DC's Legends of Tomorrow (TV Series 2016– ) Poster

Evolving is more important than where you start
rpvtimcotter24 January 2020
Season 1 of Legends of Tomorrow was a mixture of tones and themes that ended with somewhat of a bad taste in the viewer's mouth. It wasn't sure where it wanted to go, it wasn't sure of what it wanted to do. It's ironic that the issues of the first season became a sort of metaphor for the show's characters: evolving beyond where they started to become something better.

Made up of the secondary heroes of the Arrowverse, the show painted its characters as outcasts of that world, not good enough to headline their own show like The Flash or Supergirl. The first season labels this mentality as a bad thing. After recognizing that the tone of the show wasn't working, the writers decided to embrace that theme, but with comedy being the end result rather than melodrama.

Thus was born a different show basically. Superpowers took a backseat to wacky situational comedy. Fistfights were turned into corny motivational speaks. And their characters evolved to fit this new paradigm. The strangest thing about all of it: it totally works.

Legends of Tomorrow is not for everyone, as most superhero properties are. However, this show from season 2 on is definitely worth a try simply due to the fact there's nothing else like it on air right now. They're may be no other show like it period. The incredible mix of corny action, the wacky situations the Legends find themselves in, and the genuinely good development of basically every character all come together in a truly remarkable story about people changing for the better.

I do believe what they say is true: heroes are in the limelight, they are the ones seen and their actions are praised. But the people you don't see are just as important. Heroes are the ones we remember, but Legends never die.
100 out of 119 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So bad it's good
iiroeskola24 January 2020
Unlike The Flash and The arrow, this show doesn't take itself seriously. Yes it's cheesy and the jokes aren't always the best. But that doesn't change the fact that it's enjoyable. It's Legends of Tomorrow
85 out of 105 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the best unique shows on TV in an age of remakes.
luxun-9563930 January 2020
This show is a gem.

The entire show can be described as a combination of Back to the Future, Dr Who, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Supernatural rolled up into one. This show gets it a bit of a reputation as a "black sheep" in an era of gritty, dark, or at least just serious DC comic book shows/movies... but there's just something about watching this show that gives me the same rush and excitement of watching Saturday morning cartoons as a kid.

While most of DC's shows are campy with low budget effects and take themselves seriously, Legends embraces ridiculousness, pokes fun at their low budget, acknowledges they are the misfits, and provides a high quality time travel show full of action and comedy.

While this show does have some complaints from die hard fans of DC's dark and gritty themes (Which there's nothing wrong with, especially when involved with Characters like Batman), this show is easily a hook for people who prefer "The marvel method" of comic book cinematography.

While it did take some time to get some traction with Season 1 essentially being the show's "Star wars prequels", the following seasons are a very fun ride through history and embraces "Screwing up history for the better" to make a comedic show with a lot of heart.
62 out of 82 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I loved it
katierichards-6852821 November 2020
I started watching this show because of Flash and Arriw and now it's the only one I watch. The characters are all misfits and don't belong together at all but they are all so perfect for each other. The first season was not that great but it just got better and better after that. It's honestly my favorite show and at this point I can't even keep up with Flash and Arrow. With those two shows, the episodes can get boring and they go through dry patches but not DC's legends of tomorrow. Each episode is better than the last I definitely recomend.
26 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I can only say visually good. So-so!
ahmetkozan3 April 2016
The pilot episode sets forth the promising tale of a motley crew destined for greatness on a romp through time and space. And, for the most part, it succeeds at continuing a trend of mostly-good DC Superhero TV on the CW. Helped along by several characters that have earned us caring about them from their development on Arrow and The Flash, Victor Garber's Martin Stein, Caity Lotz's Sarah Lance, and Brandon Routh's Ray Palmer ground the show with enough heart to kick-start it into action.

Meanwhile, Snart and Rory continue to play the well characterized pair of funny anti-heroes that we have seen again and again on the other CW shows. In particular, Captain Cold's absurdly dry sense of humor and knack for puns cuts through moments of necessary pilot exposition.

The real standout, though, is Arthur Darvill as Rip Hunter, whose sharp comedic timing and deeper acting chops should help keep the show grounded in a strong protagonist moving forward. The more Legends of Tomorrow leans on Darvill and Garber for dramatic story lines, the better.

Unfortunately, not all of the characters on the team are well-developed or well-acted. Hawkman and Hawkgirl continue to be as trite and uninteresting as they were during their stint on The Flash. And despite the potential in Vandal Savage as a character, his writing thus far has not been nuanced or compelling enough to set him on par with CW's other seasonal "Big Bads".

Moving forward, the show should succeed if it focuses on its characters and actors that elevate it above mere comic book cheese, and if it executes its promise of time-travel shenanigans in inventive, fun ways.

