The Emoji Movie (2017) Poster

All 10 star reviewers must be paid by Sony
raiderhrhr29 December 2017
No way anyone in their right mind and not being paid to would give this 10 stars.
55 out of 78 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Would rate 0 if I could
mayahzdog12 June 2018
This film rips off Wreck It Ralph, Inside Out, and The Lego Movie. The story was boring, the jokes were unfunny, HI-5 was more annoying and obnoxious than funny, and it portrays teens as phone addicts who can't go 5 seconds without their phones, even in class. While I may also be a teen who spends a lot of her time online, I get off when I need to. The animation is good, but good animation cannot save a bad film from being bad.

"Oh, but Galán, you're just not part of the film's target audience!"

I know that, but I'm also not part of the target audience for the films it rips off (Well I was when they came out) and I still enjoy them. Sony cancelled the Popeye movie for this, and the Popeye movie looked like it had more effort put into it, it looked more promising. I luckily didn't have to pay to see it, but to the fellows who rated 1 star and had to pay, I'm sorry.

So the only things I liked were the animation, and that the teens looked like actual teens rather than twenty-something year olds (while they cast adults to play teens in live-action teen movies, I've seen some animation where the teens still look like adults).
15 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I WANT MY LIFE BACK.
maiacdlp11 January 2018
You look at this title page and think, Oh, what a cute movie about emojis! You watch the film and think, I want my life back! This movie contains a ridiculous plot that sounds like the creators are just trying to sell about 100000000 emoji pillows. The plot isn't even that clear, and it's hard to understand why anyone's doing anything in the first place. The interactions between characters are weird and unnatural.

But let's start from the obvious. This film contained two game tutorials and three demonstrations. You can practically see a little four year old thinking about how great Dropbox is as they watch this excuse for a motion picture.

You would assume a movie to be enjoyable, artistic, original, and funny. The Emoji Movie is none of these things. Absolutely unoriginal - a typical story about someone who doesn't fit in. None of the jokes in this entire movie even made me smile. It is an insult to the arts. When you put all that I have said together, you can assume that it was not enjoyable either.

I beg you not to pay to have one hour and thirty-one minutes of your life wasted.
19 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
There is nothing
John-o-Boy-o27 July 2017
If I was God, and I heard this product was not only being made, not only being promoted, but actually released, then I would invite Satan over to manage the heavens so I could personally eradicate my failure below. This is the sort of product - because this is not truly a movie, as the word "movie" is too suggestive of art - that corporations fawn over. And they did. Believe it or not, three major production studios *fought* to make this happen.

Of course, they wouldn't spend too much: Minions, a product almost as artless as this one, cost $74 million and runs for 91 minutes. In comparison, The Emoji Movie cost $50 mil and runs for 86 minutes. A 91-minute-long Emoji Movie would cost a mere $52.91 million; Sony cares less than the company that brought us screaming yellow screen- fever. They threw as little as they could at it.

But that's just the math. In order to fully appreciate how apocalyptic this wretched insult to all things sincere is, consider the following; You, the assumed person seeking entertainment, go to the movie theater expecting to take a break or have fun. And while the blatant advertising (Dropbox™ is an important plot point, there's a pointless scene with Just Dance, apps all around etc.) and banality may be entertainingly laughable, the very same slithery gargoyles that gave you this product get the money. They count their cash, and they think "Hey, that worked."

So they give you more of the same thing. And more of it. And more, until the idiocy is familiar and the ads the norm. It's already happened to music, with the same notes and lyrics repeated over and over again. Here we have the same situation staring us down, except instead of ass and cash the contents are something else they're trying to sell you.

The Emoji Movie is an ad that you pay to see. Of course product placement already exists in film. The Lego Movie and Toy Story both feature products as characters, but those films had heart and personality. Here, there is nothing but product placement. Anything resembling humanity is just padding for the next app to appear. How vile for a product that constantly tells you to "express yourself."

Do not watch this thing. Don't bring your kids to see it. Don't watch it ironically. Whatever your beliefs, biases, intentions, anything, do not give companies the thumbs up to feed us mediocre, heartless drivel.
537 out of 956 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This movie was a pile of poo
Bullwinkle9627 July 2017
The Emoji Movie is the worst movie I have ever seen in my hopefully short life. The funniest thing about this "jam packed comedy" was the fact that I was that nobody in the whole audience was laughing. The plot was predictable I felt no emotion towards a single character. The puns were poo quite literally. I had to apologise to my distraught family after taking them to see this film. I knew it would be bad but I didn't think it would be quite this bad. I am still in trouble from my wife for forcing her to put up with all 90 minutes of this predictably boring film.
472 out of 882 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The theater was crowded. Most People loved it despite the unjust extremely low ratings!.
avirariva11 August 2017
The Emoji Movie is an excellent family-comedy movie if not the best from Sony Pictures.

