Lavender (2016) Poster

(I) (2016)

Real Fairies are tricksters
nogodnomasters30 July 2017
The film opens with a family being murdered except for young Jane (Peyton Kennedy) in a corner with a pocket knife. The film jumps 25 years later as older Jane (Abbie Cornish) has no memory of the event. She takes photos of farm houses. An accident causes a head injury and apparently she had a previous head injury. Some of her old memories come back while she loses others. Through circumstances Jane and her family end up in her childhood home as creepy things happen. There are butterfly fairies and the monster.

The plot was not that tight. The scares were ineffective. There was nothing special about this me-too, I can't believe they went there, film. Jane was cardboard, a poorly scripted character. The film went out of its way to show us the family was killed on 10-10-1985. Then it shows us their headstone: June, 8 1986. They should have used that as the date instead. But as Ed Wood would say, "Who would notice?" Guide: 1 F-word. No sex or nudity.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Solid overall. Just nothing new here.
Sleepin_Dragon23 September 2018
Trauma certainly has its moments, a bold beginning, a rather dramatic ending, and a solid story development. At times in the middle I did find myself losing a little bit of interest, as it did delve into the realms of boring at times.

I'm surprised that this film has awful and amazing reviews, to me it's very middle of the road, there's nothing particularly shambolic here, it's nicely edited, well acted, but the main flaw it has, is it's overwhelming obviousness, you just know exactly how it's going to pan out, why, and who is at fault, there was no other possible outcome offered up.

It's watchable. 5/10
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Past is ... coming back
kosmasp27 May 2021
When you can't remember what happened in your childhood ... well that may not be a thing you think too much about. But if your parents where killed and there are "ghosts" that haunt you from back then ... well maybe you have to consider a few things. This isn't a bad movie at all, but I wouldn't call it a good one either. It has some interesting moments and ideas for sure.

The actors are good in it and the tension does hold up most of the time and almost until the end. When the reveal comes (that is not really surprising - a twist or two may surprise you, but not the big reveal) ... it seems the movie loses track. It does try to keep its pace up and it makes overall "sense" in the context of the movie and the universe it plays in ... if you are into horror you may want to give it a try.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not the worst, not the best
deloudelouvain27 April 2017
I read on here that some think it is a horrendous movie and others think it's a very good movie. It's none of the above. Saying it's horrendous is ridiculous because it isn't that bad. Saying it's a very good movie is also ridiculous because there are way better movies in the same genre then this one. It's an average movie worth watching once and then forget about it. The cast isn't bad. All actors did their best playing their respective characters. It's just the story that could have been better. It's all a bit guessing what happened but it's just a bit too slow and too long before you get some answers. They try to make it creepy but it isn't really and that's why it's just an average movie for this genre.
38 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Decent Story But Sometimes It Tries Too Hard
sddavis6326 July 2019
The story revolves around Jane (Abbie Cornish) - a young wife and mother of a young daughter who as the result of a car accident loses her memory, and as it slowly returns she finds herself being confronted by scattered memories of childhood trauma. The trauma is no surprise to the viewer. We're introduced (to a degree, but not to all the details) to what happened in the opening scenes of the movie. So that opening does serve as a bit of a hook. The movie sets you up to believe that Jane was responsible for what was shown. Which means that right from the start you know that's too simple an explanation. And having said that it's fair to say that the story is a little bit too simple. What finally comes out at the end of the movie - after an hour and a half of Jane struggling to recover her memories of that night - isn't really a surprise. If it wasn't Jane, there really only seemed to be one direction the story could move - and so it did. It's still a decent story. At times, though, it seems to try too hard to bulid some suspense and throw a bit of "shock" into a movie that really had little of either. But the background music and various scenes struggle to create suspense. At times it's mildly effective, but for the most part - well, not really. There's a bit of a supernatural element to this which has you wondering up to the last scenes. Is this actually a ghost story or is Jane just imagining some of the things that are happening? Is what seems to be supernatural really just the result of the repressed memory of the trauma finally being released? That does seem clarified at the very end.

