The New Mutants (2020) Poster

1,128 Reviews
After Many Tries and Reshoots...It Fails.
Impartial-Critic7 September 2020
Who said this is Horror ???! After the repetitive promises and tries to release this...thing, it fails. A redundant teenage issues story in a sci-fi mold about young mutants discovering their abilities and (AGAIN) trying escape some sort of a facility. This time the difference is...they are only five of them! wow, yep this is mainly the plot.

Clearly we are living the fast money grabbing age and with the epidemic backlash - either socially or financially - big companies don't care for their dedicated fans or even the general audience as they blindly want to make more money.

The new mutants and what painfully follows (origin single hero stories, pointless sequels and human vs animated classic reboots) are no exclusion...With a weak plot of a stereotypical teens with issues concept, a very poor atmosphere throughout the whole movie, some plot holes here and there, painfully incoherent accent and of course a predictable story telling!

For audience like myself who I know they deserve better...Save your money for something worth and free-stream what you like till the big companies stop being greedy.
483 out of 605 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bad Writing
user-46-24701427 January 2021
No amount of acting and effects can make up for terrible writing. Lets just say they set up certain things in the movie and then never use them. You're like, oh the beginning of the movie said this, but don't expect anything to happen because... bad writing.

It really peaks near the beginning, then really drags on. Theres a fight scene near the end that is endless, unbelievable, really repetitive. The climax is anticlimactic so....

There was potential for a good movie, and the actors did fine, but the characters didn't act like real people. It was so obvious what was going on but they dragged on every single story element and repeated it. I feel bad for these actors; Truly a waste of money and talent.

Part of the reason it was so bad is because it has an intellectual level of Spy Kids, super predictable and stereotypical moments but placed and set up so poorly that they have no emotional depth. It checks all the boxes except being interesting and having a good plot... you know... like missing the whole point of movies.
83 out of 102 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This movie desperately needed whatever they edited out.
sara-69126 January 2021
It was an OK movie all in all, but it could've been SO much better. I was personally stoked for a horror mutants movie, but this is as much horror as any other superhero movie (and less than some) so I must say I was very disappointed. The idea of was there and it could've been SO SO good but in the end, it wasn't...

A thing that really distracted me was the actors weird accents. You have a group of really good actors here but the bad accents made them just seem mediocre.
103 out of 129 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointment...
Thanos_Alfie1 February 2021
"The New Mutants" is a Sci-Fi - Action movie in which we watch five young mutants held in a secret facility while they try to first discover and then control their abilities. After some time they will have to fight their hidden fears in order to save themselves.

I have to admit that I had high expectations from this movie but I was disappointed by it. The direction which was made by Josh Boone, it was below average and some times even predictable, something that made the movie boring. The interpretations of the cast followed the pattern of its direction. I have to say that I expected more from Maisie Williams who played as Rahne Sinclair because she did not reach her potential, but I can understand why. Lastly, I have to say that "The New Mutants" is a bad opening movie due to its plot, direction and the interpretations of the cast. If you want to watch this movie, i advise you to lower you standards and your expectations otherwise you will be disappointed.
67 out of 84 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What a load of trash!
okenan-4456924 February 2021
I have never written a movie review before, but after seeing this one I just had to write.

The Good : CGI.

The Bad: Where do I even start ! First of all, every scene is not at all related to its previous scene. Seems like they had hundreds of different short films and they just joined them together. There is no continuation of the plot. Too many things going on without a clue. Who is going where or who is hunting whom you will have no idea. Second, they tried the old "cliche/corny" humor in almost every scene but it just didnt cut. I mean they were so bad and the timings were so off w.r.t. to the scene. Third, the dialogues didnt at all make sense. All of a sudden "you are family". I mean WTF !!! .... I think they had a "Random Word Generator" for the dialogues for any given scene. I could go on and on...
94 out of 122 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Plain Terrible
uvcyq22 February 2021
The movie should have been renamed Terrible - The New Mutants
119 out of 157 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awful
ekaty-0608624 February 2021
Somehow the X-men movies after Days of Future Past keep getting worse. Bravo Josh Boone
59 out of 75 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Trash fire.
kedat-2211425 February 2021
Its not even so bad its good. This movie is so boring and one of the worst toy commercials ever made.
42 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not good
keqwah22 February 2021
Insanely LONG for no reason, Marvel movie trademark: Most of them are bad. Geez what a flop!!!
96 out of 126 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Forced to watch!
gasbuw22 February 2021
My sister made me watch this. She insisted it was a contagion, a disease she was compelled to spread. After seeing it, I truly understand, relate, and recommend.

It's awful! But a transcendent awfulness...you want to pass it around like milk that might be spoiled, but everyone needs to test it anyway.

I've never laughed so much at something that isn't even trying to be remotely comedic; it's a travesty.

I'm not surprised there are drinking games built around it, but you'll be more than amused watching it sober.Yes, it's that bad! But fun - you want to see it over and over again, and force other people to watch it too. Rent it on a particularly bad day: you'll forget everything irritating in your life, and be weirdly involved in a world of badly-clad midgets; suddenly wondering if baloney sandwiches or urine could possibly be the solution... If you vote, give it a one - it truly deserves the recognition of being one of the worst movies ever.
horrible!
gavyz12 February 2021
I couldn't agree more with oqonac. This may be not only the worst sequel ever, but the worst horror movie ever! Nowadays, certain filmmakers think by throwing a name or specific place ( e.c. Magik, X-force), into the movie they're creating an acceptable sequel. This movie took 90 minutes of my life away, and I demand them back! (I know I should have had the smarts to walk out of the theater!)
Wow it is so bad.
ThomDerd20 December 2020
Why 2 stars? Just because I used to like x-men, but after seeing this... I just don't know anymore. Why did they allow this script and in the end this final product to get out of the studio? I actually don't even care. I do care to inform the superhero movie enthusiasts and fans of the x-men saga etc to stay as far as they can from this movie and save themselves from utter disappointment and from wasting time watching this bad movie. 2/10
Unnecessary
qefuy12 February 2021
The New Mutants was the worst and unnecessary part. This movie was not even needed. They could have easily ended the franchise with Logan (or Dark Phoenix if they wanted to complete the actual X-men story). This movie was neither scary nor entertaining. This movie only had bad qualities.

