Risen (2021) Poster

(2021)

An abysmal production of a lousy script...
paul_haakonsen20 August 2021
I must admit that I was initially lured in to watching the 2021 sci-fi thriller "Risen" given the movie's poster/cover, as it seemed like something that could be interesting. And I hadn't seen the trailer for the movie, nor did I know absolutely anything about the movie that I sat down to watch.

Well, the concept of the movie was solid enough. However, the movie itself was just shoddy at best. Writer and director Eddie Arya was initially on to something here with "Risen", but the storyline quickly went astray and turned into a boring experience of grand magnitude.

I wasn't familiar with anyone on the cast list, which is normally something I tend to enjoy. However, the cast here in this movie were just not handed a proper script, nor given fulfilling characters to work with on the screen. So the outcome of the performances were lukewarm at best.

For a sci-fi movie then the effects and usage of green screen in "Risen" was just appalling to look at. For a movie made in 2021, it felt like watching something from the early 1990s. And a sci-fi movie with bad special effects or CGI is just something that is holding it back.

While I managed to endure "Risen" to the very end, I can't claim to be particularly entertained, nor having overly enjoyed the story told here by writer and director Eddie Arya. And "Risen" is by no means a movie that I would recommend you waste your time, money or effort on. Some of us did so you don't have to.

I am rating "Risen" a very generous two out of ten stars, given the movie's first quarter and the fact that there was potential to work with there.
12 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
negative, unclear, fake
NijazBaBs7 September 2021
Intro is sudden and not convincing. Graphics at some parts look like cartoon, video game, or some graphic software experimenting. Story is unclear, even at the end nothing is explained. Looks like a joke or dream or somebody's interpretation of something. Only bit good because it's magical like dream, adventurous, and presence of nature, religious mentions, and national mentions and soldiers. But very amateur and without a purpose.
Good ideas, but...
Horror_Flick_Fanatic23 August 2021
The film has some good ideas in the Alien Invasion Sci Fi thrope, but the screenplay is poorly written and to be frank, dull. Both the special effects and CG are both poor. I feel CGI should not be this bad in 2021 when an off the shelf Mac or PC can produce better effects in AfterEffects. But as I said, it had good ideas, just poorly implemented. Acting and directing wasn't good. The films score, however, is actually not bad. I think they did a good job on the score.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boring stupidity.
paulwattriley11 October 2021
I have never watched a more boring film such as this, nothing happens, its not even thought provoking. I can only suspect that Eddie Arya was high on cocaine when he wrote this and then directed it.
Half Good
gab-6759922 August 2021
This was one of those movie's where it was cold yet the actress never blow out smoke from her mouth. Or the green screen in the background just never matched up with the other shots. Oh and how they did a close up of a dead body and you could still see a pulse. Good sci-fi but flawed and you keep waiting for something to happened but when it does then it just ends. Only worth seeing if you like sci-fi movies with crappy CGI. Could have been so much more.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Apparently the best alien weapon is to rely on human incompetence.
S_Soma20 August 2021
When all is said and done, RISEN is ultimately an invaders from space movie. It is not the best rendition of this genre that I've seen, but it's certainly a reasonably competent execution.

Unlike the INDEPENDENCE DAY style of invasion consisting of overwhelming force, advanced technology and well armed alien invaders, RISEN is the "seeding" approach that starts small and vulnerable and grows to irresistibility before we earthlings figure out what's going on.

At the time of this writing there appear to be a lot of negative reviews regarding RISEN. I would contend that RISEN is a "good" movie (whatever that means) that garners a lot of viewer negativity because the success of the aliens in taking over our planet primarily derives from the efforts of a human traitor inadvertently supported by a generally widespread incompetence on the part of those authorities that would nominally be tasked with protecting humankind from such things.

There are undeniably some weak plot points in the picture and they tend to be a little infuriating because the alien's success significantly turns on these weak plot points which is intrinsically annoying to a viewer.

The events of the movie are mostly about what turns out to be the third attempt at colonization by the aliens. The first one is caught and thwarted by the Americans, and the second attempt is caught and thwarted, although kept secret, by the Russians (employing their signature shocking violence).

The third attempt, the subject of RISEN, largely succeeds because of the (somewhat) "unwitting" assistance of a traitorous woman who was "altered" and "programmed", somewhat by accident, during the course of the first failed attempt decades previously. During the course of the movie, we find out how much she has been aiding the invasion process literally all during the years of her life.

As an example of a weak plot point, one of the things the female traitor does is feed the aliens information about the nature of our planet and its location. If you think about it, this doesn't make any sense. Firstly, she appears to be using a regular radiofrequency radio and not some super advanced communication device because other people can hear her doing it on their receivers. So why didn't we track her down at the time? The aliens must've been fairly close by or else how would they have received a radio signal in anything like a usable time frame; why would the aliens need information from her? Their first attempt had already been made on the planet BEFORE they infected her as a PART of that first attempt. This suggests they already know all about earth and its location.

There are many more such easily recognizable plot holes. Enumerating them here would be more boring than I have already been.

