Split (2016) Poster

(IX) (2016)

James McAvoy Carries This Film
arniecage2 July 2018
A fantastic performance by the film's star, James McAvoy is reason alone to watch this film. Every personality on display is distinct to the other, and he is so interesting to watch. Anya who was breath-taking in The Witch does a fine job here too. This is a film where M. Night Shyamalan reasserts himself as a serious director following a string of poor films. I absolutely cannot wait for the sequel and the conclusion of the Unbreakable series arriving in January. 8.5/10.
242 out of 273 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great movie! James McAvoy is awesome.
sherryismyrealtor2 July 2017
This movie will keep you watching waiting for the next character coming out of James McAvoy. He should have won some awards for his performance of a man with many different personalities. James was very convincing in every part he played. The end is great but I don't want to give anything away so I won't comment on that at all. Well written and the actors were perfect. Watch it today, just don't make the mistake of downloading a different movie called Split about bowling. I did that and that is one of the worst movies I ever saw!
244 out of 297 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great story telling
zlifb13 August 2018
What a remarkable film! The premise of the film seems quite superficial at first but as the layers are peeled back there's so much more beneath.

It's a horror film without special effects gore, an action flick without any car chases. A high-tension psychological thriller for viewers with active imaginations, who don't need to be spoon-fed every explanation.

The acting is top-notch, the script sympathetic, the cinematography and set fantastic, and the music/sound subtle enough not to be noticed, consciously, while building the tension inexorably. It's gripping, un-turn-away-able.

Seriously impressive. I don't give 10's lightly.
203 out of 251 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It maybe gets a bit too fantastical, but it's still an awesome thriller
crberme22 October 2017
I was surprised to see that this movie was released last year (as I'm writing this) and I didn't heard about it, taking in consideration how promising the plot is.

Split is about three girls get kidnapped by a man with dissociative identity disorder (DID) that has 23 personalities. I have to say that this movie does not represent what DID really is and how people who struggle with it are, mainly because this movie gets a bit too fantastical sometimes. It doesn't try to be strictly realistic though, so it's an awesome thriller anyway.

The movie gives you chills since the very start with an awesome acting by James McAvoy and some seriously good still scenes. The overall scenes make you have a weird feeling, something it succeeds to transfer to the viewer that you probably won't be able to describe. That makes this thriller stand out in a good way.

Maybe Split makes a unrealistic representation of dissociative identity disorder, and that can be a big turnoff, but this is a great movie nonetheless.
140 out of 185 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Movie Overall Could Have Been So Much Better, But McAvoy is Astounding
evanston_dad7 August 2017
James McAvoy gives what could have potentially been an award-worthy performance if it had appeared in a different film.

He plays a man with multiple personalities who kidnaps three young girls as a part of a plot two of the personalities have hatched to unleash a powerful and unstoppable identity. Betty Buckley, in a better performance than the role necessarily needed, plays a therapist working with him and who begins to unravel the alarming plot. Writer/director M. Night Shyamalan, who hasn't made a movie I've wanted to see since "Signs," crafts a nifty and effective thriller with three fourths of his film, and then sort of if not completely ruins it by taking his idea too far and pushing the supernatural elements to the point where we realize we're not even watching the same kind of movie we were at the beginning. This particular story, and especially McAvoy's performance, would have been compelling enough without Shyamalan's characteristic inability to understand when he's ruining his own premise.

Grade: B
48 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I don't understand the hate for this film
BremenDruid13 May 2017
Let me start off by saying that I haven't really like Shyamalan's work since "Unbreakable", but I have to admit that this movie made me believe in his vision again. I gave him another chance after hearing so many people raving about this movie, and I'm glad I did. This is an excellently acted, directed and thought out movie. It's intense, funny at some parts, and it is incredibly well thought out. Don't listen to haters just because they don't like Shyamalan's movies. Check it out for yourself and make your own decision.
200 out of 306 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't believe the One Star reviews...
Foolish18 May 2018
After watching this movie, I have to say, I don't understand all the one and two star reviews. This is a return to form for the director of the excellent SIXTH SENSE and UNBREAKABLE. I haven't enjoyed most of his output since those first two films, but only titles like his misguided LAST AIRBENDER and the truly terrible THE HAPPENING are deserving of such low marks. I've seen a few real one star movies, and SPLIT isn't one of them. It's definitely worthy of higher marks. I can only assume those who didn't like it are trying to lower the average rather than rank it realistically somewhere closer to 4 or 5 stars (although I'd rank it higher).

