Alien Addiction (2018) Poster

Instant cult classic!
garthbray17 November 2018
Raw and real as Peter Jackson's "Bad Taste", more bro' than Taika Waititi's "Boy", and up there with Kevin Smith's "Clerks" as a debut indie film. Jimi Jackson carries this. Massive co-star from Aotearoa/New Zealand landscapes. Director, DOP & screenwriter Shae Sterling has 50-plus great music vids to his name but this debut in feature film shows his dedication and talents.
9 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
paulinnznow17 October 2020
Just no, walk nay run away I'm a Kiwi and this is clearly deeply unfunny I am embarrassed.
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Aliens in NZ
BandSAboutMovies30 September 2020
Riko lives in Waikato, New Zealand, which is as close to the middle of nowhere as it gets. While nearly every day is the same, things change when two aliens land and become his friends. However, an alientologist has been hunting the extraterrestrials and wants to reveal them to the world.

Alien Addiction was written and directed by Shae Sterling, a veteran of more than 125 music videos for artists like Sheila E and Snoop Dogg, as well as a series of documentaries called High Octane. New Zealand still feels like, well, alien territory for most of us, so seeing how interplanetary visitors fit in there is a pretty fun concept.

Thirty three years after Bad Taste, it seems like aliens are coming back to New Zealand. These ones are more interested in friendship than they are with treating our planet as a galactic drive-thru, so that's good.

The blue aliens are goofy looking in the best of ways and get high off of poop, so that right there should tell you what kind of movie you're getting into here. You may have some difficulty understanding the Kiwi accents, so consider watching this with close captioning on.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great kiwi humour with awesome scenery
talbotmel21 November 2018
An awesome movie. Couldn't stop laughing. If you follow Jimi Jackson on social media, you know what to expect. Shae Sterling captures the beauty of the Waikato scenery with his filming. Brilliant movie, highly recommend.
7 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Shae Stterling and Jimi combo
jermaineleef15 November 2018
Wow! Jimi Jckson in his first movie and he has an incredible awareness and presence in this film. Full credit to Shae Sterling in his debut film too, written, funded, directed and everything on his own back. Kiwi style!
7 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
TERRIBLE
kubilay-682071 October 2020
This has so bad acting and some cringe stuff this is stupid!
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
NZ Movie of the year!
DannyP8219 November 2018
Hilariously funny, NZ comedy at it's best! Keeps you entertained from start to finish. Definitely need to watch again!
6 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Landing in a Cinema near you.
klporter-5588819 November 2018
Took my friend's teenage son to view and we both enjoyed this movie from start to finish. He was cracking up all the way home. Name a favourite moment - no can do there were too many. I loved the aliens they were adorable, the characters lovable. Alien Addiction reminded me of times gone by and the total "boys humour" our group found hillarious - so i guess far too close to home and therefore relateable. Totally Kiwi and total escapism only negative for me it ended too soon. I want a copy of this movie in my home collection as it is one that I would return to again and again - a Kiwi Homegrown Feel Good movie! Buy NZ made and get out and see it now.
5 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved it....
kwik-kiwi1 November 2020
Maybe not to every ones taste... but I loved it. I grew up in the area it is filmed... was great to see the area again.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
WONDERFUL! IGNORE THE SCORE
matiasmab31 October 2020
I don't get the low rates but this movie is awesome! Its humour is perfect and the actors are 10/10. One of the best "alien" movies out there!
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Funniest movie!
ogilroy20 November 2018
Yo! This movie is so good! Hilarious, raw, NZ humour at its best and Jimi Jackson nailed it! Was he even acting!? 😂 it's a must see! 10/10
5 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Movie of the year!
Livingmybestlife17 November 2018
Strongly reccomend seeing this movie! So many laughs throughout and amazing cinematography of New Zealand. Hard to believe it was fully self funded. There is something for everyone in this film a movie everyone over 13 will enjoy :)
4 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Home Video?
Respectedcritic23 November 2018
Extremely poor choice of actors, I've seen better actors in my child's school play.
6 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great movie!
lanavanrooyen-6280530 November 2018
Great move, great crew and some awesome shots. Had me laughing until the end !
4 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Funniest kiwi movie
jodzstar-5812629 November 2018
Great acting and brilliant comedy scenes. We all have a 'Rico and the boys' in our lives and if you don't...then get some! Had the whole cinema laughing. Fully recommend. Support our home grown actors. Chur to the farken chur!
3 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Trash
smithnoah-9521422 January 2020
Disrespectful an Joni Jackson jusdoesnt know hotbto make a movur
4 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sky high aliens...
paul_haakonsen29 October 2020
I had virtually no idea what to expect from this 2018 movie when I sat down here late in 2020 to watch it. I had never even heard about the movie, nor did I know what it was about, aside from it being a comedy that involved aliens.

