Waiting for You (2017) Poster

Waiting for You - pulls you in and does not want to let go
jessicawijnman28 August 2018
Waiting for You had me transported inside a bubble where there was nothing but the film and me. The cinematography is stunning, especially when in France, but also the scenes in dreary England are lifted by the special points of view, close-ups and setting in the story. When used the music is wonderful and each time maximises the impact of the scenes. The story seems uncomplicated, but has great depths and addresses serious issues in a thoughtful way. The spare use of flashbacks adds to the realisation that there is more going on than first impressions might suggest. The performances of Fanny Ardant and Colin Morgan are subtle and superb, greatly enhancing the intentions of the writers and producers Charles Gerrad and Hugh Stoddart. This film is clearly a labour of love from everyone involved and deserves a lot more exposure to the main public than it has received so far. If you can, you must go and see !
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The perfect film?
kirstymcintosh-757391 October 2018
I think so. Take a satisfying blend of visual beauty and thoughtful dialogue, add a taught story line and superb acting and the result, for me, is the perfect film. Before leaving the cinema I knew that I wanted to see the film again.
Beautiful, compelling,stylish
jonathanwhitelocke18 July 2018
What a joy to come across such a beautiful, compelling and entertaining film, when I wasn't gripped by tension I was bowled over by its rich visual language and charmed by the story unveiled in it's narrative. A simple tale, with intriguing and gripping twists, shot with stunning style. Loved it!
Slow burn
lrideal3 July 2018
This is a great film - subtle and slow, tense and interesting. It offers a new take on the French country house, and seems to have in the background shades of Le Grand Meaulnes....it's not a love story yet it is (x 2) - and it also speaks of family and passion, secrets and lies. It celebrates all those aspects of French small town delights at the same time as being critical and then disarmingly frank about the nature of war crimes. To describe this film as charming does not do it justice as it is also a kind of thriller. There is great attention to detail and the narrative propels us firmly along, without revealing too much too soon. Additionally, the use of colloquial French by Silvie (the younger woman) is genuine and adds a credibility often lost in similar but badly translated equivalent French/British films. There is much to recommend about this personal long term project with its surprising denouement.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Undemanding but attractive slow-paced mystery
shakercoola14 November 2018
A gently intriguing drama unfolds about a young Englishman who travels to South-West France to find out about his father's military past and unclaimed treasure at a mysterious ageing musician's hillside retreat. It's a passable film with a very attractive setting. The best thing about it though is the handsome Colin Morgan and his performance of glowering intensity.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not really worth the wait
bryangary6513 November 2018
Slightly disappointed with the film given its high review average score.

Took a long time to get to the climax which was slightly underwhelming.

Movie did have an atmosphere feel to it though, and Morgan is always watchable and the lead French Actress was very classy
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Poignant poetic
robinwghayter29 September 2018
Filmmaking written shot and played just right. I was drawn in and momentum only stopped when and where it should, that is to take in, to sense the moment. Several of which will stay with me for some time.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A little gem
virginiebb3 July 2018
'Waiting For You' is a beautiful and moving film. The characters draw you in from the start; the tragic story portrays so well the hidden emotions we all carry inside before ultimately bringing the smile of hope; and the timeless photography makes you fall in love with the house. This movie is refreshing by its simplicity yet depth. And the charismatic French actress Fanny Ardant and the young English actor Colin Morgan gave excellent performances, too.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A must watch film
bronwencruickshank8 November 2018
Very enjoyable and thought-provoking film. Very well acted. I would highly recommend it.
Still thinking
winwld8 November 2018
The headline is a compliment. For me the film was about a range of issues faced by people all over the world: the secrets we choose or feel we have to keep: the impact of our past, especially the brutality of war, on our lives and the lives of everyone we are close to: the chosen landscapes that suggest options and choices; resolution and moving forward with renewed energy and wisdom as we learn and free ourselves. The discussion with the script writer was helpful in coming to a deeper understanding of the process. I do not know how to award stars other than to say it is a film worth seeing. MB
Good to be challenged!
llucy-102008 November 2018
This film requires full attention and does not disappoint. I was intrigued from the start and constantly trying to work out what was happening (in a good way). Points made were very subtle, characters convincing and the 'look' of the film was gorgeous. The pace is quite slow and I liked this. Full marks for a very intelligent well made piece of art.
