Lady Bird (2017) Poster

(2017)

a touching throwback to the adolescent years
Special-K8811 March 2018
In the year 2002, Catholic high school senior Christine McPherson, self-named 'Lady Bird,' is an impetuous girl literally from the wrong side of the tracks who is at a critical stage in her life: she's continually at odds with her mother, she despises her mundane life in Sacramento, and she wants to go to college on the east coast in a city with culture. Her ordinary life suddenly takes a turn when she has to deal with popularity, discovering boys and romance, and coping with the problems of people other than her own. Cute, quirky, and thoughtful coming-of-age story is one everyone can relate to, with the all-important themes of teen angst, adolescence, and ambition; colorful dialogue, well-drawn characters, and believable situations are only elevated by a talented cast of actors. Twenty-three-year-old Ronan perfectly embodies the spirit of a self-absorbed teenager in all her complexities, making it easy for viewers to recall a similar time period in their lives. ***
34 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A simple but great coming of age film.
craig-0666015 March 2018
Never thought that i would like it based on the trailer, but it is really good. This movie is about a young girl named Christine in her senior year and wants to go to college in new york after her graduation in a catholic school to prove to her mother that she is special. What i liked about it is that it has a realistic take on a simple and ordinary life of a girl in her teenage years, the character development from being a girl that wants a better life, does not appreciate what her parents had done for her, changes her name to Lady Bird because she didn't liked her name and impressing other students in her school in order to look cool, to a matured grown up that realizes that she has everything she needs with her family. Saoirse Ronan and Laurie Metcalf are absolutely Oscar worthy in this movie,the love hate relationship between the both of their characters. Even though her mother was mad that Lady Bird lied to her about the wait list for her college, she cried when she decided not to send her off to New York. Apart from that, there are a lot of emotional arcs in it for example when Danny (Lady Bird"s ex) struggled to cope with his sexuality and did not know how to tell his parents. Also, surprisingly this movie has a lot of fun comedic moments which i did not expect.

Overall : 8/10
31 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The coming-of-age story I never expected to hit me so hard
vmbennett15 February 2018
As someone who went through the exact portion of their life that Lady Bird herself lived through not too long ago, this film pushed all the right buttons in order for me to leave the theater feeling very emotional and touched. I come from a relatively small, boring town in Pennsylvania and I ended up going to a university quite far from it. The college application process was just about as stressful as Lady Bird's, with just as much tension between my mother and I during it. And, of course, I went through normal soul-searching teenager feelings. The thing that struck me the most of all the film was the very end, the coming to terms with herself and realizing all the tension with her mother was the result of realizing that her mom just wanted the best for her and for her to be happy in the end. There's a looming guilt that come with her voicemail to her mother, and that's honestly exactly what I felt the first week of being at my new university. In terms of cinematography, the film never makes it hard to spot Lady Bird as she is very obviously made the dominant with her colored hair compared to everyone else in the film, as well as the fact the camera always seems to be entirely focused on her, because during the film there is a lot of non-verbal awareness of self that you begin to see on her face. The film's colors are also very pastel and muted, with soft lighting that makes the film feel like a memory or a dream, which fits the mood of the film and having it take place in the very early 2000's. That within itself makes it feel all more like my own nostalgia as that period of my own life, while being very young, is very dear to me. However, the one thing in the film that wasn't quite as light and muted was the inside of the house that Lady Bird and her family resided in. The dark colors of the walls and the purposely claustrophobic feel of the house reflect the way that Lady Bird doesn't really FEEL at home where she is, and the darkness is almost like the tension that is present between her and her mother throughout the film. The colors also become un-muted when Lady Bird finally goes to NYC and in the final shot of the scene. It leads itself to the somewhat grim but entirely real, no longer dream-like reality that Lady Bird is in: she's now living in a foreign place with no family or friends after having lived in the same place for her whole life with no one there to support her but herself. That very last shot is what I felt like I could relate too as well, the transition process in moving 300 miles away from home to Rochester, New York of all places (known for its bleak, cloudy days) and the guilt I mentioned earlier hits hard. I don't believe I'll be able to rewatch this movie any time soon, but I think that a few years down the line, maybe once I graduate and start working I will seek this film out and let these feelings wash over me again, and perhaps I'll feel them with less sadness but more nostalgia and will be able to self-reflect with them and realize how much I am capable of growing as a person. As a coming of age film, that's what it's all about, of course: letting people take a look back to see how similar or different their upbringings and life events were and how different you come out in the end.
39 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A heartwarming movie that will touch any good parents of teenage children.
markgorman18 February 2018
Although this movie explores much trodden territory - a Catholic schoolgirl's coming of age movie - it's one for parents of around my age (50's) rather than the teen lead it features. In that role Saiorse Ronan deservedly nets another Oscar nomination (sadly for her she is up against the imperious Frances McDormand and therefore cannot win) in a performance that is as real and as raw as any you'll see this year.