So I gave "Alien Addiction" a chance.

And it turns out that writer and director Shae Sterling had managed to churn out something rather unique and entertaining. If you enjoyed movies like "Shaun of the Dead" or "Lesbian Vampire Killers", then chances are that you must certainly also will like "Alien Addiction". Why? Well, because "Alien Addiction" is to the alien genre, what "Shaun of the Dead" was to the zombie genre, and "Lesbian Vampire Killers" was to the vampire genre.

So buckle up and prepare for a crash landing that will turn your face blue and craving that irresistible high...

I found "Alien Addiction" to be a funny movie, yet at the same time also have a storyline that managed to mix comedy and seriousness well enough together to make quite the batter. I will say that I was thoroughly entertained from start to end. Especially since the movie was rather outrageous and quite out there. Talk about stoner aliens!

The acting in the movie was good, and I must say that Jimi Jackson - playing Riko - really carried the movie phenomenally well with his performance. I wasn't familiar with a single actor or actress on the cast list in this 2018 movie, which is something I enjoy, as it is always nice to see new talents that aren't already associated with previously portrayed characters in other movies.

If you want a good laugh and enjoy a spaced out alien movie, then you most certainly have to sit down to watch "Alien Addiction". My rating of this movie crash lands on a six out of ten stars.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the funniest NZ comedies I have seen in a while !!!
losmarko22 November 2019
Alien Addiction had me laughing all the way through its duration. Great dialogue, acting and good old kiwi humor make this Sci-Fi comedy a must watch.
2 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Genuinely funny
rob_todd118 May 2019
Saw this at the London Sci-Fi film festival May 2019. Didn't know what to expect. Tempted to say it was so bad it was good. Really enjoyable and had the audience in stitches. Only gripe was understanding some of the NZ accents at times, but totally minor issue. Well done!
2 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's so kiwi it's amazing
erinprichard4 October 2020
I don't know where this movie came from or how they dreamed it up, and none of it makes any sense. It's brutally kiwi-as and unexpectedly but delightfully hilarious. Possibly my new favourite kiwi film.
2 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sci fi London
ksmyth-6704318 May 2019
It everything you want from a sci-fi comedy film funny as hell and far fetched to be interesting. There is reference to all the great genre. But what stands out the most is the comedic styles of the actors and how the director use the surroundings areas for a back drop for moment off funny silence. The sex scenes leave you to falling of the chair laughing.
2 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just lie back, light up, and enjoy!
rob-201619 September 2020
This was a delight! I've been watching a lot of low budget, independent movies recently and this one was a real diamond in the rough. Most of the cast and crew are making their feature length debuts but that doesn't stop them getting into it and giving solid performances. Jimi Jackson has a lot on his shoulders but he carries it off effortlessly. Harry Summerfield is a real find... good looking and can deliver a comic line. I was smitten by JoJo Waaka as Jacinta who stole every scene she was in and then devastated when I learned that she had died suddenly while the film was in post.

Finally, a big round of applause to writer/producer/director/cinematographer Shae Sterling. Again, a debut feature film but Google his name, find his music videos, and just see how gorgeous they are.

This reminds me of early Peter Jackson and he didn't do too badly afterwards...
1 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.