Bumblebee (2018) Poster

(I) (2018)

1,367 Reviews
Heartwarming prequel, but the writing was too amateurish and childish
TopDawgCritic19 January 2019
Heartwarming story, but seems tailored to be more enjoyable to the 8-12 year old's as an upgrade from the 80's animated series. It's not your expected typical adult action filled Transformers installment. You can tell this was written by an inexperienced amateur writer, Christina Hodson. The directing was fairly decent, considering this was Animator Travis Knight's first live action film he's directed. Not sure why the producers (especially Michael Bay and Steven Spielberg) decided to cheap out on these key elements, and then have to pay for pretty much every fake 10/10 review this film has on here. The film's soundtrack was a good throwback to some good 80's songs. Hailee Steinfeld was perfect as always, but pairing her up with Jorge Lendeborg Jr. and his banana seat bike, made them both look like they were 12 years old. Although still enjoyable, I expected more. Would I recommend it? Yes for kids, not really for adults. Would I see it again? Nope, but I'm sure my 8 year old nephew will. It's a 7/10 from me.
186 out of 315 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Are you kidding me? Who is rating this movie!?!
pcapistrano1 January 2019
I'm sorry but clearly these have to be biased reviews because that movie got all the hype and it felt like I was watching a straight to dvd movie. Bad acting, except Steinfeld, maybe 15 min of total action, lame and corny jokes. Maybe with the exception of maybe 20 min, the story line was so out of sync and no flow. I was excited to watch this and it left me in utter dissapointment. A movie probably great for preteens, but it was the corniest and worst "blockbuster" I have watched in 2018 that was hyped. Terrible. Best part of the movie was the first 10 min.
604 out of 1,082 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Transformers Movie With Heart!
namashi_16 January 2019
The Transformers Movies, lets be honest aren't movies that offer soul. Despite making over billions with the Michael Bay films, Transformers are often noted to be mindless, soulless blockbusters. But with a new Director calling the shots and the focus being on just one of the Transforming Heroes, 'Bumblebee' is a pleasant surprise, that is indeed a Transformers Movie with Heart!

'Bumblebee' Synopsis: On the run in the year of 1987, Bumblebee finds refuge in a junkyard in a small Californian beach town. Charlie (Hailee Steinfeld), on the cusp of turning 18 and trying to find her place in the world, discovers Bumblebee, battle-scarred and broken.

'Bumblebee' works because the film focuses more on emotion than on action. Sure, there is action here and there as it has to be, it's a Transformers movie after all, but what is served here, intelligently, is a story offering soul. The relationship of Bumblebee and Charlie, is the film's heart. I liked the way their relationship is built up and how the emotional connect works. It comes across as genuine, rather than manipulative. And that's where 'Bumblebee' scores, it's more about love and bond, rather than just mindless action.

Of course, there are flaws. The biggest one being that this is a familiar story and the beats are predictable. And the entire E.T. vibe is hard ignore. But again these are manageable flaws, in an otherwise charming film.

Christina Hodson's Screenplay is well-done. And it seems the Writer has been influenced hugely by the prolific John Hughes, since her story has flashes of the late/great genius's craft. Travis Knight's Direction is perfect. Cinematography, Editing, Art and Costume Design, are quite good. Graphics, as expected, are excellent.

Performance-Wise: Hailee Steinfeld shines as Charlie. She plays the protagonist and her performance is completely likable. John Cena, in a role with grey shades, clearly has a ball. Jorge Lendeborg Jr. is cute. Pamela Adlon is superb as Charlie's mother. Of the vocal performances, Dylan O'Brien as the voice of B-127 / Bumblebee, Peter Cullen as the voice of Optimus Prime, Angela Bassett as the voice of Shatter and Justin Theroux as the voice of Dropkick, are pretty solid.