The traitorous woman character spends most of the movie giving vacuous stares in lieu of acting, slack-jawed and mouth hanging open. There is literally NOTHING engaging about her and, speaking for myself, I had an overwhelming desire to give her a good thumping with a crowbar through the entire picture even BEFORE her thoroughly traitorous nature was fully revealed. Add that to the fact that the aliens were only successful because this traitor was allowed to operate without oversight or review by any authorities, and a movie with otherwise good quality production values becomes a disappointment.

RISEN is a worthwhile watch for science fiction fans but make sure you bring along your desktop stress-reliever toy with you because the movie will irritate.
28 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not as Bad as Everyone is Saying
scottmannen121 August 2021
I give it a six out of ten. Interesting story, definitely B-movie with limited budget. With those constraints it seems the creators did a lot with very little. Good story, slow, but still good. The protagonist is a bit of a drag, but everything else is decent.
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Watch the trailer so you don't need to watch the whole movie
suripat27 August 2021
I just watched the trailer. Gave 2 stars for the 2 minute entertainment. Everything you need to know about the movie is in there. Go see it. It's quick.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An average short story stretched into a movie
jbar1922 August 2021
A meteor lands and emits a toxic cloud that kills over 300 residents in a nearby town. A few dozen of the corpses reanimate into a frozen, zombie like state.

An disgraced and troubled exobiologist is called in by the Army to help investigate. They move one of the reanimated corpses to the meteor crash site. He comes alive and channels the thoughts of an alien who warns that his race is coming to take over the Earth.

Sounds promising, right?

This is a painfully slow and uneventful movie. I gave it a 4 only because of the few action scenes. The lead actress runs the gamut of emotions from depressed to dull and depressed.

Do you know in horror movies when the teenage kids make bad decisions while running from the serial killer? This movie has about 45 minutes of that feeling.

Unconvincing, implausible actions by the main characters and a bummer ending made me regret watching this movie.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Slow burner
akira-hideyo22 August 2021
Good concept, script, cast. But too much lag inbetween many instances, dragging the story to its anti climatic end. Story needs development. Tensions were pretty well constructed but didn't commensurate with its function for a lack lustre finale. Fairly decent scifi with too much blabbering and not enough alien action.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sorry, but no.
coex2325 August 2021
This film is aimed at 13 year old and/or sad, lonely male vets with beards, tats and more logged hours on a playstation than the average 13 year old. It's that bad.

I mean, "Terri Purchase as Dr. Thompson" kinda says it all. Most of the "actors" here have a small handful of work behind them; mostly straight to video crap. Not a film with any noticeable talent on screen. Or behind. Sigh.

This is bottom of the barrel stuff that even Ed Wood would pass on.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Descent, not great has / had potential
Dottsylove20 August 2021
Story overall is good but it could have done with a rewrite to make it great. Slow in places and should have been about 30min. Shorter to tighten things up. Acting and dialogue leaves a lot to be desired. Sort of a take on a Zombie flick but altered. Definitely an Alien film. Overall I didn't get a great feel for this movie, the potential was there but it just fell flat. It did pose an interesting question though ---If an average Joe like you and me contacted Aliens and told them to come visit would we be charged with a crime if things do not go as expected. Sorta gets cheesier as the movie progresses and feels like a "Lifetime" movie so it gets a generous 4.9.
18 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fantastic
goodalan-8219120 August 2021
Great movie thought provoking entertaining simply wonderfull.
8 out of 72 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I would give it less than 1 star if I could......
veryprivateswag21 August 2021
Sub par everything, acting, story, acting, effect, acting etc etc.

It's just bad , not even cult following bad either.....
17 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What did this movie want to accomplish?
kysta22 August 2021
I only got through about 35 mins, extremely rare occasion i give up on a movie.

Initially, this movie wants us to believe it will lead to something deep and meaningful about humanity, ok...i can deal with that...bring it...perhaps some of the characters will become likable or something interesting will happen... Nope, the only thing that happened was some really terrible cgi and more artificial looking "actors". I could not move beyond that point.

Rating as a 2, somewhere amongst this was an idea, but not all ideas are good ones as this movie proves.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good story, flawed but respectable execution
supermellowcali20 August 2021
I liked the ideas and some things were well done, but the story lags in many places and the mix of actors and accents were pretty odd. The main character was way too uncommunicative, a key part of the story but frustrating to watch.
15 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It gets 2 stars for the trailer that made me watch this, and I watched it until the end.
ed-503-46518325 August 2021
I could overlook its low budget, but the story just wasn't there. The first act was intriguing, but it went downhill from there fast. The resolution was ridiculous.

