Just a Breath Away (2018) Poster

A very good film
ink2quill22 November 2018
This is a very good film that avoids all the trite elements of a sci-fi or survivalist story. The characters are sensible and likeable and the story is really good. Check this gem out folks. You won´t regret it.

John
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Weird ending
kazerniel30 May 2018
The ending kinda shot the movie in the foot. Nothing was really explained. We just got to see how a few people coped with a natural catastrophe. But the lack of actual wrap-up left me quite dissatisfied. (How much of the world was affected? Preteens will run the country/planet now? Iirc they said third of Paris's adult population has died, but it seemed more like 99%. Why didn't the wind disperse the fog for days?)

Another weird thing was the dog that chased them through the city. Ok, let's say it's young enough that it's not affected by the gas. But still... family dogs don't behave like that, practically hunting down people over long distances. It wasn't protecting its territory, it wasn't starved, it had no reason to behave in such an unnatural way other than plot convenience.

Also it was weird that they didn't just get in a car and get the f--k out of there. Even if the roads were blocked by other cars there must have been smaller streets and such that they could have used to get around.

Aside of the above plot malfunctions, the atmosphere (haha) and emotional tension worked really well, and the visuals were pretty good. The child actress was mostly terrible, but sadly child actors usually are.
15 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A disappointing reboot of the mist
gourdelregis20 August 2018
The initial idea is not bad: to place a family of three in a disaster situation when a mysterious toxic mist spreads in Paris. It also quickly appears that not everyone is affected by it. Unfortunately, the movie doesn't really go beyond that. It focuses only on a handful of character, placed in expected situations, and makes no progress in understanding the phenomenon.

In the end the unexplained selectivity of the mist only serves as an easy excuse for the plot to bring in some new situations. Even though, two adults are scared by an average dog just like people were scared by alien monsters in The Mist of 2007. Like many things in this movie it simply doesn't add up.

The actors' performance is good and scenes with the elder couple are touching. Still the movie doesn't have much to offer overall.
14 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great
mkamir4 April 2018
Just saw the movie in Paris. Super efficient movie. Romain Duris is a great French actor (way better than Dujardin or Depardieu) and Olga Kurylenko is stunning and plays very well too. Lots of suspense and surprising develompments as we follow the hero in his quest to save his daughter's life. Great pics of Paris in the fog and some good FX as well. Great cast, good story, great movie.
30 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good atmosphere, and that's it
thausilveira13 October 2018
The idea was good, the atmosphere is fantastic, and that's it.

Some of the dumbest characters I've ever seen in the movies and a weak ending. Come on!
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A small budget story of a big budget idea
Saint_Pauley4 April 2018
A family of three is trapped in the upper floors of their building by a poisonous fog that has settled over Paris. Sadly, of all the stories that could be told from this situation, the one they've chosen is no doubt the least interesting. I'd be more interested in the masses atop Montmartre or the group stranded in the towers of Notre Dame, but that's not they tale we're told. Instead, we get a small budget story of a big budget idea.
10 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A wasted potential
ImHellion18 December 2018
The idea itself has so much potential to begin with; doesn't need so many special effects since it's more on the personal side than we are used to and the scenery of Paris under the flood of mist is dreamy. Also having such a heavy gas to be leaked may not be so out of reality I assume. However you will find yourself going mad at some point over how poor reasonings these characters have. The decisions they make to survive over these happenings will frustrate you keeping in mind that the mom claims that she is a scientist! First of all you would thing that the first think the character would do is to go to a pharmacy to get as much as oxygen as he can since thats what seems to keep him alive. But no! He sees a bunch of people going to a place that hasn't been contaminated, doesn't tell how urgent his daughter's condition is and only gets one set of oxygen equipment. After that they come up with the idea that there is a suit that made specially for children that has this condition, even though the mom knows the location perfectly, they both go, spending double amount of oxygen! They try to outrun an aggressive dog that magically hasn't been effected from the gas while there are all kind of vehicles lying around the street. They become seperated at some point and the father sees a protective suit on a dead guy, he stares at it like the next thing is to get it but suprise suprise they find eachother and forget about this other suit that might have saved their life. Fortunately they get their hands on this special suit, still not thinking how the hell the current tubes will be sufficent for them until the end? The door inside the building blows up and burns the father's cordon that goes to the tube and silence! The oxygen tube does not blow up wow! Without the oxygen tube he stays in the building while mom goes out to deliver the suit to their daughter not checking the suite with the possibility that it may have been damaged by the explosion?!? Oh and we see another suit on the shelf, she also does not bring that one to her husband?!?! Shocker. And the film continues with all kinds of nonesense, blowing up such a good story with being undecisive about what to make of it.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good
child_of_Orion30 August 2018
It's an ok movie to watch, reminds me of Under the Dome: some unexplained event happens and people die, but just it stays unexplained for the viewer. Yet the idea of how those who can survive and those who can not before special care before this event is a nice one.

