Ozark (TV Series 2017–2022) Poster

(2017–2022)

1,616 Reviews
Very unique. Terrific Actors
laragi5 May 2020
I never would have watched this if not for the quarantine. It wasn't promoted well. I LOVED IT! Great script, tons of action and characters that you love to hate and hate to love.
222 out of 252 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A tense crime drama with great characters
Tweekums29 July 2020
These comments are based on watching the first three seasons but don't give major plot details beyond the opening few episodes.

Marty Byrde is a successful Chicago financial adviser... whose most important client just happens to be a powerful Mexican drug cartel. When his business partner syphons off some of the money it looks like the end for Marty. His partner is killed but Marty manages to persuade the cartel to spare him by telling of a new plan to launder money. At this point he has no idea how he will do it but if he is to survive he, his wife Wendy and teenage children Charlotte and Jonah will have to move to the shore of the Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri. Once there he faces numerous difficulties; finding businesses to invest in; dealing with local criminals and the Kansas City Mob; and what happens when his children learn how their parents make their money. Over the course of the first three seasons they will face many dangers and not everybody who seems important to the story will survive.

When I decided to watch this I thought it was going to be 'Breaking Bad in the Ozarks' but really it is quite different. Most obviously Marty is already a criminal when the story starts, his wife is aware of this and his children learn very early in the series. While most of the characters aren't portrayed as 'good people' many of them are sympathetically portrayed without justifying their behaviour... this means one is likely to care about them in the many moments of danger. The Byrde family are fine protagonists but there are plenty of other great characters; most notably Ruth Langmore, a member of a criminal family who soon crosses paths with Marty and Agent Petty; an FBI agent determined to bring down Marty. The cast is impressive with both well-known actors such as Jason Bateman and Laura Linney, who play Marty and Wendy, and those I'm less familiar with such as Julia Garner, who plays Ruth. The location really adds to the feel of the series; the water and forests making an original location compared with most series. This series won't be for everybody given its themes, violence and strong language but if you aren't put off by such things it is definitely worth checking out. I can't wait for season four!
57 out of 77 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Addicting!
Supermanfan-137 February 2021
Ozark absolutely, without a doubt, lives up to all the hype it gets! It's a gripping thriller where the tension continues to build throughout each episode and each season and then pays off in a huge way! It really is a must watch show! People like to compare it to Breaking Bad and while I don't agree with that comparison because BB is the better show, Ozark is still terrific and worth every second. The one thing I can't stand about this show is Laura Linney's character (Wendy)! While I don't mind Linney as an actress, because she's a pretty good one, in this she plays an annoying know it all who doesn't appreciate everything Marty (Jason Bateman) has done for the her and the family. Again, it's not her fault, it's just the way her character is written and as annoying as that is it still doesn't take away from the fact that this is such a phenomenal show!
49 out of 65 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Welcome to the Ozark
MAYESY-4421 August 2020
Really decent series with a lot of twist and turns. Trust Issues and betrayal around every corner but the main reason I love this show is because of Jason Bateman's performance, brilliant acting and portray of the character. I wouldn't compare this to breaking bad as it's not in that league but not everything has to be for you to be able to enjoy it.
36 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Exceptional series that needs to continue for years to come
fredgfinklemeyer22 July 2017
07/23/2017 I will finish the last episodes today or tomorrow? I was unsold the first 1/2 hour in due to the overused story line of Mr. Big Time Drug Supplier goes on a killing spree and then dictates the future of a family to the father. Didn't seem real, but after I started it back up again, everything came together. Even though it's fiction, the perception of reality, the ease of real life dialog, the gripping story line is lifelike. Very easy to immerse the viewer into completely. I would rate this series with Breaking Bad, The Sons of Anarchy or The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series of 3. It's truly great and the only negative thing that I might offer is that it's all over to quickly, to short/to little for those of us who really love escape entertainment. I've easily watched 100+ movies online since the beginning of 2017, this is my first and only review. You'll love it, I guarantee. Bon Appetit 09/14/2018 I just finished season two (2). It was just as good as the first season as viewers re-immerse themselves back into the storyline, all-over-again but will probably be sad like myself as the season winds down. Why?, because it's really hard to find any reality based entertainment this wonderful to watch anywhere. Ten (10) episodes a year is about 90 episodes to short, but I'll be looking forward to next seasons offering. The cast and storyline are absolutely superb. Bon Appetit
155 out of 238 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ultimately disappointing
beastiex29 March 2020
Seasons 1and 2 were great but from there it slowly went downhill. In the end the whole thing felt unrealistic and as for the ending the less said the better.
110 out of 157 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ruthie👍👍👍👌👌👌❤
kordvanis12 April 2020
Ozark is one of the best series I ve ever seen! Why Ruthie(Jennifer Garner) has not gotten an Emmy/Oscar nomination is beyond me!Her acting is simply "suberb"I always look forward to seeing what she is up to next!I hope there will be a season 4!
89 out of 113 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Breaking bad meets Sons Of Anarchy
searchanddestroy-12 July 2020
I was at first reluctant before watching this series, because it contained BREAKING BAD DNA; a family man with two teens involved with drug warlords....Doesn't talk to you? And I just dropped YANKEE a few days before, just because of this reason. But this one is after all very good and brings everything to glue you to it, all the ingredients that a modern TV show is supposed to. Sart if not brilliant, good cast, awesome editing and writing; maybe not violent and dark enough for my own taste. But that doesn't remove anything from its genuine quality. I make a short cut to SOA because of Wendy's character, who reminds me Kathey Sagal's one in the bikers series, a family mother invlved with gangs who has to make "drastic" choices. That's all.
67 out of 102 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dark And Violent, With Moments Of Great Tension, But With A Story That Grows Progressively Unsteady .
ArmandoManuelPereira27 March 2020
Season 1 Calling this show tense, would be almost an understatement. The tension is ratcheted up so high, that you can't even imagine what's going to happen. With a gallery of fascinating characters ranging from rednecks to drug lords to a deranged F.B.I agent. But it is also dark, and disturbingly violent. So beware!

