The Invisible Guest (2016) Poster

Defend yourself, sir.
BiiivAL5 June 2018
Again, a successful example of a Spanish thriller-detective, who informally became a separate genre of world cinema. Moreover, the guest was shot by Oriol Paolo, a man who put his hand to such important tapes as "Enlightenment" (as a screenwriter) and "Body" (as a director and screenwriter).

Quite often in Spanish cinema, the action does not immediately gain momentum, but only after a while. This film did not become an exception. Initially, "Guest" may seem boring and slightly tightened, but soon enough the story begins to add to the dynamics and does not let the viewer go until the final credits. It is worth noting how well the director builds the narrative, differently presented the same events and deftly manipulating our expectations. The story line perfectly fits the chic atmospheric music.

In addition to the script, which is the main advantage of the tape, it is worth mentioning the cast of actors, represented by the colorful and highly sought-after in modern Spanish cinema Mario Casas ("Three meters above the sky", "Witches of Sugar-Murdi"), Jose Coronado ("Body") and Anoy Wachener ("Beauty"). The presence in the frame of recognizable faces, undoubtedly, goes to the film for good.

If you are not a connoisseur of the detective genre, or have not seen the previous work of Oriol Paolo, then the film outcome will certainly seem unpredictable and somewhat shocking to you. And those viewers who saw the same "Body", for certain will notice a certain similarity of these two pictures and the repetition of the director himself. All this, however, does not cancel the fact that the "Invisible Guest" is quite a worthy representative of its genre and at least one viewing deserves it.

The invisible guest is a one-time and far from ideal but intriguing and atmospheric psychological detective with elements of a thriller with worthy acting work, an ornate story and worthy final revelation.
105 out of 111 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Completely shocked
mongeortiz4 July 2017
Over the past months I've realized how much improvement have Spanish movies and series done in their works. However, when it comes to thrillers, I tend to be very selective and delicate because there are a lot of elements to take into consideration.

The Invisible Guest accomplish almost all the elements in any checklist of a perfect thriller-suspense movie. The script forces you to think quickly, you can't get distracted for a second because you'll miss an important detail.

The story is told in a puzzling-kind of way, letting you feel like you finally know what is going on, just to tear your expectation apart with a new shocking truth.

Some of the actors did a pretty good job. A remarkable performance was the one from Victoria Goodman.

The music is absolutely engaging. The twisted feeling you get with the melody traps you into the story. The different tones and volumes of the music actually happen in agreement with the intensity of the sequence.

100% RECOMMENDED.
111 out of 125 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hollywood stop for 2hrs, watch this movie, take note and LEARN!!!!
vellaruben6 May 2018
I wont explain anything, it would be a waste of time. My only review is this: WATCH THIS MOVIE RIGHT NOW!!!!!!
87 out of 100 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Want to see a great thriller? This is it!
andrbdeea9 April 2017
Can't believe this movie doesn't have more reviews here. This being my 6th movie with Mario Casas I've seen these past 2 years I can honestly say anything this man plays in becomes a hit.

What an amazing ride I had with this thriller. Top-notch movie, whenever you think you found out the plot it becomes even more twisted.

This is what thrillers are all about. A must see for the genre lovers.
161 out of 193 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Waooo!!! Perfect Movie
ruhsa22 February 2018
This is one of the best movies I've ever seen. The incredible performances of the main actress along with fantastic story line make this movie unforgettable. The end is really amazing, the movie keeps pointing you to wrong directions all the time, until eventually reveals the whole truth.

This movie is simply .. . extraordinary. I am so happy because I have watch this movie. It's an art!