But it's not just Ronan's performance that makes this the movie it is. It's the triangular relationship between her (a disillusioned small town girl from Sacramento who dreams of the creativity and urban rawness of East Coast New York) her driven, ambitious (for her daughter) and seemingly hard-hearted, unemotional mother (Laurie Metcalfe) and her long-suffering, delightful father (Tracy Letts).

How the three deal with one another and how those relationships play out are at the heart of a movie that touches the heart-strings many times.

Take a hankie.

It's not damning Greta Gerwig's directorial debut with faint praise by describing it as nice because it really is, in the finest tradition of the word, a truly nice cinematic experience. It has grit, humour and emotion, but the overwhelming take out is just how 'nice' it is.

The first act is hilarious in which 'Lady Bird', the given name (given to herself) of Christine, her best friend Julie and her first boyfriends enact small time life, love and prom-going.

The setting, in an all girls' Catholic High School, lends itself to much hilarity, with some excellently original rebellion. My favourite scene is where 'Lady Bird' and Julie scoff a tub of communion wafers whilst talking about sex. ("It's OK. They're not consecrated.")

Although the gradual sexual fulfilment that Lady Bird experiences is nothing new Ronan's performance keeps you interested, and when the consequences lead to confrontations and discussions between her and her parents - rarely acted out as a three hander because Mum and Dad lead separate (although still loving) lives - the movie reveals its depth.

It's the relationship between mother and daughter that is the real dramatic grit in thi particular oyster. Here Gerwig teases out brilliance by both actors and it's the result of this difficult 'ambitious-mom' tension that drives the movie.

As the film reaches its climax how that plays out is what results in the handkerchief moments and leaves you emotionally satisfied in a movie that is greater than the sum of its parts.
33 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
lasttimeisaw2 March 2018
One year ago, no one on the earth could have foretold that the next female Oscar BEST DIRECTOR nominee would be Greta Gerwig (the fifth overall after Lina Wertmüller, Jane Campion, Sofia Coppola and Kathryn Bigeolow, the only winner), not even Ms. Gerwig herself, if I may presume, yet, miracle transpires in the form of LADY BIRD, Gerwig's solo feature directorial debut (previously she co-directed the Independent Spirt Awards nominated mumblecore NIGHTS AND WEEKENDS 2008 with Joe Swanberg), an effervescent coming-of-age story takes place in her hometown Sacramento.

Christine "Lady Bird" McPherson (Ronan) is a senior student in a Catholic high school, the film roughly covers her last year before starting her tertiary education, "Lady Bird", a named given to her by herself, has a headstrong streak written in her genes, like gazillions of other pubescent spirits peopled around our globe, she revolts against her quibbling mother Marion (Metcalf), and at the same time, desperately seeks for the latter's validation, she wants her mother to like her (as a person), not just love her (because she is her daughter), a sagacious point poignantly reverberates with audience in its universality and intimacy, and the truth is, there are many such sensible touches populated in Gerwig's stimulating script, which can be partially accounted for LADY BIRD's runaway success, because empathy and amenity are like ambrosia, really as scarce as hen's teeth under the designation of "chick flick".

Lady Bird embraces the "me against the whole world" scenario with brio and chutzpah, throwing back talk both at home and at school in order to snatch the evanescent one-upmanship, and makes erroneous choices in her romantic quests, both Danny (Hedges, unexpectedly versatile in projecting a tenderness that is contrarian to his braggadocious Oscar-nominated turn in MANCHESTER BY THE SEA 2016) and Kyle (Chalalmet, what a killjoy!) are anticlimactic episodes, the one with whom she attends the high school prom is actually her best friend Julie (Steffans), romance is transitory, but friends are for life, another lesson learned after her inept hobnobbing with the popular (yet vacuous) gal Jenna (Rush) in order to catch the attention of the cool boy Kyle.