It certainly isn't a bad movie. It's engaging enough for the most part although it does at times seem to drag just a little bit. The performances in this were so-so. I didn't think anyone in the cast really stood out. But I watched it from beginning to end and wanted to see how it all was going to turn out, and was especially concerned almost from the start with what would happen to Jane's young daughter Alice (one of the earlier roles for young Lola Flanery, who's more familiar from TV series such as Mary Kills People and The 100). (6/10)
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The fastest thing in this movie was the blood flowing...
vincentlynch-moonoi1 January 2018
...and even that was as slow as molasses in January.

I watched this film for one reason. I wanted to see Justin Long in something that wasn't a dopey comedy. I like Long (who I see as a decent actor), although he certainly accepts some awfully dumb films...and though not a dopey comedy, this film was plenty dumb, too.

As a number of our reviewers have pointed out, this movie moves slow...very slow...and to no great effect. And the music...well matched to dull action.

The acting? Well, although Long's acting was satisfactory (I'm not giving him more than that here), the acting of the lead -- Abbie Cornish -- was totally unconvincing, or should I say amateurish. I've generally liked Dermot Mulroney in a number of films, but this was pathetic.

And I'll tell you what ultimately bothered me most of all. In the end, the director resorted to a "The Sixth Sense" flashback type of explanation for Justin Long's psychiatrist character. Shame, shame, shame.

Apparently some people liked this film. There's no accounting for taste. About the only actually good thing I could say about this horror/ghost film (I was going to say suspense film, but if moved so slowly that there was no suspense) was that it wasn't a cheap slasher type film.

Move along. There's nothing to see here.
Not Good....
wandernn1-81-68327423 October 2021
I just didn't think it was good. Was boring. Seemed like I'd seen it all before. Nothing new or original. But other than that....well I can't really think of anything else. 4/10.
A horrendous mess
jtindahouse5 February 2017
There wasn't a whole lot to like about 'Lavender'. The story was bland, the cast was mundane and the endless attempts to create a creepy and tense atmosphere failed miserably. Let's start with the story. In a way there really isn't one because we the audience never actually know what is going on. Things keep happening, but we have no idea why. There's no mystery for us to solve or plot for us to figure out along with the characters, because nothing is ever explained to us. All we know is that a mass murder happened in a house 20 years ago. For a thriller/mystery to work the audience needs to be seeing things with more clarity than the characters. They don't need the answers, just the problem put clearly in front of them. That does not happen here.

Then there's the cast. It would have to be said that Abbie Cornish can not carry a film in the lead role. There are two ways to make it in Hollywood. Either be incredibly beautiful, or be a hell of an actress. Some can manage both, Cornish can manage neither. I'm not sure how Justin Long got roped into being in this either. I thought he was above roles like this, but apparently not. Also Lola Flanery, one of the main child actresses in the film, was distractingly bad. Generally, child actors and actresses these days are of a much higher standard than they used to be. Flanery though needs to keep working on her trade.

Then there's the endless hallucinations the audience has to put up with. Hallucinations are only a minor step up from dream sequences. I understand it was part of the story (in a way), but when your film constantly relies on showing the audience things that are likely going to turn out to be nothing of importance, it's not a good sign. Even if the film does later clarify that they were more important than they were first understood to be, they were still incredibly annoying for the first 80 minutes of run time whilst we still thought they were nothing.

I think 'Lavender' was really banking on its ending to impress audiences and just hoping that they forgot about all the terrible stuff leading up to that point. Sadly, it's far from impressive enough to achieve that. There are much better thrillers out there than this to see. Watch one of them.
61 out of 115 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Held back by unlikeable characters.
parry_na4 March 2020
I wonder just how difficult it is to make a juvenile character interesting without also making her the kind of brat you would like to throttle. I'm speaking hypothetically in case anyone is worried I'm encouraging child abuse. But after spending all morning telling her mother how bored she is in her company, little Alice (Lola Flanery) goes on to tell her, "I expect ice cream," and mum Jane (Abbie Cornish) looks on adoringly. To cheer the child up, Jane will then confide little secrets to the girl about how daddy wets the bed when he's drunk too much. So the pecking order is laid down. The brat makes the rules, and when mum gets frustrated, dad - who is well meaning but a bit thick - gets the brunt of it.

It's such a shame, because these characters provide the heart of what is a fairly interesting psychological horror thriller - but if the audience is not allowed to like these people, they don't care what befalls them. And really, little Alice takes every opportunity to test the patience constantly.

