DriverX (2017) Poster

(2017)

I took a seat in the back and went along for the ride. Great trip!
hirvine-740578 November 2017
I immediately felt engaged with the characters and their struggle. As I rooted for the antagonist, I also felt like I was getting a glimpse into a life I had wondered about. It felt voyeuristic and was very satisfying, the arc of the story is believable and genuine. Patrick Fabian was fantastic as was Tanya Clarke. Another pleasant surprise was Desmin Borges as Tom; his affable depiction of a partying yet family man passenger was a joy. His relationship on screen with Fabian is funny and heartwarming. There is truth in the conflict the Moore's experience in their marriage, it's compelling to witness.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fantastic Film
s_kiesel-2587915 August 2018
This movie has a great story because it's not some fantasy about marriage and kids. The film portrays a married couple and the real struggle of making ends meet when jobs are scarce and ageism is real. I think a marriage works best when each individual has clearly defined roles in the labor and financial well being of the family. What happens when that gets thrown out the window and the man can't "Bring home the bacon?" How do couples redefine what commitment and love means when the foundation crumples? Yes, this is a movie about a man who drives but it's so much more and well worth the journey to see how it unfolds. The actors are great and very sympathetic. You'll find yourself understanding both view points and routing for them to make it. And that's a great film.
Fantastic Film - touching, real, fun
Jperez-996-3950097 August 2018
Got to see this gem at the Woods Hole Film Festival the first week of August. Patrick Fabian and every single actor on screen give amazing, charismatic, embodied performances. The cinematography is really fantastic - covering LA in a very cool, non-cliche and non-derivative way. Some of the supporting characters - especially Tom - who becomes an Uber Regular client- provide some of the best ensemble character work I've seen in a long time. Henry Barrial did a fantastic job, and the montages and music are fantastic - a score that is perfect for what we see - reminiscent - in a way, of Garden State.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It was me in the driver's seat !
backofournapkin27 July 2018
Yes, I was absolutely engaged with several characters just as the other review stated. Such a great slice of contemporary LA portraying a family man and struggles at this stage of life! Real world fun and drama. Well-acted, well written! Awesome to have both Henry and Mark at the Riverrun International Film Festival venue (Winston-Salem, NC) !
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
SIMPLY AWSOME!!! I laughed and cried! My Favourite film of the year.
sella-308227 July 2018
I had the chance to watch this WONDERFUL movie at RiverRun Filmfestival in NC and SIMPLY LOVED it. I was laughing, I was crying. This film is hilariously funny and deeply moving. Henry Barrial has done a stunning job, both in directing and writing. Being a filmmaker myself, I could emphathize extremly well. But the story works for everyone, I'm sure. Briliant actors, brilliant narration. Beautifully photographed and edited. I'm from Germany, and since coming back from North Carolina I have been hassling friends and collagues with my strong emotionas about this film, they all want to see it now:-). When will it be released in Germany??? Alexandra Sell, Berlin
Moms and Dads can relate
tanglewoodmoms3 April 2018
This film captures marital relationships that happen when small children are involved perfectly. The shine has worn off - the young kids are still needy - and the sh*t hits the fan with family finances. DriverX commentary on the brave new world of the digital frontier is spot on as well. We're still in its infancy, but we are all still very human and it shows. Oh boy does it show! P.S. Millennials are walking around like they rent the place.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Driver X is worth the ride
lindaroxie1 September 2018
The main character in "Driver X", Leonard, cares for his young children by day and drives the drunken, neon reflected nightlife in Los Angeles afterhours in his super clean Prius after his wife returns home from her day job. If you have ever taken a ride sharing vehicle, with its unwritten rules, you can see how fish out water 50ish Leonard is in the age of apps and downloads, replacing the familiar vinyl and old style rock he cherishes from his family, now defunct, record store days.

Patrick Fabian of "Better Call Saul" plays a very real man, an honest man, caught in a new world that does not value what he brings to the table. Out of touch with new music he fails to fit into the new marketing world, despite his hipster hat and enthusiasm. Fabian and his movie wife, Tanya Clarke, portray a couple frayed by their diminishing finances. Desperate to provide for his family, and return his self esteem, he drives. Both actors bring depth to their rolls, and provide a good deal of empathy from the movie audience. It feels like a real couple, not a movie marriage.

There are two stories here, the marriage at home and the strangers/passengers who enter his Driver X world. What a wild ride of passengers it is too, based on the notes of former driver Henry Barriel, Between jobs he drove, and smartly turned his experiences into an engaging movie. Good job Henry.

