Just Mercy (2019) Poster

(2019)

Take some of the very negative scores with a grain of salt....the film is amazing.
MartinHafer22 October 2019
I saw "Just Mercy" a few days ago at the Philadelphia Film Festival and was blown away by the film....and I consider it to be one of the best movies I've seen in recent years. I could easily see the picture receiving several Oscar nominations---especially for acting. Imagine my suprise when I looked on IMDB and saw a score of 5.6 and some negative reviews! I am not exactly sure what this is all about and perhaps it's because there are some angry pro-capital punishment folks or some who simply hate a film with a mostly black cast. All I know is that the film is a quality production and kept my interest throughout.

The story is based on the work of Bryan Stevenson, a Harvard graduate who chose to move to Alabama and work for a small salary to help examine the convictions of men on death row...men who in some cases were not guilty at all. How could anyone NOT applaud this sort of thing?!

Overall, a brilliantly written film that made me sad and angry....and I love when a film effects me that way. The acting was top-notch, the story magnificent and the writing amazing. Just ignore all the negativity and see this one....you'll be happy you did. As for me, I'd consider this perhaps the best American film of the decade...it's THAT good.
130 out of 180 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great watch
imdb-ikysmoviedatabase9 September 2019
Very intense and gripping plot screenplay play is brilliant
46 out of 78 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Totally shocking !
Lewis_Heather7871 January 2020
I went into this film with no expectations at all, didn't even really know what the film was about, just saw the really exciting cast and I was in. Nothing would have prepared me for the totally shocking.....True Story......that was told in this film, it has stayed with me ever since I watched it.

I'm not sure I know enough words in the English dictionary to describe the total disbelief in the whole story and journey of Walter McMillian and Bryan Stevenson played by Jamie Foxx and Michael B Jordan respectively. Needless to say that I had never heard of the central case of this film involving Mr McMillian nor the incredible work of Mr Stevenson and his organisation. I think it definitely benefited my viewing experience because I really had no idea what was going to happen.

Wow what an emotional roller coaster in many respects. I have complete and utter disgust with the pathetic case that was brought against Walter McMillian in the first place...........basically the police needed to desperately catch someone so they intimidated another death row inmate to testify against an innocent man, so he could get a reduced sentence. Then there is the small fact of not using the witness accounts of black people who would prove Mr McMillian's innocence.........nor have any black people on the jury??!?!?!?

Then there is the other side of the emotion.............from disgust and almost anger, to just outright sadness...........this film is deeply horrifying and sad due to the nature of the subject matter...........the scene when Herbert Richardson gets executed, is a huge emotional punch to the gut..........it must also be said that the end credits are also just as educationally horrifying.............thankfully there are some silver linings!!

All of this going through my head is obviously due to the film being good........oh yeah did I not mention that..............why is the Imdb score so low???? The directing is solid but nothing mind blowing........it didn't need to be!!! The acting in this film is what just adds that extra special touch to elevate the film from good to great, for me!! Michael B Jordan, Jamie Foxx, Brie Larson all of whom are just great in the film..............no more to say!!!!!

Overall I am just shocked by the story, it took my breath away!! Being from the UK where the death penalty has not been accepted for quite some time..........it is completely dumfounding why its still used and accepted in the US?!?! Yeah those statistics at the end is almost vomit inducing. 80% out of 100 its a very good film highly recommend.............people need to hear this story, peoples eyes need to be opened.
16 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Extremely moving, powerful.
emiliecunning-210945 October 2019
An important film for our times about racial injustice and the cruelty that is the US criminal justice system. Very moving and powerful. Wonderful performances from the two main leads - Jordan and Foxx, with strong supporting performances from Brie Larson and Rafe Spall. Recommend to anyone who wants to become a lawyer or is just interested in US politics and history.
52 out of 96 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Promising Premise - Well executed, with minor flaws
FilmFlowCritics9 October 2019
This fantastic and gripping real story is made for the cinema! I wasn't aware of this great and inspiring person and I am glad this movie introduced me to him and his life story!

While this story is mixes a lot of ups and downs, you can still feel dread at times. This all though builds up to an extend that rewards you and the director is able to get that feeling of relief, camaraderie and courage transported to YOU in the audience, no matter if you are black or white.

The end credits will give you goosebumps, with the expected real life footage that reminds you again, that most of what you've seen in the last 2 hours, really happened to people. This is exactly the thought you should leave the cinema with. Sometimes, it only takes one kind person to have a huge impact!
31 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Emotional and riveting!
perkinsmay6 January 2020
I saw this film tonight as a Screen Unseen at the Odeon Worcester, UK. I too don't understand it's low rating on this website. I was riveted and at times it was a hard watch because of the blatant injustice explored in it. The performances were first class and Michael B. Jordan has a stillness on camera, which is arresting and powerful. I cannot believe that this injustice happens and that this level of bigotry and racism escapes justice. Everyone who believes in justice for all, irrelevant of your race, social status and wealth should watch this film and I applaud the makers for bringing the story of this courageous lawyer to the big screen to highlight how these prejudices still exist in the home of the free'
14 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fantastic Movie based on real events
joshnorton-934716 January 2020
Great across the board. Acting, directing et al...