Family Secrets, France and Electric performances
mariamccolgan5 November 2018
A beautiful film with captivating performances. Colin Morgan and Fanny Ardent are standout. Atmospheric and mysterious storytelling. Highly recommend.
Outstanding film
biljanatesic-1284427 October 2018
Superb script, excellent cast... all in all outstanding film on every level and at every stage. Intelligent, captivating, thought provoking - superbly shot and edited... can't wait for Charles' next film. Enjoyed it immensely THANK YOU!
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Most definitely worth the wait!
geraldinealexander-217828 October 2018
An inspired title, for an inspired film, that didn't disappoint. A dying man divulges just enough information to spark the imagination, and desire for justice in his disillusioned son (and through him the audience), and before you know it, we're all transported to the edge of our seat. Which is where we stay, pretty well, till the end of the film when unlooked for truths emerge, and buried treasure is indeed unearthed. Drama, adventure and romance are delivered at a judicious pace allowing the tension to mount to an almost unbearable crescendo, and then restores itself nicely! My congratulations to the writers, the cast, and to the rest of the crew, it's left me wanting to watch it again if only to soak up more of that gorgeous Gallic scenery.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Tense and beautiful, enjoyable on many levels
oastleach8 October 2018
Beautifully filmed, with an idyllic atmosphere overlaid with tension and mystery-could this turn into a bloody horror story?The narrative is slowly developed, with flashes of clarity to guide the way. Use of close-ups,lighting, silences, flash-backs, all render the necessary suspense.Characters and acting of a very high standard. Rural France lovingly depicted.And then, the love story and the denouement make for a really satisfying end, and the nerves can finally settle.......
Beautiful film
katharinewestonsmith7 October 2018
What a feast for the eye and ears-but so much more as well. This film is a very clever combination of stunning photography and compelling storytelling, acting and editing-I was drawn in right at the beginning and sitting on the edge of my seat throughout. It is rare that I want to see a film more than once, but I would really love to see this film all over again
Evocative, enchanting, mesmerising
sgrala-294575 October 2018
Beautifully shot, sensitively written, this story has a cleverly orchestrated steady, engaging pace, with scenes, characters and devices that play skillfully with the viewer's emotions; taking you on a journey that surprises you, keeps you wondering, brings a tear to the eye, yet keeps you on the edge of your seat to the very end. Enchanting, with wonderful performances by the actors, this is a film I'd love to see again and highly recommend!
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beautifully written, seductive little gem of a film
roadfactoryfilms3 October 2018
Lovely to come across this beautiful film which should definately get a cinema release. Right from the opening few moments you know that you are in good hands; the acting, the script and the beautiful cinematography draw you in and hold you close for an all two brief 90 mins. The setting (in a small town in France) is beautifully captured and very evocative and the house becomes a central character in the story. The story has palpable tension and really grips your emotions. Go see!
Charming, understated classy film
christinajodell1 October 2018
Thoroughly enjoyed this British film. Beautifully shot with sensitive performances from the whole cast. Tackled some difficult subjects without being horrific. Left me thinking . . .
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brilliantly written, subtle cinematography, beautiful performances
maggie-092971 October 2018
I was intrigued by the title and soon realised it was linked to a piece of music, which became a strong thread linking the past to the present. As a result, the flashbacks were judicially used with music as a memory driving the film forward. The film is engrossing and there are no slow spots. We follow the main character Paul (Colin Morgan) on a helter-skelter drive through Eurotunnel, away from a wintery England and into the majestic green hills and mountains of France to unravel the secret of his recently deceased father's early life. Paul's first meeting with the scarily gothic character Madame Brown (Fanny Ardant) sets the tone for a mysterious journey of discovery which set my pulse racing - at one point I couldn't look at the screen -down to excellent writing, terse editing and clever cinematography. Everyone in the cinema was holding their breath. Clean, lean and clever with great, visual performances - including Clare Holman - as Paul's mother - in the early scenes clearly delineating the background and I enjoyed the inclusion of the local girl Sylvie to act as a morale booster and a moral centre for the film. Congrats to all involved.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is a delightful, beautiful film
bruce-377851 October 2018
I was immediately enveloped in the warmth of France and intrigued by an ingenious plot involving history, tragedy, mystery and romance. Highly recommended.
