Deadwood: The Movie (TV Movie 2019) Poster

(2019 TV Movie)

Brilliant & touching
mhorg20181 June 2019
This movie, a brilliant & touching send off to one of the best series ever aired, is like a study on how to write a finale. Every character has a prime moment, the story flows beautifully and it's full of comedy, pathos & action. It makes me wonder how HBO let some shows go on well past their due date and ended this prematurely. Congratulations to all involved for giving the fans the best send off anyone could expect and more.
334 out of 389 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thanks HBO
Malice_Unarmed1 June 2019
Just wanted to say thanks to HBO, I doubt this was overly profitable but you made a lot of fans happy instead. Great ending to a beloved series.
182 out of 222 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the BEST ever series on TV
Harbour1841 June 2019
Finally, we returned to Deadwood! My family has been waiting for this for SOO Long...we felt like we were attending a family reunion after being away for 10 years...this is the most perfect ending to a perfect series...every once in a while in the movie industry, all actors, actresses, plot, scenery, director & writer come together to make an unforgettable, magical work of art....this is DEADWOOD. The characters have aged but the magnificent prose that each espoused years ago is still as familiar as old slippers....The end was very much like attending the funeral of a beloved relative....too bad there will never be another masterpiece like this show!
185 out of 230 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A brief visit, and,..... we're out the door.
Rob-O-Cop2 June 2019
Fantastic to have one last chance to visit these wonderfully rendered characters, listen to the language and lines, and get a feel for the time period again. An amazing job to get them all back together again and carry on like nothing had passed, except time, and it is not lost on us what a privilege and major feat it was to make that happen, although it shouldn't have been so in the first place, thank you to all involved who pushed this through, diverting budget from another hollow reality show with no meaning, into something of artistic merit, which this most certainly is.

To the actual movie/episode; the story was almost secondary to giving the characters some forward movement, and closure, to see how they had carried on with their lives, learned to live with each other etc etc, and the plot did feel kind of secondary to that, ie baddie did something bad, and is found out, case closed etc.

Seeing Swearingen age and Succumb to life was a core feature of this episode, but there was so much to fit into such a small space, but so thankful they did. It should be more, why isn't it?
86 out of 106 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Never wrote a review before but my passion for the series and how I felt after this episode inspired me
stockmarketashton1 June 2019
Blown away, this is my favorite tv series of all time and the best hbo has ever been along with The Wire. I was crying, laughing, shaking, swearing, and feeling so many other emotions throughout the movie that I am exhausted. This was the perfect send of, and every series who is looking to satisfy there fans should follow suit. True to the characters and true to the essence of Deadwood. Thank you for this show as there will never be anything else like it.
174 out of 222 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great sendoff but wanting more.
parkerzielinski1 June 2019
Great to see one of the best series on hbo or all of tv for that matter getting a proper sendoff. But, I can't help but to want to see what happens now. Hopefully I am not alone and we can get a second movie or mini series.
127 out of 168 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Now that's a finale!
mdesrosiers-281521 June 2019
Mmm...maybe these guys should have written and directed the Game of Thrones attempt... It's been what..13...years..and it feels like the story never left you. You get sucked right back into this world that you never wanted to leave in the first place.. Unbelievable writing, directing, acting, cinematography....all of it and more...excellent. Maybe a little on the sentimental side, it still had enough of the dark to be 'Deadwood'. It was a well spent couple of hours and I highly recommend it to any fan of the series.
118 out of 161 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Deadwood
jay-363345 June 2019
Although I did enjoy the movie, I did so mainly because I loved the series and was happy to revisit with the characters after so many years. But, I have to say that I was disappointed. As for many Deadwood viewers, I loved the Swearengen character. McShane really stole the series. That's why I was disappointed in a movie where he's reduced to a character completely lacking the personality shown throughout the series.

