Mulan (2020) Poster

(2020)

2,804 Reviews
Dull
mirnasayshi12 September 2020
In the original Mulan is a normal girl who does amazing things through hard work. In this one she like Chinese Neo or something and has magical powers which kinda messes up the message.

But the main problem with this version is that it's just cringy and boring.
671 out of 934 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Soulless ( i'm being kind)
kalinp10 September 2020
Well... this is what happens when you give 200 million dollars budget and a great cast to the wrong director! Or probably it was the producer... You could at least give us some nice soundtrack... but noooo, you had to destroy it all at once
874 out of 1,225 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disney... you brought shame upon your family
jaka60526 September 2020
This is probably the worst movie I have seen in the last two years. And mind that Mulan still is one of my favourite cartoon movie, so thats quite something to achieve.

Let me put it simple, every time the script diverged from the cartoon it was for the worst. They left out the best parts and added the most ridiculous nonsense you can imagine.
  • The Witch: Why add this character? How lazy do you have to be as a screenwriter to only be able to make the story "work" by adding a character that can morph into any other character? Betrayal? Complicated motives? Multilayered characters? No - it was just the witch who took over the Kings servant.
  • The Phoenix: Absolutely useless trope. I would argue that the story of Mushu in the cartoon was written better that the whole Mulan 2020 script. This dumb phoenix from the ashes metaphor has been done a thousand times, please for gods sake can these people have one original idea?
  • Loyal, brave, and true. These three words appear like 10 Times through the movie yet absolutely nothing comes from it that wouldn't naturally appear in a Mulan story. Its like making a Harry Potter movie and have the word "Magic" appear on every item. Yeah we know, it's a movie about bravery - we have all seen the cartoon.
  • Scenery: The landscapes are beautiful, if this would be a documentary. Did anyone tell the director that the landscapes in a movie need to make sense? I felt like I'm watching an old spice comercial: I'm on top of a mountain, now I'm in the desert, look back to me I am now inside a vulcano.

In Summary the movie had three very strong virtues. But I'm not talking about "loyal, brave, and true" the three words that come to my mind are "ridiculous, dumb and lazy". So yeah, don't watch, don't buy. Just watch the cartoon another time.
1,171 out of 1,705 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An Insult of Culture and Shame
wangbin1518-237-18244014 September 2020
"Do you believe they are actually picking a Chinese girl to play the role as Mulan in the new real-person Disney remake movie?" I can still remember the question from an ABC girl and the excitement on her face when she was asking the question back in 2017. And after all these years of waiting, it turns out to be a complete disappointment.

A 3-star is probably the best rating that I can give here. Yifei Liu is absolutely the ideal cast for the character of Mulan. It looks astonishing on that reflection of Mulan in the sword poster. And that wins the movie one of the stars. Some of the scenery in the movie are beautiful especially with IMAX 3D. Mountains and skyline of the capital city are breathtaking, which earns the second star. It is probably a half star if not with IMAX. As for the third, since IMDB won't allow me to give a ZERO star for the worst movie of all time, it is basically a buy-2-and-get-1-for-free star.

Mulan's story has been told to all the Chinese of their childhood for over a thousand years. And thanks for Disney, the story is told to all the world with their great cartoon movie in 1998. The spirit of Mulan has been encouraging generations of people, including her bravery, loyalty and most importantly her filial responsibility. (Well, that's true, Chinese people thinks highly of their filial duty.) However, all the spirits above are but of words engraved on the sword, and the director really wants to tell that little story about a girl seeking for her true-self, which could be any other story but Mulan's. Despite of that, the whole story line is not logical, well, at all. * Avoiding to face the true-self as a female? Is that true? * Hiding family Kungfu from the troop? Is that necessary? * Taking off all armor and helmet to run for a war fight? Cannot be more logical. * A troop of well trained soldiers counting the Emperor's life on and only on a little girl? Best strategy ever. * Such an easily provoked Emperor that would rather get himself into a one on one fight to a berserker? Trump wouldn't do that for sure.