Hidden inside a smartphone, the bustling city of Textopolis is home to all emojis. Each emoji has only one facial expression, except for Gene, an exuberant emoji with multiple expressions. Determined to become "normal" like the other emojis, Gene enlists the help of his best friend Hi-5 and a notorious code breaker called Jailbreak. During their travels through the other apps, the three emojis discover a great danger that could threaten their phone's very existence.

The theater was crowded with people (especially with children and their parents) who despite of the extremely low ratings and the bad reviews challenged and saw this entertaining and hilarious movie.
325 out of 610 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent Movie ,Unbelievable Why It Is Underrated And Hated!.
muslimbellydancer31 July 2017
Me and my son Muhammad were shocked how this great and funny 3D movie whose budget is 50 million dollars is so underrated and hated.

The film centers on Gene, a multi-expressional emoji who lives in a teenager's phone, and who sets out on a journey to become a normal meh emoji like his parents.

My son Muhammad and I laughed and saw this movie too entertaining for kids and adults and the thing that convinces us to see despite the unstoppable attack on it is that it has already reached number 1 in the US Box Office and that many open-minded people did not believe the malicious hatred against a quality movie like this.
375 out of 711 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The best movie in the world!
wepackmusic28 July 2017
The emoji movie is the next citizen Kane of movies it is brilliant and it is definitely is my favorite anime of all time... The story goes as follows Gene the Meh emoji struggles to find his inner self I really really like this plot because it has not already been done 5 million times before also people say that this is a rip off of wreck it Ralph they are wrong this movie is much more emotional than wreck it Ralph and has much better scenes then Wreck it Ralph people also compare this to Pixar's inside out of how similar the story is inside out is a piece of smiling emoji poop compared to this masterpiece I love the emoji movie and so should you!
191 out of 364 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Actually Amazing!!
christopherliquez28 July 2017
I can say this is by far one of the funniest and most cringiest movies ever. Although it did surprise me on how well the animation is and the characters are fun and cute. At first I wanted to watch this as a joke to enter the theaters with my Emoji pillows and other merch I have but as I got into the movie it actually made sense, me thinking I was high wasn't a reality. I suggest you take the time to watch it and experience it yourself to see if a movie is good or not.
115 out of 217 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ignore the haters. Emoji Movie is DA BOMB!
hardandwaiting30 July 2017
If the makers of Tuscan Milk and the creators of the Three Wolf Moon shirt decided to make a film. Emoji Movie would be the result. Bright, crisp fluid animation meets the modern-day version of Shakespeare (though nowhere nears as boring). The characters almost leap off the screen as they are so believable. Then, with such an all-star cast (including Stiffler's mom. STIFFLER'S MOM)

The DVD and Blu-Ray sales are going to be OFF THE CHARTS! I would suggest pre-ordering whatever deluxe steelbook 4k edition now as to not disappointment little Bobby or Suzie on Christmas morning. In the meantime, I would suggest multiple rewatches. Heck, find a homeless person and take them with you to see this film. It is so awesome and life-changing that when they are through witnessing this triumph of entertainment, the will no longer be a hobo.