Season 2 The tension that existed in season 1, and was practically the shows reason d'etre, seemed to verge on becoming bloated in the first part of season 2. But then it let up, and instead, the writers introduced some new surprises and twists. And more deaths. (Some surprising, and some not.) By the end though I had to confess, I was still engaged and ready to see what season 3 brings.

Season 3

In season three things begin to feel a little less steady storywise. The addition of Wendy's brother, helps a little to get us over the fact that we miss Buddy, but then his character nearly hijacks the entire 10 episodes. The final "shock death" would also have been more effective, if maybe we hadn't seen it coming from three episodes away. Not sure why critics like this Season best of all. For me it seemed the shakiest, and has caused me to revise my rating.
38 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not as good as Breaking Bad but still way better than a lot of other series.
deloudelouvain1 October 2018
Ozark is a bit like Breaking Bad, a guy wanting to save his family by doing dodgy deals. In Breaking Bad it was just one man producing drugs, competing with the Mexican cartel, and becoming his own Mafia at one point. In Ozark it's not the same as it's a whole family working for the Mexican cartel by laundering money and doing other illegal activities. It's about the same but Breaking Bad was just more intenser and suspenseful. But Ozark is certainly worth watching. It's better than much of other good series. The acting is good, the plot is interesting with new twists every episodes. Not a series you get bored after awhile. I saw the first two seasons and it looked like it could go on and secretly I hope it will.
50 out of 76 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Spectacularly thrilling
UniqueParticle27 March 2020
Such a damn good crime series that gives me anxious feelings and bliss! I really wanted Ozark to win golden globes the last couple years the acting is out of this world, great A entertainment. Quite a lot of business stuff that is well done and written; plus a fair amount of gritty violence that gives a nice suspenseful vibe especially for some of the main characters! I love the way Ozark was filmed, beautiful cinematography and captivating performances.
37 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the best series going around
manishjoshi-2800916 May 2019
This series is just so thrilling that you would want it to finish in one go. I finished two seasons in two days. The series has everything to offer plus great acting makes it to worth watch.
170 out of 218 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't know what to say!!!!!!
kenrichorton5 February 2021
How this series starts, and all the events in between, up until the end, you just will not believe. This is a roller coaster ride that you wish never stops
33 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Perfectly cast and brilliantly written thriller
Top_Dawg_Critic4 October 2018
After watching season 1 I gave this amazing series a 9 for the somewhat slow pace in the beginning, but from the last two episodes of season 1 and the rest of season 2, this deserves a 10/10. The writing is outstanding right down to every detail. The cinematography on point. Every actor was cast perfectly and performed great. Directing was excellent. Can't wait for season 3+! A must see series!
59 out of 94 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Love this show!
Supermanfan-1318 April 2021
Ozark absolutely, without a doubt, lives up to all the hype and love it gets! It's a gripping thriller where the tension continues to build throughout each episode and each season and then pays off in a huge way! It really is a must watch show! People like to compare it to Breaking Bad and while I don't agree with that comparison because BB is the better show, Ozark is still terrific and worth every second. The one thing I can't stand about this show is Laura Linney's character (Wendy)! While I don't mind Linney as an actress, because she's a pretty good one, in this she plays an annoying know it all who doesn't appreciate everything Marty (Jason Bateman) has done for the her and the family. Again, it's not her fault, it's just the way her character is written and as annoying as that is it still doesn't take away from the fact that this is such a phenomenal show!
31 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
And it ends like that?!
maddyschiappa17 May 2022
I enjoyed the entire journey. I watched so many things go wrong and so many things go right. And THAT'S how you end the season finale of all seasons?! I'm so disappointed.

