Purple Hearts (2022) Poster

(2022)

Ok but the music....
annette-8753631 July 2022
I enjoyed this movie even tho it was a bit predictable. Very good story, the music was great BUT her singing was annoying! I could only understand 1/2 the words. Stop trying to be so breathy. Just sing.
202 out of 249 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Luke Warm
JonnyDR751 August 2022
Nicholas Galitzine is excellent in every movie I've seen of his, but I feel like he's never gotten the right role in the right movie at the right time to propel him to the proper level of success and status which he deserves. I don't want to get into the negative opinions I have about this movie. I think its flaws are apparent, and I don't think it's necessary to drag down the hard work everyone clearly did. I just wish Nicholas was given a meatier role in a A-list project, so more people could appreciate his talent.
40 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pretty Cringey
rynrox1 August 2022
I wanted to like it, was hoping to enjoy it as a lighthearted cheesy romance - but I could not sit through any more cringey liberal and conservative stereotypes. No one talks like this. It was painful to watch and a little too cliché for my liking.
201 out of 263 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I wanted to like this movie
randyunseen2 August 2022
I really wanted to like this movie. The chemistry was off in all scenes. The singing was horrible especially the opening song. A little to political for me and not very believable... This movie just didn't work...
151 out of 211 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Actually, better than expected
pigues30 July 2022
Ok it might be predictable but the development of the characters is slow and realistic, and you witness how they end up caring deeply for one another.

Good acting as well.

It is better than the usual romcom movies that netflix produces.
213 out of 265 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Completely blindsided
Manly19471 August 2022
Didn't know the actors. (I'm Australian, cut me some slack) Sounded like a dud rom-com.

I'm a 54 yr old grumpy male. This is not my usual genre.

But as I'm recovering from Covid I found myself having a little pity party.

So that's my excuse for venturing into this movie.

Well, I can say it brightened my day (week) ten-fold.

Sofia Carson was brilliant. Her singing and song choices reminded me of Lady Gaga/Pink .

Don't you just love it when you take a punt on a movie and it just blows you away.

Terrific acting, great, and surprisingly good story line.

Yes, it fits in the rom-com category, but it offers much, much more.
40 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good, dramatic, cheesy slice of love
jldivelbiss31 July 2022
This was pretty darn good. It's definitely a romantic, fictional-based story in every sense of the imagination but still oh so cheesy good! A must watch for the hopeless romantic who wishes to stay hopeless in reality but hopeful in fictional love storylines.
23 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cute and had potential.......but Netflix
jpcjcpd31 July 2022
It seems like whomever wrote this knows nothing about how the military works (from deployments, to advance pay, credit unions, etc.). It's the typical tropes that are meant to add to the story but become a distraction.

As is usually the case with Netflix, I'm forced to sit through a political lecture with a side portion of a movie, as opposed to a movie that makes some political points. The "mean girl" routine by the lead actress gets old with the angry feminist activist routine. The writers fail to see the contradiction of the way she behaves with the "be kind" bumper sticker.

The acting is better than average for their movies, which is still not great. The story is ok, but predictable and somewhat lackluster. The side story line with the drug dealer and resulting court martial gets old and is borderline ridiculous. The politics take away from the story because it's constant and over the top as opposed to adding to the story through nuance.

Not a terrible watch, but not recommended. It's forgettable.
115 out of 164 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Surprisingly good
blebbe1 August 2022
I didn't have high expectations for this, but I ended up actually kind of enjoying it. The story itself is sweet, I liked the tension between the main characters. The acting was great and the pacing was pretty good too. It was a little predictable, but nothing too bad.

The two main characters obviously had some differences in opinions and values, but still ended up falling for each other. This is sweet and all, but I just hoped they had explored that more. I mean, their values are in direct conflict, because they're literally the opposite from each other. And they never seemed to find any common ground, there was no chemistry in their conversations. This all made the ending feel a little unbelievable.
36 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What a lovely quirky surprise - Stunning
skpn12330 July 2022
A story about redemption and finding light in each other, in the total differences. Love in the fire of growth and change. This film has so much heart, chemistry, and genuine feeling I was totally mesmerised and any faults just melted away. I cannot tell you one and encourage you not to look for them, rather be swept up in the ride........ Sofia Carson and Nicholas Galitzine are stunning together and the whole cast is memorable. I will look for these actors from hereon.....
88 out of 139 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I don't get the bad rating for this movie.
fersiaf30 July 2022
There is too much hate in the world already and give this romantic movie a break y'all. First, why be so critical on a romantic movie? I just don't get it. The movie is like a breather especially when you have seen a lot of serious movies or series. Appreciate the simplicity and immense yourself into something that somehow would allow yourself to escape reality. Who wouldn't like to have a love story like theirs? This movie tells us how great it is to have someone who really loves us and I guess the poor critiques are all so bitter enough that they fail to see the beauty of falling in love or they are too serious with their lives having no time for some love.

And the actors here really did a fantastic job! They mirror the realities of true people - that in life it is not always a happy day. You can really feel the hurt in their acting. It's like a rollercoaster ride with them.