This is a story and a problem that needs more focus. Equal justice under the law for all Americans.
13 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent Performances In Compelling Movie
slightlymad229 January 2020
I just got out of an advanced screening of Just Mercy. I was surprised to see it was only half full. Normally these advanced screenings are almost sell outs.

I can't believe this blatant injustice was based on a true story, based off the lawyers book. Considering it is based on a true story, it is a bit precicfable at times, and you know where it is going most of the time. I also need to add, it is not a feel good movie at all, but I think most people will like it.

It is a very compelling movie, I was wrapped up in it throughout. Michael B Jordon is terrific, Jamie Foxx gives his best performance since Collateral and Ray!! Rob Morgan and Tim Blake Nelson offer solid support, whilst Brie Larson is also effective. Possibly my favourite performance from her.

It will be interesting to see if it gets any Oscar love, Foxx really deserves a best supporting nomination. I hope this finds an audience, it deserves to.
8 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A story that needs to be viewed
enetgirl15 December 2019
Everyone should enlighten themselves and watch this movie.

And I just want to point out that these 7 reviews (not counting mine) average a score of 8.29. I don't know how they got a 5.7
25 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Must see...
graceu7011 December 2019
Must watch.... everyday there are innocent people seating in jail without mercy that is wrongfully convicted
23 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Surely an acting oscar nomination in here somewhere.
steve-care13 December 2019
Dont know why this film has a low rating.

This true story about a young lawyer who uncovers miscarriages of justice a from discriminating legal system in the deep south, it has a great central performance by Michael B Jordan and is backed up by Jamie Foxx, who surely should be nominated for a best supporting actor Oscar come next year.
20 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Moving and inspiring
gizmokin30 December 2019
Optimism prevailed at even the darkest times. Makes you want to stand up and fight for what is right.
11 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Emotional Roller Coaster
lukyboy112 January 2020
Phenomenal job by Michael B. Jordan, and Jamie Foxx. Sad to see that we are still seeing this type of injustice. The only way this will be minimize is by educating ourselves and becoming lawyers, judges, politicians that will truly make a difference. Watching this movie most likely will make you angry, and emotional. We just need to better ourselves to make a difference in our communities.
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bring some tissues
jimalba-8788711 January 2020
I loved this movie- it really moved me. Knowing that it is based on a true story, without a lot of Hollywood fluff added, made it that much more emotional and at times, difficult to watch. A must see movie in my opinion. Michael B. Jordan keeps getting better as an actor and this was a nice role for him, definitely a change of pace, and he did a great job. I'm not a person who cries much, but tears were flowing during parts of the movie, then the end credits rolled and they were like a punch in the gut. Jim Valvano ("Jimmy V") said something like "something should move you every day, you should laugh or cry, every day"- and there are a moments in this movie where you are totally moved to anger, tears, and joy. I've read the reviews and I see some people complaining about the pace and the wardrobe (!! Are you kidding me?)- and one person said there wasn't enough humor in it. Those people are fools. This movie is not a comedy and not an action movie, this isn't a Sly Stallone prison movie, it's a real life story, and an outstanding one, even if it is tough to watch at times. It has been a long time since I've been in a theater where the crowd doesn't move when the credits start rolling, but that's what happened tonight- the whole crowd sat there reading the credits and getting ourselves together. I really liked this movie.
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just Mercy Is Just Riveting
jdianahall10 January 2020
Not since A Green Mile and Dead Man Walking have I sat glued to my seat before the theater screen to watch a prison-death-row movie. Let's be realistic--such stories can be depressing. While watching Just Mercy, sometimes I laughed and sometimes I cried. But the central message about the injustices in our justice system has to be recognized, reviewed and re-evaluated. The acting was superb and the action was paced slowly enough to draw us deeply into the characters in the story. The updating at the end brought closure for these characters but also a sense of urgency to demand equal justice for all.
6 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Unexpectedly BRILLIANT
pat-ricethepirate12 January 2020
Not only did this movie exceed my expectations, it made me re-think a lot about life. I was hesitant because of the ratings, but I saw it anyways and was not disappointed! The acting, the story line, and everything about it was beautiful. MUST SEE
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Superfluous
jsph_calabrese3 October 2019
I gained as much from Bryan Stevenson's powerful 10 minute TIFF screening introduction as I did from the 2 hour+ movie itself.