My rating is 9/10 .
66 out of 77 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A very good Spanish film, Hollywood must take it for example
florian_florica29 March 2017
I haven't seen many Spanish movies so far, but I can honestly say that Contratiempo/Invisible Guest is about to be brilliant. I am not familiarized with the actors from the cast, but I can say that their acting is a very good performance and all the filming crew made a good job with this one ! Filming angles, soundtrack, story line, cast, plot, etc, all of them are a lot above the average thriller/mystery clichés that Hollywood got us used to, but still it has some minor issues that, in my opinion, of course, I would have changed. Those 'little problems' made me to decide this movie is a 9, not a 10, a 10 would be a perfect masterpiece, however, this one approaches perfection somehow. 1 hour and 46 minutes are surprisingly enough for this film, even if it may seem too little for a 9-rated movie, for the entire time I didn't get bored or badly surprised, it was just very thrilling and full of action and mystery. Contratiempo is, in my opinion, a must watch for thriller/mystery enthusiasts and legal movie fans.
129 out of 159 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wow!
brockleyavenue7 May 2017
Being an avid Thriller watcher, I came across this Gem by accident....and what an adventure this movie takes you on. Who Done It, comes to mind and just when you have solved it, it then twists you into another scenario. It is in Spanish and there are Subtitles, but it doesn't take away from this masterpiece. Well done, Oriol Paulo for his direction, and well done on the film editing. I will be watching out for more of Paulo's films. Well and truly worth the watch.
91 out of 112 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Holy . . . one of the best movies I have ever seen.
bola_de_pu22 June 2017
Wow, just wow. I'm and avid fan of thriller movies, but this one give me goosebumps. Jose Coronado always steal the show since I see him for the first time in another great Spanish thriller, "El Cuerpo". For one moment, you think you have all the pieces of the puzzles but the director of this masterpiece persistently change the answers and the questions. By the way, the director and writer of "Contratiempo" is the same one of "El Cuerpo". That's not a coincidence, Mr. Oriol Paulo can write. If you're a fan of thriller movies and you're having a hard time trying to find a good movie, this is the one. I say it's better that the 85% of the Hollywood thrillers these days. Another Spanish film that beat a lot of Hollywood movies without the promo and a gigantic budget. What a masterpiece!
85 out of 105 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awesome suspense thriller.
Fella_shibby15 June 2017
Saw this recently on a DVD. The movie is an excellent suspense thriller. It was full of twists and surprises. The movie has unexpected turns n hidden clues. It is masterfully directed n exquisitely written by Oriol Paulo. Superbly acted by everyone that appears in it. It also contains beautiful cinematography, great pacing n skilled editing. The plot- a powerful businessman stands accused of murdering his lover. He was found with her dead body in a locked hotel room. The twist ending will leave you with ur hand on ur head. The director's debut film, The Body has been on my radar for a long time. Fans of Jagged edge, Primal fear, Usual suspects will definitely enjoy this.
82 out of 106 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolutely outstanding thriller.
LarisaVD13 August 2018
One of the best thrillers I have seen in a long time. Brilliant acting, script, directing. Bravo Spain!
24 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I am trying to collect myself...
anchy-bujic14 June 2017
Still speechless, I've come here to write this review. This movie is one of the best movies I've ever seen. PERIOD. I loved it and am sure YOU will too. I caught myself being suspicious of the final outcome but it was nothing near as close as it turned out to be. Watch it. It's thrilling, emotional, suspenseful, mind-blowing, an edge-of-your-seat movie. These Spanish movies really are something. They manage to put you on an emotional roller coaster and show you something you never thought a movie could do. WOW!
71 out of 95 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Impossible to fault
jtindahouse8 May 2017
I'm widely known for enjoying French cinema, however I believe this is the first Spanish film I have ever seen. I'm glad to confirm that it will not be my last, because this movie was incredible. It was the type of film that I like more than any other type. A mystery thriller that is guaranteed to have a twist. It's also a type of movie that Americans don't do overly well. They always seem to think that a movie needs endless car chases and shoot-outs and that the story should just be there to facilitate those. The Europeans seem to understand that the true brilliance in cinema comes from the writing side of things. The intricate webs they weave never cease to astound me.

It's always a little hard to judge acting in a subtitled film, but I'm pretty confident in saying the acting in this film was superb. The entire cast found a perfect balance of charisma and mysteriousness to surround their character. The story is crafted exquisitely and has a lot of rewatchability factor. In fact it's almost a must to watch it again, knowing what you now know. I love films that do that.

It's very hard to find any negatives with this film. In fact I've just spent 5 minutes trying to come up with some and failed. That should indicate just how good this movie is. I hope films like this never stop being made because they are an absolute delight to watch.
89 out of 121 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enjoyed big time
yishi-7694020 August 2018
Can't believe I didn't see that coming!!! Watched several times
12 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An "A-S-T-O-N-I-S-H-I-N-G" thriller
knick6 April 2018
Having just watched this film and having read most of its reviews, I can tell you just one thing. This is an "A-S-T-O-N-I-S-H-I-N-G" THRILLER. Please do yourselves a big favor and watch this genuine MASTERPIECE. Oh my God !!!
19 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Be My Guest
Richie-67-4858525 July 2017
This is a movie where when paying attention to every scene the viewer is rewarded with meaningful and purposeful action and dialog not suspecting that all the while something is afoot but what? That's why you stay tuned and glued to the screen not wanting to miss out on what is being acted out or presented. This is the first time I have come across this type of thriller. You see not only does this movie entertain but it also challenges you to take a side and share a point of view that when done is doubted because of the next scene and what takes place. Just when you think you have a reasonable explanation for what is and has taken place, a new fact enters in making you say "what is going on" in a good way. At that point, you are wholly committed and don't know that you have been captured and the movie now has you in its grasp. This is quality entertainment. Kudos to the story teller, the director and actors for pulling off a nice memorable movie that you will want to not only discuss but recommend as well. I always watch Netlfix with subtitles because I have learned so much goes on in movies that one may miss and the sub titles make little comments like wind blowing or so & so is speaking or car door slamming enabling the viewer to become intimate with the flick. My wife and I read every line and even rewound a couple of scenes to see if we were "getting this". All and all a good, decent ride. Highly recommend sunflower seeds or popcorn so you don't chew your nails to shreds and forget about any and all distractions (cell phone) too. Give this movie your time and it will give you a nice return on that time guaranteed
30 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another good Spanish mystery movie
deloudelouvain2 May 2017
I'm not very familiar with all the Spanish actors and actresses but I'm sure the ones in this movie must be the better ones from Spain. Because the acting is really good in Contratiempo or The Invisible Guest. The story is everything you want when you want to watch a mystery crime thriller. It's never boring, with plenty of twists and turns. All you want to do is know how this story will end. It keeps your attention from the first second till the last one. I saw plenty of Spanish movies and some are really good, way above average. This one is definitely one of the good ones. If you look for a good entertaining mystery movie search no further and watch The Invisible Guest. You won't regret it.
40 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mindfucking
shailybahuguna13 February 2019
Haven't seen a perfect suspense thriller like this in the longest time. A must watch. Perfecto!!
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
WOW THE ENDING! YOU'RE GOING TO DO THAT TO ME!
ShaiyaRaina23 November 2018
I can not believe how this ended! (SHOCKING)! YOU WILL NOT SEE THIS COMING!
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is what we call thriller!!
Emerenciano29 July 2018
Thrillers, as I see them, I not simply another action film. Thrillers thrill! That's it, simple as it may sound. And this titles thrills! From the first minute to the very end of the film we enjoy what we see. The plot is great and what a direction! Great! I highly recommend "Contratiempo".
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Above average thriller with plenty of twists , turns and a suspenseful finale
ma-cortes3 April 2017
This is a top-notch thriller about a young businessman called Adrián Doria (Mario Casas) contracts an advocate at law (Ana Wagener) who attempts to prove his innocence for a strange crime of his lover (Barbara Lennie) happened at a luxury hotel , but events are about to get even worse . Adrián is a famous businessman and also happily married , but then his spouse to be aware his detention and treason . Shortly after , his ordinary lawyer (Francesco Orellá) informs him there is a witness to the killing has appeared and then things go awry .