On the whole, 'Bumblebee' is a charming film that brings back the Transformers franchise into the game.
195 out of 337 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Smells Like 1980's Spirit
OMTR26 July 2019
Bumblebee is the 'unofficial' sixth installment in the Transformers' franchise and it is actually a spin-off. I bought the DVD before coming back home last week, with the idea that it would be a good family movie, and I was far from being wrong. This is not only a great film to watch with the kids, but also the best episode in the saga. 'Bumblebee' takes us back to the year 1987, and it looks and smells like if it was made in the 1980s with a great cast and an awesome soundtrack. I am listening to it while I am writing this review and I am already looking forward to watching 'Bumblebee 2' in theaters in 2022.
69 out of 112 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What is this?
taukais24 December 2018
I can't believe there are so many good reviews. Plot: it is very predictable and doesn't bring anything new. You may notice some plot holes. Also it messes with timeline of previous films. Characters: nothing interesting about them, they are just flat: good guys, bad guys. Bumblebee acts as infant child 80% of the movie. He is also always protected by a plot armor, no matter how much damage does he take, he is still alive. Movie is oversaturated with oneliners. There were only couple decent jokes, all others fell flat all the time. Action scenes are just mediocre. Previous transformers had better ones. In conclusion, Bumblebee is neither personal film nor an action movie to watch in a company.
383 out of 688 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very Disappointing
elieatallah30 December 2018
I was a Transformers and Beast Wars fan from the 90's, I enjoyed the first two movies from Michael Bay, then the rest was horrible.

The first 5 minutes of Bumblebee were good, then its goes to sh**. 90% of the movie focuses on the teenager's life and lame complications and fears. We barely see some action from Bumblebee, he is mostly being all cuddly and acting like a puppy. Instead of focusing on the origins of the Transformers and Orion Pax, we are hear watching the girl being bullied for not taking the dive... then conveniently having to take the dive in the end of the movie to... I don't know how she helps bumblebee underwater.

That scene on the road where she aske her friend to take off his shirt to just wrap it around her head and scream out of the car...when she is clearly wearing a shirt over a t-shirt... stupid..

That Salute sign from Cena at the end..

I felt like i was watching a combination of Mighty Joe Young and Herbie Reloaded. Horrible..
435 out of 785 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Cute Robot E.T./Herbie Story
daniel-8519727 December 2018
An entertaining film for fans and youngsters. When it comes to the editing and the story telling I feel it is lacking. There are many scenes where the viewer is left confused wondering or hanging. Some scenes are simply repetitive and I feel not cut smoothly to be cohesive. Bumblebee dies/gets killed and gets resurrected approx 10 times which gets old after a while. John Cena should just stop playing any serious roles. He is funny until he tries to be serious or bring emotions on the screen. Just does not suit him. Hailee delivers a solid performance and definitley is the perfect fit for the role. The Soundtrack is just awesome with the best of the 80ies. Not a "gotta watch it again" movie. The emotional component of the "missing father figure" and the "moving on" aspect is done nicely and gives the film some depth.
150 out of 260 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Finally the Transformers movie we deserve.
kevinxirau30 December 2018
In 2007, Michael Bay showed the world that today's technology could bring the famed Transformers to life on the big screen. Sadly, he has the finesse of a brick to the face as his subsequent films for the most part are rusted pieces of scrap due to his crude style of filmmaking, lack of focus, and narrow demographic, leaving fans with only the 80s animated movie as the true "good one", that is until now.

Plot: Charlie Watson (Hailee Steinfeld), a teen girl struggling to move on after her father's untimely death, encounters the fugitive Autobot Bumblebee and the two form a heartfelt bond, which will be tested as they are hunted by both the secretive Sector 7 and a couple of Decepticons.

Knight knows what makes a film truly stick with people and that is in the story and how one tells it, something he excels at. He gives his films heart, thus the relationship between Charlie and Bumblebee feels natural. The central focus is this friendship with many scenes that are charming, funny, and hit hard in the feels. Unlike the stuttering and super uptight Sam Witwicky, Charlie has a lot of spunk and pathos. While having a predictable character arc, John Cena did a nice job with his role. I love that this film is not only set in the 80s (when the show came out), but lives and breathes pop cultural references and classic songs from that era (including a great callback to Stan Bush). While Bay's action focuses on huge zany explosion-fests that push believability and heavily involve the human military, here the action is smaller and much more personal, strictly Autobot vs Decepticon as it should be since it was what the franchise was built on. In fact, the portrayal of the Decepticons has improved; not only can I tell them apart this time thanks to their varied designs and color schemes, but they're given more personality and actually live up to their name.

