative and well presented, feels repetitive and incredibly predictable. The humor in the movie falls flat at times and it can take the viewer out of the suspension of disbelief bubble that is required from a movie like this. Overall Raya and the last dragon is a proof that the Disney formula can work, however it falls flat in comparison to other films that the studio has done in the past.
341 out of 573 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beautiful film
isenschmidrene26 April 2021
Seriously. What's wrong with humanity? All these people who give this film a 1/10 have lost their mind. Don't take a single one of these review scores seriously. That isn't a question of opinion. Those people have an agenda. They're bitter human beings, hiding in the anonymity of the internet behind their desk and post their biased, pitiful buzzwords. Review-bombing a film for kids, how pathetic and miserable are they?

Seriously, I respect different kind of opinions. I respect that people perceive and rate films differently. I would accept it if people give that film a 4/10 or a 10/10 because they genuinely believe that and because that's in a range that I would see as "plausible". But anyone who gives this film a 1/10 is not a reviewer. These persons are totally biased and not qualified to give a proper score.

The film was wonderful. Animations are top-notch. The story is clichéd, but okay. In the end, it's a movie for kids and even though I still like watching Disney films, they can't be compared to complex, non-animated films because they're targeting a different audience. So I'm not expecting a film like Memento here, but that should be obvious... Although the film lacked the typical songs, I found the soundtrack quite beautiful and atmospheric. To sum it up, it's a nice story and an overall beautiful film for everyone.
100 out of 162 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mediocre and repetitive story with gorgeous visuals
cobo-36 March 2021
I am at awe with how far computer graphics have come in such a brief period of time. I still remember watching the first Toy Story in cinemas, back when that was state of the art.

Raya and the last Dragon gives me goosebumps just looking at the characters skin and the incredible water, smoke, and overall look of the animation. Really beautiful movie.

And maybe that is what made this movie so painful to watch. A boring cliched story, with the same beats over and over. It is even structured as different levels in a video game, with the different stages clearly stated from the beginning: Get a piece from each of the 5 kingdoms.

And then watch the same fights, between the same characters, telling the same jokes (the 10th time that the beef jerky joke was told, I rolled my eyes in disbelief), with the same moral of the story repeated again and again at nauseam.

None of the characters leaves a lasting impression, and nothing funny, amusing or exciting happens to them in their journey.

Watching the trailers and the story premise I wasn't expecting much, but even with low expectations it managed to be a disappointment.
289 out of 514 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
All this hate ... why?
mrcrazy-295-66759223 April 2021
Not Worst Disney.movie, not stupid, not predictable, not boring (at all), not horrible, not terrible, not trash, not weak.

So all this 1/10 are from idiots who even bother too see the movie, trying to boycott because one of his actors or or seen it on cam.

I love this movie, mainly because is far from the traditional musical movie.

The story is the best part, and Awkwafina was a fully surprise for me.

See for yourself. You will not regret.
119 out of 206 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Everything was fine until the Dragon talked.
dysfunctionalrequest10 March 2021
Literally the movie started good, was excited, but the dragon and her annoying character shifted the tone entirely into another goofy by-the-numbers movie. It would have been much better if the dragon didn't talk, like the horse in Spirit (a far better film btw) and emotions were expressed in facial expressions. The dragon was stupidly designed and written, and why does she sound so american??? It makes no sense and is really jarring for me. A meh movie, lost potential all over.
333 out of 612 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
30 dollars plus a monthly subscription fee....for this?
cryptidmeringue11 March 2021
This movie was....beyond disappointment for me. The plot was an incoherent , tangled mess. Seeing how there was literally ten writers and four directors working on an hour long movie....you can kind of see how this movie got so tangled up in its own plot holes, flat characters and kung fu 'boss baby' jokes.

Felt more like I was watching the writers of this film play the telephone game, as they pitched ideas back and forth than I was watching a complete, polished film. Which is shocking to me cause... its disney! I really was hoping the film would feel sincere and epic but instead was given an elsa, my little pony -friendship is magic hybrid of a movie.

Not gonna lie disney....you charging people 30 dollars up front PLUS a monthly subscription fee is pretty awful and corporate cold of you to do. And that's what this movie felt like! Just a poorly sewn elsa dragon plush doll smashed up against the glass of a crane machine in the middle of nowhere.