I really wish I had more stars to give.
136 out of 264 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Masterpiece of the Cinematic Art Form
henryhillman-3884929 July 2017
"The Emoji Movie" has one of the most abstract, interesting, and unique plot lines ever seen in Cinema. This excellency is not just in the plot line of the movie. With the fleeting quality in recent movies, the Emoji Movie is a breath of fresh air. The characters are realistic and interesting. For example, the character, Gene, is one of the best portrayals of a person with a problem of fitting in. Personally, this movie ranks up with "Casablanca".
116 out of 223 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
When I was a child I loved to draw cartoons and wa...
loraleejessome28 July 2017
When I was a child I loved to draw cartoons and was inspired by the many brilliant works of Disney and other classic animation. It was a lifelong dream that I would one day become an animator myself. How stupid I was, not thinking just how much the would change as I became an adult. Western 2D animation is dead, which is awful enough, but now they've come out with this brainless, mindless mess of pus-yellow-colored human waste. My dreams are dead. Everything I worked so hard at was a waste. A FAILURE. NO ONE in North America has ANY talent anymore. Last year we did have some decent stuff like Zootopia and Finding Dory, but this year it was two leaps forwards, a hundred gigantic leaps back. Now will someone kindly stop the world so I can get off?
412 out of 847 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
i thought it was really great
joshuaameyaw4 August 2017
I'm tired of people friken saying the movie is bad, i thought it was really good, one of the best movies this year actually, and i don't care if people judge me, going to the movie i expected something bad, but the i got the idea out my mind and really enjoyed it, the media is a bitch, sorry for my language but it is, you cant let some you tube video or some famous person tell u when something is bad, that's the mistake i made, but i learned, make your own decisions people, don't rely on others to make em for u, stop being misled so easily, u don't haft to agree with other people, its not going to help u get popular, that's why were all becoming dumber, anyway i thought it was good, also its towards kids so if your under like 16 u have a bigger chance of liking it, so most of the people who said its bad either were misled by videos or are over 16, so yeah, make your own choices people, and this was mine.
103 out of 198 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A cinimac master piece
jaked-7612720 April 2018
This move is the best move I've ever seen and the only move I've ever given a perfect 501988147 out of 10 and for good reason the characters were very developed and were not rushed at all the romantic was overs and the characters had good chemistry over all this move did hreat and all the bad reviews were just being paid
39 out of 69 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The best movie ever
planeman2327 July 2017
This is the best movie I have ever seen. The cinematography and screenplay were superb. the voice acting was incredible and I felt like I was on the phone throughout the whole film. There is no way this movie won't win Oscars for best picture, director, animated movie and all other categories.
165 out of 332 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best movie all year.
jezdanielodonnell29 July 2017
This movie was an inspirational excitement. I has a the best features a movies should have. I had the best jokes, and i was laughing all the way through. I don't understand all the negative comments, they clearly didn't understand the true meaning behind the movie. Underrated and brilliant.
97 out of 189 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Way better then critics think
rhoda_s_girl17 February 2018
Definitely better then critics (who know diddly squat) rate. Thought it was funny, surprisingly endearing, and perfect for both kids and adult. Loved the voice overs and honestly thought this was better then I thought it would be. The dialogue was crisp and not at all dull or boring and the animation was pretty good. Like said, don't listen to the mainstream critics, they wouldn't know a good movie if it hit them in the face...
30 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A truly masterpiece. Legendary.
nikkipeedgames3 August 2017
Masterpiece. Simply a masterpiece.

Emojis, yeah, I don't like them. But I still appreciate this movie.

My grandchildren will watch this, they need to know what does art means.

Excellent animation and dubbing.

Burst out laughing at the theater.

I've almost been banned for laughing that loud.

God, this is possibly the best film ever made.

Best of the year, deserves an Oscar. In all of the categories.

Oh, I really enjoyed every single second of that movie.

You really should watch it.
69 out of 131 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing movie
fipidreborn27 July 2017
This is the greatest film to ever be created. It's full of wit, charm, and Family Guy funny moments. My favorite part was when the hand ate his own puke, classic humor that never gets old. The plot is fairly simple, our main character, Gene, is a meh emoji. Gene struggles to fit in because he has dynamic emotions. Gene then goes on a quest to become static, and that concludes my review
93 out of 181 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So much talent was put into this movie and honestly...
jbailey-9394728 July 2017
It showed. There were hilarious moments, there were sad moments, there were romantic moments. I teared up at a certain part of the movie (don't wanna spoil it). I think my favorite person in the movie was Sir Patrick Stewart as the Poop Emoji. (I don't understand why he has a bow tie but I digress.) I feel like a better emoji could have been used instead of Meh but It still fit in alright. I DID NOT like that the Eggplant was part of the never used emojis because lets be honest (we all know how much it is used). All in all this was a quality movie.
103 out of 202 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's such a great movie!
juliemoss-4564418 April 2018
This movie was so cute! I loved it!! I don't understand why it hasn't such poor reviews! It was an adorable cartoon with a great storyline!
33 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Terrible
pujjikabir24 February 2018
Thought it would be so bad that it was funny, it was so bad it wasn't even funny
34 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Emoji-fun
baca_hay10 May 2018
The emoji movie is filled with bright characters and a new take on the animation genre. Whilst most say this movie was made as an advertisement for certain companies, and I can't hesitate do do the "Emoji Pop" during parties.
A Watch For Sure!!!
ashishsandhu-7745722 April 2018
I Just Feel, This is a Movie that Has Nothing to get Bored about. The Story Was Quite Interesting and it turned out to be a great movie. For Kids Its Just Awesome, For Adults Its a huge break and the interesting one that everyone loves to enjoy!!!

A Movie to Bring the Real You, For Those Who Urge to find Themselves, Who want To find Them!!!
Simply perfect.
tomcaseharcourt8 April 2018
This is The Shawshank Redemption of the animated films. Failing that description; it's as good as The Goodfellas and The Godfather combined. There is very little to make it any better apart from nothing whatsoever!!

Watch it, take your family to watch it and then, watch it again.