It all comes good in the end though (or does it? That would be telling) and through their frightening situations, the characters become seemingly improved. And this story does have some very good moments. How much more involving it would be, though, if the main players had been more likeable from the beginning? 6 out of 10.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good time pass movie...
kamalbeeee1 October 2019
I will suggest to say that you can for timepass with popcorn and as well as with family...there are no more sex violations and vulgire scenes..
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Well told
baunacholi-8615919 December 2019
Very mixed reviews here but it might depend on what u are looking for. Lavender is in my POV a well & slow told drama/ghost story. If u look for cheap or predictable tricks this might leave u disappointed. However if u are interested in an old fashioned - in the best sense- ghost story u might like it. I found it eerie and embedded in a well told and convincing story. The final reveal was clever and very smart and connected all the Halluzination and things the lead character saw, experienced or thought she would see and experience ;). Maybe here and there it could have been a bit more streamlined but it's not a big deal. Cinematography esp the stills in the opening scene or in the car crash scene are great! plus, a perfectly matching soundtrack ! Go for it.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
In the future movies will be 90 minutes of a blank screen with sad music
xhidden9915 April 2017
Barring that it will be this film. It's that slow. I guess everyone went to the same film school where they teach you the one style for everything. Pioneered by the series 'The Killing' where nothing happens there's no plot nothing ever reveals anything. Even one of the characters in this movie whines 'this is boring'. And boring it is. I think the writer director was aiming for a pilot and couldn't sell it so he made a movie of sorts that captures the utter nothingness. There's no suspense, no tension, no forward arc. And let's face facts; Abbie Cornish is the pot man's Charlise Theron while anything with Justin Long in it is a waste of time. BTW Saab is supposed to be a safe car. They don't rollover 9 times and without the airbags deploying. Just watch you'll see.
9 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"Lavender": Big Spookiness comes in Small Packages
jtncsmistad9 July 2017
What a strange little movie we have in the under-the-radar Canadian supernatural drama "Lavender". It may be a low budget indy, but the story, acting and cinematography are all of high caliber.

Australian beauty Abbie Cornish is Jane, a woman with a horrific past that she can not remember. Cornish resonates as a wife and mother struggling to recall unthinkable events from a tragic childhood. Although she plays a gal from the American Midwest, her indigenous Aussie accent does seep through on occasion. But that doesn't detract from a solid performance as the anchor of a uniformly fine cast which includes veteran pros Dermot Mulroney and Justin Long.

And one other thing. Watching "Lavender" may well result in you never again looking at unexpected presents wrapped in pretty red ribbon as a welcome surprise.
14 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Slowwwwwwww burnerrrrrrrrr
More emotional twist to a typical haunted house movie. Although this isn't going to be an edge of your seat horror flick, you may be able to appreciate it anyway. Worth a watch if you can enjoy a slower paced psychological thriller.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A movie that drags on, and on
jhr201229 May 2017
This was painful. I watched the entire thing, fighting sleep throughout. Only the last 20 minutes was interesting. Up until then it's just a string of boring flashbacks. I found myself just hoping they would hurry up and get to the point. To make matters worse, the ending is quite predictable. This one is a Netflix late night special if you are very bored.
15 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Something sloppy, nothing new
compugor12 July 2019
Painfully slow, unoriginal and maddeningly confusing, this bore fest's worst mistake is having the vapid lead character who is stand offish and in a constant daze, played by the buxomly succulent, magnetically attractive Abbey Cornish. They certainly didn't try hard enough to make her look dumpy. Long takes of her supposed to be scary were more like a model photo shoot. Lifts elements from films including "The Others" with Nicole Kidman, but they go to waste in this mess.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
begins with a mediocer script that could have been great
Cilica7 September 2018
I understand the protagonist long stares and blanking out, but the daughter's performance is flat and monatone. Why? Husband's acting well middleish. Great idea that just didn't come together for me.
Ignore Bad Reviews - This is a Good Story and Entertaining Thriller/Mystery
sanclan7 May 2017
I don't understand the bad reviews. The one that first came up said the movie was slow and boring. It is for only about 10-15 minutes, but then the story picks up and it is a very good story. The eeriness is a key element of this movie and it is a true mystery. We all enjoyed it very much and would highly recommend it if you enjoy psychological thrillers.
24 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Gass-Lighting Abbie
Almost a great movie. Yeah, I know, only in horseshoes, hand grenades and scrabble. Still, what could have been if the writing was shored up. If a less callow writer/director took the reins. Gass-Donnelly's métier seems to be serial underwhelming. He's a bit of a Midas in reverse type. I don't know why the unknown ginger beard was cast in a lead role. You have Dermot Mulroney and Justin Long in the cast, at your disposal, why not roll with one of those decent actors in that role? Ginger doesn't even show a believable emotion until the 3/4 mark of the film. And that little daughter actor, geez Louise, she has the voice of a toy keyboard. Listening to a single line out of her is tantamount to aural flagellation. On to the positives, as there are many. Abbie Cornish is phenomenal in this. Her best performance since Candy. She has natural beauty and acting acumen in wild abundance. She reminds me of a young Gena Rowlands in this...without the benefit of brilliant Cassavetes direction. The photography is beautiful, too, for the most part. Makes sense since Cornish has a penchant for taking photos in this role. Pause certain scenes and you have really nice paintings. I loved the attempt at unconventional storytelling, but the writer gave up on it about 3/4s of the way through and provided an idiot's guide. You can get lost in this story. Feel like you have amnesia. The plot holes are kind of like rabbit holes here. They turn you around. In these fugue states you find yourself truly relating to Abbie's character. Sometimes feeling like you are being Gass-lighted with her. Commiserating with her. All in all it is a somewhat noble stab at studying deep trauma. I won't go too deep because I hate spoilers. A good movie that could've been great in more gifted hands. Wonder and frustration in equal measure.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Poor plot, acting is okay
homeflash25 February 2021
If you are in the plot more than acting. This may not be for you. The acting is okay.

