Waiting for You (2017) Poster

Beautiful, compelling,stylish
jonathanwhitelocke18 July 2018
What a joy to come across such a beautiful, compelling and entertaining film, when I wasn't gripped by tension I was bowled over by its rich visual language and charmed by the story unveiled in it's narrative. A simple tale, with intriguing and gripping twists, shot with stunning style. Loved it!
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Waiting for You - pulls you in and does not want to let go
jessicawijnman28 August 2018
Waiting for You had me transported inside a bubble where there was nothing but the film and me. The cinematography is stunning, especially when in France, but also the scenes in dreary England are lifted by the special points of view, close-ups and setting in the story. When used the music is wonderful and each time maximises the impact of the scenes. The story seems uncomplicated, but has great depths and addresses serious issues in a thoughtful way. The spare use of flashbacks adds to the realisation that there is more going on than first impressions might suggest. The performances of Fanny Ardant and Colin Morgan are subtle and superb, greatly enhancing the intentions of the writers and producers Charles Gerrad and Hugh Stoddart. This film is clearly a labour of love from everyone involved and deserves a lot more exposure to the main public than it has received so far. If you can, you must go and see !
Peeling Back the Layers
kevinmaynard-2603423 August 2018
A long time in the making, this tautly plotted and extremely economical film gradually peels back the layers of a recently dead parent's past. Superbly intense acting from Paul Ashton, the troubled son (Colin Morgan) on the one hand, and Madeleine Brown, a mysterious older woman (the fabulous Fanny Ardant) who is living a Miss Havisham-like existence in a crumbling 18th century mansion in rural France, find themselves caught in a duplicitous game of cat and mouse. He wants to know 'the truth'; she wants to protect her own knowledge of what 'really happened'. Nothing is what it at first seems, of course, or not as we expect. It may or may not be a sort of ghost story. How much are we entitled to know about someone else's past? How far should we go in pursuit of such knowledge? How much are we allowed to keep secret about our own---perhaps to shield the person who thinks they deserve this information, or perhaps to protect ourselves? There are a number of minor but important characters, none of whom is irrelevant to the action of the film. That fine director and actor, Abdelkrim Bahloul, has a key role as Ahmed, the handyman and gardener who grows his own vegetables on part of Madeleine Brown's overgrown estate. Sylvie, the waitress temping in the village's only bar (Audrey Bastien), who feels attracted to Paul, but is also frustrated by his secretiveness and obsessiveness, is sensitively portrayed. Complex themes (colonialism, military atrocities, trauma, bereavement, guilt, the complexities of family relationships) are handled with great subtlety. The camerawork is never less than precise and often very beautiful: the writing and direction are both deft and confident. Even if the multiplexes won't go for this (no huge explosions, breathless car-chases or blockbuster CGI, though there's plenty of genuine suspense), it deserves the widest possible showing in art-house cinemas.
Waiting for You - beautiful, wise and haunting
gabriellehelix5 August 2018
I loved this film - its fascinating, assured and rich and its satisfactions stay with me long after I have seen it. Its hauntingly beautiful but at the same time, very well paced, there is nothing ponderous or indulgent, a rare achievement to be both lean and evocative. So its a compelling voyage of discovery for the transitions of youth and of middle age too - it's rewarding to have the lifecycle considered so holistically. Part of its brilliance seemed the way in which the initially mysterious, opaque and secret again and again turn out to be deeply familiar and known - the banal cruelty of war and colonialism, the insistence of memory, the complexity of love and loss and the slow work of mourning. It looks beautiful and I loved the opening scenes in the UK too, the great variety of music and the getting to know the location (the house and village) over time. It's precious to see a film which feels so perfectly judged and hewn, full of life and wisdom.
Captivating
studio-491212 August 2018
This captivating film transported me to a sumptuous landscape peopled by rounded thoughtful characters. It is a compelling tale well told and very beautifully photographed. Fanny Ardent and Colin Morgan act so well together. The crumbling french mansion creates the most beautiful and poignant of backdrops. This film is great therapy.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Catch Waiting for You while you can.
victoriahardie8 July 2018
Terrific story, and terrific performances drive the suspense. A suspicious young man, Colin Morgan, feels he has to unravel his secretive father's Army past, who had fought in Aden. Aided by his girlfriend, he cannot move on with his life without further understanding of the man. How will what is revealed affect his relationship with his father? What can he do with his life when he learns the truth?. The lush landscape, the 19c shabby country house are performers too. It is as if the son peels back crumbling walls to dig out the truth. Fanny Ardent is superb as the ageing French mistress of the house. Sometimes sinister in her isolation, she gradually reveals her 'sin'. An unusual and beautiful film.
Gripping!
ben-611-2837226 July 2018
Beautifully shot with amazing locations and some excellent performances.
Beautiful visuals
lin-839534 July 2018
"A wonderfully thought provoking film. such mystery forever enfolding. The beautiful visuals I just want to see over and over. Such impressive set design...such an achievement... Colin Morgan and Fanny Ardant have such chemistry. Do make another film soon".
Visually stunning
An extraordinary movie - it manages to be thrilling and thoughtful at the same time. Great acting and beautifully directed: it left me wanting to see it again, and again.
Slow burn
lrideal3 July 2018
This is a great film - subtle and slow, tense and interesting. It offers a new take on the French country house, and seems to have in the background shades of Le Grand Meaulnes....it's not a love story yet it is (x 2) - and it also speaks of family and passion, secrets and lies. It celebrates all those aspects of French small town delights at the same time as being critical and then disarmingly frank about the nature of war crimes. To describe this film as charming does not do it justice as it is also a kind of thriller. There is great attention to detail and the narrative propels us firmly along, without revealing too much too soon. Additionally, the use of colloquial French by Silvie (the younger woman) is genuine and adds a credibility often lost in similar but badly translated equivalent French/British films. There is much to recommend about this personal long term project with its surprising denouement.
eitanarvats3 July 2018
This is a lovely story, beautiful photography, and a well made film; I did like the 'flash back' images... a lot, they added a psychological tension.
A little gem
virginiebb3 July 2018
'Waiting For You' is a beautiful and moving film. The characters draw you in from the start; the tragic story portrays so well the hidden emotions we all carry inside before ultimately bringing the smile of hope; and the timeless photography makes you fall in love with the house. This movie is refreshing by its simplicity yet depth. And the charismatic French actress Fanny Ardant and the young English actor Colin Morgan gave excellent performances, too.