The Isle (2018) Poster

(2018)

Porridge again!
nogodnomasters25 April 2019
The film takes place in 1846 as a group of three sailors get shipwrecked on an uncharted island west of Scotland. The film combines the setting with Greek Siren mythology as one will quickly surmise. The characters were as bland and gray as the sky. The film moved slowly to a climax not worth waiting for.

Guide: F-word. Brief sex. No nudity.
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great build-up, but ultimately not a great movie...
paul_haakonsen6 May 2020
Granted, I didn't know what I was getting into when I sat down to watch the 2018 movie "The Isle" from writer and director Matthew Butler-Hart. But I do enjoy watching movies and will watch just about anything.

I will say that "The Isle" was off to a good start, as the movie took place with the few inhabitants of a strange isle, with even stranger residents. And while the marooned survivors knew little about what was going on, so did the audience. That was definitely a good thing.

But then halfway through, give or take, the movie just slid into a stupor and everything that the movie had built up and shrouded in a haze of mystery was just carelessly torn down without grace.

What works for "The Isle" is the mood of the movie and the isle itself. There is definitely the sense of some great secret hidden beneath the surface and no one is willing to talk about it. And the acting performances, especially by Alex Hassell, were good as well - just a shame that the actors and actresses didn't have all the much to work with in terms of script and storyline.

I managed to sit through the entire movie, although I have to admit that my attention span was drifting aimlessly about after halfway through the movie. The movie was just too boring, to be bluntly honest. There simply was too little happening throughout the entire course of the movie.

My rating of "The Isle" maroons on a mere three out of ten stars.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A really amateurish production
Top_Dawg_Critic13 February 2019
This film was painfully stretched out to 96 mins that should have been a short film. I get that this was a low budget production, but even for a C-grade film, everything about it was amateurish. The directing and editing was terrible, the score was way too evident throughout, the acting decent in some parts, terrible in others - but I'm guessing that was the director failing to direct his cast. The concept story itself was interesting, but the screenplay dragged this films pace to a snails speed and felt like 2+ hours. It's clearly obvious all reviews above a 7 are all fake/paid - as they are the only review, or 2 or 3 others on the same day. It's an honest and generous 3/10 from me.
68 out of 97 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Three times my reviews got deleted cos the fellas associated with this film cannot respect opinions.
Fella_shibby17 September 2019
My reviews of this film got more than 100 likes all three times but they got deleted without em containing any abusive, spoiler or nasty stuff. This film has many fake reviews n ratings.

Originally I gave this film a three. One for decent cinematography, one for the hottie Alix Wilton Regan n one for the effort.

I saw this film without watching the trailer n without reading anything bah it. Sometimes I do this n if the film turns to b good then I rejoice but this film made me very irritated. It has bad acting, lousy effects, there is zero suspense n absolutely no tension. The editing is horrendous n the direction pathetic. The ghost in this film is laughable, awfully lazy, aided by two lousy sirens from the Greek mythology. Ther is a lousy n awful sex scene. Not of the hottie Alix Wilton Regan but of the director's real wife. The director tried to copy Gareth Evan's The Apostle but failed miserably.
65 out of 94 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Slow burning and fragile ...
parry_na14 November 2019
You've heard of folk horror, how about a genre called 'Celtic horror?' Director and co-writer Matthew Butler-Hart takes what is presumably a low budget and produces one of the most beautifully filmed horror films I have seen in a long while. Perhaps 'horror' is the wrong word: what we have here is more ethereal, slow-moving. An atmospheric ghost story which, when you are in the mood for it, ticks all the right boxes and more besides.

This is a superbly shot and directed film. Slow burning and fragile, what could have been a simple fable becomes rather more than that - a tale of loss, injustice and revenge.

I thoroughly enjoyed this. The acting is excellent throughout, from the main roles to supporting characters. What enhances everything here, however, is the location and the cinematography that lifts it even further. This is far from a spectacular effects-fest. Bear that in mind, and you'll enjoy this. It is the kind of film you could live in.
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
VIEWS ON FILM review of The Isle
burlesonjesse520 February 2019
2018's The Isle is my latest review. Set to be released in April of this year, it's a pseudo-horror pic that's distributed by DC Films (no relation to DC Comics). Added to that, "Isle" has a cast of virtual unknowns to go along with its sunless and soil-like, 1800's setting.

So OK, The Isle comes off as the ultimate cinematic tease in trepidation fare. And yes, the movie contains flashbacks that readily deflate any of the story's put-on scare factors. Still, "Isle" is gorgeously shot and has just enough earthy atmosphere and goad determinants to keep you involved as a viewer. I would compare it to something spectral I might have seen on the BBC network circa 1983.