Peeling Back the Layers
kevinmaynard-2603423 August 2018
A long time in the making, this tautly plotted and extremely economical film gradually peels back the layers of a recently dead parent's past. Superbly intense acting from Paul Ashton, the troubled son (Colin Morgan) on the one hand, and Madeleine Brown, a mysterious older woman (the fabulous Fanny Ardant) who is living a Miss Havisham-like existence in a crumbling 18th century mansion in rural France, find themselves caught in a duplicitous game of cat and mouse. He wants to know 'the truth'; she wants to protect her own knowledge of what 'really happened'. Nothing is what it at first seems, of course, or not as we expect. It may or may not be a sort of ghost story. How much are we entitled to know about someone else's past? How far should we go in pursuit of such knowledge? How much are we allowed to keep secret about our own---perhaps to shield the person who thinks they deserve this information, or perhaps to protect ourselves? There are a number of minor but important characters, none of whom is irrelevant to the action of the film. That fine director and actor, Abdelkrim Bahloul, has a key role as Ahmed, the handyman and gardener who grows his own vegetables on part of Madeleine Brown's overgrown estate. Sylvie, the waitress temping in the village's only bar (Audrey Bastien), who feels attracted to Paul, but is also frustrated by his secretiveness and obsessiveness, is sensitively portrayed. Complex themes (colonialism, military atrocities, trauma, bereavement, guilt, the complexities of family relationships) are handled with great subtlety. The camerawork is never less than precise and often very beautiful: the writing and direction are both deft and confident. Even if the multiplexes won't go for this (no huge explosions, breathless car-chases or blockbuster CGI, though there's plenty of genuine suspense), it deserves the widest possible showing in art-house cinemas.
Waiting for You - beautiful, wise and haunting
gabriellehelix5 August 2018
I loved this film - its fascinating, assured and rich and its satisfactions stay with me long after I have seen it. Its hauntingly beautiful but at the same time, very well paced, there is nothing ponderous or indulgent, a rare achievement to be both lean and evocative. So its a compelling voyage of discovery for the transitions of youth and of middle age too - it's rewarding to have the lifecycle considered so holistically. Part of its brilliance seemed the way in which the initially mysterious, opaque and secret again and again turn out to be deeply familiar and known - the banal cruelty of war and colonialism, the insistence of memory, the complexity of love and loss and the slow work of mourning. It looks beautiful and I loved the opening scenes in the UK too, the great variety of music and the getting to know the location (the house and village) over time. It's precious to see a film which feels so perfectly judged and hewn, full of life and wisdom.
Captivating
studio-491212 August 2018
This captivating film transported me to a sumptuous landscape peopled by rounded thoughtful characters. It is a compelling tale well told and very beautifully photographed. Fanny Ardent and Colin Morgan act so well together. The crumbling french mansion creates the most beautiful and poignant of backdrops. This film is great therapy.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Catch Waiting for You while you can.
victoriahardie8 July 2018
Terrific story, and terrific performances drive the suspense. A suspicious young man, Colin Morgan, feels he has to unravel his secretive father's Army past, who had fought in Aden. Aided by his girlfriend, he cannot move on with his life without further understanding of the man. How will what is revealed affect his relationship with his father? What can he do with his life when he learns the truth?. The lush landscape, the 19c shabby country house are performers too. It is as if the son peels back crumbling walls to dig out the truth. Fanny Ardent is superb as the ageing French mistress of the house. Sometimes sinister in her isolation, she gradually reveals her 'sin'. An unusual and beautiful film.