If you want to make a good Chinese history based movie, the least thing you have to do is to do some real study on it. But all I can see from this movie is prejudice from westerners to Chinese traditional culture and a soulless Disney drama. * Praying to phoenix for safety and peace? We don't ever do that in China. * Concubines with pale white faces and bloody red cheek makeups? That's what Japanese Geishas do. * A mind-controlling or transforming witch? Okay, Valar Morghulis. * Phoenix Vs Eagle metaphor? What's that for? Basically, not a single culture is presented precisely from where they come in this movie. If you can read Chinese, you can learn more mistakes that are made about the culture, history timelines, etc, where the ratings goes all the way down to 4.9 after 3 days of the release. If you can't, don't bother, and just remember the mistakes are much more than you can even imagine. The director successfully made a contribution to alienate the understanding between the westerners and Chinese. Westerners may think this another movie that is made for Chinese in order to please the Chinese market, while Chinese people are actually feeling INSULTED by all these cultural bias. Niki Caro shows us a great example how to make a movie and offend both side of the audience.

In the original Mulan folklore, there are no characters like Mushu, the cricket, and all the funny souls of ancestors. But who would possibly complain about a cute funny dragon especially when it comes from Disney? But when a silent, helpless and do-not-know-what-to-do phoenix is taking Mushu's place, it just let people doubt if this 2020 remake is actually a Disney movie. Besides, Mulan is made a superhero with great talent when she was very young. And of course, a heroine cannot have a boyfriend, potential one, as a general or something. That adaption sounds not feminist at all.

All in all, this movie is simply a waste of a good legend, passion from Disney fans, 2 hours of your life probably, and above all, 200 million dollars. Good job Niki Caro!
454 out of 691 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Trust the Bad reviews
AbhiSh4ke5 September 2020
Everything that made Mulan great has been dropped the charming side characters, the humour, the character development all of it in favour of this bland cringey Cliche be yourself girl power lunacy. Just don't waste the 30$ on this believe me you will thank me later.
763 out of 1,186 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Chi Awakens
eldinhomehic14 September 2020
They turned Mulan into a Rey clone; that's all you need to know. Why bother creating a flawed and vulnerable character that gains the viewer's respect through hard work, perseverance and resourcefulness when you can just tack on magical plot-solving heritage and thus cut out the middleman entirely? Worked well with Rey, didn't it?

Also, remember how in the original, Shan Yu didn't care one bit that Mulan was a woman? All that mattered to him was that she was responsible for destroying his army and he took her as seriously as any other enemy. Well it would seem that was just way too progressive for modern audiences because Mr. Khan over here can't go 5 minutes without reminding you how much he hates women...because, you know, overcoming segregation matters more than overcoming your enemy through skill and ingenuity.

A 200 million dollar female power fantasy -- that's what this is.
166 out of 247 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No music according to Niki
anthonyjcox7 September 2020
No music because when charging into war, "you don't press pause and start singing cause it isn't realistic" says Niki. Yet, in one of the most emotional and amazing war scenes in Lord of the Rings Return of the King starts with Pippin singing as Faramir charges towards the Orcs - and that film won 11 Academy Awards.
443 out of 687 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's not a remake, it's a re-imagining of an EPIC story
emilie-lamb5 September 2020
I am frustrated with the reviews here that only talk about the fact that this movie was not a comedy or a musical like Mulan (1998). I love the first Mulan movie and in fact Mulan is one of my favorite Disney characters. I still sing songs from that movie to my children each night. But if I wanted to watch Mulan (1998), I would just watch the original.

This movie is not meant to be a re-make, it is meant to be a re-imagining of a deeper story. A legend. A story about a woman who wants to be TRUE to herself but still respectful of her family, her culture, and her country. I think that the comedic relief of the Mushu character would have taken away from the important message that we can all stand to learn from this legend. Mulan learns that what she has within her is NOT something to be hidden away, but a gift that she can share with the world. I also thought the score of this movie was beautiful and the subtle references to the original brought tears to my eyes.

If you want to watch Mulan (1998), then watch that movie and don't pay the $29.99 to watch this movie. But if you want to watch a movie with beautiful cinematography, music, and a story that any person across generations can learn something from, then I suggest you try this one.
587 out of 921 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
How did this go so badly?
studrake26 January 2021
I understand and accept that it's a REIMAGINING and NOT A REMAKE. That's fine. I was on-board and fully prepared to not compare to the original and to treat it as its own work.

The story was choppy and spent lots of time developing certain elements, and rushed through what should have been main plot points. The acting was mostly terrible. Mulan and a few of her fellow soldiers were fine, but everyone else greatly disgraced their families.

