Burn Your Maps (2016) Poster

What an incredible and profound film
Gordon-119 July 2019
This film tells the story of a young boy who has an obsession with him being a Mongolian nomad.

The story is already really good during the first fifteen minutes, and it gets even better as it goes along. The story is incredibly moving, and contains profound wisdom. The line saying that we come with nothing is just amazing. Who would have thought an indie film would be so wise and beautiful. I definitely recommend watching this.
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I want to be a Mongolian.
deloudelouvain24 January 2021
I was surprised in the amount of movies that kid Jacob Tremblay already played. At his young age he's already been is some good movies, even an excellent one like Room. In Burn Your Maps he's still only eleven but already a delight to watch. His character was funny and cute, it's what made this movie worth watching. The rest of the cast was also good with Vera Farmiga and Suraj Sharma playing the other two main characters. The story is just funny, a kid wanting to be a Mongolian and even though the Mongolian scenes are filmed in Alberta, Canada it looked like it could have been in Mongolia. Nice cinematography, very good acting and a pleasant story, Burn Your Maps got it all.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun fantasy
fmwongmd17 January 2020
Enjoyable fantasy about real problems dealt with in an innovative and interesting way. Vera Farmiga is good.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Would the child have been indulged this way if it was a girl?
Rogue-3210 November 2019
I seriously doubt it. This bugged me the entire time I was watching it.
3 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A beautifully touching film with great performances
maccas-5636723 September 2021
This film had become my white whale in recent years. It has taken me literally 5 years to see it. It's criminal how obscure Burn Your Maps has become - particularly given the incredible performances.

It felt unique and quirky. A young boy (Tremblay) becomes fixated on the idea he's a Mongolian goat herder who belongs in a Mongolian village. Through the ingenuity of his new friend Ismail (Sharma) he's able to venture to Mongolia with his grieving Mum (Farmiga) coming along too.

Burn Your Maps is as much about the grieving process and family, as it is being your authentic self. All elements work quite well together - it could even be categorised as a travel or adventure film. It's moving and emotional, while not falling too far into overly-sentimental moments.

Farmiga and Tremblay are at their best. The scenery is stunning (Canada stepping in for Mongolia). It's a beautiful film on many levels, with the incredible landscapes and cinematography adding to what is a touching story.

Glad I finally found this and was able to watch it. Gets you thinking about life, your identity and where you want to go. Burn Your Maps is a refreshing film in a cinematic era riddled with superheroes and reboots. Will check out the short story (of which this is based) by Robyn Joy Leff now!
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An utterly delightful film. What a delight.
latinfineart20 November 2019
I enjoyed this film, from start to finish. It was a wonderful story of lost souls, and many of us can relate to this concept of just not fitting in. The boy who starred in this film did a great job of portraying someone, who is lost in a fantasy world, due to real life tragedy, being a bit much to handle. Vera Farmiga did a lovely job as his supportive and understanding mother, though she was attempting to deal with the same family tragedy, in her own way. Martin Csokas was exceptional, as usual. A major talent. The wonderful Virginia Madsen had a great, though brief part. All the talent was outstanding.

The direction, soundtrack, performances, script, and editing were excellent. Why can't Hollywood make more films like this one. No car chases. No inane leaps of faith. Just a good, solid, heartfelt story.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Unwatchable
fluffchop4 August 2021
They have immature kids brains and simply don't get the complexities of adult life. This movie is garbage. The kid would be so picked on at school. Kids need to be taught, kids don't tell adults what to do.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Recommended
ham-ma24225 December 2019
I totally recommend this for those who want a underlying heavy drama with a light portrayal. It's an adventure type of movie where the surroundings and characters evolve, so much dynamic that you can watch this movie many times and still enjoy it.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Utterly beautiful
shbs-7159426 December 2019
Utterly beautiful, speechlessly brilliant.

I understand there aren't very many women directors, and there's a movement to encourage, so I reserve my final point in support of that worthy effort.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not adult driven
linobox1 December 2019
So keeping your job and trying to overcome tragedy is not proper? The best way is yo keep in touch with your spirituality and feelings while letting your children tell you how to live and behave all the way around. Huh?? What a bunch of crap. It's like Hollywood moarning 101. Jejeje.
7 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Heartwarming fantasy
Go65659 September 2021
This delightful film is a complete fantasy, especially once it leaves its urban setting for an entirely imaginary world of sun-drenched steppes and gambolling goats, full of benevolent, wise, leisured folks who queue up as soon as they are introduced to become our heroes' new best friends and mentors. It's all far too pleasant to be believable, but you would need a heart of the purest mud not to be taken in anyway. For all its wishful thinking, the story achieves the prerequisite for fantasy: it makes you want to know where this place is so that you can move there. The script is also often funny, and the actors are uniformly excellent.