There are some scary moments, but if you are a horror or mystery movie fan, this will not surprise you at all.

Overall, i do not see this movie giving any suspense. the ending is like just trying to end the movie.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boring, confusing and an insult to those who experienced childhood abuse
zhivago9718 October 2021
This movie is a hot mess, beginning with the main characters: mom, dad and daughter have ZERO chemistry together. It's as if they don't know each other and are faking being related. The daughter in particular is not a good child actor and her character is completely unnecessary. The mom is also not great and spends the whole movie confused and crying while her husband responds in ways that are baffling (when your wife is in need of support). Maybe that's why she cried throughout! And together, the mom and dad make the dumbest decisions, they have the worst judgment you can imagine.

The storyline, well, that's also a hot mess. The blend of false memories, real memories and actual ghosts interfering with the the characters makes the whole thing very confusing: what's real and what's not.

Childhood trauma is not to be taken lightly and this movie treats the topic very clumsily.

While there aren't many positive things to say about this movie, it is suspenseful and I watched throughout waiting to see if something worthwhile would ever happen to redeem this flop.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So very bad
gsbuie15 August 2019
OMG I can't believe this movie is finally over! I sum it up in 3 words! Slow, stupid, and not scary.
1 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not bad
lcherresse8 March 2020
This is actually a pretty good movie. It is a slow burn with a good twist at the end. It kept my attention
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
1.5 hour movie with 15 minutes worth of clips
Laiath7 March 2017
Oh. My. God. If I have ever seen a slow-paced movie, they seem like roller-coasters now. This title is only rivaled by that French joke of a horror movie called They Came Back (100 minutes of my life; gone).

Nothing happened for the first half hour besides the introduction of the characters and the main character living her life in between zoning out to annoying violin (or cello?) tunes for looong seconds. Literally two seconds of Dermot Mulroney and no Justin Long. Just as I was about to turn it off, though, my food arrived so I kept watching. Nothing kept happening for another 15 minutes, but right when I was closing the window for sure this time, a single interesting thing happened that involved Justin Long's character (and I love Justin Long) so I gave it yet another chance.

When there was more empty scenery and zoning out, I just skipped ahead to the revelation part, which wasn't too bad, and then it was finally over. I thanked God and ran here to try and stop others from wasting precious time.
27 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very nice visually, but doesn't go anywhere
scheduledgeoff22 January 2019
I really like the cinematography. I also like the idea of the story. However, after about 30 minutes, I just felt like it wasn't going anywhere and turned it off. It didn't seem like there was anything to figure out.