Anyway, The Isle contains almost no gore, characters with contemporary European accents, and plenty of foreboding fog. In all honesty, if you like your mystery components to have more layman style than substance, then "Isle" will give you your stand-in fix. And if you like your ghostly persona to have softened, Evil Dead-style voices, then The Isle will satisfy your psyche of all things that go bump bump in the night.

Directed by Brit Matthew Butler-Hart, containing an effective yet repetitive musical score, and harboring lush cinematography by rookie Pete Wallington (he's done mostly shorts and TV docs), "Isle" is about three shipwreck survivors who stumble upon a haunted island off the west coast of Scotland. Said island has only four living people on it and an uncannily cryptic past. Before long, mild chaos ensues in the form of frazzled women inhabitants with spooky blue eyes. As Jack Nicholson said in The Shining, "you got a big surprise coming to you". I guess so.

All in all, helmer Matthew Butler-Hart gives The Isle a slow burn quality, a whimsical remnant, and a sense that something dreadful is coming. It's just a shame that despite all that buildup, his flick never quite takes off. Heck, Isle of Dogs might be a better vehicle containing the word "Isle" (natch). My rating: 2 and a half stars.
2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
big disappoinment
rupie25 June 2019
I caught a moment of this flick on cable and was intrigued. After checking out the positive reviews here I recorded it on my DVR to watch in its entirety later.

The movie does draw you in at the beginning, with the standard "sailors beached on a desolate isle." They soon realize that strange things are afoot here, and we are given to understand that supernatural events are transpiring.

However, the movie then loses its forward motion. You can only have so many ghostly appearances, frightening nighttime walks in the woods, and otherworldy voices singing before your attention starts to flag. The movie lacks the arc of suspenseful tension that you find in Hitchcock's movies. By the long-hoped-for end one is yawning.

Skip it and watch reruns of Gilligan's Island.
21 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Horrible
RussHog15 July 2019
This movie is sooooo slow. Bad acting. Horrible script.
11 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Watch the beautiful setting not the story.
stevelomas-6940130 October 2019
A beautiful setting for a nice idea. However the pacing was turgid, the script very basic and the execution daytime TV low rent. A hardly original plot where characters make inexplicable choices detracts further. Don't bother.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I enjoyed it a lot, but....
rocknrelics25 July 2020
This is a beautiful looking film, bags of atmosphere, but why is it beyond filmmakers these days to use dollies and tripods? I don't understand this fashion for everything looking like it's handheld shots. It cheapens the look of the film a little for me.

Apart from that gripe, this is a belter, a slow burning, but never boring tale, it draws you in, and you want to know what happens, keeps you interested throughout.

It's also a shame this isn't on blu ray, it would benefit from the format for sure.

A solid 7, without the slightly shaky cameras, would have been an 8.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Never been this bored in my life.
berg-745324 October 2020
I have no problem with movies that are more atmosphere the scary but this is a cure for insomnia. I do really enjoy English and Irish horror I'm a huge fan of Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee and as far is I can remember they never had a single blood bath movie. I get creepy can be scary but this takes it to an extreme a single bad dream is the first 45 minutes. The one and only interesting thing in movie is Jude Laws doppelgänger. Horrible, slow, incredibly boring. Watch this on a night when you cant sleep but need to this a visual sleeping pill.
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Couldn't stay awake
takato052422 July 2021
I don't even know what the premise was. 15 minutes in I fell asleep, hard. Woke up to a woman at a fire. Not engaging at all.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't believe the high rating.
kjjames8111 February 2019
So I saw this last night and after seeing the high rating I thought that this film was going to be great, it wasn't.

The acting was okay. The story was okay, not used to it's full potential. No horror or jump scares what so ever.

Now should you see this film, well if you want to see a wasted chance of a great story done bad then this is it.

Don't believe the hype this film is not good. As people have stated before about false ratings is done by people associated with the film.

I wasted a whole evening watching this.
53 out of 85 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worth Watching
Freedom06028618 September 2019
The Isle is much better than most supernatural horror movies. The acting is very good, as is the cinematography.

It's a mystery that gradually builds the viewer's curiosity, and in the end, all is revealed.

Interesting to see the Conleth Hill perform well in a very different role than in Game of Thrones, it shows he has a good range as an actor.
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I really wanted to like it
hughnwilliams8 July 2019
From the historical (1846) timeframe to the gorgeous Scottish isle cinematography to the ancient allegories of Persephone and the sirens, I really wanted to like this movie a lot. Unfortunately it starts to disappoint early on with classic Scooby Doo horror tropes such as "my glasses fell off so I'm running blindly from a ghost" and "let's split up, we'll cover more ground that way" which happens not once but twice! The second time one character gives a half hearted "but shouldn't we stay together?" And then succumbs to the inevitable advance of this scary movie cliche. Why fight it? This movie never did, nor did it bring any real surprises or twists along it's linear path to resolving the 'mystery' which was exactly what I was expecting.

