The Wilde Wedding (2017) Poster

Good Actors Trapped inside a Bad Movie..
BatmanFunReviews201823 February 2018
A retired film star's wedding to her fourth husband brings chaos when their families (and her ex-husband) show up for the festivities. The Wilde Wedding stars Patrick Stewart, John Malkovich and Glenn Close and to be honest i was left disappointed with how poor it was made. The film has awkward sex scenes inside cars and woods, Stewart with a fake and terrible wig and it's romance fails to even be believable. A Big Disappointment with a great Cast inside a Terrible Movie. (0/10)
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
wrong perspective
SnoopyStyle30 November 2017
Mackenzie Darling is filming her family as her movie star grandma Eve Wilde (Glenn Close) is getting married again. Her new groom is famed writer Harold Alcott (Patrick Stewart). Her first husband and first love Laurence Darling (John Malkovich) is still in the picture. There are cousins, uncles, and Mackenzie's divorced parents, Priscilla Jones (Minnie Driver) and Ethan Darling (Peter Facinelli).

Filmmaker Damian Harris is following the wrong characters. There are too many of them with too many relationships. I had trouble following the kids and some of the uncles. With the great cast up top, this should be concentrating more on the veteran love triangle. They should be the stars of the show. The writing is average at best. It's meandering and rambling. It's quirky without actually being funny. There are all kinds of possibilities that don't get enough nurturing. The biggest sin is wasting these great actors' time.
17 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nope.
yyyechiav18 September 2017
If it weren't for Minnie Driver I would've been bored out of my skull. My take away is that the lives of actors are excruciatingly boring. The actors do their job well and act but it's just sad and tedious. If I could only submit 3 lines my review would be completed but apparently a good review must contain more content than is necessary...sorta like this movie.
16 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
too much
nodttiurp21 January 2018
It's another Hollywood movie about the blessed crowd. Too talented, too rich, too burdened with too much. A trauma and resolution after too much sex, too much booze, too much of drugs. A masturbatory achievement dream for the rest of us to admire. To bad.
16 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A film that gets stronger and stronger
Gordon-1119 September 2017
This film tells the story of a seasoned actress, who is remarrying a man. Their families and ex spouses all converge for a weekend of wedding events, but things do not turn out as planned.

As with any film work a big cast and many characters, it is hard to develop all the characters and make people care about them. In here it is the same, the first hour basically it's a collage of one minute scenes of things that a character does. Sometimes I don't even know who that character is, so these characters become empty vessels that deliver a certain line or a joke.

Fortunately, the story gets better after it focuses on John Malkovich. I predicted the ending, but it still is a happy, heart warming ending that brings a smile to my face.
17 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
All-Star Cast But Movie Rings Hollow
larrys317 October 2017
An all-star ensemble cast gathers at the palatial home of retired movie star Eve Wilde (Glenn Close), as she prepares to marry (her fifth) novelist Harold Alcott (Patrick Stewart). Close and John Malkovich,who portrays her first husband Laurence, are strong on screen, and I liked the performance of Yael Stone, as Clementine, one of Harold's daughters, in a supporting role.

However, despite the terrific cast, I found the film itself quite disappointing with almost all the characters self-indulgent and shallow. Their continuous attempts at having sexual flings get quite tedious.

Overall, this movie, written and directed by Damian Harris, just came across to me as hollow and soulless.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Emulating Woody Allen
Moviegoer1917 September 2017
I was going to start out saying this is a Woody Allen clone film, but then thought well, heck, there's a whole genre of films out there that I would call the upper-middle class family relationship genre. What usually implies Woody Allen is when they're set in New York, as this film is, and the family is Jewish, which was not stated in this film, nor was it not stated.

That said, The Wilde Wedding had much about it that kept me watching: good looking and interesting characters, some of whom are also celebrities in the arts and/or literature; pleasing physical settings in the suburbs and rural areas not far outside NYC; and ultimately, musings on the nature of love and marital relationships, and others, while the families act out some of these relationships.

What I especially liked about it was that even when things got somewhat strained between characters, overall the tone of the film was good-natured. There is some tongue-in-cheek humor, and some wine- and shroom- fueled antics which ultimately contribute to the overall happy mood.