It's a lot of fun. James MacAvoy is great in a subgenre that is normally pretty insipid (ie dissociative identity disorder movies). He deliveres a great performance that really helps to carry this film, and Betty Buckley also gives a notably outstanding performance in her supporting role.

Is it as good as THE SIXTH SENSE? No. Is it worth seeing? Absolutely. I'd happily see it again.

As for those reviewers who are upset that movies like this distort the public perceptions about mental illness, I can only assume they are too close to that subject to be truly objective.
91 out of 134 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Love that he's back!
catalinapoliczer25 July 2018
M.Night Shyamalan is one of those filmmakers that you either love or hate, and I definitely love his work. However, I stopped watching him after the Happening, (which was really quite a terrible movie. No comment on The Last Airbender).

This is such a wonderful comeback. His ability to totally freak you out without being terrifying; to keep you fascinated, yet completely confused, it's all just so much fun! Not sure how his films can be so slow yet so gripping and FUN!

This one is bang on. The cinematography is wonderful, the story is intense and gripping. Not to mention that James Macavoy is bang on (what a great performance, love Joaquin Phoenix, but not sure he would have been quite so awesomely intense as Macavoy was).

I highly recommend this film to any thriller lovers and a must for any M.Night lovers (but I don't need to say that at this point now, do I). I agree it's not a horror film but it does very get under your skin. (If you found The Ring too much, don't watch this!)

However, if you loved The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable, this is a must see!!

Can't wait to see Glass.
56 out of 81 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The movie that got me interested into film!
austinfromdahood28 July 2018
Wow, this is my first review on IMDB. Let's start off with the movie that got me interested into film, and that movie is Split. I remember being 13 years old, sitting on my couch a few nights before halloween. I wanted to watch a horror film, so I browsed on the "Free Movies" section on Xfinity Demand. I scrolled down the page, and my eyes everted to Split. I read the plot synopsis, and I really liked the concept and watching the film for the first time was one of the best movie watching experiences I've ever had. I was glued to my seat the whole time watching the film and it genuinely scared me. I noticed how the movie builds suspense and I also paid attention to the interesting camera angles the cinematographer chose to shot. After watching the film, I was excited to watch more M. Night Shyamalan films, and that eventually built my love for film. James Mcavoy in this film has an oscar worthy performance, playing 23 different personalities. Anya Taylor Joy also had a very good performance in this film and she played a very interesting character. The techniques for building and showing suspense was masterful in this movie, and the cinematography in this film was golden. The story in this film was also very investing, and its twist and turns are very fun. At first I didn't understand the twist ending, but after browsing the internet, I found out it involved a character from Unbreakable, and watching that movie was also a treat. I'm 14 years old right now, and my passion for film will live on! Split is one of my favorite films of all time and it is a film I will always love.
56 out of 87 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A great suspense story, with a standout performance by Mr McEvoy
max117418 November 2016
A welcome return to form for the director and James McEvoy gives one of his finest performances. I am not sure how many actors could achieve what he has executed so well here and one wonders if the film could have worked at the highest level without him. In between some of his bigger studio choices he has chosen challenging or interesting roles no matter how the films turn out and his range and talent always keep surprising but he takes it to another level here.

I won't reveal too much about the film as others will do that, except to say it was a great film to watch in the theater, full of suspense and in some ways quite touching and meaningful, even if you do or don't like the final twists you'll be drawn in to this story and on the edge of your seat in more of a suspense mode.

I wasn't sure if the film would go beyond a typical kidnapping film in the first five minutes but I can assure you its completely different to any expectations you'll have despite the director putting some of his more traditional touches on the film towards the end of it which really work in this case. I've always liked his earlier films as they often look at human conditions or flaws with imagination and some of his films have fallen short but he sounds like he's become more open minded and enjoying his work returning to form so well here and all I can say is well done, he has great attention to detail and gives his all.

This is a great film if you want an original suspense/thriller go and see it. I was sorry to see a review that put this film down, those reviews are off the mark this time round in my opinion I hope there is more to come from the M Night daring to be different again, his lower budget work is outstanding and easily brings out his best storytelling.

