Still Here (2020) Poster

(III) (2020)

This movie is the Best of the year!
bullock-beth-576-60253613 January 2021
I'm a white lady and old. But these actors were so powerful in their performance that I actually felt their pain not only because they were black but because their daughter was black and no one cared. Because they were black. This movie was so full of emotion. The actors made me see into their pain. I'm not prejudiced at all but I can see this same thing happens a lot in real life. This movie should win an Emmy and an Oscar. And the performance of the entire cast is superb but the guy that played the dad....man you need your own reward. You did a really good job. I hope to see all these actors again.
10 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Powerful Performances
oaklep5 September 2020
Superb acting from a largely unknown (by me, anyway) cast. Engaging and involving story. I have to say I'm always more compelled to watch movies based on true events. This one held me throughout. As a side note fans of Zazie Beetz (the one face I DID recognise) should be aware her role is of a 'Cameo' nature and lasts only a couple of minutes. Great film.
8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good intentions...
jbongiovanni329 August 2020
Johnny Whitworth is raw and unfiltered. He grounds the reality of his scenes and steps into a vulnerability and humanity anchoring the darker moments of Still Here. Maurice McRae, although theatrical at times, brings heartbreak and despair to a very tough role. The circumstances of this script are heavy, and the weight of the world is showcased. There is an energy present in this film that supports and empowers white privilege. Vlad Feier, a filmmaker with an obligation to tell his perspective of the truth skews the importance of this topic with exaggerated earnestness. Hollywood has used the white savior trope for a long time as a structure to tell stories of POC. This false and limited perspective is damaging and ego driven with the "intention" of supporting Black stories. The continuation of this narrative is not in support of what it claims it stands for but rather of White people who carry the god complex. Some of the performances are over the top and there are slight technical issues, (i.e. breaking 180 line). The V.O.'s were not necessary and distracted from the behavior of the two leads.

Still Here is difficult to watch at times but hopefully the emotion of a father looking for his missing daughter will impact all audiences regardless.
9 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Honest portrayal
trinaboice2 September 2020
IN A NUTSHELL: Inspired by a true story, this social drama offers a mystery, but also a serious look at the missing children epidemic in the world today. What's crazy is that another similar story was in the news only one week after the principal photography wrapped up and it happened just a few blocks from where the movie was filmed.

Written and directed by Vlad Feier. This is also his directorial debut! Great job!

According to the FBI's National Crime Information Center, there are a total of 465,676 active missing person records. As one of the characters in the movie says, "This is not just a police department's responsibility. It is the people's responsibility."

TIPS FOR PARENTS: This is a serious drama with no action or humor and with a very difficult topic. Profanity, including 1 F-bomb Most kids will be bored watching this. Parents will be heartbroken.

THEMES: Seeing through your soul, not just your eyes Truth Missing children Faith Hope Family, parenting

THINGS I LIKED: I thought Maurice McRae was excellent. I really felt his pain. I liked the honest and hopeful message of the film and that it brings to light an issue that is easily overlooked in society. No country is exempt. A lot of the cast was very good, except for a few overacting moments. It was really frustrating to see how corrupt and even apathetic the police department was. I know there are a lot of really great policemen who risk their lives every day to protect our communities, but I also believe that there are some bad cops like the ones portrayed in the film. The violent riots in the USA right now are not going to solve the problem. Cops are leaving their jobs and moving out of the cities in droves because of them. Then who is going to protect the people? Vigilantes? Defunding the police makes no sense. Retraining them or not hiring racists are two options. We all need to work together to solve problems. That may sound simplistic, but what's happening in the United States right now is definitely not helping. As a parent, I know it's impossible to be with your child every minute of the day. We need to teach our kids how to protect themselves and stay away from dangerous situations as much as possible. That doesn't guarantee our kids will be safe, but we can help increase their awareness and personal protection skills a little bit. I was happy to see faith introduced in the movie, even though this is not a Christian film. The portrayal of two Christian parents was honest and touching. Having faith definitely doesn't mean you won't ever have problems, but it can absolutely help you get through them.

