Parallel (2018) Poster

(II) (2018)

Decent multi-verse flick, easy watch.
ThomDerd16 December 2020
The overall idea is good, especially for a fan of alternate universes. But keep your expectations low-to-medium. The characters are ok, acting is ok and the story is (at most times) ok. If you are into this style, you ll find this movie enjoyable. 7/10
29 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Below average derivative banality
metahumanity_0112 December 2020
You have seen the idea many times in stuff like Twilight Zone and similar fare. I found it impossible to discern in which world they currently are in many scenes.

I suspect most positive reviews here are planted.
23 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
textbook story implosion
A_Different_Drummer13 December 2020
Watching this film -- or trying to -- is like being in a slo-mo car accident. The opening sequence is fantastic. It "tells" you that this is the beginning of a great movie, there is so much more to come. But that is a false promise. Even the first 20 minutes seems to be heading in the right direction, a really promising setup. And then, once the arc is established, the writer completely runs out of ideas and suddenly the film experience about a group of friends with petty problems itself becomes just as petty. Textbook example of a story that works backwards -- the beginning is SO much better than the rest of the movie..
15 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Too light....................
hampersnow-2890512 December 2020
At the heart of this Sci-Fi drama is a fairly dark story, one that could have been told in a dark, interesting way. Instead this has all the charm of a not very well done extended episode of any Sci-fi Tv show. I never felt I was watching an actual movie. Considering what takes place in this story, no one reacted in any believable way and the only standout of the entire cast was Mark O'Brien who is good in everything he does. The characters were all fake sitcom type people and for a plot with such potential this actually started to bore me. It wasn't well shot, was poorly directed and I didn't care for any of the 4 main characters because everything about them hit a false note. To tell this story effectively , and it really was a story of Sci-Fi horror, It needed to be played and shot in a totally different manner. Who ever decided to shoot this as light-hearted, ruined the film.
16 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
feels like the Stargate episode
brainwerx-112 December 2020
"There but for the grace of god" where Daniel stumbles upon a mirror and touches it, ending up in an alternate/parallel universe. He manages to get back and uses that knowledge from over there to help win a war over here. I will watch it, but it really isn't that original an idea...
13 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not to great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jewelch4 February 2021
The ending of the movie is a jumbled rush. However, the movie is enough of an interesting sci-fi jaunt that's worth watching if viewers don't mind keeping track of characters that have look-alike counterparts in a parallel world. James Welch Henderson, Arkansas 2/3/2021
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not as bad as some reviews say
Sergiodave14 December 2020
This is an okay sci-fi film. Basic plot is 4 housemate find a mirror which is a portal to other parallel universes. The first half of the movie was better than the second. The acting was okay, I liked the fact that all four main characters were quite different. The direction wasn't great but passable, and as with all horrors they left it open for a sequel. Not bad to pass the time, but I think the plot for the second half could have been better.
10 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good, but
SkepticalSy11 December 2020
I really enjoyed the first half of this show, although the second half got a bit silly. I love Sci-fi so I'm probably biased, if you're into sci-fi it's a good watch but it's not the greatest Sci-fi you'll see.
11 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A clever and ambitious sci-fi rendezvous from another dimension!
allan053 August 2018
Twilight Zone meets Matrix meets Black Mirror meets Dark, simply put, Isaac Ezban's finest work to date. If you enjoyed the combo mentioned earlier, this movie will twist you upside down from beginning and until the very end.
15 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Underrated
axeltf-0880817 December 2020
You can't argue with that, this movie is very underrated. That doesn't mean it's flawless but still, it was more captivating than most big hollywood productions nowadays in my opinion. The concept is great, and although it is a bit too light-hearted I still think the characters actions are somewhat believeable, at least in the first half. If anything, it explores what a bunch of careless people would do if they found a similar anomaly, unlike many others movies where the characters are just paranoid and never explores the supernatural element to it's fullest. Brilliant and well-explored concept but a little to light-hearted and with somewhat generic characters. Still really worth a watch.
6 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Had potential
CakeWalks2725 December 2020
The multi verse idea has so much potential. The show Fringe is an example of making that idea interesting. This is a drama where the main story is relationships/friendships, not much sci-fi. Started out decent enough, then by 2nd half seemed like a totally different movie as it became a muddled, boring soap opera.
7 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enjoyably slick and smart adventure.
jdesando10 December 2020
"Shh! Listen! Someone's coming! I think -- I think it might be us!" J.K. Rowling

App developers and also friends, Devin (Ami Ameen-yes, he looks much like Will Smith), Josh (Mark O'Brien), Leena (Georgia King), and Noel (Martin Wallstrom), are about to go into a contemporary version of The Twilight Zone or an adult Narnia through a much-tried trope, the magic mirror. It's Isaac Ezban's slick and smart Parallel, where none of it, not even lucrative time travel, is good for participants.

However, traveling through the mirror into a multiverse means friends are able to develop programs after they see them in the future, win at lotteries, and try to figure out what version of their friends they are making love to. Yes, even that eventually is tedious for them and some of the audience.

They acquire hefty envy from their rivals and the public as they grow richer, and guess what, unhappier. We, however, can enjoy the splendid, splashy cinematography by Karim Hussain and dizzying Ezban camera that enhance the eerie old house/mirror from the comfort of our Sci-fi/thriller comfortable chair.

Much as impressive writer Scot Blaszak includes some hip lingo and with-it characters, he can't completely overcome the weight of formula, albeit he smartly mixes up the conventions to give it a casual, modern feel. We're not dealing with Christopher Nolan here, who knows a thing or two about time, or Stanley Kubrick, who can spin a camera around like a fun house.