James McEvoy you've smashed it here and given you're all it was worth the risk, keep taking them! Having attended the Q&A he comes across a decent humble man which I would think gives his performances such resonance and skill. Also a great performance from Anya Taylor Joy she's a talent as well. Go see the see the film, especially in the threatre on a big screen it will have you on the edge of your seat.
382 out of 670 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Split continues Shyamalan's upward trend, but still not hitting greatness.
TheMovieDiorama27 February 2018
Ahhhhhh I am so disappointed with this! I really wanted to love it, it ticks all the right boxes for a decent thriller. Yet somehow Shyamalan missed the mark. It's not bad, in fact it's crafted intricately...just not great. A man with 23 different personalities abducts three young girls as he prepares to unleash the 24th personality that dominates the others. This is extremely difficult to review. For every positive outcome there is a negative to counteract it. For example: Kevin's internal survival against the other personalities was an intriguing and compelling concept. However, the enthralling psychological analysis was negated by the stupidity of this whole 24th personality that is able to physically change Kevin. A thought provoking theme is decimated by an unrealistic concept in an attempt to be dramatic. It didn't need to be! The first act was going so well with interesting ideas that Shyamalan clearly has an interest in. His focus on this multiple personality disorder shows in the film. Patient and psychologist conversations take place that explains Kevin's fractured mind. Then it constantly shifts to the thriller aspect where these three young girls are trying to escape from a sinister location. It's not exciting. At all. These girls aren't put in any real danger or hardly attempt to flee so what's the point? They just exist for the finale which as a result makes the film absurdly boring. These girls are lifeless. Except Taylor-Joy's character who actually has some decent backstory, told through flashbacks. Split is a tool for James McAvoy to showcase multiple fantastic performances. Genuinely creepy and unnerving. His ability to automatically switch characters was faultless and found him to be highly enjoyable. Also like the final scene which harks back to a certain film which I shall not name. I look forward to future prospects. But in the end, Split was a failed attempt at a thriller but an intriguing psychological drama. It's unfortunate the two just didn't blend for me.
51 out of 80 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Split not only has Shyamalan back on the saddle but also rewards fans for their patience in his return to form.
LloydBayer6 February 2017
What a terrific comeback for Shyamalan! Many have been vocal that horror writer-director M. Night Shyamalan has been on a downward spiral after having peaked with Unbreakable, his very own superhero origins film. Split sees the continuation of Shyamalan's tryst with the supernatural but also a long awaited rhetoric that this filmmaker was merely waiting for the right moment to resurface. While his last film - The Visit - was predictable but entertaining, Split underscores his storytelling prowess with the high level of creativity that made him a household name in contemporary horror.

Yet fans will concur that Split isn't just a comeback either, rather a tactical setup of Shyamalan's very own cinematic universe. Put literally, the film is about a person with multiple personalities where each personality speaks collectively in full awareness of the rest. Although main character Kevin is said to exhibit 23 personalities, we see just a handful during most of the film. There's Barry, a New York fashionista, Hedwig, a goofy 9-year-old, and darker personalities Patricia and Dennis. Calling themselves The Horde, the latter two have influenced the abduction of three high school girls as a ritualistic sacrifice for the 24th personality often referred to as "The Beast". The girls have limited time before The Beast is unleashed and although paralysed by fear, their escape depends on protagonist Casey's (Anya Taylor-Joy) proactive deconstruct of the good and evil personalities that reside in Kevin. To her advantage and through revelatory flashbacks, we learn that this wouldn't be the first time Casey would confront a monster.

If Edward Norton's dual personalities was chilling in his debut film Primal Fear, wait till you get a load of James McAvoy in what is simply an outstanding performance of versatility (or should I say two dozen performances in one film?). More than just a demanding role to pull off, McAvoy's broad range in this film has also elevated what could have been a familiar antagonist into a nerve wrecking supervillain. Which is why Shyamalan's so called signature twist ending is almost astounding. To be honest there isn't an actual twist in the story, but the ending is an unexpected but seamless integration into a sort of trilogy that will have most viewers gob smacked. It's an inside joke and almost as if Shyamalan is asking if we have you been watching closely, but also an extremely rewarding Easter egg for every true fan of the man. Welcome back Mr. Shyamalan!
178 out of 331 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
And I Thought M. Night Shyamalan Was Loosing His Touch.
When this film made it's first debut I was hesitant on seeing it because I thought M. Night Shyamalan had lost his touch a bit but right when I thought everything was over for M. Night being one of my favorite directors/producers I just up and decided to give him one more chance with "Split" and I'm so glad I did. This was classic M. Night all the way from the twists and the unpredictable story-line to the scares and the edge of your seat thrills. This is just a great horror/thriller played out as a far fetched psychological thriller. It's well written and the plot is laid out perfectly to the end and If you like older M. Night films you will definitely enjoy this one.
61 out of 108 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
McAvoy at his best....
Mohsin-ci5 April 2017
This is by far the best psychological thriller I have seen since Silence of the Lambs. McAvoy is amazing, the plot, the direction, the suspense everything keeps you on your toes from the beginning till the end. I would recommend this to everyone who has a sense of watching a real cinema.
35 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You will be talking about this movie for days
Sleepin_Dragon1 February 2017
Whether you've enjoyed or loathed the last few movies from M Night Shyamalan I don't think any of us could disagree the talent is still there, and after a few misfires comes Split. I can say unequivocally that this is the best thing I have watched in a long time time.