I'm giving it one star for the trailer because it was slick and got me to watch this movie. I'm giving one star for the first act, and because I watch the whole thing. If I were you, I wouldn't.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
starts out so well, then just...nothing
nublingnoob21 August 2021
For gods sake, it started out so well, then just went no were, last half is so boring, i think its another case of they tried to be to clever and should of just done some standard action/scifi horror stuff.
9 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Simply too much clichê
portal179020 August 2021
The ideia/concept it's interesting. The cinematography it's very good. But the casting and acting are really bad. It's clichê after clichê after clichê. After 20 minutes you'll see what you'll get . And that's it. Unfortunately.
16 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Tropey McTropeface
BLAlley16 September 2021
Rule 1: Don't make your main character unlikable and so messed up they can't function properly in social situations, let alone in a specialist capacity.

Rule 2: If you're creatively and intellectually bankrupt, relying on one trope after another will not compensate for said bankruptcy.

This movie is painful, but exactly what you expect from writers who have no practical or academic experience on which to rely, nor the initiative to perform any research in spite of the technical requirements of the story. As hinted at, it's instead one trope after another:

1. Main character is the only one who can do the job, as if no other expert in their field exists.

2. Main character can't function due to substance abuse or other mental health issues (a person like this would never be considered for such an assignment).

3. Said expert is brought in only to have their conclusions ignored.

4. The investigation is performed in dimly lit spaces at a snail's pace in spite of the critical need for quick answers.

5. Expert finds evidence but withholds it for no reason, leading to delays in the conclusions and potential response.

6. So-called experts act stupidly by ignoring basic safety protocols and the scientific method.

I had to turn it off, but I assume at some point a character faces a threat traveling in a straight line but chooses to run from it in the same direction rather than off to the side so it will pass.

There are thousands of good stories out there in the form of novels, short stories, and short films that are being ignored. Instead we get this.
Terrible sound
redwoodsteve21 August 2021
The background music is far too intense and loud. There's lots of information spoken in the background that cannot be properly heard because of the loud music. A great film idea, poorly executed.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Similar to plot from Sailor Moon Makai Tree Arc
Cookiejar557 September 2021
Story about a demon tree from outer space that has now landed on Earth and needs energyyyyy to survive. Great.

These saplings didn't grow anywhere else except Earth. The ending and other details are different but this still the same plot.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A FILM WITH NO REAL POINT BUT BETTER THAN 99 PERCENT OF AUSSIE CRAP WITH BIG BUDGETS
movieguy300023 September 2021
I'm actually a fan and supporter of Aussie indie films as an American I have probably seen more Aussie films then most of my peers so when I review a film its done from a fair POV. I am also a fan of Eddie Arya past films like The Navigator and The System, this director is definitely getting better and this budget looks big for a film so small.

The film starts of so well, but about 15 or 20 minutes in he falls on its ass. The main character is cast badly, I'm not sure why she was cast, because she's an American? She is very wooden and doesn't have the emotional depth of a professional actor. She walks around brooding or staring ,feeling sorry for herself , half the time she looks like she doesn't want to even be in the film. The story has no real goal, its a bad sci-fi film with bad special effects and a boring, pointless story. The American president and military are filled with bad actors and even worse dialogue. They don't speak like that.

Most of the cast are not good or memorable in any way which is a shame.

The locations are fantastic, the cinematography excellent and a great score even though it sounds like a rip-off of The Last Samurai, listen closely. The film tries extremely hard to weave an original concept but borrow from films like Arrival and other big Alien films.

There are NO real obstacles or stakes. You dont have to like your main character, but we dont even feel for her.

The Little kids at the start are doing American accents and then fall out into Aussie so quick.

I found it very hard to watch this or for it to keep my attention.

There is no emotion behind anything here.

I would be hard pressed to recommend this.
Starts Ok, Ends Terribly
freqeteq20 August 2021
The final act of this film is one of the most incompetently handled endings I've ever watched. The problem is that films tend to work to a tried and tested 3 act structure. The first act sets up the world the characters and their goals, 2nd act raises the stakes for our characters by way of obstacles for them to overcome, 3rd act resolves the story with either a win or a loss. Not all films work to this structure but most of them do. This film resolved the main plot during the 2nd act which left the 3rd act with nothing left to do, so the 3rd act is just endless exposition told through voiceovers and flashbacks with nothing to drive the plot forward because the main plot has already been resolved, and this amounts to a boring 3rd act for the viewer, there's a revelation about a character in the 3rd act but trust me by the time it happens you're not going to care.

Now the actual story itself I thought was quite interesting. It was set up well enough in the first act to grab my attention, and even despite some dodgy acting in places and the usual pitfalls you get with low budget sci-fi films I was still invested in the film well into the 2nd act because of the story, but then the scene happened where the film should have ended but didn't and the rest of the film after that was a real slog to sit through as it crawled slowly towards the end credits.

I think you could re-edit this film into something quite watchable, cut up the 3rd act and splice it into the first two acts, move around a few scenes, it's never going to be a masterpiece but I think you could easily turn it into something much better than what I just watched.
62 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
well... starts ok and gets utter boooooring...
waltercarlucci10 September 2021
Yes, its starts okish and you want to give it a chance... but you realize very fast the flaws, of bad writing, bad acting, the main character is utter emotionless... I had to fast forward most of the film as its just booooaaring... well. As I have seen much worse i give it a 3.