Legends of Tomorrow doesn't look poised to knock The Flash from its "best in DC" throne just yet. The Flash benefits from not having boring main characters (I'm looking at you Hawkman/Hawkgirl, and Arrow's terrible Laurel Lance). Consistency will be Legends of Tomorrow's biggest challenge if it wants to one-up The Flash and legitimize future expansion of CW's DC Universe. 5/10
132 out of 204 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun and light-hearted
Monicacorpuz21 March 2017
People! Give it a break! This show never fails to make me laugh! It's ridiculous, cheesy and a ton of fun. Suspend reality and enjoy the ride- this is not meant for heavy thinking, deep romances or for pondering your role in life. It's fun. The humor is the truly captivating part. You never know where or when it's going to come from, but this show is a hoot- as long as you don't take yourself too seriously. I suggest giving it a try- I think this show has earned it.
170 out of 271 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's ridiculous but fun!
DiCaprio-HardyFan25 December 2020
Legends of Tomorrow is a wild, weird and just flat out fun show. The best thing about it is it doesn't take itself too serious, it knows what kind of show it is. They make fun of themselves all the time and how ridiculous the show is at times. The cast has changed quite a bit over the years but all of them have fit in and carried their own. I have to admit that I'm a huge superhero fan, not the comics but the movies and tv shows so that's why I gave it a chance to begin with but I'm glad I did because I really do like it.
19 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This series has completely jumped the shark.
djeec-19 April 2019
Legends of Tomorrow used to just be silly, now it's just ridiculous. Storylines have gotten totally convoluted and make zero sense. The cast no longer feels as bloated as it once was, but now it's like they're throwing in everything but the kitchen sink just to keep making things happen. The show is riddled with gigantic plot holes and completely lazy writing. Like, what the hell is the point to having a time-traveling spaceship, when you have a bureau that can just press a button with a little device and they can just time travel that way? The whole thing seems arbitrary and pointless. And in half the episodes now the heroes never use any of their powers. Aren't they supposed to be superheroes? Episodes just keep making huge jumps in logic and expecting the viewers to just accept it. They don't provide explanations for absolutely anything. It's like the writers know that things have gotten so silly, that they just don't care anymore. Compare it to a series like Doom Patrol. That show is super silly, but at least things make sense on some level, and you know people writing for it truly care. It's like Legends just doesn't give a crap. Performances used to show promise, now they're just cringe-worthy. What happened? I'm a huge DC, sci-fi, and time travel fan, and I really can't stand the show anymore. Whatever corner they've turned, it hasn't been for the better. It's time these Legends ride off into the sunset.
83 out of 133 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stands out from the crowd
florin-radu-343-90009425 October 2017
It is provoking to see how various DC shows are cleverly interweaved. However, trying to do a spin-off from so many of them was something I was originally skeptical about. Perhaps the first season did not give sufficient sense of direction, but the second one totally redeemed the show. I had a tense moment at the season two finale, which looked very much like a cut off point. Luckily, the decision to continue the series is highly praised, it is in my views the funniest DC show ever. I really enjoy each episode with very good laughs. The viewers criticising it for the quality of the plot might not realise that it is presumably the perfect parody that this genre was so desperately missing.
44 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
1st Season: OK, 2nd Season: Better, 3rd Season: Wonderful
danielpalus16 November 2017
I am making this review because when I looked, soo many reviews were negative. My guess is these reviewers don't really care for time travel and never really gave this show a shot.

A little context for my review; out of DC and Marvel, I would overwhelmingly go with Marvel. I greatly appreciate the ability to inject some humor into these type of programs. Legends of Tomorrow is the one DC property that gets this right. Sure it can be serious, plenty of action, but they also have those perfect moments that surprise me and make me laugh out loud.

An example of this, each episode begins with one of the characters narrating a brief catch up of what has been happening. When the arsonist thief character Rory gets to narrate, it goes something like, "Do you idiots still not know what's going on?" Had me cracking up in the first few minutes and I didn't see it coming at all.

The writing on this show has improved. Like my title suggests, season one was OK, and it has only gone up from there. The current season (3), has so far made me laugh EVERY.SINGLE.EPISODE. and I can say I honestly look forward to every new ep.

I cannot for the life of me understand how these people are giving all these negative reviews. Ridiculous. We all get to have an opinion, but if you like time travel, super heroes and a lighter take than DC's usual fare, give this show an honest try.

When I first stumbled on this show I watched it backwards, started with season two, then watched season 1. I would go that route. I feel like in season 2 they really found their footing. If you can't get into it after watching season 2, then its not for you. If you dig season 2, then you will enjoy the characters enough to enjoy season 1 even if it is not as good as S2.