The first thing I think this film will be remembered for is the stellar performance of lead actor James Mcavoy, a wonderfully charismatic and talented actor, I'm sure most of us adore, I feel here he's announced himself as a serious contender for mega roles. His ability to switch from one persona to another, to be dark, sinister, camp, soft, cute etc. is incredible, people sat around me watching the movie were stunned at how good he was. The Dennis, Hedwig and Patricia characters in particular show his total versatility.

A brilliant supporting cast, Betty Buckley did a fantastic job as Kevin's doctor, as did the trio of girls, Anya Taylor-Joy I thought was especially good.

I make it sound like he's the only reason to see the film, far from it, the opening is gripping, the story itself so chilling, and the ending a real surprise.

I implore you, see this in the cinema.
36 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An OK resurrection from Shyamalan!
joecar55551 August 2017
Splits first 45 minutes are the best part of this movie with an intriguing look into the split personalities of Kevin, played by the excellent James McAvoy. It's within the small details of characterisation that astounds to still prove McAvoy as one of the best actors of this generation. His talent in being able to intertwine characters together is magnificent. Kevin and his 23 personalities respond well to Dr. Fletcher (Casey Cooke) who provides a great supporting role.

This can not be stated about the Girls, they almost feel like a gimmick at times to keep your heart pounding. The movies aim in scaring is also unsatisfactory, hardly ever making the audience jump out of their skin. The overall story arc also slows terribly down in the last 30 minutes with some fundamental errors in storytelling almost dragging on too long. The dialogue in scenes, partially with the girls also seems a little trashy, I don't feel like Shyamalan captured these roles as well as Kevin and Dr. Fletcher.

The score throughout the film keeps tensions a high but costume design feels a little rough around the edges. With constant swapping of personalities comes new costumes but at times characters don't adhere to what they are wearing which can occasionally become messy. Set design is also OK especially compared with the other recent Sci-fi, underground basement movie, 10 Cloverfield Lane.

Overall, it is one of Shymalans finest films but still has many underlining problems especially with pacing and dialogue.

11 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not Perfect But Good
AndreVeasey15 February 2018
I will start off by saying this film was in no way perfect. There were some instances where I wondered what will this all lead to. Many people I hear who dislike the film is because of the personalities being violent. To be honest, the only personalities that are shown to be somewhat violent is Dennis and The Beast. Dennis doesn't do anything violent either. As seen in this film the personalities were actually funny, kind, and artistic however there were events that lead to some personalities believing it what's known as The Beast. The acting by James McAvoy was excellent. The plot was probably the only thing that was a little confusing. This is a great thriller film with some flaws but its entertaining in which I believe the director did good. I'm not anticipating his next film as I am others but I'm interested in seeing his next film.
27 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
James McAvoy!!
baileycrawly15 March 2020
Every now and then, a Hollywood actor comes out and does the seemingly impossible. In Split, James McAvoy brilliantly portrays a man with multiple personalities, providing a distinct portrayal for each and every character. They truly are their own entities existing within his body, and it's fantastic. The premise of this movie is simple. A troubled man with multiple personalities kidnaps three young women and holds them hostage as they try to escape, warming up to the character's friendlier personalities and trying to trick the less cooperative. It was fun and creepy without heavy reliance on jump scares, which is refreshing for the horror genre. There are also a few moments that are genuinely quite humorous. M. Night Shyamalan was always a hit-or-miss director for me, but this was an amazing movie.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A one man show
rohamalian18 December 2020
We need more of James McAvoy on the silver screen that's for sure. He plays the role of a person with MPD (multiple personality disorder) and he plays the role(s) so darn well. The movie is the second in a trilogy of an adult comic series and comparing it to it's older brother (Unbreakable 2000) it's more refined and perhaps with a more interesting plot.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Split: I don't get it.....
Platypuschow15 January 2019
I wasn't going to watch Split, I only changed my mind upon learning it was connected to Unbreakable and I'd really need to watch it before Glass (2019) is released. Watching the trailer it just didn't look like something that would appeal to me and I'm far from being a fan of Shyamalan.