Rather we have a solid sci-fi/thriller/drama with titillating themes about messing around with the supernatural, giving into greed, and most of all knowing your friends and lovers better. I say that makes a very talkable evening in which friends can get to know each other better without using a magic mirror as a very dangerous crutch.
11 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just deep and dark enough without being too heavy
ravencorinncarluk12 December 2020
I enjoy light sci-fi movies that don't bog down too much in the hard science, and this hit those notes for me. Just enough of multiverse theory to ground the work without having to delve into explanations, thus the story could bloom without clunky expositions.

The acting was fine, the dialogue was natural and evolved with the character's individual journeys, and I liked the use of the camerawork to keep the real world and mirror world apart.

I was reminded of Black Mirror and Outer Limits, of course, but something also made me think of Primer. Maybe it was because the parallel universe was just a little different from what I've come to expect. Nothing super groundbreaking, but was still a good story point.

Not that I would call it superficial, but everything is pretty much on the surface and plays out almost as expected.
8 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This movie works on many universes.
KikoMorah18 July 2018
I had the joy of watching Isaac Ezban's a couple of months ago at BIFFF 2018.

It has a great cast, and what I believe is a constant in Ezban's films, a great story. Ezban's touch is clear and noticeable. It is obvious that the studio believed in his vision. As for the performances, the cast maintained a consistent tone while marking a clear difference between the "versions" of the characters they were playing at the time. The most noticeable performance comes from the film's antagonist, Mr. Robot's Martin Wallström.

The cinematography is for sure one of the most experimental aspects fo the film. The choice of providing a completely different visual narrative for each universe visited is brave and super creative but at moments it was a bit too weird for my personal taste.

This English-language debut will be a breaking point for the director and it's a great first approach to a wider audience. He's got a hell of a job in adapting Summer of Night, his next project.

Worth a watch for sure!!
12 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Shattered Illusion
TechStuf12 December 2020
Sorry, but my already fragile suspension of disbelief was irrevocably shattered when they first went to the bar. Did you see the size of those shots? Not in my universe!
11 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Kept me in all the way but could have been much better with this subject
Ashitaka13729 December 2020
Good sci-fi movie, with intriguing possibilities but the whole thing felt unfulfilled in the end. Great acting from everyone though.
5 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I'm sorry it was unwatchable
m_prigipas12 December 2020
4 highly unlikeable characters, an uninteresting plot, a mediocre direction. I could not even finish which is so strange for me. One star only for the first scene.
8 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Gets stars for good quality
Mary1337hax11 December 2020
Bad acting. Boring plot. Extremely bad at trying comedy (like outdated "jokes").

I can't speak for the whole movie, I only bothered to watch an hour before I quit. It's boring af.

Bunch of friends having a business idea? Finds a portal to mirror worlds and does stuff there..? To develop their business idea I suppose? Nah, I ain't watching that. Could have been much more with another plot. Disappointing.

I thought I could have it as background noise at least but no.
11 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the most thrilling amazing sci-fi movies
yuval-invoke8 December 2018
Just saw it today in a Sci-Fi convention in Israel, a friend who is one of the organizers recommended it to me - it's a really good solid sci-fi movie, smart and intelligent. It really takes advantage of the premise, and has all the parallel universe "takes" and "twists" you can think about. It's nicely written, well directed, well-developed and round characters, and has some amazing photography work. The background of the characters is that they are in a high-tech company, and as someone involved in this world in real life, they did a good job in portraying this world "authentically". As the director said in the Q&A session, it's 'The Social Network' meets SciFi.
11 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good story, horrible ending
realityinmind11 January 2021
All I want to say is that the ending sucks. It makes no sense and serves no purpose. It is as if the writers had no idea what to do so they just came up with some off the wall plot hole ending just to be done with it.
4 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Like 2015's "Parallels"
rsvp32114 December 2020
I enjoyed this, but it feels like an unfinished ending, like 2015's "Parallels" pilot for a (unfortunately) failed bid for a television series.

A lot of room to grow, redo the ending, or expand into a series.
4 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
At least make an Attempt to Explain the science!
herbie-1713 December 2020
I love this type of movie and the fact that it became a horror movie is great. That being said, at least try and explain how a mirror like that could exist! I don't care if it's bull, just give me something. Also, the ending??!!!! You can't not explain how that was possible. I would have given it a 7 if it hadn't been for that. Easy to fix writing mistakes. Yes, as others have said, Stargate deserves half the credit foe this plot.
6 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enjoyable
goodalan-8219125 January 2021
I wasn't expecting to much from this movie but surprise surprise i enjoyed it. Good ending as well. I recommend you see this movie
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great movie!
kathsmcl2 February 2021
Yes, the idea has been done before but come on what isn't recycled anymore. They did this movie well. Acting was very good and I had no problem discerning between universes. They really made it very obvious.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worth more than 6/10.
malakia296622 February 2021
On the "Was I upset I spent 2hrs watching" scale this is a 7/10. On a scale that includes StarWars, Wizard of OZ, Departed, etc. it wouldn't be that high.

I've seen BAD acting, special FX, etc., this movie could use some refinement here or there but I wouldn't use BAD to describe any aspect of it. I'm not a Genre (multi-verse) expert, don't think I've watched Twilight Zone, but I did enjoy Leo DiCaprio in Inception. This isn't Inception; and there are some areas where the "jumping" can be hard to track. But my Wife and I both agreed: "Not Bad" and a solid 6/10.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.