¨The Invisible Guest¨ contains twisted mysteries , emotion , thrills , action and suspense . This is a highly mysterious and cerebral thriller , filled with plot twists , including an unexpected denouement in its ending part . From start to finish the complicated intrigue , fast-paced , thrills , and suspense result to be continuous . Hitchcock-style psychological thriller , being surprisingly good and compellingly shot . The original as well entertaining premise is overspread across the movie adding some brief conventional pitfalls . The main cast is frankly good , as Mario Casas as the egoistic businessman accused of murdering his sweetheart played by Barbara Lennie who plays perfectly his beautiful lover . Support cast is pretty good such as Francesc Orella , Paco Tous , David Selvas and José Coronado as a revengeful father seeking justice . Special mention for Ana Wagener as a cunning lawyer and playing a double role . The picture is very well , though sometimes stagy and it has a lot of turns . However , being very entertaining for its successive suspense . This mystery murder was stunningly produced by various prestigious producers : Eneko Lizarraga , Núria Valls Sofía Fábregas , Mercedes Gamero , Sandra Hermida , Adrián Guerra , and Mikel Lejarza , all of them have financed a great number of successes in the recent Spanish cinema . This interesting thriller displays a colorful and luxurious cinematography by Xavy Giménez . Being shot on location in Vizcaya , País Vasco , Girona and Barcelona, Catalonia . And stirring and emotive score by Fernando Velázquez . This recent film by Spanish writer/director Oriol Paulo was well and professionally directed . Oriol previously realized short movies , he wrote "The Julia eyes" and directed the successful "The body" or ¨El Cuerpo¨ , another suspense style similar to ¨The invisible guest¨ or ¨Contratiempo¨. It is well worth watching and it packs several thrilling as well as suspenseful scenes . rating : 7.5/10 , better than average ; it is a highly mysterious movie that keeps you interested and expecting .
38 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
SPOT ON!!
mickyeverton22 March 2019
Do yourself a favour & see this film!! That's all I'm saying!! Don't forget to turn off your mobiles, you don't want any interruptions!! 👍👍👍👍👍
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My favourite thriller of the year!
jkt200627 January 2019
Don't know what more to say about this amazingly well directed and executed movie, it's a masterpiece, a gem! Why don't we get to see more of such movies from Hollywood and elsewhere, I mean this is one brilliant example of what a great movie can be made like. The moment I finished watching it, I told myself THiS is the kind of movie that makes me love cinema and movies so much! Don't know what more to say....Check it out for yourself!
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the best movies I had watched in MANY Many years!!
stavrosalo15 January 2019
Simply one of the best thrillers I had seen in many years. Having watched 'The Body' before, and now this; Oriol Paulo is definitely a name to be reckoned with. This movie is simply flawless; the plot, the acting, the twists, and the finale... I'm beyond impressed, a true Masterpiece. Please leave whatever you are doing and watch it now. Can't wait for Paulo's Upcoming movies.
Mind Blowing movie
sinan_yildirim075 November 2018
Fantastic movie with a fantastic end. Must watch this movie and the el cuerpo from same director. If you like mystery and thriller must see this one. My rate is 9/10
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A definition of what a thriller should be!
wotsonurmind18 September 2018
All hollywood directors should be asked to watch this spanish gem and learn the basics of story telling,editing ,music,etc of a mainstream thriller that thrills and keeps you on the edge of the seat. No matter the holes in the script or the acting,etc the whole package is a superb piece of film making and reminds you of some of the Korean classics in the genre. The director's previous attempts have been great but this one does it the best! Unmissable!