His character was void of nuance, overcame no personal obstacle, and experienced no true arc or transformation. Even Jesus Christ faced temptation in the desert... Stevenson being a perfect inspirational hero at every turn makes this narrative hard to connect with below the surface.

The well-intentioned message here works as a visual companion to one of his TED talks, but not as compelling cinema.
49 out of 164 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Story needs to be seen by as meany as possible
hoops929 January 2020
A knew a would enjoy the film knowing the three main actors but simply did not expect what a just seen. Story was outstanding, making you feel such a range of emotions. Performances from the actors were as expected excellent. Must see!
6 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Solid performances and a competent screenplay keep you engaged
Albino_Hyena30 December 2019
If I was to list this film's greatest strength, that would be its ability to pull you into the characters' situation and feel their sense of frustration at the injustice they face. The film opens with one man being aggressively arrested for a crime he didn't commit, then transitions to a young student visiting prison for the first time, where he meets a peer who turns out to be more relatable than expected. From there, the audience sees how these men are driven, what they're fighting for, and how it effects their lives as well as the community around them.

Michael B Jordan, as usual, was fantastic. He did a great job portraying this young idealist who, despite being Harvard educated and possessing solid evidence, finds himself unable to make the difference he originally thought he could. Jamie Foxx's performance was also great; he displayed genuine vulnerability and emotion as this embittered, beaten-down (but still somewhat hopeful) man in a cruel world.

I had no issues with the technical aspects of this movie; they didn't do anything special nor did they do anything wrong. This being a legal drama, the script might feel a bit predictable to some, and some of the dialog/speeches seemed a bit too grandiose for real life. There are a few scenes, especially the two montages set to music, that felt a bit cliched, but this movie also has two particular sequences (which I won't spoil here) in the second half that are very effective and powerful.

Overall, this is a well-made and well-acted movie adapted from a pretty important true story, so I would recommend it to anyone interested in criminal justice or simply anyone who enjoys cinema made with a purpose. *P.S, don't watch the full trailer; it showed way too much from the third act of the movie. I don't count that against the film itself, as the marketing team is separate from the cast and crew, but I just wanted to warn people.
6 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Emotional Educational and Powerful
atwyman-1741713 January 2020
Amazing acting and directing. This movie actually brought me to tears which is hard to do. It was emotional and powerful story to follow. I loved it
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just too slow
hpcmakeup21 December 2019
Maybe a different director could have saved this movie. The story is interesting, the acting is good but the pace is so slow. By the time the courtroom scenes happen my husband was completely checked out. There is never any real dramatic music or quicker paced scenes...everything is pretty monotone, with bland scenery and really boring wardrobe. I would have liked someone to have a personality, a little humor, interesting music...anything!!! It's unfortunate because the last 10 minutes are the highlight of the film but most probably won't make it to the end.
23 out of 85 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just Mercy is just ok
MJB78414 January 2020
I didn't think there was much story or suspense to it. It's about a lumberjack accused of murdering a woman just because he's black and they don't know who the killer is and the lawyer is newly graduated from law school. I found it mostly boring because there wasn't any explanation for why she was murdered or fingerprint evidence or any weapon. Richard Jewell was a more involving story about a victim accused of violence.
6 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A FILM FOR ALL TO SEE
boydstu3 January 2020
There are some films that explore criminal injustices, racism, and white supremacy that feel like they exist for the pleasure of some sick people to see black people be brutalized. This is not one of those films. Michael B Jordan, Brie Larson & Jamie Foxx do an outstanding job of conveying the pain, neglect, and conviction of their perspective roles.

Jordan plays the role of a recent Harvard law school grad who has decided to practice law in Alabama.

Larson, a white woman, accompanies him in his fight for equality and criminal justice. She plays her role well and does a great job of conveying emotion.

Foxx plays the role of a black man who was lied on about killing an 18 year old white woman and was given death row before his trial even began. I personally believe that Foxx was the show stealer because he commanded attention EVERYTIME he was on screen.

Just Mercy is tense, emotional from start to finish, and draws you in and doesn't let you go. It is important to note that the rest of the cast definitely bring their "A" game and make the story feel even more personal. Just Mercy is everything it set out to be and more.
6 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A must see
rberndt-2299710 January 2020
This movie was very powerful and did an excellent job conveying the messages as well as real life events written about in the book, Just Mercy. Bryan Stevenson and his colleagues are doing such meaningful and crucial work and I'm so glad more people will be made aware, if they weren't already. Michael B Jordan and Jamie Fox do an excellent job as well acting in this film.
4 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just mercy = just wow
katrina-holman6 January 2020
Had not heard of this true story before so i was glued to my seat the whole way through. Wow what a journey to get the truth! I wont spoil the story, just make sure you watch it, it's a real eye opener with how the blacks are and have been treated 😥
4 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.