So if your a parent who thinks 'cartoons' are just for kids and want to distract your own kid for an hour while you get the laundry done-This movies for you. But if you're not and have high hopes that disney will one day return to its golden renaissance of animation this movie's...not...for you.
270 out of 500 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boring, predictable, unoriginal.
ibpolovich14 March 2021
This movie id probably one of the blandest, generic, cookie-cutter movies Disney has ever made. It felt like a chore to watch all of it. The high quality animation is the only redeming factor but its not even that impressive considering how much money Disney can pump into movies.
270 out of 501 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not bad...But...
simaltongo6 March 2021
Not bad, but don't know ... how should I say? It was a visual masterpiece. Seriously, stone sculptures, places, landscapes, sky ... Each one was so detailed and beautifully drawn ... AND OMGG! OSTS AND MUSIC WAS AMAZING! But there was something that did not happen in terms of the development of the story and the characters. No character development, nothing impressive enough to make you cry, everything happened so fast and finished. I think the story is a bit shallow because they care too much about visuals. I expected a better movie. It had the potential to develop and end in very different ways. I was a little disappointed ...
215 out of 396 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beautiful garbage
mrbunny-631356 March 2021
Was looking forward to this movie, but I found it utterly disappointing. Predictable plot, annoying characters, it did not make sense at all. Beautifully made, but a big letdown
202 out of 375 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boring & Predictable
aspennoack6 March 2021
Disney really dropped the ball this time. Boring and predictable. Not even worth watching.
242 out of 454 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pretty but weak
anderachristensen7 March 2021
The movie was poorly paced and unoriginal. Without spoiling, one of the characters commits a very terrible act against another character and then tries to spread the blame and never accepts fault for their actions. It made me so mad I wrote this review.
204 out of 380 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Looks nice, but story is boring and messy
jag-863987 March 2021
The movie looks great but there were so many weird decisions with the story. Humor was flat in many cases reminding me of 2010s vine humor where the joke is so on the nose its cringey and then the "funny part" is the person explaining the joke

Character development was non-existent and characters did whatever they wanted. In one scene you had a ninja baby that could sneak through an entire city and take out guards to leave a note, followed by the main character having a realistic MMA fight with the villian. No coherence between scenes but hey look cute baby face
268 out of 509 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Color-by-numbers, condescending & lazy
larissapontez6 March 2021
Were there even any script writers involved in this? Because I'm pretty sure the executives just stitched this movie together with bits and pieces of every other film and then plastered "trust" on each and every dialogue. Can you spell out the moral of the story one more time, Disney? A bit louder, for the slow kids in the back. Couldn't even be bothered to hire some composers to distract us from the gaping plot holes with some catchy songs. Laziest, most condescending Disney production in a long time. The only reason I'm not giving it a 1 is that the animation was very well done. The poor art department deserved better.
173 out of 323 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worst Disney movie
abou_jjouj17 March 2021
Nothing is really good about this movie; some may like the animation but I'm not a big fan, I think it's too barbie like. No real story behind it except that you can trust everyone, even strangers. No real villain, no real backstory or personal risks and change. It's a simple straightforward movie made for 5 year olds that can't even ask a question, kids that will only be amazed by the colors and the useless dancing dragons, kids that don't expect any real outcome out of the movie. After decades of real storytelling and advancements in movie making and story, we find Disney, the all knowing, making the same mistakes that would destroy any small time company; we are presented with a story that has no natural flow, where the characters seem forced and has no room to really grow. As a fan of Moana, and someone who was really excited for Raya, I just found myself utterly disappointed and looking for somebody that can get me back those 2 hours of my miserable life.
187 out of 352 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
From zero to zero
adelhafez-065088 March 2021
Cannot believe Disney produce this rubbish in 2021, worst sound tracks ever, lame humour, pointless story, the only creative character is the baby and at last an anime movie without singing.
168 out of 316 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lacking
hartzjennifer5 March 2021
This movie tries very hard to be good. However for me it seems to be lacking in terms of content . Don't recommend
173 out of 326 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This movie is boring and pointless
mightyguitarbanger8 March 2021
Boring No excitement No humor No Plot No Story

Disney did a great job making sure everyone was Asian ... and sucked at everything else.

Keep it simple stupid
192 out of 364 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ignore the Haters...
mrteodo17 April 2021
The majority of people complaining on here are only doing so because of having to pay extra to watch it on Disney+. Just wait until it comes out for free or stop complaining. The story line was compelling, the chemistry between the characters was fantastic, and there was something that both adults and kids could enjoy. A must see for any fantasy fans out there! Any of the reviewers who said their kids found it "boring"... Well, maybe it was the parents' boring attitude towards it that made the kids not watch it...
134 out of 249 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worse than live action Mulan
Rafimohamed996 March 2021
I know it isn't Pixar or Dreamworks animation movie. My expectations were really low but man this movie is so boring and unfunny.

This movie has taken so much from How to train your dragon, Kung Fu Panda and Avatar the last airbender. But it fails in developing memorable characters, storytelling, good dialogues and direction.

Who is the target audience of this movie ? Because it's lame and boring for adults. Too weird and creepy for kids.
200 out of 380 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Horrible - waste of time
terithurman7 March 2021
No character or plot development. Overall, it was Sloppy, boring, and unimaginative - a lot of narration because of the lazy writing. I don't know who in their right mind gave this terrible movie a good rating. My kids and I thought it was total garbage. One of Disney's worst movies...and they have done a lot of bad ones. Waste of time!
209 out of 398 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worst Disney movie in years
jhvzchx13 March 2021
Characters lack depth, the funny bits aren't funny, the story is predictable, the moral teaching of the movie is supposed to be trustful. Instead we learn not to trust anyone because they only not betray us when they have nomothetic choice. The animation of many of the human figure looks more like a video game than what you expect from a high budget film like this. The facial expressions are so exaggerated to a point that it makes you think "wow that drawing is a really bad actor"

Disney should refund everyone's money
175 out of 331 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Same old same old.
tyesonbebee7 March 2021
It is what it is a Disney movie. They should get back in to real animation it might bring back a nostalgia factor.
185 out of 351 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.