Crash Pad (2017) Poster

(I) (2017)

Surprisingly hilarious
atbakerstreetb25 November 2017
On the surface, Crash Pad is the typical men are like this/women are like that/nothing matters just get laid comedy, but there's more to it than what meets the eye at first glance.

The acting is frankly brilliant. Domhnall Gleeson's comedic genius really shines through; I can't wait to see more of him in this genre. His chemistry with Haden Church is hilarious, and Christina Applegate's emotional performance makes you feel for her cardboard-character.

The script tries too hard at times, but the one-liners are very memorable, and the jokes that land land hard. I loved how over-the-top and self-aware it was; the best comedies are always comedies of comedies.

I'm not sure who the target audience was. Fans of romcoms might find it offensive; romcom haters might find it too silly and clichéd; but if you don't have expectations and let this movie surprise you, you'll have a fun time.
17 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Different... in a good way
pjscarf10 November 2017
The script made this movie. It's extremely clever and written in a talky, self-aware way that I didn't mind at all. Some of the jokes build, getting funnier as they get longer. I've honestly never seen anything like it before, and I mean that in the best way possible. It reminded me of the first time I saw Kevin Smith's Clerks way back in the day, Jeremy Catalino's voice is that fresh and different. If you're up for a fresh and funny voice, I highly recommend this film.
16 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Domhnall Gleeson brings this film up to a "5" despite a very poor script
Instant_Palmer26 September 2017
This would have been a disaster were it not for Gleeson, who somehow manages to work in his take on the naive nerd looking for true love, who falls for an older married woman (Applegate), only using him for sex to pay back her husband (Hayden Church) for what she perceives is his infidelity.

Gleeson's very good performance allows the audience to bear through a sophomoric script.

Kudos to Thomas Hayden Church whose impeccable timing adds needed snap to the dialogue.

Editng is notable as well.

Gleeson is an impressive actor, and as he (hopefully) stretches himself into more complex roles, will no doubt discover higher ground upon which he can unfold his talent.

I'm rating Crash Pad a 5 (avoiding a 1 only because of Gleeson, Church and overall snappy editing).

The rest of the cast is wasted on this dog of a a script and 5 is generous.

2017 is going down as one of the worst years for movie releases unless the holiday season comes up big to redeem it.
25 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A fun and funny film!
freep4 October 2017
I laughed out loud a lot! I loved the interaction between all four main characters.... Hayden Church, Applegate, Gleeson and Dobrev...but Hayden Church and Gleeson living together and bar hopping was HYSterical! A great eye was paid to the smaller roles too, loved the land lady, bar fly's, tarts and the singer!! The production design of Gleeson's sleazy digs was perfect! Cocktail montages was my absolute favorite! I was not sure of Gleeson as a love interest at first but by the end of the film, I was even in love with him and his dance moves!!! ......A fun and funny film!
19 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Goofy flick With a startling number of laughs, if you're open to it
mandorallen-the-lion1 November 2017
So now i'm in that awkward place of my review where i've already said everything in the title. But. All the thespians involved played their roles to the hilt, but Gleeson was so good he took a little time to get used to. Every time he was on screen in the first bit was perfect, but he takes a hot minute to start liking, just like a real person might.

The script was actually strange in that there were a few brief moments throughout when it was a little clunky, surrounding incredibly smooth portions. There were parts that were downright impressive for a goofy comedy, but then it would wobble a little bit.

Still. Highly enjoyable for a lighthearted romp. Enjoy.
14 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A juvenile and unfunny romantic comedy
Gordon-1111 October 2017
This film tells the story of a young man who meets the woman of his dreams. The morning after, she tells him that she is in fact married. The young man decides to seek revenge, but the most unlikely thing ensues as her husband moves in with him.

It is unfortunate that the story is just over the top, irritating and not funny. The things that happen in the story are just too juvenile. Drinking from a homeless man's boot is something even stoner films writer can't imagine. All the excessive drinking and womanising does not help to make the characters anymore sympathetic either. The two men just appears to be giant jerks. I cannot say I enjoyed watching it.
19 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Well, Domhnall Gleeson was really funny in it.
subxerogravity22 November 2017
Not as funny as I was hoping but still very entertaining. The whole premises was very interesting, but Thomas Haden Church could have done some better acting. He was a little stale. More importantly  Domhnall Gleeson, was historical. I think I've seen him do some comedy, but what he's doing here seems out of his element than what I'm use to seeing him do and he did it well. Interesting little movie about manhood and male bonding. Not the best film but I did laugh and enjoined it.
8 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Glazed Donuts Galore!
fionasoldado21 February 2018
I give this a 10/10 rating because Domhnall Gleeson.
8 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"I'll Make a Man Out of You"
Kamurai2520 September 2020
Good watch, could watch again, and can recommend.