The film has been criticised for not featuring enough Mongolian characters doing authentic Mongolian things, but I think that is missing the point of the story. This is not about actual Mongolia and its people, but about the vast open spaces, exciting and unknown, that open up in front of a nine-year old, just as his parents are seeing their own vistas suddenly shuttered by a personal disaster. This new world is only Asian and exotic in ways that are accessible to the child: grand scenery, semi-free farm animals, people who live in tents, unfamiliar language. But the emotional connections the boy and his mother make while there are, naturally, with people that they could have met in America. On the contrary, it is the other characters, coming over with no expectations, who find answers there to the questions that they did not know how to ask.
B-E-A-utiful...
vishlex25 December 2019
This film is a must watch for every person in the world.. Brilliant storyline... Mind blowing performances from every single character, however small part they were playing. Kudos to the director.. Pls let there me more of such films...
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nice, but 2 much cliché the longer it goes...
simon-658-23849626 June 2019
Nice movie, but i found the landscape strangely unmongolian, so: no, according to IMDB, shot nowhere near Mongolia. But thats not the only cliché. So, somwhat deceived, and disappointed... But the longer the story evolves, the heavier the clichés go, Americans and how they seem to behave but do not do, the mongolians, the indians... the father, the relationship... it suddenly all turns uncredible. Might have been better... if the went actualy to Mongolia to produce this movie...
12 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Tears of Utter Joy
shoutatthesky26 June 2019
I am one to shed a tear at an emotional movie but this one had me sobbing with pure emotional bliss. Profound truths are revealed. A simple change of perspective can transform soul level pain into blissful joy. Simple, yet profound truth.
7 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beautiful coming of age movie.
joneong5 July 2019
I don't know anything about this movie but I'm glad i watched it. Very well made and has a very powerful message. This won't waste your time.
4 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really good
mav112313 July 2019
I usually prefer mindless action films. However, some dramas are very moving life experiences; Burn Your Maps is one of them, especially if life has ever thrown you a curve and made you feel like a fish out of water and/or set you adrift. Great story, great acting all around. I highly recommend it.
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
awful, awful, class b movie.
michalkowalski-0872424 January 2020
The depth of things that happened are shallow as a puddle. Don't waste your time. I'm sad we wasted ours. It was as if high schoolers made this movie for a class project. Terrible.
2 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I FINALLY FOUND THIS WONDERFUL MOVIE!!!
aimyemcdowell-0064821 October 2018
After a year of searching, here it is... The free "Cyberflix apk" app has this movie to stream and download... Google how to download Cyberflix. It took me one minute... Rather than review cinematic perfection, I'll say this... In the current climate of #metoo and #equalpay, it's BEYOND DISAPPOINTING to see Hollywood blatantly refuse to support, promote or release this MASTERPIECE. "Burn Your Maps" is a project created, birthed and perfected by WOMEN AND CHILDREN... A hands down, no contest Oscar sweep for any studio lucky enough to back it. However, men run the industry and if it doesn't contain sex, drugs, violence or pixels,..well, they'd rather catch a disease than be seen as soft. Or in touch... The writing, acting, cinematography, it's all top notch. The story? Fuhgeddaboudit.... Now its 3 yrs old and ineligible. But what a contender this tough little movie could've been... It's also not every day you get to see strong female leads sharing a screen with such ease... SEE THIS MOVIE IF U DO NOTHING ELSE... DON'T LET THE HOLLYWOOD EGOS WIN. THIS PROJECT WAS CLEARLY A LABOR OF LOVE FOR ALL INVOLVED.... ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
12 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
WOW JUST WOW!!!
chasechristeson25 February 2021
This is the kind of movie the world needs. One that is simple and yet crazy at the same time. Like who even sits down and thinks. "Hmmm, how about a movie/book about a young white American boy who thinks he is Mongolian"? This is originality at it's finest! This may be one of the most underrated films in the past decade and I so wish for it to be seen by more people. This movie will make you laugh, it will make you cry, it will make you cringe, and make you smile; and feel all of these different emotions at the same time! I can not by any means, do this film enough justice in describing it. All I can do is encourage everyone that I can to watch this film. It will make your day, trust me!
It never leaves you.
jessicasriley23 March 2018
I first saw this movie at TIFF in September 2016. It is now March 2018. I still think about it. Every few months, I find myself desperately searching for a way to watch it again. It is amazing.

Without seeing it, you can have no idea how powerful it is, not without some major emotional spoilers. When the film started, I liked it and respected the acting but had no idea how far it would go. By the end and through the Q&A, it seemed the whole theatre was crying. I still cry at times when I really think about it. Not because it's sad - it contains sadness but is way too multi dimensional to call it sad - but more because it is simply moving. It brings you up and down and all around and I believe that very few movies help their audience relate to the characters to that extent. Thank you to everyone involved in its production for helping me watch it once. I hope very much that I can see it a second time.
10 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So people don't experience grief in different ways?
kellimcm19 September 2020
This was disturbing in many ways. Just because someone experiences grief in a different way doesn't make them bad. They left out the father completely in this movie. The little boy, max was annoying, why would you let a little boy dictate how you act towards others? I hated the mother. So selfish.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Finding out who you really are
fubs-22-60900518 October 2017
"Burn Your Maps" is one of those perfect films, a rarity in today's market where too many films leave you feeling nothing. Not so with "Burn Your Maps." The story alone will stay with you for many heartbeats. In fact, you'll probably observe that many adults are not as intuitive or as open as Wes, 9 years old, and one of the main characters in the film. I rarely rate a film as 10, but the acting, the writing, the directing and the cinematography all come together and create a wonderful cinematic moment that will resonate with the viewer forever.
20 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fantasy
rob-3247225 July 2021
Everything rotates around Wes. Wes is a spoilt brat.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Strong plot with superb acting
ssundquist18 October 2017
This is a "small" movie with a very big heart. The acting is superb on so many levels. I really felt so much of the turmoil that this family was experiencing as well as the love and care they had for each other but were not able to communicate. Please know that this is not some kind of drawing room drama but has stunning cinematography, a great musical score, and a wide appeal. I would happily see it again with friends and/or family just to share the experience with them.
7 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Welcome to Amazing Mongolia
dulguuntamir20 May 2019
Love Mongolia. Welcome to Mongolian nomadic live. Hollywood in Mongolia.
4 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.