And while I have no complaint with the character, or actress, the amount of time spent on Calamity Jane was completely out of proportion relative to her role during the series.
74 out of 102 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The wait was worth it
Jennifer1381 June 2019
I have watched Deadwood many times over and waited in anticipation for this movie. I truly was not disappointed. It was unfortunate that a few characters were missing (due to death and other committments) however it was perfect. It did not feel like years had passed since the final series episode ended. I cried and I laughed but most of all I wanted it to never end.
87 out of 130 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
finally! And beautifully done!!
Marianne21401 June 2019
Just finished watching, it was a joy to see these actors again in these roles. I hope it was as much a labor of love for them in measure to the joy it gave us to view the reunion of the characters they portrayed. I'm sure we'll be watching it many times over! Great writing! great acting !
77 out of 116 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Could have been so much more.
fad-387981 June 2019
Based on my opinion of the excellent series I wanted to rate this so much higher.

The performances are great, the production values high, dialogue and humour good and delivered well.

Unfortunately the plot, or what passes for a plot feels so contrived. Too much packed into 2 hours ruins the pace and impacts on the delivery. No subtlety, no flavour. It's not the Deadwood I remembered so fondly.

At the end I felt like I'd watched a Christmas Special of an average drama.
120 out of 187 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Underwhelmed
Jamie_Seaton4 June 2019
One of the greatest series of all time gets a tired finishing film! I absolutely loved the program but this just felt forced! We should of got a final season, not an 1h50m of scattered stories which just seemed uninteresting in my opinion...