Don't make the same mistake Disney did by giving this the time of day.
19 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You wouldn't be able to tell it was Disney's Mulan if they didn't tell you.
le-025084 September 2020
Honestly, it felt like a generic Chinese fantasy martial arts movie with a mediocre story line and shallow character development. You can't include Mushu because you want it to be more realistic/traditional but you can add a shapeshifter into the plot? What? There's no Disney magic like the original Mulan (1998) that was beloved by fans. No humor, no songs, or the Disney feel to it. If it didn't have the name "Mulan" as its title then it would have been just another mediocre movie at best, forgettable but not terrible. But for a Live Action remake of the beloved classic "Mulan", absolute trash. Save your $30 and 2 hours of your life that you'll never get back. I mean I don't know how else to convey it but... man was it awful.
1,022 out of 1,698 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dishonor!
petarjovanchevic10 September 2020
This is one High Quality disappointment. Inferior to the original Disney Animation in every way conceivable. Dishonor on you! Dishonor on your cow!
403 out of 673 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not worth $30
vijeetchandorkar-7259510 September 2020
This movie is garbage. Not even close to the original classic animation. Utter waste of time.
381 out of 636 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's not the same movie; get over it.
jlcp-photo17 September 2020
This movie is very different to the animated film: there's no singing; there's no Mushu; there are lots of typical Chinese martial art action scenes (i.e. people running straight up walls/basically flying); there's a new villain; the ending is different.

... And that's okay. Stories don't all have to be told in the same way. Sorry that you might be upset about that. Here is a review of the film from someone who isn't heartbroken that it's not identical to the animated movie. (Seems like I am one of the only people here who thinks that way.)

IMO, live-action Disney adaptations that follow the animated version frame by frame are boring as hell because you know what's going to happen. At the end of the day, this movie is about a woman showing us she can do exactly what men can do - if not more - and she saves her kingdom through her persistence and intelligence, not just her physical strength. Is that not the message of the animated film? (She also brings the more "feminine" idea of love/family into what are considered prized virtues. Yay.)

This rendition of Mulan naturally has a lot of power; but the crux is that she can only harness that by being true to herself as a woman, not by being deceptive and trying to pass as a man. So there's some weird chi-related stuff. You're not okay with that but you wanted a talking dragon? You can't have this woman accept herself and her strength unless Eddie Murphy helps her to do so?

For people wondering about the witch: she represents what Mulan *could* have become based on the biases at the time. The witch is "evil" because she was cast out for being a strong woman and sided with the only people who would tolerate her. Mulan, luckily, gets to show her country her strength and be appreciated for it on the "good" side.

Mulan's character isn't as fleshed-out as it could be; additionally, the story is weaker in parts and seems rushed in some sections (in particular when she is turned away by the general only to be accepted back minutes later and put at the head of the group to save the Emperor). However, it is a solid story of intelligence and perseverance and the action scenes are fantastic, which somewhat makes up for the lack of character development.

Although it's not a musical, if you pay attention, some of the songs from the animated film do make their way into this edition. Also, some of the lines from the animated movie are repeated in this. (Mulan was my favourite "Disney princess" when I was a kid so I really noticed these nods to the older movie.)