The only thing that has me puzzled is the continuity as there's confusion over whether or not this is a reboot or a prequel given some conflicting elements. That being said, this is, in many ways, the Transformers movie I've been itching to see for a long time. I'd like to see more directors present their takes on the franchise and go to places both familiar and new as long as Bay stays out of the directing chair. To sum it up, Bumblebee's got the Touch.
83 out of 139 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Finally
diazmanuel83620 December 2018
Finally they made an actually great transformers film,Michael bay didnt get the transformers franchise at all in fact he kept ruining it every time he did another movie,after the third one i lost all hope for a good transformers film and i stop watching them(i didn't even care about trailers or anything related)but when i heard bay was out and Travis Knight was in i started to get hope so i gave this a chance to see if they could improve without bay and not only i wasn't disappointed but i got in love with this franchise again,they understand the concept of a good transformers movie(no over the top action,no oversexualized teen girls,no explosions all over the place)just a good film with a simple plot and heart.10/10
555 out of 1,027 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great family film
bradcol9 January 2019
Must watch family film with a good sense of humour and just the right amount of action
45 out of 72 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Such a waste of time
noelleinc28 December 2018
This movie was terrible. The pacing was slow, there was no story to fill in the time, just a bunch of driving around. The family scenes were forced and I felt no connection at all to any of the characters. The love interest was incredibly lame. John Cena's character was one of a typical dumb soldier, I much prefer all of the military characters from the first movie to him. At least they were funny. Not senseless shells of dumb.

Bumblebee was cute, like a kitten, not the badass Transformer he's been in the past movies. The action scenes were typical and boring. Honestly the best part of the movie was the first 10 minutes. After that it was not fun, funny or even interesting. I almost left the theater and I am a huge Transformers fan. On top of that this film makes no sense in the world of the previous Transformer movies. Optimus Prime and the others didn't come to Earth until the first Michael Bay movie and in that movie they had no form yet. There are so many plot holes which makes the story even less interesting. This is almost a direct copy of Sam's story. Losers life that sucks then he/she gets a cool car and their life changes forever. Blah blah snore.

I don't understand why everyone is saying this is the best Transformer movie ever. The first one was the best by far. People are looking for a Transformers movie that properly pays homage to the 80's Transformers we love, this movie is definitely not it. Don't waste your time or money.
292 out of 534 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Take that, Michael Bay!
sorenmike13 December 2018
This was the movie we all so desperately needed from the franchise. Great action, great characters, great story. I'm glad they took a totally different road than the garbage Bay was filling his movies with that got old too fast. Go see it! It was really good
501 out of 951 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The best Transformers movie ever.
nikbak13 December 2018
Getting rid of Michael Bay was hell of a great move that benefits everyone and literally saved this franchise. The relationship between Charlie and Bumblebee is really a charm to watch. I used to be a Transformers hater but this movie got be back on track again, I simply loved it!
371 out of 701 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cliche, poor scripted, horrible dialogue and acting
christopherabird29 December 2018
I was so excited to see this film - especially based on the reviews. I think I must have seen an entirely different movie than the others. The lines delivered were forced. The plot was incredibly predictable - really lazy writing with weak story line. The acting was terrible - even John Cena's acting was terrible. The music was childish and forced as well. The visual effects were strong as you might expect. I think that the writers wanted the audience to care for bumblebee at the beginning of the movie but didn't establish the relationship well. Character development was weak.
289 out of 545 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Who are you people rating this?
dennislarmour19 January 2019
Is there parents ghost writing for their 8 year olds??? Lmfao. This movie is in no way shape or form a "blockbuster" or "the best transformers movie" Good Lord did I see the wrong movie???
281 out of 532 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hopefully they will reboot the franchise with this movie as the first one and forget about previous disasters
Franciscorosell21 December 2018
First Transformers movie that is actually good.

Almost 10 years ago, I wrote an unfavourable review after the first movie by Michael Bay. I had been a real fanatic of the Transformers in my childhood and I did not feel the movie treated the story nor the characters (nor the fans!) with respect. The sequels were worse every time, and they even blamed poor stories due to the Hollywood writers association going on strike (I'm not kidding, they really blamed it on that). This movie (Thank God at last !!!!!) undoes the harm done by the previous movies. It brought me back some good memories from my childhood fantasies. For once, the robots actually look like the cartoons. This is a big thing. The robots from the previous movies were horrible, and did not look whatsoever to the original toys.