Critically acclaimed it tells the story of......you know what, I'll skip that part as it's become so famous everyone already knows.

Starring James McAvoy in yet another great performance and Anya Taylor-Joy a very promising young actress who already has a very impressive resume I walked away from Split happier than I expected but still not impressed.

Have you ever finished a movie, scratched your head and simply questioned what the point of it all was? Like it was somehow incomplete and without the missing elements there just didn't seem to be any point to its existence? Well that's how I felt here, it was full of great performances and a couple of neat ideas but little else.

I walked away intrigued but unsatisfied. I very much hope Glass pulls it altogether.

The Good:

Interesting concept

Strong performances

The Bad:

Feels incomplete

Doesn't even remotely live up to the hype
8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A twisty, tense thriller that doubles as a superb showcase for McAvoy's talents
sossevarvo12 January 2017
Shyamalan's inconsistencies as a director are decidedly ignominious. He spellbound us with The Sixth Sense, but soon after befuddled with lady in the Water, provoked derisive jeers with The Happening, and merely bored us with The Last Airbender and After Earth. The pared back horror of The Visit signalled a renaissance for the auteur, with its genuinely frightening aesthetic, and even a decent Shyamalan twist! But, armed with what seems to be a more significant budget, and far more loopy creative ambition, Split is Shyamalan's true calling card to what hopefully is a far more fortuitous run of features. Using the disorder of DID, and a true story (!), to create its bonkers premise, McAvoy plays Kevin, a man who possesses 23 distinct personalities, some of which are male and some of which are female, some of which are young, and some of which are old, some of which are homosexual and some of which are heterosexual, some of which have OCD or require insulin for diabetes, and some of which are really rather volatile and dangerous. The catch? The 24th is about to arrive, with all hell set to break loose. If this sounds like an actor's dream job, you're right. With the opportunity to flex his acting muscles to the nth degree, all-accent-changing, mannerism-altering McAvoy rises to the challenge with a performance of breathtaking versatility. The film around him is never quite as reliable as this towering performance, however. The plot functions between an incredibly tense kidnapping/hostage situation and a doctor who purports to be an expert of DID. While eventually serving a narrative purpose, in the early scenes, Shyamalan's switching to this doctor's narrative grinds the movie to something of a halt, leaving you longing for the far more interesting story to develop and ultimately resolve. That being said, the movie never bores for a second, thanks to Shyamalan's distinctive style and an ominous score, as well as Anya Taylor Joy, so impressive in The Witch, who proves she isn't a one trick pony. In addition, like THe Visit, Split is, unexpectedly, quite funny, in a way that never sacrifices tension, but rather serves to enhance it by catching you off guard with scares when you're recovering from a bizarre joke - it's a terrific tactic that serves the film well. Most worthy of recommendation is the film's third act, which evolves into something genuinely terrifying and ferociously tense, as twist upon twist piles up to create a thrilling sense of chaos and dread. Less convincing are Shyamalan's repeated attempts at motifs of beasts and animals, which feel shoehorned in and unnecessary. Despite al this, Split is a worthy work from Shyamalan that will deliver a jolt of high octane thrills to your nerves, one which will certainly be needed in the doldrums of the January dumping ground of films.
60 out of 120 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I really don't understand where the hate is coming from
mikedegroot25 June 2018
Seriously. This movie is so good and I don't get why everyone is hating on it. James McAvoy's acting is Oscar worthy. The story is very solid and I really liked the ending. I honestly think people are just jumping on the "anti-Shyamalan" bandwagon. This could have been the best movie ever made and there would be all these people here crapping all over it. I don't get it. Just watch this movie for what it is and not who directed it and you'll really enjoy it.
14 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mentally ill people are not a horror movie plot
animupizza28 January 2017
Tired old trope of using a person with a mental illness as a plot for a scary movie. Unoriginal, and ableist.

Mental illness, especially misunderstood illnesses like dissociative identity disorder, are incredibly stigmatized in our society. They're often seen as scary, and the people suffering from them are often labeled as dangerous, making it difficult for them to receive help and support. Movies like "Split" further this stigma.