All in all, the most intense bond is of course, the familial one, on her pursuance of severing the umbilical cord, Lady Bird eventually comes to terms with her christened name, her modest, imperfect family, her benevolent and supportive father Larry (a heartwarming Letts) is laid off and has been combating depression for a long time; her double-shift engaged nurse mother Marion's constant nitpicking just mirrors her own apprehension that she couldn't help her daughter to become the best version of herself in spite of the fact that she has maxed herself out. TV and stage veteran Laurie Metcalf is given a rare opportunity to shine on the bigger screen to epitomizes an ordinary mother's broader spectrum of parenting angst and she kills it, not just in that tear-jerking car-roving moment.

Time and again, Saoirse Ronan vanishingly conceals her ethnic traits and flawlessly transmogrifies herself as a flawed American teenager in this Bildungsroman, a fiery but sensitive, opinionated yet good-natured girl who only finds what home and family means when she finally flutters away on her own. Greta Gerwig's LADY BIRD is a rewarding, uplifting and funny passion project equipped with heart, brain and felicity, one simply hope these fantastic characters will be kept in Gerwig's next directorial outing, as we are compelled to wonder what will happen next to the extraordinary Lady Bird and her family.
35 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Lady Bird is a lovingly crafted coming-of-age drama.
The Movie Diorama26 February 2018
"Another one? Seriously. Will these ever stop?" is probably what you are thinking. The answer is simple, the process of coming-of-age is relatable. A relatable story is one that viewers will warm to. Lady Bird is no different. It packs heart, plenty of character and subtle witty humour. A young girl, who titles herself "Lady Bird", is brought up in a catholic school and is at the stage of moving onto college. As with other synonymous films of this sub-genre, our teenage protagonist experiences their first love, family conflict and identity crisis. All part of the long process of growing up. This is nothing new, you may find its unoriginality to be a flaw but if it isn't broke...don't fix it. Also the short runtime results in a despondent narrative due to the amount of content being rammed into it. Despite the meaty plot, Lady Bird just works. So simple, yet incredibly effective. Addressing problematic themes of religious upbringing, materialism, guilt, wealth and the all important identity crisis when being a teenager. Gerwig may not be the most experienced director, but she definitely puts herself on the Hollywood map now. Nothing too fancy, a few quirks here and there but her reliance of the static camera position allows the actors to own the screen. She enables them to bring out the characters by simply giving them the whole screen. They are fundamentally the vital aspect. The characters themselves are fully realised and developed quite nicely, none of the events felt forced or coincidental and so the natural progression, particularly for Lady Bird and her mother, was presented efficiently. Ronan and Metcalf had a luminous chemistry together that felt both loving and prickly simultaneously. Hedges and Chalamet provided decent supporting roles also. I honestly don't have much else to say, if you've seen any coming-of-age film before then, really, you've seen this as well. Its formulaic approach is a small detriment to an incredibly acted, directed and written drama that will provide smiles all round.
31 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Saoirse Ronan shines as Lady Bird
manders_steve25 February 2018
This is a coming of age story about Lady Bird (Christine) McPherson, a final year high school student in Sacramento, California. The strength of the film is the depth of character and relationships between of Lady Bird, her mother Marion (Laurie Metcalf) and father Larry (Tracy Letts).

There are lots of coming of age movies, and this is one of the few I've seen in recent times that really did seem to have something new and interesting to say and show. Maybe some of these related to 'first world problems' or perhaps more accurately 'poor people's problems when looking at rich people' but the complexity and reality I found in the issues raised and the way they were addressed did not detract.

There are many commentaries about relationships, social settings and societal change relevant to the 2002 setting in this film, which I recall clearly as our elder daughter was in the transition from primary to high school around that time.

At times, it isn't easy watching; at times it's really funny and mostly it's encouraging and uplifting. If you have been through that transition from high school to university, employment, or whatever came next for you, I think you'll find something that resonates in this fine film.
31 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Sacremento could be anywhere
billymeachen27 February 2018
The mother and daughter dynamic in this film is something I related to deeply in the context to the relationship I have with my father, this may have lead to me being a little bias in the affect the film goes for. Regardless, I must say, this is the best coming of age film I have seen in a long time. It has both as humbling scenes as it does tear shedding ones and throughout many of the situations and themes highlighted create this idea of being content with what you're given in life. You could argue that this is the "rich-people's problems" of melodramas, however, I would argue that as someone living in a border-line middle class family, that this reflects many people out there. The film highlights themes of, being outdated and replaced as well as, coming to terms with growing and accepting those who care for you. The one major detractor I would say the film has is a sub-plot whereby Lady-Bird tries to be part of the 'cool kid' group and has it come to spite her in the end. Overall though, I would say that as this film had such a personal effect on me I would highly recommend it to anyone. And like I said, you might possibly feel like you're living in the dull town of Sacremento too.
28 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Dream Start To Greta Gerwig's Directorial Career
CinemaClown16 March 2018
Exuding passion, affection & honesty throughout, Greta Gerwig's solo directorial debut is a labour of love that's heartfelt, nostalgic, whimsical, amusing & above all, genuine. Crafted with care, told with sincerity & radiating a sense of warmth from the first frame to the last, Lady Bird is an amalgamation of everything that one would imagine Greta Gerwig to be.

Set in 2002 in Sacramento, California, the story of Lady Bird follows a 17-year old high school senior who longs to attend college in a city that has culture. The plot covers her final year at high school where she participates in a theatre program, has a series of first-time experiences, and starts applying for out-of-state colleges in order to get away from her family & small town life.

Written & directed by Greta Gerwig, every aspect of Lady Bird screams her name right down to the bone. Every moment, every character, every interaction, every creative choice carries her signature. It's so tightly knitted with Gerwig's persona that the film defines her and she defines this film. And that gives it a uniqueness, an authenticity & an originality that's rarely found in a debut effort.

All the characters & their respective arcs exhibit sufficient depth & richness, their interaction carries a real vibe too, and their actions are just as relatable. The early 2000s setting is wonderfully recreated with era-specific fashion & musical trends and it captures that cusp of adulthood moment with finesse. Also present in high dosage is the quirkiness & effervescent wit that one associates with Greta Gerwig.

Despite all the coming-of-age elements, the core ingredient that drives Lady Bird from start to finish is the mother-daughter relationship and though we see them both arguing about the smallest of things, their underlying love is deeply felt at all times. Gerwig has created something that's personal, nostalgic & reminiscent of our own life and no matter how small or big, some part of it will strike a chord with almost every viewer.

Coming to the performances, Lady Bird packs a committed cast in Saoirse Ronan, Laurie Metcalf, Beanie Feldstein, Tracy Letts, Lucas Hedges & Timothee Chalamet, with Ronan & Metcalf impressing the most. Ronan brings a charm of her own to infuse life into a character that's tailor-made for Gerwig herself. Metcalf is even better and the mother-daughter chemistry between the two is electric. The rest of the cast is no slouch in their given roles and play their part responsibly.

On an overall scale, Lady Bird is a dream start to Greta Gerwig's directorial career and isn't just one of the best films of its year but is impressive enough to rank amongst the finest examples of its genre. A cinematic equivalent of joy that's as lively, friendly, cheerful, jubilant, gleeful, lighthearted, adventurous & vivacious as its creator, Lady Bird commences a new chapter in Greta Gerwig's life on the best possible note with a promise of greater things to come. Definitely worth a shot.
22 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Bold, Funny and Original Coming-of-Age Film
mt-9525615 March 2018
TL;DR

• Writer-director Greta Gerwig impresses with directorial debut
  • Refreshingly original and unique
  • Witty, funny script with enjoyable subplots and lots of laughs
  • Great strong characters with career-best performances

------------------------------------------------------

On the face of it, Lady Bird is nothing new; we've seen coming-of-age/self-discovery teen films countless times before. Sometime's they're great, sometimes they're god awful. Somehow though Lady Bird manages to buck this trend and stand out as being refreshingly original and not quite like your average coming-of-age/self-discovery teen film - especially impressive for a directorial debut!

It could be very easy for a story charting a year in the life of a narcissistic teenager to be annoying, childish or perhaps even patronising. Lady Bird is none of those, but rather as charming as its protagonist, mature and even understanding. While the main plot of the story is Lady Bird's determination to make it to East Coast colleges, there are so many subplots that emerge in her life that are a joy to be distracted by. We can all identify with these milestones, from first love to falling out with a friend, but these milestones are enjoyable to revisit with a character like Lady Bird and with such witty, quick writing that really captivates the voice of a frustrated teenager. Much of this is down to the excellent script by writer-director Greta Gerwig, in which strong characters are created and from which a plethora of funny, quotable lines come, making you question if it's more a drama or comedy. Gerwig also emphasises an interesting sense of nostalgia, setting the story in the recent past (2002). Not so far gone as to require frequent nods to the culture of the period, instead we feel as if we're transported back in time in a more subtle way, feeling younger just being able to see those beefy computer monitors.

The film certainly belongs to its star, but Ronan isn't the only decent cast member. The supporting cast is great, from boyfriends to best friends, each is different and not just a cliched depiction of teenage archetypes, but rather come across as genuine. The real stars of the show though are Laurie Metcalf and Saoirse Ronan, with the relationship between their characters being the real crux of the whole film. Metcalf is probably best known as Sheldon's ultra-religious Texan mother in The Big Bang Theory, but that's likely to be overshadowed now. Really showing us what she can do, she may still play a mother with a strong personality, but instead Lady Bird allows Metcalf to give a more nuanced, understated performance, making her a much more realistic, complicated character with whom audiences can instantly engage and form various opinions. Saoirse Ronan has been around for ages, first breaking through as Briony in Atonement way back in 2007 at just 13 years old. She's been in lots since, impressing time and again, particularly in Brooklyn. It's as Lady Bird though that we really see Ronan at her best. Were those lines to be spoken by someone else, Christine could be a thoroughly unlikable character and the film might not have worked. Instead, with Christine played by Ronan, she's well-developed, delightfully complex and consistently likeable, despite her penchant for being frequently narcissistic and frustrating. She's a teenage character we can't help but love and enjoy discovering who she is at the same time she does, sharing in both joy and heartbreak from stat to finish.

Sadly Lady Bird may not have won any Academy Awards, but it certainly deserved each of the five nominations. With a witty, funny script, Gerwig delivers on an impressive directorial debut with excellent performances from Metcalf and Ronan. A hilarious and touching coming-of-age film, ripe with nostalgia, laughs, self-discovery and great characters, Lady Bird flies high.
25 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Earwig That Is Gerwig!
William Reid5 March 2018
Admittedly, it's a long way to go to justify a headline that may be too cute by half but bare with me. Not unlike the earwig, Gerwig is scary in both appearance and reputation but not directly harmful to humans. A vibrant beauty with strong comic undertones who could easily have established herself in an industry that values and rewards obedience, regularity and conformity and instead strives for recognition for initiative, resourcefulness and creativity. All-American work values packaged in the All-American girl? Yes. But Gerwig wants you to see her as more than that. "A science fiction pixie from a strange atomic place" perhaps. Developing her career as an indie actress in the softer light of a host of delightful indie pics, most notably 'France Ha' ( 2012) and 'Mistress America' (2015), both of which she co-wrote, 'Greenberg' (2010) and 'Lola Versus' (2012), Gerwig is all raw emotion and naked neurosis. Unafraid to portray unnervingly fractured, hapless, fatigued, sexually clumsy characters. The creative offspriing of such indie legends like John Cassavettes and Shirley Clarke. In this, Gerwig is Hollywood's 'earwig', more beneficial then we know, acting as scavenger of decades of decaying movie industry matter and predators of the resident garden pest of old school Hollywoodland. Wew! Told you we'd get there! 'Ladybird' is a good movie deserving of it's present circumstances nestled within the short list of this year's best and critical celebration of actors Ronan and Metcalf. Unfortunately, because these are the times we live in, it is Gerwig's talents (and alas subsequent gender) as the writer and director of 'Ladybird' that are stealing the show. One wonders how tired she must be of telling reporters that 'Ladybird' is not a true story. As if a female writer must drink from the well of her own non-fiction. "And when exactly did you run into this monster, Mrs Shelley?"
25 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A normal but very real coming of age movie
lilian-292833 March 2018
The point that Lady Bird could touch audience's heart is its realistic scenes that we can all relate to while we are in our teenage. Lady Bird hopes she could be a bird and fly away, but she never imagine how the true world is, she is naive, immature, impulsive, but fearless. When Lady Bird realized it and decided to grow up, she started naming herself Christine, the name given by parents----which could be considered as a come-back to home or parenting-----that's the time Lady Bird grows up. Being mature isn't mean that we are independent from parents or home, it's rather a childish act for proving oneself's ability to deal with everything by his/her own. Being truly grown up is, we started to cherish what we have, what we always neglected, being confident, brave, and still have beautiful belief in life. I wish every Lady Bird could be grown up into a better adult Bird, don't lose our pureness and faith, still we can fly to wherever we want, as far and long as we can.
Fantastic !!!
yawael26 February 2018
Story: the story focus on the relationship between a mother and a daughter who both have different look to life , and a strong characters which lead them to a lot of arguments.

Although the story isn't new and a lot of films brought this subject to the big screen , this movie maybe the first one who brought it in a very new and attractive way : mixing dram with religious beliefs and covering both of them with comedy, which brings a unique outcome that u can't stop watching and learning from it. Saoirse Ronan who plays the leading role amazed me by her brilliant performance which was mixed of drama, comedy (she really was on fire almost in every scene). She gave us a totally different character than her previous two times Oscar nominations, which I both enjoyed but not like this one because it was really a magical one, and a lot of people will remember Saoirse Ronan in this movie like people still remembering Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's and Diane Keaton in Annie Hall. (Lady Bird) character will be an Iconic character in the movie history.

Laurie Metcalf who played the mother role which was for me also a leading role ( although they gave her a supporting nomination) was also amazing, she plays a mom with a strong character because she was forced to be like that, Lady Bird's father is the sweets guy of the house but sweetness isn't enough to built a house so, the mom had to take care of everything in order to save the house.

There were three essential scenes that both the mother and the daughter gave us an Oscar performance that no one should miss. In general both of the two leading characters have rights and wrongs, each one of them have her point of view and a lot of this come most of the time due to the gap between there generation, it's really the story of each one of us with his parents and eventually will be with his children.

Final rate :

8.5 out of 10
Sweet bird of youth...
mhmt_korkmaz25 February 2018
Everything seems so cliche but flows so naturally and profoundly. Character development, sisters and brothers, moms and dads, friends and lovers.. This movie sucks you into a well forgotten past, full of memories of youth. Story very well told, mission accomplished.
Rating: A-
MSB Reviews2 March 2018
If you enjoy my Spoiler-Free reviews, please follow my blog :)

A fantastic coming-of-age story with so much realistic yet heartfelt moments. Wonderful acting from Saoirse Ronan who carries this movie beautifully with tremendous class. Excellent performance from Laurie Metcalf as well.

Extremely well-directed with seamless editing, grounded yet good-looking cinematography and fabulous execution of the dialogues, either by using long takes or by the above mentioned flawless editing.

Just a couple of issues. The story ends up falling into the genre predictability (save only one or two plot points), even though I need to heavily praise how unconventional and unique it is in approaching each typical situation. There are also some cliche characters who are purposefully stereotypical but a couple of them stretch the line a little bit.
33 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the best in its genre; a wonderful, uplifting experience.
Pjtaylor-96-13804426 February 2018
The characters in 'Lady Bird (2017)' are all so fantastically realised (even those that have mere minutes of screen-time) that you could almost swear they were real, even though the piece is rooted firmly within the cinematic 'suspension-of-disbelief' scripted area as opposed to the ultra-realistic 'mumble-core' improvisational one. It really is this keen focus on its core players, via its phenomenal script and superb performances, that allows it to be so believable and compelling, despite the fact that it is seemingly about the totally mundane. It seems as though you are just watching the life of this young woman and yet is totally captivating, a charming look into the extremely honest trials and tribulations of a person trying their best to find out where they fit in this world, and it feels like one of the most 'down-to-earth' in its genre whilst also being one of the most endearing and best written to boot. It's mature, intelligent film-making that still knows how to be fun; a wonderful, uplifting experience. 8/10
30 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Congrats to Greta Gerwig...
pmetz-3195525 February 2018
Lady Bird is a film that manages to deliver what it wants, it is not a movie out of the line or incredible, it is a simple and well done film. Greta Gerwig did very well in both the script and the direction (which for the first time is magnificent). She managed to portray the life of a pre-adult very well, problems, loves, difficulties and sadness. The relationship between mother and daughter is so funny, so well executed by the actresses that it has a chemistry so timely and so difficult to find. Direction of the actors is also very good, every feeling of the characters is well past. In the end, it's a very beautiful and exciting film, congratulations to Greta Gerwig.
30 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Coming Of Age films have never been more honest
amongusstranger25 March 2018
I saw Lady Bird the very day it came out on itunes, because no theatre near me was play it (I'd have to go to a different country to catch it at a movie) and I was absolutely enamoured by it. I am at a similar point in my life right now, as Lady bird is at the start of the film, and I could see little bit of her in almost all my classmates and myself even. Not only her, I saw Gerwig's characters and I see them in people around me. I felt this weird sense of being understood wash over me, in a way very few YA films (or maybe none at all) ever did. Lady Bird's flaws were so well defined and that made her so relatable. She is not the perfect hard-working protagonist, who is always the good girl, falling in love with the cute guy that walks into the school one day. She is messy and she is real and that's the beauty of her. I also love how the film didn't make you feel extremely hopeful for Lady Bird, and did not sugarcoat certain experiences, such as Lady Bird losing her virginity. It just ends at a point that's just perfect, even though it might not seem that way to most of the usual moviegoers.

Life goes on, it's messy, the cute guy you have a crush on is lying to you, no one loves you more than your mother, you may pretend to hate where you grew up but you know you will miss it when you move away, your best friend may not be the most popular person but DUDE THEY'RE YOUR BEST FRIEND, you don't have to like the music everyone else does, Greta Gerwig touches on it all, in just 93 minutes.

I've seen a lot of people complain about this film, but for me Lady Bird is the 2nd best film to come out in 2017, right after Call Me By Your Name. Oh and did I mention Laurie Metcalf and Saorsie Ronan? What beautiful talents!
15 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A heartwarming coming of age tale that anyone shouldn't miss
This slow paced film which depicts the realities surrounding the life of a teenager is so genuinely crafted that you almost start feeling relatable to how the character is portrayed and makes you reevaluate your own life that u passed as a teenager. This film is enriched by strong and convincing performances by Saoirse Ronan and Laurie Metcalf which would leave you touched at the heartstrings.
Coming of Age Drama
kz917-119 March 2018
Lady Bird delves into the perilously fraught relationship between mother and daughter. Couple that with the coming of age story of Lady Bird a senior at a Catholic High School wending her way through relationships both romantic and friend with sometimes disastrous results.

Fantastic movie. Well done acting. Not to be missed.
15 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A sweet, heartwarming coming-of-age tale.
breheneyjames3 March 2018
'Lady Bird' is written and directed by Greta Gerwig and stars Saoirse Ronan as Christine "Lady Bird" McPherson. "Lady Bird" is name she gave herself as a rebellious act against her mother Marion played wonderfully by Laurie Metcalf. Lady Bird even remarks near the end film that 'some people won't believe in God but they'll just accept a name given to them by their parents'. Ronan's title character is one of the most rebellious and defiant lead characters of the year topped only by Frances McDormand's Mildred Hayes in 'Three Billboards'. It's very entertaining and at times poignant to watch her verbally spar with her mother over something as tedious as straightening a bed cover in a hotel room. This is testament to both the cast and Gerwig's script which keeps things feeling fresh and new in every scene.

Although I do like this film I don't quite love it like most people do and all the enormous praise it has received over the past few months as lead to being considered one of if not the best film of the year. For me it's not quite up there although it was very pleasant and entertaining to watch. There is a great sense of place present in the movie and it's clear that Gerwig and her title character really do actually love Sacramento as the latter begins to realize when speaking with a nun (Lois Smith) at her school towards the end of the film.

The movie has a great ensemble cast including Tracy Letts, Lucas Hedges and Timothee Chalamet who all give decent turns as their respective vital characters. However, it really is carried by Ronan and Metcalf and the best moments are when they are sharing scenes together. It is crazy to think that Ronan who is good in literally everything is on her third Oscar nomination with this film. But then again considering the talent she has maybe it's not crazy at all but expected. So all in all, 'Lady Bird' is a sweet, heartwarming coming-of-age tale that pulls you in with its intriguing script and keeps you their with its magnetic performances.
A Thoughtful Coming of Age Tale
anselmdaniel2 March 2018
This review contains spoilers.

Lady Bird is directed and written by Greta Gerwig and stars Saorise Ronan as the titular character, Lady Bird. Lady Bird is a coming of age tale of a teenager preparing to enter college. Along the way, Lady Bird and her family encounter problems of their own.

Lady Bird is expertly written. Each of the characters feels distinct and has their own motivations and personalities. The writing and dialogue is the greatest positive the movie has to offer. Greta Gerwig has outdone herself by capturing her hometown feelings of Sacramento into the script. The story's heart and soul are in two characters, Lady Bird and her mother. The movie starts with these two discussing colleges. It is here that Lady Bird makes it clear what her intentions are. She dreams of leaving her past behind and going to college on the East coast. However, her mother does not agree with the plan as she sees Lady Bird as being selfish. The family had undergone financial crisis with much of the parental backstory being told through dialogue. The movie pulls at heart strings of bad teenage mistakes, family troubles, and parental failings. It is the ability to merge through the writing that elevates each of these individual tropes into a solid package.

I did find the movie a little blandly directed but that does not detract from the overall experience. I highly recommend Lady Bird.
The Vidiot Reviews....
capone66627 February 2018
Lady Bird

The best thing about Catholic school is that it accepts pregnant virgins as students.

However, it'll be awhile before the pupil in this dramedy even gets a miraculous kiss.

Quirky Catholic high school senior Lady Bird (Saoirse Ronan) struggles to find her place amongst her straight-laced peers as she waits to live out her Ivy League College fantasy far away from her overbearing mother (Laurie Metcalf). It's not until she joins the school play that she finds her calling, and her new boyfriend.

But her affluent new friends begin to affect how Ladybird perceives her status, her family and her old friends.

Although it comes with all the angst, awkwardness and senseless rebellion you'd expect, it's the hilarious and touching mother-daughter dynamic that elevates writer/director Greta Gerwig's vision, and sets it apart from your standard coming-of-age account.

Moreover, teenage girls hate their mothers up until they need them to babysit. Green Light

vidiotreviews.blogspot.ca
27 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A teen's life, in all its annoying realism
Semisonic5 March 2018
Fighting with your parents over your freedom to decide for yourself, struggling with financial difficulties, trying so hard to impress others to actually feel like people care about you and pay attention, doing the stupidest things out of fear of being rejected otherwise.

These things, and a million of other ones, are what an almost grown up human being's life is about. Well, maybe not everywhere and not for everyone, but most of us could surely relate to what Christine "Lady Bird" McPherson goes through. What Saoirse Ronan did to her character is no small feat. With her porcelain doll beauty and those pale blue eyes, she goes out of her typical closed and emotionally restrained character and becomes someone who yells and screams and laughs and cries and breaks things on screen, making Lady Bird so intense that it's unbearable at some points.

Making the character of Lady Bird so intense and hard to handle is probably both the film's best feature and its most serious flaw. In all the multitude of coming-of-age movies, the kid characters are mostly childish and they do dumb things often - but then some uncanny wisdom comes upon them and they grow up in our eyes and suddenly become reasonable and - let's be honest about this - tolerable at last. Lady Bird takes a slightly different road of dropping that sugarcoating and leaving Christine what she is - conflicted, hysterical, inconsistent and, damn, annoying! Just like the character of Christine's mother struggles to write her a letter and to choose words that would both be kind and ring true, so does the audience have a hard time accepting Lady Bird's edgy self. I certainly found it hard to do.

It's curious why we people love the coming-of-age stories. The kids watch them to see that someone does understand and does care about who they are, to see someone else who'd tell them that they are not alone. And we adults watch them to seek hope that those chaotic and erratic creatures we once gave birth to are indeed our kin and that sometime soon you'd get on the same page and would be able to actually talk to each other like responsible people.

In terms of promising the older generations a magical realm in which their progeny will be delivered to their hands all mature and stuff, Lady Bird isn't too reassuring. Nor does it promise us that kids secretly understand everything and it's just a lack of communication - because it's just not true. But there's one thing about this story that redeems all the facepalm moments you experience watching those kids do their kid stuff. That, just like the kids are not alone in their struggle, so aren't their parents. So there's no reason to blame the world on yourself and drown yourself in guilt and anger begotten by it - 'cause you're no more guilty than the other guy.

So, if you have a bird you love - just set it free, and if it loves you back, it will return some day and somehow.
35 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great family film
richb-8496713 March 2018
I saw this with my wife and teenage children, we loved it. The characterisation was completely believable at the same time as being tender, intimate and funny.
24 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this