It's too bad since the premise was solid and it was shot beautifully. They just forgot to put an equal amount of effort into the writing.
10 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great film
d-ramseeey4 March 2019
Just seen the film because of Eilean Shona. A good sci-fi flick, beautifully shot. Kudos to the filmmakers for making this.
2 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
boring, but pretty setting, I guess?
rmarkd13 January 2021
Long story short: Three men survive a shipwreck and find themselves in an island with only 4 inhabitants -- 2 men, two young women. Weird stuff happens to the three men. One of the survivors dies while going out on a walk. The two remaining survivors wander around for half the movie, then decide to leave the island, only to not be able to. Second survivor dies. The big reveal is a while back, a young woman was raped and murdered. She took revenge on the then more populated village by killing people through the two young women. She also caused various shipwrecks along with the two women (Odysseus and the sirens and all). Anyway, the last sailor finally leaves, only to be stopped by the singing of the 3 women, but the two live women jump to their deaths, allowing the last guy to go free.

This is tagged as a horror movie, but it's not what you'd typically expect. There are 1.5 jump scares. The rest of it is just creepiness (person doesn't see the woman in his room or as he's walking about). I don't mind that, actually, I'm not a fan of too many jump scares and is generally why I stay away from horror. So that's not really my issue with this movie.

My issue is the plot really doesn't advance for a good hour or so. It's just weird stuff happening to the survivors and then the women getting temporarily possessed. The other problem I had is the two young women decided at the end to sacrifice themselves so the surviving sailor could live (or they thought he died and killed themselves in grief). So, they let the other villagers die, a bunch of sailors throughout the years, then decide to kill themselves over this one sailor? Why? Lastly, yeah, rape and murder is absolutely horrible, but why provide that backstory? It's not like it's justified killing all the completely innocent people. Could have just made her a crazy lady killing people because... reasons.

Bottom line, the movie was a trudge to get through with a payoff that didn't. 5/10 for the pretty scenery, nice acting. It also did somewhat okay with the creepy unsettling atmosphere.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Spooky
mbazhome7 December 2019
I enjoyed it, finally a movie with an actual plot.
1 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bad all around. And boring.
elizrug13 February 2019
I don't understand how anyone could give this movie a high rating.

Was it for the scenery? We don't see the scenery. We see tree silhouettes, and partial brick walls, with the occasional rocky and seaweed-strewn inlet.

Was it for the acting? This was the crappiest acting I've seen in a long time. The older blonde actress was painful to watch.

Was it the costumes? The very blonde dead woman has hair extensions that are clearly visible when she is seen from behind when she is talking to a guy on the path.

It was boring from start to finish. We almost didn't want to finish it at all, but pushed through. I'm embarrassed because I convinced my teen daughter to watch, saying it was decently rated, so should be good. I even came back to change my rating after thinking about it again.
39 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Predictable.
TokyoGyaru1 August 2021
And not just because the black guy dies first. But once that happened, it was an indication of what to expect thereafter. And to people pretentious enough to question people's intelligence just because they don't like the film, get over yourself. This film isn't the high cinema you think it is. If you want a great, mysterious slow-burn thriller, watch The Witch instead. That director, those actors, actually knew what to do. However, this film isn't in the same class as The Witch. In fact, it doesn't even go to the same school.

On the plus side, it's good for making you drowsy. The groaning, depressing score and the boring, dreary Europeans make great sleep aids.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Unintentionally comedic
umimelectric13 February 2019
Dubious acting to the point of unintended hilarity, poor storytelling, and the worst offense of all: made-for-tv-movie style production that you'd turn on halfway through on a boring Sunday afternoon. Amateurish and dull.
36 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
too slow to keep me engaged
ryan_sy21 February 2019
Like many of the reviews, i agree that the cinematography provided a nice dreary atmosphere. Beyond that, there was not much else to keep me interested. The pacing was so slow i fast forwarded a few times just to get through certain scenes! The acting was average at best. I don't recommend wasting time on watching this movie.
17 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's a 4 stars for me
zadeereviews9 June 2020
Story develops slow, very predictable nothing exciting at the end. Good locations. But everything else mediocre. I'd say skip it if you have anything else to watch. Sub par acting by main actor.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointing after reading good reviews
jandriod201225 July 2019
I think I may have missed something as reading some of the reviews and high ratings, I was expecting so much more. On the whole I felt the film lacks tension and the storyline is weak and predictable. The best thing about it, ironically, was the music
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very Good.
carlospresents23 February 2019
Give it a try, aye! Slow paced, but it's a builder. It's more like a horror story than a modern spooky horror film. Classy, good acting. Stick with it.
2 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.