I wished though it could have been longer. Like what we say in the Philippines, it's "Bitin". But, still a good movie. Watch this!
126 out of 191 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
FAITHFUL ATTEMPT TO NICHOLAS SPARKS REVIAL
soumyabratamajumder251 August 2022
Yes I had to bring up Nicholas Sparks coz if anyone remembers Nicholas Sparks's Rom-coms were a genre of their own and this movie reminded me exactly of those movies which we all love to see in a weekend but hate to admit. What I liked about this movie is that it knows that it is a feel good rom-com and it is committed to it. I felt good because it turned out better than I expected it to be. Bonus for using that dreamy sunlight glow filter in the movie which made it look like an actual movie not like a TV movie.

They said rom-coms are dead , sadly for theatres they are dead but this kind of faithful good attempts make me hopeful for this genre .

P. S- The both actors did a pretty good job, they made me rooting for them by the end of the movie.
32 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better than it had any right to be
hakmajik30 July 2022
Formulaic? Absolutely.

Did it pioneer new territory? No.

But beyond that did it check the marks for the genre? Yes.

Two leads that devour the camera, have realistic (current) differences and evolve. And most importantly- it doesn't overthink itself. It's a story about two people that find their way. And that's enough for me- and should be for nearly anyone of the genre.

Heck- the soundtrack was great (kudos) as and added bonus.
115 out of 148 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
LOL!!
sarah_sle1 August 2022
More of the same crap from Netflix! Is this what my $20 a month funds?!?! 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️ No wonder why so many people are leaving and streaming direct from the free internet sites!
75 out of 120 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I wasn't expecting this!
KristinaGeorgievaBG4 August 2022
Every time I watch a romance I don't expect much. Every romantic movie has three basics. In the beginning they like each other then hate each other and finally they love each other. But this film has something different. It has something real. They show us how two people fall deeply in love. And they show it to us slowly, step by step. They didn't rush anything. Yeah it's not one of the greatest movies but the story line between them it's amazing. It was a fresh air. Something new.
30 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A movie lives on details
reinhardt-thomas8 August 2022
This one does not pay slightest attention to details and looses all authenticity. A singer that cannot really sing, nobody of the crew did research on diabetes.
35 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I was looking for chemistry the whole time
Misss2515 August 2022
People are praising much more than this movie and storyline actually deserves. Some of my friends literally requested me to watch this otherwise I wouldn't have. I'm so disappointment. There wasn't any character development rather martial law and bla bla. There wasn't any chemistry between two main lead. When the male lead was injured, I thought, this is time, maybe she will be gentle towards him. But, she actions was just irritating. This movie just disappointed me at every level.
13 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It took 1 minute.
Nevergivea1030 July 2022
I knew It was Going to be bad within the first minute. The Marines are in San Diego singing cadence about Parris Island which is in South Carolina. They lost me there but I still gave it some more time. The acting is terrible. The script is terrible. Only a person who truly loves romance shows could overlook how horrible this is And give it a high rating. All others avoid.
79 out of 146 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What a great movie! I enjoyed every minute
katushenka5 August 2022
It's been a long time since I've seen such a great romantic movie. Great acting, interesting plot, beautiful and emotional songs. This movie actually makes you think about the problematic health system US have. Absolutely terrible, how do people with no health insurance survive in that country? Anyway this is A must watch!
19 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really bored
rodrigogeldresbazan12 August 2022
Super slow movie, not much happens, we learned almost nothing from the characters in the movie, some of the lines were so ridiculous like "I can smell a jalapeño in your pores, so you need to take a bath" what... and she as a character was very annoying and selfish with a super annoying way of singing.
12 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One To Add to My Forever Collection
afaagau3 August 2022
Love the acknowledgement and paying homage to our fellow Americans who lay down their lives for our freedoms. The story is predictable but very enjoyable with enough heartfelt moments to serve as a good go-to when one's having a bad day.
14 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Give it a chance past the first ten minutes!
Azmataz7771 August 2022
Ok the start was terrible, I mean who starts a movie with a montage? I've always felt that montages are lazy. We were ready to turn it off after the really bad first bar scene. The characters were annoying, the lines were forced, there seemed to be no chemistry. But stick it out. It gets better, is sweet, entertaining, heartfelt, real and has some awesome, well written songs. I loved it. It had great acting and the two leads build up a really believable and natural relationship. I laughed, I cried, and just thoroughly enjoyed it. The 2 hour long movie didn't seem to lag or anything. Get past the start and you won't regret it!
10 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The singing was soo cringe...
deesirius13 August 2022
Im not sure why young female artist have to sing this way. I can barely understand what she is saying?? Why do they do the breathy baby crooning? Its hard to enjoy the songs. Shes not untalented, just annoying. Also am i supposed to believe these two come together after their clear stances on political views. I see what Netflix tried to do and don't know that it worked. Dont get me started on the military taking the word of a blitz out drug dealer...i literally facepalmed! But i did manage to watch the whole thing, so theres that?? Its okay for what it is.
12 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I absolutely love this movie
dennyjones-4749529 July 2022
It's so good! The actor did a great job especially sofia! I loved the story the way it was shot and everything my only criticism is that I wish they had a theater release.
39 out of 64 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I LOVED this movie.
mikemcbride9701630 July 2022
I'm no pseudo/wannabe critic, so I'm not trying to give a detailed analysis of where this movie succeeds and where it fails. The standard metric by which I judge romance movies is how lonely I feel when it's done, and having just finished it, I am...very lonely lol.

Is this a perfect movie, no. But it is a very enjoyable one. I didn't watch it so I could see groundbreaking cinema that carefully avoided every known romantic trope or cliche. It has good acting, a fun story, and good chemistry between the leads. I'm gonna be thinking about this one for a while.
28 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.