In a small stand out roll Heather Ankeny of "Criminal Minds", plays a woman Leonard knows, Bad luck of the rider app has her as a passenger in Leonard's car. She delivers a wordless aha moment that will catch you by surprise as each recognizes the other. When two wordless actors can make you feel that moment, that uncomfortable cringing, it is special.

There are many fine performances beside the leads and a few celebrity riders including Melissa Fumero of "Brooklyn Nine-Nine", Oscar Nunez of "The Office" and Max Gail of "Barney Miller",

This movie will take you on a ride that is unexpected, never predictable. "Driver X" will have you laugh and be a little sad. Catch it while we still have drivers using their own cars to ferry us around, just trying to make a living
Enjoy the ride!
lisashankins20 August 2018
Unexpectedly worthwhile film detailing the strengths and strains in a modern-day marriage in a major American city. Patrick Fabian, a favorite from "Better Call Saul" plays Leonard, whose joy in life and his work was the record store he owned for so many years that he feels like he doesn't know how to do anything else. He decides to take a job driving for a new service, and in the course of that, learns more about his city and its inhabitants than maybe he really cares to know. However, he gets into a groove with the job and, though his wife seems to want more, he IS making progress...and friends! Both the lead roles here are extremely nuanced and amazing to watch this husband and wife navigate a difficult time. Funny, touching, an exploration of modern-day life and its joys and obstacles.
A Film With Cult Quality
kaysmythe3 April 2018
DriverX is the sort of indie movie that defines the genre. The representation of each character is scarily true to life, and will make you reconsider the reality of what is the new American home. Either knowingly or not, the team behind DriverX have created a film that will likely be the most accurate representation of the time, without hyperbole, fantasy, or any of the typical frills one finds in blockbuster garbage. Not only is DriverX a great piece of escapism, but I'll probably end up showing it to my future children as a means of explaining what life was like when I was a young Millennial, and all of my friends were Gen Xers. Excellent stuff! 10/10.

ps - as a sociology, this film is like watching the human condition... so great.
Immersive
hollarog24 January 2018
The film really shows the discrepancies between middle-aged and millennial culture. Hilarious and really pulls you in, and leaves you feeling like you understand the world and people a little better.
An amazing ride!!
helloyonny16 November 2017
I had the pleasure of watching Henry Barrial's DriverX on the big screen at Orlando Film Festival with an audience, the way it should be watched. The shared gasps, laughs and applause made the experience that much better. The film follows Leonard Moore, wonderfully portrayed by Better Call Saul's Patrick Fabian, as he drives passengers via an Uber-like driving service throughout the less flashy neighborhoods of Los Angeles at night. Fabian has perfected the family man in a midlife crisis role. Leonard is likable and relatable yet most importantly, realistic. Sometimes he doesn't make the right choices, but Fabian delicately sells the performance as to leave more subjectivity for the audience to decide which choice is in fact the correct one. The film is full of realistic vignettes of the eclectic batch of people that ride in Leonard's car. Drunks, snobby rich kids, the working-class, a questionable neighbor and a partying, yet warmhearted married man who lets off some steam at the local strip club. Leonard isn't doing this for fun, but for financial stability. After his vinyl collection becomes obsolete, and also his taste (millennials have taken over in this world), Leonard resorts to DriverX. This leads to friction at home between him and his wife, although their arguments never become melodramatic. Everything is grounded here. Everything is believable. Even at the lowest point, there are gestures that reflect real life as opposed to a sensationalized drama. At times, I felt like I was watching a reality show about the crazies who ride a taxi service at night, and I mean this in the best possible way. This is not to say the film lacks cinematic appeal. The production value is as high as any other film from Hollywood, with just a bit more class and nuance to set it apart.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worth seeing, entertaining, funny and suspenseful!
bendischinger4 November 2017
DriverX gives an entertaining and realistic glimpse into the life of a ride-sharing driver. The movie is a collage of interesting encounters and conflicts of culture, generation, and personalities. Music plays a central role in the film, and the soundtrack fills the part.

The film shows the young adult tech-savvy generation as being self- engrossed, unintelligent, and rude. This feels a bit off balanced, but may be accurate from the driver's perspective.

Life and relationships are portrayed in a way that feels authentic. When one path through life closes, the inspiration for taking another path usually comes from an unexpected source.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.