Still give it a good rating though cause it's about the journey not the destination. But the destination was incredibly disappointing. I will just go lie down and stare at the ceiling in a state of depression now.
10 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
OZ..O..good
bryangary6517 August 2020
Very entertaining drama though a little hard to take seriously at times

If you like Breaking Bad then this similar series will have you hooked, acting wise Julia Garner is brilliant in her role as Ruth
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A tense,tight and consistently entertaining thriller
danny2567421 July 2017
Ozark is pretty much what you'd expect it to be. Its a pretty tense what-is-he-going-to-do-now type of storytelling that makes it easy to binge-watch.It also holds your attention as Jason Bateman plays a similar kind of character as the likable anti-hero keeps falling in trouble.Similar to breaking bad but also quite different.
192 out of 261 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Superb in every way.
phd_travel2 August 2017
In case you were wondering, this series is as good as Breaking Bad. That's not to say it's a copy. There are some similarities but it's not deja vu. It's similar in that it's as well written - everything that is shown matters, the characters both the good and bad are interesting and there is a real involvement in the story which is unpredictable and captivating. It's different enough - it's money laundering not meth making. And the location is a lakeside community in the Ozarks. And the whole family finds out pretty soon. From Episode 1 the viewer gets drawn in. In fact it's so good that the last episode of Season 1 is as emotionally draining and scary and exciting as anything in the later seasons of Breaking Bad. A true successor to Breaking Bad in quality.

The acting is just right - never over shadowing the story so it's that much more effective. As Marty Byrde Jason Bateman an actor often thought of as comedian and his not overly serious face helps keep the drama from being unpleasant to watch when it gets intense. He is a sympathetic and believable central character. Laura Linney is one great actress and it's so great she gets a good TV series so more people can see how good she is, beyond the movies she has done. You watch every scene she is in - more endearing than Skylar. The son is quite good. The daughter is a strange choice. She looks more like one of the Ozark natives than a city girl. The Ozark redneck/white trash are an interesting non one dimensional bunch. From the talented Julia Garner as Ruth Langmore. Her kinfolk include a rather amusing queer redneck who becomes involved with a queer FBI agent after the Byrdes. The dangerous ones are the Snells a nasty poppy grower with an even nastier wife. They are the Salamancas of the Ozarks.

I can't wait for Season 2.
63 out of 105 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
All Around Top Notch Show
crowes-1886523 July 2020
Ozark is one of the best new shows in years and it manages to do something very rare within the industry... get better with every season. The acting is superb, writing seamless and the story itself is completely engrossing. Even as far in as season three they are able to introduce new characters and draw you into them and make you care about them. I always like Jason Bateman but this role is perfect for him and the character's sardonic sense of humor is a perfect fit. This is a somewhat short review because I don't really have anything bad to say about the show. I think season 4 is their last and my feelings on that are mixed but I'm glad they have decided to bow out while the show is still so good and to do it on their own terms.
12 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
certain nine
twisterwaldo-1132120 March 2021
8.4 kidding me.Brillant cant believe is sudakis actually producing or in the production team.Love the actors and hill billy swamp people cant go wrong.Theres something idyllic on american trailor people normally in europe theyre all romanians but in usa they are the "real" americans.Kind of breaking bad theme in new seasons.But the guiettness of rich people is idyllic.Like it is an sign of an well earning people to be silent.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
AWESOME!!
jjsoltis29 March 2020
Season 3 is even better. The writers actually improved the story in E3. I had to increase my reating from an 8 to a 9. I hope they find a way to keep it going. Without ruining it.
57 out of 91 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great first 3 seasons but terrible last season leaves it a waste
anthonyjames184 May 2022
A truly awful ending that makes you feel like you've wasted your time and effort. Even worse than GOT which is saying something, honestly just avoid and save yourself from the massive disappointment of a very promising show only to dump on itself with a ridiculous, ill thought ending.
15 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Finale left me flat
shelmar11 May 2022
I loved Ozark through ALL it's seasons but the final episode did not do the series justice. It frankly left me flat and disappointed. It left giant holes in the plot and could've done some characters better justice.
15 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dark, Violent, Explicit and generally Terrific
lisacarlson22 July 2017
If you like your shows dark but plausible Ozark would be for you. It has a terrific cast, plausible premise and it builds slowly like a terrific series does. Some scenes are violent and explicit with either gun play or sex. Easi Morales is haunting as Del the drug dealer. It's familiar ground for Bateman and probably one of his better roles but it's Linney who's sticks out like a beautiful diamond among cubic zirconium. Her resume is already impressive but this is not her typical role. Julie Garner is excellent as Ruth the hustler. Jordana Spiro as Rachel raises our interest with a fine, subtle presence and audiences will recognize the house guest, Buddy with a laugh. My favorite cameo comes in episode 3 and proves this Canadian singer has a great sense of humor!
113 out of 186 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.