I don't think you'll waste your time wathing the movie. And the ambience European so what makes it pleasant and different to watch. It's just not a "wow" one.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fabolous!!
lardigabi5 February 2019
Great Movie! Best in a long time. I cant understand the negativ Review here. Guess that those just did not understand the meaning of that movie. Great Actors! Great story! And a great ending! Top!
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great possibilities...wasted!
dallorens42619 May 2019
This movie started out as a great idea good actors could've been an outstanding movie the story is a great premise but the movie simply had no organization nothing is explained and it doesn't even lead one to make any conclusions at all. Running around with two oxygen tanks that seem to last way longer than realistic.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I liked it in spite of the mistakes
mattheba8322 December 2018
I enjoyed watching this movie.

What I liked:
  • amazing effects, the smoke looks spectacular but still normal
  • the view of Paris is so great
  • the idea is interesting
  • Olga <3 is such an amazing woman
  • a girl living in a bubble makes me wonder in itself
  • parents only care about their kid's well being like in real life
  • chill european mood, not too much Hollywood hyper-action hysteria

What I didn't like:
  • Why is one adult dog alive another dead?
  • So are the kids and the puppy safe from the mist and the adults aren't, or are the sick safe and the healthy arent? Because that was messed up.
  • There was another "safe suit" on the shelf... Why didn't the husband put it on? Their life was on risk, they would have taken it with themselves actually immediately they saw it.
  • Another suit on the street... Let's leave it there too! WhyTF would they need it when no oxygen in the air, right?!
  • The girl's mum dies and she still feels quite ok, with no serious crying and mental and emotional breakdown, her character in the end is just like someone who's bad day finally is over.
  • What happened to the dead body on the stairs?! The kids just live with it now like a nice couple? Well kids can be cruel I guess:D
Hahaha:D But however I really enjoyed watching this movie, the mist looks awesome and the mood was quite easy.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just one thng bothered me...
searchanddestroy-113 April 2018
Oh, this is Nothing, but only tiny little detail. IF anyone can help me by commenting this masterpiece and explaining me...When the couple is attacked by the dog in the street, the supposed contamined street by the lethal gas, how the hell the dog could live, breathe, run after them whilst in the same time any one died: humans and even animals? HOW? But besides this, I can only say that that's the first French disaster movie ever, at least on that scale. No problem.
6 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I liked this, but...
petrov-a-irk10 May 2018
This is a good disaster movie and is certainly a wotrh to watch - the idea is intriguing, and the performance of ators is excellent. But it seemed to me that the story is a strong LGBT- or LGBT-like agenda, because it clearly states that normal people can't or maybe even shouldn't be let to live - they either die because of their previous actions (towards nature, for example), or will be killing each other in case of a disaster or will be forced tino complete dependence of "not-like-everyone" people.
8 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Para ser francesa, me sorprende pero no del todo. To be French, I'm surprised but not at all
Andres-Camara25 November 2018
¿A qué me refiero? El cine francés es muy de guion, solo de guion y obvia todo lo demás. Esta es una película de ciencia ficción y eso es raro en su cine. Como es ciencia ficción, parece que hay que dejar todo sin cerrar y no explicar, solo la intriga y ver qué pasa tienen que ser suficientes, pero aunque para mí no es así, es que además le faltan las dos.