Producers for the next movies, please remember: The Transformers is a robot's story where human beings play a very secondary role in the same. It is not a story about humans in which robots are involved. Please don't ever cast goofy characters such as Agent Simmons (played by otherwise good actor John Turturro). It really kills the story. PLEASE READ THE COMICS AND WATCH THE ORIGINAL TRANSFORMERS CARTOONS before considering making more movies of these. If you don't get it, let other people produce them. Sure there are lots of them around.

This movie is good. Believe me and actually go and watch it. It will be the profits which will secure or not the guys involved in this project to remain for the next one.
331 out of 631 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best Acting Performance By Hailee Steinfeld As A Charlie And John Cena As Well
ymyuseda19 December 2018
Rating 9.6/10 Best movie in The Transformers Franchise !! Best acting performance by Hailee Steinfeld a.k.a Charlie and John Cena as well. This is the film we've been waiting for !! For director Travis Knight, you has created a good film this year !!
288 out of 546 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Transformera movie. And I'm 44 years old and
iurilud16 January 2021
My family and loved it. This one and the first Bay's movie are good. You can forget all the others.
11 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nope
jmzmflowers26 December 2018
I am disappointed. Why are there so many good reviews? Dialogue was poor and plot wasn't developed. No jokes. No memorable score.
278 out of 537 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Are you serious?
Sebtorres0316 December 2018
I'm seeing a ton of overhyped comments about how this movie is some kind of a Christmas gift to humanity and movie-lovers and I'm starting to think I'm in the Truman Show or something.

I watched the film "Green Book" just before watching Bumblebee (Like a couple of hours) and to be able to compare quality like that really puts perspective on how bad Bumblebee really is. (The Green Book is amazing). The script is terrible filled with obvious and cheesy lines and a comic relief that is anything but comic. The plot is extremely predictable and the writers and director didn't achieve to add any credible depth to the characters. Hailee Steinfeld does her best but everything else is poor.

The action scenes are below par for what one can expect of a huge blockbuster these days and the plot is filled with super improbable scenarios, even for an action movie.

I think I counted more than 20 people leaving the cinema during the movie, many of them after only 30 minutes. I have never left a movie mid-way before but this time it was really tempting, although I didn't, hoping for it to somehow win me back. It didn't.

Positives: Some 80's vibe and good music.

Negatives: Unnecessary side-plots, John Cena, Ridiculous attempts at jokes, everything else.
337 out of 663 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Heartwarming
shaffer_jamie28 December 2018
A great marriage and comedy. A heartwarming tale about the heart of the Transformers. Any child of the 80s will love the references.
54 out of 95 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best Transformers Movie Yet!!
pgancarc13 December 2018
This by far is the best Transformers movie yet. It has great characters, a decent storyline, and the fight scenes between the Autobots and the Decelticons are fantastic. Even John Cena isn't bad in this movie. I highly recommend this to any who is a fan of the Transformers and also to someone who enjoyed those amazing 80s films that Steven Spielberg directed
251 out of 491 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another cliche coming of age story, this time with robots.
reeltimeflicks-8172920 January 2019
This movie is a parody of the Michael Bay films of the past. There is little to no action, the acting is terrible, and the only way the plot makes sense is if you are 10 years old watching kiddie cartoons. There is just no real world stakes here, the plot doesn't try to bring the audience with it to understand the importance of bumblebee and main villains are ants compared to the legends we know from the earlier films like Star Scream or Sentinel Prime. Instead of a movie that focuses on developing Bee's character from the earlier films, we get a movie about a teenager getting bullied and discovering her first romance in a story that everyone's seen a million times before. Meanwhile Bee acts like a skittish stray puppy for majority of the film, a far-cry from the cool robot we all know and love.

I was bored out of my mind watching this film.
132 out of 250 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not mad, just disappointed
ahpalmer30 December 2018
Started well but got bored halfway through. Was glad when it ended. It'll probably be good if you go in expecting it to be just as bad as the last one.
190 out of 371 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
FINALLY!
akerstrom_9429 December 2018
No hate on Bay, he is who he is and had never really denied it. This is the Transformers movie we the fans truly deserve. Full of heart, comedy tons of action and PACKED with the perfect balance of 80's nostalgia songs G1 Easter eggs. If it were up to me I would stop calling this a "prequel" and just enjoy this amazing "reboot" of the franchise
23 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.