In short, this film has its flaws but I thoroughly enjoyed it as a new take on a classic. Stop being so butthurt it's not a carbon copy of something you already watched.
191 out of 314 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
300 million dollar mess not even worth 3 dollar
vikrammaan-4475512 September 2020
Disney can't make anything original same old story of remaking classic animation in live action didn't paid off. Bad action, choreography, screenplay is very dull and boring. Changed history of characters to make movie work. Really bad action and costumes look cheap. I was lucky I didn't paid 30 dollars watch it at friends place. Felt like walking out halfway thru the movie.
275 out of 461 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not Sure What People Wanted
Steeler9213 September 2020
I've never seen the cartoon version but my daughter has and she loved ir. I promised I'd take her to see this when it came out in the theater. Well, that didn't happen. Although the price tag was a bit high I decided to shell out the 30 bucks (I'd have paid 50 at the movies). We both found the movie enkoyable. It was dramatic, funny in parts, touching in other parts. The scenery was amazing. I'm not sure what people were looking for in this. Apparently there is a talking dragon and singing in the carroon. I'll pass on both. This reminds me of another Disney movie people under-rated because they didn't understand the point: Tron: Legacy. Just chill out and enjoy a movie rather than getting your quarantined panties in a bunch!
234 out of 394 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What did I watch?
mhorg201820 September 2020
Boring, some poor sfx and the witch is totally unnecessary. Why didn't she just go to the emperor and kill him? I found the actress playing Mulan unconvincing. She was so tiny, how were we to believe she passed as a boy and fought the way she did? Disney should just stop with the remakes and try and make something new. Or is Hollywood terrified of this?
231 out of 390 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disney, what are you DOING!?!
watcher1014 September 2020
Uch, it was bad. And I had high hopes for this one, at least as an action film. But nope, it was an all around mess. First of all, it's Woke (of course it is), but that's only the start of the problems. Sometimes they have lame fighting styles, other times they just randomly throw in something out of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, and not in a good way, but it's all really boring. They also took out all the interesting characters, like Mushu, Shang, Cricket, Mulan's grandmother, Mulan's 3 army friends, and instead we get these pointless nobodies who have little to no role other than simply being there. They even gave Mulan a sister, but she adds absolutely nothing; you can take her out of the movie and it changes nothing. Oh, and there's no Shan Yu either, instead we get these two generic, boring villains with no character. And let's not forget the inclusion of chi and actual magic and witchcraft. And, of course, Mulan is an overpowered Mary Su who, even as a child, was performing moves that would put Jacki Chan to shame. I mean, why not give her actual development in training and stuff to show her becoming a good fighter when you can just make her super OP Mary Sue right off the bat, right? The acting itself is bland, and even the dialogue is horrible. Everyone talks in these tone-deaf monotone voices with no emotion in them. You really feel nothing for any these characters. The movie has none of the charm of the original, and they don't even have any of the songs. Seriously, the movie is an utter disaster, and completely boring. They would have been better off doing a shot-for-shot remake like they did with the live-action Lion King. Get your act together, Disney, you're sinking your own ship.
1,028 out of 1,833 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What's with all these bad reviews?
TheGreatGreenBadger5 December 2020
This is such a good movie! Why can't people enjoy a good movie without being so highly critical or comparing it to the original. There is so much new content and the camerawork is spectacular! Yes, there are some problems and it was rushed at first, but it ended out to be a thrill ride nonetheless! So, open your mind and enjoy this amazing Disney remake!
145 out of 242 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stop ruining my childhood
buddhafulbelle026 September 2020
Just stop. This Mulan is devoid of all the fun and charm of the original. I don't want to waste too many words on this, just don't bother watching it.
305 out of 528 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dose not deserve all the negatives
laufey6911 September 2020
Great movie.... keep an open mind..... Keep in mind you are not watching the animated movie from 1998 which was made with children in mind. The movie has a great storyline and can easily inspire young minds. "You can be/do what ever you want to just as long as you do everything you can to get to your goals"
110 out of 181 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A feel good film!
fjohnson-4352312 September 2020
Not sure why this has got such a low rating. I thought it was great. A real heart warming film. Great action scenes and most of all a happy ending.
128 out of 216 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Forget the original movie
mettemundberg5 December 2020
If you just watch this movie for what it is and dont compare it to an Old Cartoon then you Will enjoy it! I loved it 👍
131 out of 222 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What Was That?
Impartial-Critic7 September 2020
A Chinese girl disguises herself as a male warrior in order to save her father...this is mainly the plot and Nothing Else!

The new wave of - Marvel/Disney and DC's - Origins and reboots are such a drag, easily spotted as a cash grabber and what's worse is they lack the means to fool the average audience to think that there's a point there, with out any care for a solid plot, interesting story telling, decent acting or even a POINT for telling a story to being with. Just colorful CGI and wrap it up and throw it out there as people eats everything big companies throw at them. Mulan follows the same disfigured recipe for failure with a boring story, lame non relatable characters, disfigured shadow of the old classic and a drag when it comes to acting.

Overall a pointless continuous disaster for the money driven reboots that is not worth wasting time.
152 out of 261 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Newbie
deadpixies-9183124 September 2020
I came to this fresh. I haven't seen the original. I didn't know the story. Judged solely therfore on its own merits I really enjoyed this movie.
106 out of 179 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great cinematography
yegyjhzmmy5 September 2020
Every frame is beautiful. The story is ok. The fighting was ok. They could have hired an action director from Hong Kong to make the actions better.
88 out of 147 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.