It was fun seeing the characters back together though

When I go back to watching the first three seasons again I won't be adding the film to the rewatch. Pretty disappointing.
94 out of 148 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointing. Actors recite lines instead of emoting them. Talky and dull.
msghall10 June 2019
I loved the series but this movie has little of the spontaneous magic that propelled the show. Like the Coens with "Buster Scruggs," director Milch seems to be in love with his script and its interpretation of the vernacular of the times, not paying sufficient attention to direction and emotion. It's all very calculated and pat; the jokes no longer sting, the feelings expressed no longer resonate. It's just a bunch of talk. It all seems like the first day of read through where the actors are trying to find their characters and relate to other characters. Even McShane's Swearengen swearing seems flat this go round. At least we have Trixie!
40 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Expected More
wisneskilife1 June 2019
As a huge Deadwood fan, I marked my calendar for the Deadwood movie in order to see how everything wrapped up. Unfortunately, it took almost an hour for anything substantive to happen story-wise. Also, the guiding plot line seemed weak. There were a couple of moments of true Deadwood excitement, but these moments were ruined by Al's newfound blandness and weakness. Deadwood's strong point had always been dynamic characters and interesting plots. Neither existed here. I felt let down and like after all these years in hiatus, I deserved more.
98 out of 164 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What happened?
jeffblythfilm2 June 2019
Nice to see the old gang, but OMG, what hath Milch wrought? The characters have all the same dialogue now, the words of Shakespeare and the syntax of Yoda.
105 out of 178 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolutely Perfect
bshaef1 June 2019
Movie was absolutely perfect in its execution. It seemed like time passed in the blink of an eye. Thank you HBO and writers and directors and actors and cinematographers for providing me two hours of grade A entertainment. It was also a great tear jerker at the end.
74 out of 124 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great, but feels forced.
isis32401 June 2019
Love the series and like the way the movie ties up the story. The characters are great and their personalities have not been lost. My only complaint is that the dialog seemed forced and at times like the actors were reading the script for the first time.
59 out of 98 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved the series but...
MagicMurderFan2 June 2019
This sucked. The flowery dialogue gave me a headache. Too much, trying too hard. Same story, same players, but a very unclear storyline. Just, meh.
92 out of 159 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
How does this show exist?!
motlryan1 June 2019
I just finished my first watchthrough of the series Deadwood this morning. Right before the film came out. I am astounded that I missed something this incredible. You come for the western setting and you stay for the expertly crafted characters and the slow burn compelling story. This film is the absolute perfect send off of the characters, though only being around for 36 episodes, make you feel like you've known them all your life. A master class of conclusions.
56 out of 93 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
How The West Was Lost
By-TorX-125 September 2019
I loved the original series of Deadwood and was mighty happy to see its return in a movie format, but I now wish it had not rode back into town. On one level, it was lovely to see the strong characters back in the saddle, but the media culture of 2019 is not the same as that of 2004. As such, the searing edge and brutality of the TV series is notably lacking in the film. Furthermore, while Seth Bullock still has his swagger and slings the six-shooter with consummate skill (although not very often), many of the other characters are mere reflections of their previous selves, most notably (and tragically) the magisterial Al Swearengen. Where once he was ruthless (but always charming), now he is passive, and most often is little more than a spectator from the balcony of The Gem. Moreover, the film doesn't really get anywhere and the runtime means that actresses of the calibre of Molly Parker and Anna Gunn sadly get to contribute very little to the story. In terms of the dialogue, as many other reviewers have flagged, there are whole sections of speech that are very difficult to follow, and on some occasions I just had to assume that what was said was profound. As such, while there is undoubted pleasure to see the onscreen interplay between Ian McShane and Timothy Olyphant again, I wish it had stayed in the past and that George Hearst did not return to the outpost of Deadwood. Thus, sometimes it is perhaps best to follow Don Henley's sage advice and don't look back, because you can never look back.
10 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A cast of Thousands
jimmyjoe5838 June 2019
Kudos to the producers for bringing back almost every character and the actors who portrayed them from the series which ended 13 years ago. It was good to see and probably speaks to the experience the actors had filming the series. This film, while welcome, felt thin. Some characters hardly received any screen time and fewer lines. Some of the speech was hard to appreciate during the first half of the movie (there is a whole scene early in the movie between Utter and Bullock that was unintelligible to me!) It improved greatly during the second half. I don't know if this is billed as a finale but not resolving several major plot lines leaves the possibility of another film down the road. Being "The Movie" I think the moviegoer would like to see the plots resolved and due to the fact that they weren't makes this a entertaining but ultimately dissatisfying experience.
22 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Daniel Weiss and David Benioff ... Take Note
Her-Excellency12 June 2019
Daniel Weiss and David Benioff ... Take Note: Ever hear the adage that if you don't have anything good (constructive) to say, you should remain silent? Well, better to have remained silent than to attempt to wrap up something without having a clue how to do it. ... For the proper way to do it, see Deadwood, The movie.

THIS is the way to properly end something that was once considered game-changing and essential in its field.

Beautiful, funny, moving.

"The world ends when you're dead ... Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man-and give some back." -Al Swearengen
18 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
How can anyone like this!!
batpickle-853122 June 2019
I am an avid fan of the first 3 seasons, bought them all at full price when they can out. All I can say is the story was very weak, no plot, bad acting, and the ending looked like a Hallmark Christmas movie ending..... Very disappointed...
80 out of 143 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I expected more
chrismonkee1 June 2019
It is like a one-off gig by a much loved band. All the members are there (if they aren't dead, or on other projects), singing all the songs. Nothing new here.

I kept on expecting it to actually get moving, then it finished. It is basically a 90 min version of the TV show. To call it a "movie" is a bit disingenuous, an old style TV movie if anything. This one didn't tie up any loose threads, and left plenty hanging, maybe for a new season.

Was great to see Ian Mcshane again if nothing else.
27 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Kind of a disappointment
pack_fan_dave1 June 2019
This movie really accomplished nothing. It had no story other than to watch Al Swerigen die of liver failure and Trixie have her baby, the story was pointless and solved nothing. Given the fact that they totally abandoned the actual true events of Seth Bullock for a fictional story which is fine, they would have just been better to leave the series end the way it did then tarnish it with what they made.
50 out of 88 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.