THINGS I DIDN'T LIKE: Some will reject and even be offended by the White Savior element in the story/movie. Some of the sound effects actually hurt my ears. The title of the movie is a giveaway. It's a bit of a slow burn. I like Zazie Beetz, so I was disappointed that she was only in one scene.

FUNNY LINES: None. This is a serious drama.

INTERESTING LINES:

"Everything has a price. What costs you is doubt." - cop "Kindness will affect the world and will help us find that common bond we are very much searching for." - Christian Baker (Johnny Whitworth) "God is good all the time." - Michael Watson (Maurice McRae) "We are not as separated as we think." - Christian Baker

You can see the rest of my review on my Movie Review Mom YouTube channel and website!
9 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It was alright
noemptyhands31 August 2020
I don't know how to take this movie. But this is how black people are treated in this country and it's so sad that the victims are victimized over and over again. I know it's a movie but it's all to real day to day life for many black people living in America. And black police officers and officials that continue to work in these institutions of oppression and inequality should be shamed! Hard movie to watch. I was just not that impressed by the acting or storyline. I felt it was missing something not sure what it was but something was missing.i felt it tried to hard.good attempt though.
10 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lacking in so many ways
justfollowinsuit12 January 2021
This movie is about a missing girl. The movie was poorly written and the acting was sub par with the exception of the players of the missing girls parents.

There was no 'mystery' the audience could begin to develop their own list of suspects from, no clues, just direct point a to point b to point c story.

The actor who played the reporter lacked the ability to speak the English language properly and was obviously NOT a writer, much less a reporter.

It says based on actual events, my guess is the author of the screenplay read 3 articles and based the whole movie on a poorly reported story, never digging deeper than what the paper said.

Finally the end was ridiculous in that this 2020 movie stated that Polly Klass was still missing.

I can't understand why STARZ purchased this terrible movie that had so much unrealized potential.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Heartbreaking - Amazing
dan_solis28 August 2020
The acting and the photography are both marvelous. I was in awe during the whole movie. It is heartbreaking (and very reveling) to live a story like this through the perspective of real people, specially in a time where this is a reality for so many others in the world.
10 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
2 Bad Actors
pcforhope13 February 2021
The 2 main detectives were horrible actors. I couldn't take them and it was hard to overlook. i would rate this an 8 but they brought it down. It was a good movie though, main characters were great, (Father and Reporter) If you can get past the over acting and try hard detectives (especially Johnny Holm) you'll love it.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very authebtic
francishamit6 June 2021
Having been a reporter and a detective, I found this film very authentic . Anyone who has lived in a major city in the USA and known people of color will find that part of iut relateable. Tho cops are a bit overblown but all of the evets portrayed ring true.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Movie!! STILL HERE
LaFrances2631 August 2020
I watch STILL HERE this weekend and l have to say it was a great movie! It was one of the best movies l have seen all year! I will definitely recommend this movie to a friend.
6 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolutely Fantastic
antoala1 September 2020
Still Here is a brave movie, raw, realistic, specially In the times we are living, the acting was superb!!
4 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beautiful Acting
patricia-890645 February 2021
This movie is filled with raw emotion and symbolism that will have your eyes watering throughout. The family relationship is very well tight all around. We need more stories around resilience and family like this one. I enjoyed the story and the beautiful acting. A timely film
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Breathtaking, must see it!
dananedelciu29 August 2020
Real, strong and touching story so much so that it made me have a better understanding of the tumultuous world we all live in today. Acting is intense and powerful. I discovered a Johnny Whitworth I never knew existed and got mesmerized by Maurice McRae. This story of human trafficking will change everything you thought you knew about it:

It's a powerful lesson to be learned!
3 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Makes you feel
Gordon-115 September 2020
This is a hard film to watch. It makes you feel, and makes you think whether everyone is caring for one another enough.
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Well Meaning and Informative... But
zorroaca12 April 2021
Some good acting counterbalanced by a lot of bad. Because of the subject matter you forgive a lot of it. Overall it was a bit disjointed and sometimes off the wall. The ending which might have saved the film... instead was like letting the air out of a tire.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.