There is very little media representation for people with DID, many people don't know much of anything about the illness, so when movies present it as something that makes people dangerous, others have no reason not to take this as a fact.

In reality, people with DID are not abusers, but people who themselves have been abused. DID is an illness that develops after long term exposure to trauma occurring before the person turned nine years old. It develops because the trauma is too much for the young person's brain to handle, so their personality "splits" off into different parts, so that they don't have to. Movies show these alters as violent, but really, people with DID are usually only a danger to themselves. Showcasing them as the kind of people who would kidnap and abuse teenage girls is a gross inaccuracy, that again, wouldn't matter so much if it wasn't basically the only media representation of this illness.

Because of the belief that these people are violent and dangerous, not only is it difficult for them to find support, but societal biases are often internalized.

Mentally ill people are not violent abusers. But the stigma furthered by these movies contributes to the belief that they are. Mentally ill people need support, they need to be normalized, they do not need any more horror movies that use them as the scary abuser. I hope that in the future we can move past movies like this, and towards acceptance. Mentally ill people deserve better.
206 out of 470 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Beast, the Manifestion
spaceashwin10 October 2017
I think Split is one of the best Psychological thriller movies in the past few years. I'm not sure if it has comparisons with other thrillers but would rather say that the idea is indeed very interesting. Look at Mrs. Fletcher who tries to convince the audience at the conference that the human mind has evolved to a different stage. Shyamalan pushes this concept even further saying that if there are a set of personalities to explore then the final outcome reachable would be something supernatural which in this case is the Beast. The creation of the personalities, if is a result of the childhood trauma then the idea of a super powered being is something which contradicts the concept of the capability of the human mind. Since the devil lives on after being hit by two bullets( and in this case Shyamalan is not trying to show that there are only two bullets for Casey but the magnitude of destruction that can be caused by the bullets) there is direct reference to something beyond being human. Even if this is one of the finest interpretations out there for Splitm the Director fails to explain indirectly why there is a difference in approach the 23 personalities have towards humans and the approach of the Beast.Are the personalities functionalities for the beast? The use of the spray versus the kill?. Why does the devil need Humans? Is it some kind of vengeance that would actually improve lives of people like Kevin or the beast? I say this because Dennis and Patricia are trying to protect Kevin. Kevin seems to have gone through a childhood trauma so whatever is trying to protect him is not doing so against the devil. All this holds true if the 23 personalities manifest to the beast or like how I said reaches out and becomes the beast. What is the beast trying to accomplish? Will the next sequel 'the Glass' have answers to this? If it had to leave out people like Casey who had been tortured at a young age there is definitely something the beast is trying to prove by killing the impure. Why does it kill Mrs. Fletcher? Is the devil a manifestation of only that kind of emotion related to child abuse? Is that some kind of ideal the beast is trying to put forth? If Barry, Dennis and the others are the outcome of the child abuse and the beast is its final form ,is killing a cure to the angst and anger within Kevin? These are questions that need to be explained! One thing is sure that not all the personalities are aware of the beast. Do the killings by the beast and the protection of Kevin have any kind of relation? In the end I feel the beast lives on the mind of people like Kevin (not all the personalities ) who strangely/accidentally accept the devil with a different set of ideas(Dennis and Patricia take control of Kevin's life-"we are in control") which in turn helps the beast to live and spread itself farther.

14 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Multiple Personality Galore !!
CIDMoosa7 June 2018
12 years back at Sreekumar theatre Trivandrum , I was going berserk over Chiyaan Vikram's multiple personality magnum opus Anniyan - and all of a sudden James McAvoy has outweighed that very specific standard of enactment with his once in a life time role in Split. Manoj Nelliate Shyamalan, that Indian prodigy who made sixth sense and sunk into oblivion with a chain of duds subsequently has made a magnificent riposte! Split sees the prolongation of Shyamalan's assignation with the supernatural but also a long anticipated rhetoric that this filmmaker was merely waiting for the right moment to rematerialize. The film deals majorly with a person sustaining 23 different personalities within himself of which a 24th one is about to surface. Resting heavily on the lead actor who has done a magnificent job, the screenplay sways between his distinctive dispositions, transitioning from an OCD patient to a psycho woman and to a 9 year old boy, amongst 18 other manifestations. 3 girls are abducted by one of these personas and made to wait for the appearance of the last one before they should try and escape him. Living up to his expectations, Shyamalan has created a proficiently hewed psychological thriller which is darkly amusing. Very much commended for an exhilarating watch..
13 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.