Lo han preparado todo para hacer una película interesante, pero no lo terminan de hacer, lo dejan a medias, no lo culminan y ese es el fallo

Las interpretaciones son mediocres, no es que veas una maravilla.

La iluminación, vital en este tipo de historias, se queda a medias. No la usan bien, por lo tanto no te metes en la historia.

Si la apoyas con planos bonitos e interesantes mejor, pero en ese caso, tampoco lo hace. La cámara observa desde fuera. No te aburres, pero a mí, al menos, me deja un poco a medias.

Los efectos están muy bien eso sí. Pero aun así, me iría a otras películas.

What do I mean? French cinema is very scripted, just a script and obvious everything else. This is a science fiction movie and that's weird in his movies. As it is science fiction, it seems that you have to leave everything without closing and not explain, just the intrigue and see what happens have to be enough, but although for me it is not like that, it also lacks both.

They have prepared everything to make an interesting movie, but they do not finish it, they leave it half-finished, they do not finish it and that is the fault

The interpretations are mediocre, it is not that you see a wonder.

The lighting, vital in this kind of stories, is half-hearted. They do not use it well, so you do not get into the story.

If you support it with nice and interesting shots better, but in that case, it does not either. The camera observes from outside. You do not get bored, but at least it leaves me a little half-hearted.

The effects are fine, yes. But even so, I would go to other movies
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Plus prévisible tu meurs...
Diulf12 September 2018
Ou alors tu regarde Titanic... Ou un film sur la vie de Jésus, Kennedy... L'histoire du World Trade Center...
2 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The most stupid movie ever made
marcocrysty4 November 2018
I have never seen a movie so stupid! A seek girl with the most stupid parents in the world!
2 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cohesive, touching and mostly cerebal catastropic sci fi - "atmospheric" in every sense...
jrarichards27 April 2019
If you believe - as I do - that any film (even in the sci fi genre) should stick to its beliefs and have its characters doing what they have to do or need to do sensibly enough at all times, at best just occasionally helped by realistic-enough quirks of fate, then Daniel Roby's "Dans la brume" is for you.

Associated with a cataclysm that arises here in a Paris setting (but potentially/presumably also everywhere), the core suspension of disbelief is going to be a pretty big one; but if you can get past that, then "you're in", as it were. And there's not a wasted minute in this taut film, so though there are just 89 of them altogether, you'll definitely find you've had a worthwhile, if not a little "claustrophic" experience.

Minimalistic as the approach is, there are hints of epics like "On the Beach", as key characters accept their inevitable fates, while others struggle on to the last. In either case, this film does surprisingly (and movingly) well in its lionisation of ties of family and marriage - notably those of Mathieu and Anna (Romain Duris and Olga Kurylenko), as well as the old couple that take them in and offer unstinting support and comfort in any way they can. In the latter context, Michel Robin as Lucien offers a simply fine performance quite evocative of characters in films of the Kieslowski genre. We are lucky to get elements of this class in a sci fi/disaster movie, but get them we do, and it's super.

The fact that there is a touch of optimism in the twist in the tale (unlike in "On the Beach") does no harm at all, and those who suggest implausibility here should recall that this is sci fi, and that does denote a core idea that, if perhaps a tad fantastic, IS indeed meaningful, thought-proving (and not a little stunning), as the genre always should be.

The main pairing leaves the odd question mark - these are clearly very capable people (perhaps a touch too much), in a slightly enigmatic marital setting, but they won't give up on each other, or above all on daughter Sarah (Fantine Harduin). Again, a film about people who couldn't cope at all would obviously have little mileage in it...

A few other characters appear in the midst of the chaos and growing loss of life, and do their bit - at times chillingly. But in each case it's vignettes that tell the story, without much in the way of special effects (except the one main one that proves quite effective enough).

And it's all absolutely good enough to offer a compelling and thought-provoking film experience that doesn't waste our time in any way at all, and does by the way (in a slight echo of a film like "Signs") give succour to any who think that things that happen in our world are - in spite of everything - "meant to be".
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.