The plot was senseless, direction was bad, the traditional x-men music was missing, the characters were okay. There was lack of screen time for the Mutants in action.

There were too many unanswered questions. It seems even director didn't know in which direction is movie going.

Overall, this was one of the worst movie of X-men franchise and you can watch it if you want a good sleep.
56 out of 71 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worse than I expected
roflmeao8 September 2020
I went in with low expectations and yet still left disappointed. I'd like to say something positive but I really can't think of anything right now. The plot, dialogue, characters, acting, cinematography, lighting, everything was just awful.

I don't usually take note of accents in movies, if the characterisations are fine then I usually just gloss over them. It says a lot that even I noticed how bad and inconsistent these were.

The backstories were glossed over and only partially explored for the most part with glaring holes in most of them.

The "hospital" setting was not set up, explained, or even logically consistent. If you don't know who is behind it with a certain name drop, then you won't get any answers here.

Just bad. Bad and a waste of your time. Watch literally anything else. Go for a walk. Play with your dog. Live life. Don't watch this.
265 out of 364 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An absolute cheese-fest
ycosos24 February 2021
Terrible, just terrible. There's nothing wrong with a a campy over-the-top film of done right, but everything here just missed the mark. Unwatchable.
88 out of 115 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
C (flat 5). October 20' @AMC
Celewa22 February 2021
Feels different than other films in this genre. Never really commits to the horror aspect which is disappointing. Runtime felt short. Some out of place CGI. Distracting accents. Watchable.
64 out of 82 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pathetic
buhuv20 February 2021
I've seen better effects from birdemic than this, this movie doesn't even have average CGI.

Oh if only they tried..
90 out of 118 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awful, but funniest thing ever.
vokope22 February 2021
Imagine....some really bored media students who have rented a motor-home and have loads of popcorn to be used. Then imagine a film where those are the most expensive things in it. This is that film. The New Mutants - yet has no mutants. Just goblins. But hey. The first time I saw this, I wished I had been wearing a nappy or sitting on a very big sponge, it is that funny. Personally, I could not get up from rolling around on the floor, nor the people I was with, although they had it worse, as they kept falling off the bed. Unfortunately, it is funny without meaning to be, simply because it is that bad. It seems to just have people dragged in from the street in the leading roles, which could well be true. Maybe somebody was very drunk when they decided to make this film. Or when they made it. Or when they went ahead with all the stages of production. Just possibly. Anyway, it is hilarious. I got my DVD copy for £2. That says it all really I would say. Watch this film if you want to see: neon-coloured food, children in masks and dressed in sacks charging around a forest set to a dodgy 2020-theme, awful make up, worse acting, even worse dialogue, the funniest yokels ever (including Anya Taylor - 'nuff said) and the mightiest weapon ever seen in any film ever. Go on, watch it. Best laugh of my life, could be yours too.
82 out of 107 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cancel everyone involved in this
zmygb22 February 2021
The 1 star is because there is no 0. It's not the worst Marvel superhero movie...it is the worst movie ever made in the history of cinema.

The small success of Dark Phoenix obviously has gotten into the heads of the director and the star/producer. But this garbage only revealed their lack of talent. Cancel Josh Boone and Anya Taylor-Joy for destroying New Mutant's name and legacy. Reboot and recast the franchise . . . The New Mutants are supposed to be forever young. Anya is aging badly. Get a younger and better actress!
82 out of 107 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
the worst of mutant movies
ahmdemir-8664513 February 2021
It was one of the worst movies I've ever seen, it's ridiculous and so boring

What did the person who wrote the script drink? What kind of project does his head have? Pity
58 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
i cant believe it
ouvfyz12 February 2021
I should have listened to the reviews and not have watched this, PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THIS
68 out of 88 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
67.000.000 $ for this crap?!
dinkopepe26 September 2020
67.000.000 $ for this crap?! For this money we could shoot 100 movies, and at least 5 of them would be great.
286 out of 398 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really bad.
oguxpo12 February 2021
I have no idea what's going on in this film at all. Completely. Only the action scenes were a little bit good.
75 out of 98 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Aberration
aqtev22 February 2021
Misleading plot, horrible screenplay, full of misandry. Josh Boone snafued the franchise.
100 out of 133 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Our favorite Worst film
kpebfy22 February 2021
Don't get me wrong, this is one of the worst films ever created. With a Director I believe that dealt with p0rn and an acting staff we hardly even heard of, I believe that The New Mutants is something that we can remark as simply entertaining. Everything is "corny" about this film and we can't get over the attempt of special effects. But the Mutants look funny beyond belief and that it seems that they have a crazy way of eating without the food ever reaching their tongue which springs stupidity to laugh about. Gotta love the encouragement not to eat healthy too (milk and produce). Well, what else can I say, this movie gets a 10 for worst greatness because I laugh my colon out all the time. In a way, this should of been a p0rn parody of the first film, but that's just my opinion. Until next time, take care of yourself and each other.
82 out of 108 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.