Though it touches on some of the heavy subjects of life, highlighted with quotes by some of the heavies such as Shakespeare and Nietzsche, The Wilde Wedding is an hour and a half's worth of enjoyable film viewing.
13 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
VIEWS ON FILM review of The Wilde Wedding
burlesonjesse57 January 2018
Ex-wives, ex-husbands, sons and daughters of both, and close friends gather for the wedding of movie siren Eve Wilde (Glenn Close) and writer Harold Alcott (Patrick Stewart with goofy hairdo in tote). For 95 minutes, the drunk jibber-jabber and suggested amour just goes on and on. That's the gist of The Wilde Wedding, my latest review.

So OK, wanna recipe for an exasperating, comic misfire with a screw loose ending and some out of place narration? Just hire big name stars and an unknown director. Yeah you know I'm talking about The Wilde Wedding.

The Wild Wedding is weddings gone wild! It's like a slight makeover of 2013's The Big Wedding. I disliked The Big Wedding and remembered being incredibly vexed by it. As for The Wilde Wedding, well I disliked that flick just as much.

"Wilde" has well-known actors and C-list culprits looking lost. They are in a film full of bare-bones plot points and smug personalities. I mean come on, what was the real basis for making The Wilde Wedding? It never saw the light of day in theaters anyway and for good reason.

Director Damian Harris provides lackadaisical direction along with the tired adage of an occasional documentary feel (those darn video cameras). His "Wilde" also contains too many characters, incestuous relationships, visible texting, drug use, moonlight sex, and the infrequent mosaic of overlapping dialogue. About the only thing truly memorable in "Wilde", is its scenery which consists of naturally pretty, Ardsley, New York.

All in all, The Wilde Wedding with its co-stars consisting of John Malkovich ("Wilde's" only charismatic performance), Minnie Driver, and Noah Emmerich, is like a more sophisticated version of 2017's Mad Families (my pick for worst film of this year). That doesn't mean I'm giving it any compliments. Rating: 1 and a half stars.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An absolute stinker
m0riarty8 July 2018
The story is ripped from one of my all time favourites, Philadelphia Story and High Society. It has a fantastic cast that do the best with what they're given, which isn't very much, the script is a stinker! Totally fine for a hot sunday afternoon as long as you've nothing better to do.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Some moments but not as funny as it could be
phd_travel10 October 2017
Glenn Close is wonderful in everything so it's worth watching for that. John Malkovich and her don't quite have a connection though. Neither gets the opportunity to shine,

The story is about a successful actress (Glenn Close) who is getting married to a novelist (Patrick Stewart) at her large home. Her ex husband (Malkovich) and their grown kids are in attendance as are his kids. Due to some accidentally ingested pot filled chocolates the night before some chaos ensues.

This kind of ensemble comedy with good actors sometimes works. There are some funny moments and dialog. Minnie Driver as an ex daughter in law shows off her singing talents. But there are some undeveloped story lines and characters perhaps because there are too many characters. Things aren't really funny either with middle aged and elderly people acting silly beyond their years.

The setting is lovely. The house is very attractively furnished and decorated.

Pleasant but not a must watch.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Suggests a wildness that is never reached
shakercoola16 November 2018
This is a film that suggests more than it delivers and this is not confined to the film title. Family and friends of the bride and groom arrive for a wedding weekend. There is lots of merriment and cheerfulness as young and old mix, mildly risque behaviour develops and there is singing and dancing between the scenes of navel gazing and reflection. But there's not quite enough for the viewer to hook on to. Instead we have a number of mini-stories and mini-conflcts that leave the viewer as distant observer. It has an impressive cast and everyone plays to their own strengths but it never really escapes the orbit of its ordinary script despite a sassy dialogue and a few humorous skits.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Like it
coskunsoyer16 August 2018
I really liked the movie and I remember the masterpiece of Louis Malle which is "Milou in may". Only missing is musics of Stephan Grappelli.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Where's Harold?
gbkmmaurstad2 July 2018
The Wilde wedding is that of Eve Wilde, a retired actress about to marry for the 4th time. Invited to the wedding is her ex-husband, her children, her grandchildren, her husband to be, his daughters, a few exes and a friend or two throw in. When introduced to guests/characters, a predictable chaos ensues. Harold (Patrick Stewart) is the groom to be who believes Eve will be the one to change him. Her ex-husband Laurence (John Malkovich) is both comfortable and uncomfortable as a guest in his own home.

The setting is supposedly in an upstate New York home, the grounds are beautiful, the home is spacious and classic. They all appear to be getting along until the pivotal event occurs, but of course you knew there would be one. It all ends as you think it will. Still I liked the film, why? Because it has some of my favorite actors in it and it didn't have some hidden meaning in the end. Good film with a glass of wine and an appetizer.

Suggestion: Pino grigio and crab dip
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.