If any of the writers, actors or folk associated with the show read these reviews, don't let the haters get you down. You have found your groove and are killing it. You have a quality show with great writing that keeps true to each character. The cast is excellent in their respective roles and nail each character. I'm partial to Mr. Purcell, but that's mostly because I enjoy his comedic relief.

Definitely worth watching yall.

Sincerely, Dan Palus
128 out of 214 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stupid
Although continue to watch this show it gets worst every week. I only watch because I have been since very 1st episode. It was good then. All of their super powers. Now Ray never uses Atom suit. Nathan rarely turns to steel. All they do is catch mystical creatures or talk about how one loves the other. Only excitement is Constantine.
76 out of 128 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Poorly written
chibialu15 May 2019
And I mean poorly written. I watched the first season of this show back then and it was okay. I returned now because of John Constantine, but oh boy, what did become of this show. Inconsistent Characters, poor plots, Characters made to idiots. I mean take Ray for example, he was CEO of his own firm, he developed the atom suit (By the way, where is that thing?) and the only thing he does? Goofing around and acting like a toddler.

Sarah? Trained by the league of assassins? Oh, they made her stupid too. Rory? Not a psychopath anymore Mona? A character I enjoyed in the beginning and now just some lovesick idiot who is only there to turn herself into a werewolf.

The worst one is Gary, I can't even put into words how idiotic this one is.

And I could continue. It was about saving the past and future in the beginning, and now? Nothing, just their own drama. And it's so poorly written.

Constantine deserves so much better, he should get a second season on his own show. But nope, the poor guy is trapped between those idiots. Although his annoyed face is a perfect representation of my while watching this nonsense.
74 out of 125 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Of COURSE it's silly...
junk-810-38151928 October 2018
I don't know if you comic-book lover types are aware of this, but a lot of it *is* for children. That's why there aren't any bad words in the Arrowverse. None of the four big CW DC shows are "for" adults. If your expectations were different, you don't have to give it -50 stars. Just don't give it any stars. Those of us who love it would prefer that people who don't even watch it... stop trying to ruin it for the rest of us.

I see people looking for plot-holes, complaining about the characters, getting upset about the CG. Others are angry because the "wrong" heroes were chosen. Well, the point of the Legends is that they're outsiders. They're unconventional, and don't belong anywhere except with each other on the Waverider. If Batman/Superman/AnyFamiliarDCHero were on this, it'd be so... so... stupid. Superman and Batman would think before acting. The Legends are more improvisational.

Just watch it. It's hilarious. You do need a sense of humor and the ability to let go of your hardcore comic grudges, but it's worth it.

Beebo loves you. Maybe we could all love Beebo back.
73 out of 128 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Poor storytelling and Over acting
rjamil29 January 2016
I was really excited about this show. I like all super hero stuff on TV and movies, as I am not informed about the comic books.

I watched the pilot, and thought may be I will give it another try. I watched the second episode and decided I will NOT watch it any more.

Over acting.

Poor story telling.

The Sheyara girl is horrible in many aspects.

All these super powers and the bad guy seems to do just fine.

As early as the second episode the story line got convoluted. I have a feeling this will get worse.

I hope I am wrong and others enjoy it.
253 out of 481 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Woke agenda
jackf-566273 May 2021
This show pushes its "woke" agenda too much, which is kind of funny considering all the main cast is white. They want others to be "woke", but not their casting. Haha.
11 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Poorly written, visually impressive, superficial entertainment.
lnvicta26 April 2016
I'm still not sure how I feel about "Legends of Tomorrow". I liked Ray more in "Arrow" and the thought of these eight random rogues working together is baffling. But the more I watched the more I learned to accept the show for what it is: comic book eye candy. That's really all it is. There's occasional moments of good acting; they're rare but they happen, mainly from Garber and Miller who fit like a glove into their characters Dr. Martin Stein and Leonard Snart (Captain Cold) respectively. None of the acting is offensively bad actually. It's the writing that's the bane of the show. These characters are constantly saying and doing the stupidest possible things in any given situation. It's one thing to suspend disbelief but it helps to have a modicum of common sense to keep us grounded, which many of these characters do not.

The writers clearly don't care. The concept of time is asinine. They go back and forth through time with no coherent explanation, reasoning, or consequence. Vandal Savage is wasted as a villain. Casper Crump plays him as an over-the-top Christoph Waltz type baddie, and he's fun to watch but the character itself is hollow and awfully written into the show. Every confrontation between the Legends and Savage end up with Savage escaping in an inexplicably dumb fashion, and then the group continues their search to attack him in a different time. Characters say things that make you upset at the TV, like, "Did you really have to do that? Now I have to dislike you."

The plot itself is ass. