The Invisible Guardian (2017) Poster

awesome movie!!!
nilapup32113 August 2017
I started watching this movie with less expectation but it turned out to be one of the best serial killer movie I have seen. The atmosphere along with acting of all were top notch. The way several mysteries were dealt which were all connected were built was simply superb.. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie.. Highly recommended for all who loves crime thrillers..
31 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
worth a watch
titiboirok12 August 2017
I gotta say i enjoyed this movie from Spain.Never be put off by a review!Good atmosphere creation ...with the rainy weather?Characters are plausible,basic yet realistic psychology.interesting session of card reading!Made me want to visit a certain area of Spain too!Give it a try!
25 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the Best serial killer -Mystery movies in Recent Times
ravi-or-raj19 August 2017
First of all, The IMDb rating of 6.0 for this movie is complete nonsense . This is one of the best mystery movies in the serial killer genre I've seen . They have handled several complex subplots and back stories . This is not a slasher/ gore thriller ,so I guess people expecting blood splatters galore would be disappointed.

The main mystery and the central character have been treated excellently. There are however, a few loose ends and I felt the "monster/ guardian" subplot could have been skipped (or it's something which is part of cultural folklore which I didn't really understand). Overall ,an excellent mystery suspense movie with great atmosphere .
25 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good movie!
nicolopulcinelli22 August 2017
I recently discover thanks Netflix interesting Spanish movies like this and "Contratiempo". Very good thrillers with a lot of suspanse and plot twists. In particular, this movie keeps your eyes on the screen for every minute until the final epilogue. In addition, the actress that plays Amaia is very expressive and well immersed in the role. I also like the rainy atmosphere. I recommend it!
13 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great mystery thriller.
srmeewisse16 August 2017
Closer to reality then a Sherlock Holmes on the one hand, but intriguing mystery blended in on the other. I do like the depth of the history/youth of the inspector, gives her more character and well acted emotions all the way. So this movie basically has several good points that could interest a broad audience. And it deserves it, good build up and pace, I'm sure many will enjoy this movie.
13 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very atmospheric
ruthie-3021 August 2017
I have never been to Spain. I am a Londoner originally but live in Israel now where the weather is constantly gorgeous, at least in summer, and one of my first thoughts of this movie was : "Is it ever going to stop raining?" (No, it didn't! Is that a spoiler in itself?!)

However, I was very gripped by this bleak, atmospheric story of a young FBI trained detective's search for a serial killer in her home town. I agree that some of the characters were much too black and white. Evil sister, evil mother, etc, who seemed to have no good side to them at all, although I loved the quote by Evil Sister at the end when she killed the serial killer, thus saving Our Heroine's life and said "if I waited for you to catch him, the countryside would be littered with dead girls." That was classic!

I was extremely moved and disturbed by the horrific tragic and sad events in our heroine's childhood that have scarred her. They lingered in my brain far far longer than the actual serial killings and the investigation into them. How anyone can go through that and come out remotely functional at the other end is a miracle. The little actress who played the detective as a child was absolutely wonderful. Worth watching.
10 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sorry, but it's bad.
rafaelsimer21 September 2017
It's OK if you liked it, loved it and/or wrote a review giving it a high score. Some people like stuff, some don't. It's OK. But, in my very honest opinion, it's bad. It actually took me 3 days to watch the entire thing. It was so boring that I could only watch parts of it each day; and I just finished watching it because i wanted to put some closure into it, and I was giving it a chance to save itself at the end. But no. It sucks. It tries to be a police-thriller, and it fails. It also tried to be about supernatural-horror, and it fails there as well. The scenes are disconnected, the police-thriller parts don't fit with the supernatural ones. The main character, Amaia, is supposed to be an intelligent and hard-case investigator (she left Spain to join the FBI, and suddenly she is back in Spain). But she is weak, always afraid, cries all the time (more than half the movie), everyone treats her like human refuse and she allows it, remaining silent and crying. She is a FBI agent, and suddenly she has police authority in Spain, but no one respects her, so she is kicked out of the case, but is praised at the end...even after failing horribly. The cast is bad. Each actor has only one facial expression. Perhaps they went to the same acting school as Kristen Stewart. The characters have no depth at all, which makes them all awkward. From time to time, the "supernatural" aspect of the movie pops up, and it makes no sense. At all. Weird stuff and occult-related just get thrown into our faces. No explanation, no elaboration. Nothing. And that's where the "Invisible Guardian" is supposed to be. But this entire part could be removed from the movie and it wouldn't make a difference! After all, it's only mentioned for like 3 minutes overall. It looks like they were thinking "oh, we're making something with a supernatural background? no problem! we'll just put an elderly aunt there who believes all this crap and plays Tarot and we'll give her some scenes." These scenes don't make any sense and are irrelevant. They all fail at their goal. It's supposed to be scary (I think), but it's just silly. And the investigators, well, Amaia and some other dude look at some photos and suddenly they describe the entire psychological profile of the suspect. Everything. Just by looking at a couple of photos. That's the part where we're supposed to say "wow, they're really serious and intelligent cops". But all I could say was "wth did you smoke, dude?". By the very end, they throw in some information that was hidden for nearly 110 minutes, so now everything makes sense and the criminal is discovered. At the very end, Amaia, once again, gives an entire psychological profile review on him, with info she never had access to. Oh, but they also found nearly 100 bodies in a cave. Yeah, but doesn't matter. Case closed. Congratulations. Now everyone in the city likes you. They had no reason to hate you before, but hate you they did. Your psycho mother nearly killed you when you were a little kid, she got locked up in the crazy-ward, attacked nurses, ate parts of their faces. But it's you they all hate. But now they like you and respect you. Even though you weren't really the one the caught the bad guy at the end. Have I mentioned the acting is really bad? Well, it is. The crazy stuff that goes on in Amaia's head? She may be crazy as her mother. The fact heat everyone in that small village knew everyone, but didn't know the real story of Amaia's past nor had any clue as to who the murderer was? It's all good, they had a FBI detective (that they all hated) to solve the case. But what of the bodies? I said. case. closed!
34 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mind haunting, Captivating
aisisaac15 September 2017
This film was well directed by Fernando González Molina, made the audience totally engrossed and wanting more and more as time passed to know the outcome. Two actors stood out the most, being of the same character, the main actor, Amaia Salazar who was played by Marta Etura and the one who portrayed her as a child.

I would have to say that I was more intrigued by Amaia's past than the actual case itself. And many things disturbed my mind, but sadly was never answered by the end of the movie. Firstly, I wanted to know what was the reason her mother hated her so much, calling her a "bitch" and saying that she wanted to eat her. Secondly, (maybe I missed it) what happened to her father? I never saw or heard of him in the present tense of the film. Thirdly, did her eldest sister Flora hate her so much because she never knew what her mother did to her as a child and think that Amaia simply abandoned her family as she often says in the movie? And since all this were never answered in the film, it makes me wonder still...

I much recommend this movie to any.
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good movie, strange ending
theruizs-518745 November 2018
Spoilers follow! We really enjoyed this movie. But the ending left us puzzled and with a lot of unresolved questions. Did the Basajuan put the tree in the road to cause the accident? If that accident had not happened, Amaia never would have found the cabin and her older sister would have still killed Victor and saved the young girl. She only found the cabin because the Basajuan pulled her from the car and then lead her to it. So in a way, other than figuring out it was Victor, Amaia didn't really solve anything. In fact, her partner had already figured out it was Victor on his own. And it was he who found the connection between the earlier killings and the recent ones. So when you consider all that, why did she get so much credit at the end? If I were her partner I would not be happy about that.

There are many other questions unresolved too. The scene where her Aunt does the Tarot card reading ends with a card that seems to indicate the Devil is after Amaia, but that is never pursued anywhere in the movie. In fact, other than the point that the killer is "very close" the whole scene seems a bit out of place. So what was that all about? Also, why was her mother so crule to her and not her other sisters? Did her sisters not know about it? What happened to her Father? And why did the fact that Victor visited her mother regularly and brought her flowers trigger her realization that Victor was the killer?

Despite all that, we still enjoyed the movie and we hope at least a few of these questions will be answered in the next two movies. Of course, we could always read the books too and that may clear some of it up. All in all, this is definately worth watching!
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent , just watch!
ramirezrosie25 June 2018
I wanna start by saying this is a very very good movie, it delivers in every sense. It keeps you attached to your seat and waiting to see what happens next. I believe the people who are scoring it low where spending more time on their phones than paying real attention to a good movie , missing the story. Suspense is there intriguing and definitely a well done story.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Too much melodrama
Portobella9 August 2017
This could have been a good story if not for the over-the-top melodrama from some of the actors in this film. Some of the main characters are just too black n'white i.e: 'The evil sister', 'the evil mother' and 'the evil brother-in-law' of the protagonist. And the aunt is portrayed as 'the good fairy'. But if you enjoy Gothic opera you will be pleased!
20 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
More like a TV movie
ph7500615 September 2017
One dimensional characters and an anti-climatic, predictable conclusion.

I love crime thrillers so much that I'm generally really forgiving when it comes to characters and story lines but this one was just too cliché even for me, especially considering the abundance of really good murder-centered TV series out there these days. Either the murder itself has to be unique or the main characters need to be interesting or emotionally engaging...unfortunately, neither is true in this case.

One solid point, however, goes to the atmosphere. Dark, spooky, always raining. Small town, with a nearby forest. Wonderful Gothic overtones. I rarely get see Spain depicted like this in films.

And finally, a side note. This also reminded me a bit of The Bone Collector, where the main protagonist is a female detective trying to smoke out a serial killer and is guided by a black mentor who just injects little kernels of crucial info that helps her break open the case. The entire movie plays out like a color by numbers book. :(
8 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It was so so
thanhquyennguyen26 August 2017
The story line wasn't very realistic for then handling crime scenes, not dealing with conflict of interests and portrait her was weak for a detective. If she was a detective and good at what she does not sure why she called her Mentor.

The overall plot was interesting. Would have been more believable if these issues were addressed.
9 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Overdramatised with plot lacking any substance
Atrey_Doury17 August 2018
How do you justify a crack investigator who goes through investigation with trigger - happy tear ducts and near hysterical ambience? You cannot! Particularly when this investigator is supposed to have been chosen specifically for her competence. There are a lot of grievances for this one, suffice it to say that it is a mediocre production with less than competent acting, nigh ridiculous script and the less said about the alleged mystery the better. I am sick - and - tired of emotionally broken investigator stereotype that celluloid is still selling. Mostly because you need one hell of a director to pull them off otherwise they are just annoying as hell and futile. Just like this movie.

Photography is top - notch. Hence two stars.
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Movie Worth Watching from start to finish
cutter1120 October 2017
I found this movie on Netflix by accident and was mesmerized by it. The story took me into a world I did not know yet resonated with my own horrific childhood and that of the heroine of this movie. All of the elements of the film were like a nightmare that you see through the eyes of the heroine and how she comes to grips with the horror of what is going in her home town and how members of her own family may be involved. She also has to deal with reopened wounds by verbal confrontations from her family, townspeople and strangers. Her strength is constantly challenged and commendable. I recommend this movie as it is haunting and a testament to the strength of a child surviving a mother's loathing.
6 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Basque Bigfoot Mystery
Pairic3 May 2018
The Invisible Guardian: Spanish Serial Killer film with a Fortean twist set in the Basque Province of Navarra. Amaia Salazar is a detective inspector in Pamplona who is posted to her hometown to investigate the killings of young women.

The town is in a mountain valley where local myths and superstitions live on, including that of Basajaun (Lord of the Forest) a Basque Big Foot. Some think Basajaun is responsible for the murders others see him as a protector. In Spanish, English and Basque, subtitled. On Netflix. 7/10
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Gorgeous film, very good acting and story with few flaws
pattiwitten5 November 2017
Beautifully shot and designed, this film has only a few flaws. The engaging plot centers around the gritty yet fragile lead investigator whose family history is key to unraveling the mystery of a series of murders as well as the murderer's identity. There is a fantasy angle that is easy to discount if you are following the realistic mystery and action, but the melancholic photography reminds you that something more is perhaps going on. I think the ending falls a bit short - as if the "guardian" is tacked on and too easily ties everything up neatly - but it is a very satisfying film in many ways. Recommended.
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A movie that exceeded my initial thought
fireandlightning8 September 2017
I've rarely seen a picture/movie that is from a country which language I don't really comprehend. I was intrigued by the movie since I'm trying to learn Spanish and it's a movie from Spain, so first off - very good. The language is captivating, even though they speak waaaaay to fast for me.

The suspense was there, and at the end it really got me. But first things first. The acting was really well done, the cinematography was really nicely done and most of the script I really enjoyed. However, there were a few things that I didn't really like, well, I didn't understand; - Why was her mother such a b**** to her, but not the other sisters? -Did Flora and Ros not know what their mother did to Amaia? -Did her father just sweep it under the rug and pretend everything was fine? - How did Flora know where to find Victor and Amaia? - After, I suspect, a good number of years as a cop, how come when she really needed to, it was like she had no clue how to defend herself? I would have thought she could at least have tried to disarm and knock him out before getting to the girl and rescue her. If it hadn't been for Flora's miraculous timing, they'd both be dead. - Are we sure Flora had nothing to do with it?

I have even more questions, but I'll leave it here. I still think it was a good movie and I would probably recommend it to others who want to see a good suspense movie. But I would say that the ending is a bit vague and leaves you with a tonne of questions.
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Suspense Movie
polstonc25 August 2018
Even though we had to read the subtitles this movie kept you at the edge of your seat. The acting was superb and I would put it against any major Hollywood movie. Good Job love that actress Marta Etura.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Must see
deasyria30 March 2018
Very good and great plot. Really enjoyed it despite Spanish subtitles.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enjoyable
foutainoflife25 January 2019
This film is about a female investigator assigned to work a serial killer case involving the deaths of adolescent girls from her hometown. Her family owns and runs a bakery but she chose to go to the US to train with the FBI rather than work there. Within her family there are hard feelings about her career decision but she stays the course, working the case to the best of her ability. There's village folklore about a "basajaun" (a beast similar to our bigfoot) that comes into play and leads to the killer's title being "The Basajaun Killer." Can she overcome the issues that haunt her family life and herself doubt and bring a monster to justice?

I liked this. I thought it was filmed well with great settings and a dark atmosphere. I didn't have any complaints about the acting and felt that, for the most part, the actors did a great job bringing out each character's personality and perspective. I liked having a bit of mythology thrown into the mix to keep things interesting.

My only complaints would be that the pace seemed to drag at times and there were bits of the story that could've used a little more attention. I did enjoy it though and wouldn't mind suggesting it to a friend.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not good, not good @all, man
BasicLogic3 April 2018
Very poor script, lot of unnecessary dialog and characters. Used a blue/gray lens filter to strengthen the grim, dark, cold, rainy winter feelings. A serial killer continued to do the serial killings when the police force concentrated and focused on the small town? The victims were disposed in remote, difficult to approach terrains? There was no way a single person could do the job of removal of dead bodies single-handedly, even in a city with paved streets, albeit transported the corpses into the wildness.

We continued to see and hear the high praises of this female detective by her superiors, yet what we saw here was a sentimentally wounded female, constantly flashed back when, where and how she grew up. A woman got an American artist boy friend. A woman difficult to get pregnant but longing for a child. There's nothing to show how great her detecting ability was. Choosing the wintry raining city and countryside scenes were only good for cinematographic purpose but not good and welcomed by these poor actors who usually soaked to their bones and so dangerously getting pneumonia.

This is a very pretentious and amateurish murder mystery film that would wasted your lifetime on earth minus 2 hours 8 minutes 50 seconds and would bore you to an earlier death.
5 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
waste movie.
levinika3 October 2018
I have watched this movie after gone through the highly positive IMDB user reviews. but it is very disappointing film. good : 1.Heroine acting 2.Cinematography 3.Art Director

Bad: 1.Story 2.Screenplay 3.Direction
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Trying to do too many things.
Fem19828 June 2018
Nice cinematography and decent acting but this film didn't know what genre it wanted to be. In my opinion it should have left out the supernatural element (which seemed pointless) and should have used the time to focus more on the main character's past which was never satisfactorily explored. This could have given the film a bit more depth, particularly around the theme of purity which was trying to be a link between her childhood experience and the murders but failed to do so with any real significance. As it stands it's too long and lacking the intricacies required to make it a really good film.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Big scenario holes
kavelar-3826223 September 2018
Big scenario holes. There were maybe good intentions, but the result is mediocre and as a viewer I felt full of questions.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.