I really like this cast, and I think it took a strong actress like Christina Applegate to play her role.

This movie is all about "being a man", or what it is to "be a man" with some female manipulation, mixed with manipulation within relationships.

Domhnall Gleeson really embodies the "loser" persona, and manages to show his range throughout the movie, giving a good lead to the story, especially contrasting against Thomas Haden Church. I don't know when he became the American symbol for manliness, but he can definitely wear it well.

There honestly isn't much too it, a lot of the movie is "I'll Make a Man Out of You" on repeat, but it's somewhat charming none the less, and there is a lot of character progression on all sides.

Definitely not a waste of your time, but there are a lot of movie choices out there, and I can't blame you if you find something that people rave about instead.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A good and funny film and Domhnall Gleeson does it
mariemarie-1771426 July 2018
I think Domhnall Gleeson stars this film. There ´s no problem about this. We´re having a raising star of this generation . A solid comedian who makes the movie totally. Yeah. Applegate is a very talented actress, specially for comedies and does the role perfectly. The cast works OK.

The script is invisible, it doesn´t exist. This is another ONE-MAN-COMEDY-FILM made for Domhnall , in Domhnall star figure and for Domhnall own glory, anyway I liked it very much, I like Domhnall a bit more than before
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Check out CRASH PAD! You won't regret it!
j19834 October 2017
What a delightful surprise! My husband and I discovered 'Crash Pad' this weekend on itunes because we are big Christina Applegate fans and LOVED it! We plan to watch it again tonight with friends. Amazing cast! Who knew General Hux was sooooo funny?! He steals every damn scene.

Please, do yourself a favor and check it out. With annoying remakes added with depressing news - a hilarious comedy like 'Crash Pad' is the antidote. We need more movies like this!!
8 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not your typical romantic comedy
holla_nex20 February 2018
Actually really enjoyed it. A quirky comedy that is bound to bring a smile to your face.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hilarious!
dbh8508 December 2017
The actors were wonderful. I particularly like Domhnall Gleeson and have appreciated his father's work for many years. Christina Applegate is always a pleasure to watch and in recent years, I have really come to enjoy the work of Thomas Haden Church. Don't know how I seemed to miss him for his early years of work.

I loved seeing this cast work together - I like their chemistry. I thought the story was hilarious - I will admit that comedy is one of my favorite genres.

I am looking at the score that IMDb viewers gave it: 5.6 as of this writing. I'm so glad I generally ignore those scores. When I saw whom the actors are, I decided to watch it. Glad I did!

The story is fresh and original, the characters wonderfully written, the direction, editing, even the extras - I loved every minute. The acting was fantastic. Whatever issue people have that caused such a low score, I see it differently.
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A raunchy romantic comedy
kfink0166 June 2020
Those looking for a true romantic comedy are those who give this anything less than a 5. If you're looking for humor, this movie has it! I loved the writing! Extremely creative. I felt there was very great chemistry with the actors.

As someone who has a very professional and successful mentor, I was able to relate to their relationship and it made it all the funnier!

Highly recommend!
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Should have been bigger ...Hit Comedy!
lafchef1 August 2020
Christina A. Is on a roll! With amazing comedic performance by Domhnall Gleeson and strong supportive contribution from Nina Dobrev- this film was hysterical! Loved it from start to finish! Surprisingly fresh and funny!
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Had a few laughs
dar041714 February 2020
Had some funny moments but the film played out more awkward then entertaining.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wow. What a Clunker
arfdawg-115 November 2017
The Plot. A hopeless romantic (Domhnall Gleeson) thinks he's found true love with an older woman (Christina Applegate), only to learn that she's married and their encounter was merely an instrument of revenge against her neglectful husband (Thomas Haden Church).

Initially out for blood, the husband finds himself strangely sympathetic to the romantic's plight.

He decides the best way for the two of them to get revenge is by moving in together, cutting her out and living a bachelor's life.

This could have been a good flighty comedy. Instead it's brought down to a dead end by Gleeson who is the worst actor of the century. It's painful to watch his scenes he's so bad.
8 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worst film this year!
akannostacy9 March 2019
I couldn't even ho through till the end. I kept fast forwarding it and still couldn't watch it. I literally stopped some minutes into the film. I can't believe Christina Applegate and Nina Dobrev will attach themselves to films like this. It's humiliating and embarrassing.
2 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bizarre juxtaposition of the erudite, the obnoxious and the sentimental
jrarichards10 November 2019
In Kevin Trent's "Crash Pad", Domhnall Gleeson has to try harder than usual to convince us that his character Stensland is actually a likeable one. He thus delivers - at times in near-theatrical style - great dollops of Jeremy Catalino's lines of significant wordy philosophical and mostly world-weary content, albeit liberally sprinkled with the foulest of four-letter words - at least two a sentence.

Why is that so?

Actually, Stensland is indeed quite innocent, as he was more or less picked up by Christina Applegate's Morgan, who only later reveals to him that she is (actually quite firmly) wedded to husband Grady (played by Thomas Haden Church).

For entirely obscure reasons, Grady decides that his best "punishment" for both lovers simultaneously is for him to leave her and their plush house and crash in with Stensland in all his squalor, before embarking with him on a spree of socialising in which morality is largely dispensed with for the duration. In this central core of the film, words to describe the female anatomy become the new normal for the dialogue (alongside swear words), though there is scarcely a reference that does not see these parts solely as receptacles awaiting the arrival of a horny male.

Quite offputtingly, Grady is continually unable to decide whether he is mentor, father figure, punisher or best pal of Stensland, who is obviously at least half a generation younger, but is ... or in reality is not ... the more prudish and restrained of the two.

But why should we care, anyway?

Lionisation of drinking and soft-drug use also takes centre-stage, if ironically being condemned strongly at one point by words from Gleeson's own mouth, recalling that these activities once conceivably seen as routes to happiness are now ends in and of themselves, and by no means tend to bring any real joy whatsoever. After a moment of stunned silence, the party hearing these inspiring words decides that the appropriate response is to make Stensland drink more alcohol (twice) from the boot of a hobo!

Weirdly, about two-thirds into this crude mess, a switch is suddenly thrown and classic American sentimentality makes itself felt, for no very good reason whatever, and certainly with not a hint of logic or cohesion vis-a-vis what has gone before.

Only very rarely does any of this actually achieve the apparent goal of the movie and induce laughter, or even a wry smile.
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's all radness.
nogodnomasters18 June 2019
Grady (Thomas Haden Church) and Morgan (Christina Applegate) are married. Morgan decides to have revenge sex with young Stensland (Domhnall Gleeson) who believes Morgan is single and smitten by him. Stensland becomes upset when he realizes he was used. Very upset. Dawson's Creek upset. Grady ends up moving in with Stensland, transforming his boring life as he seeks to have his own revenge sex on the revenge sex.

The film had some smile moments, but that was about it. It was mostly shouting out random ideas about relationships. Nice to see Christina took some acting lessons. Now if she can get an agent to get her a decent film.

F-word. Implied sex. Partial male nudity.
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Juvenile and unfunny, shame on the actors for accepting their roles.
TxMike4 February 2018
I watched this at home on DVD from my public library. I warned my wife that she probably would not like it so she stayed away. I suspected it to be a juvenile and unfunny movie filled with unnecessary filthy language and that is pretty accurate but I watched it just to see if anywhere it gained redemption. It didn't.

Domhnall Gleeson is a good actor, with a good script he can do drama or comedy. Here he is idealist Stensland who meets a slightly older lady and goes home with her, they enjoy great sex. As the movie opens we witness them in bed and her telling him she has a husband, been married 15 years.

The woman is 40-something Christina Applegate as Morgan. Her husband is mid-50s Thomas Haden Church as Grady, who is upset when he learns what his wife did, and he vows to look up Stendland and kill him. But instead he decides to crash at Stensland's apartment for a while rather than go back to Morgan.

The storyline has a series of unfunny interactions, it is unclear who the target audience is for this movie.
1 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wife cheats on man. Man apologies to get back with wife who cheated on him.
alanfernabc28 January 2020
Wife cheats on man. Man apologies to get back with wife who cheated on him.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.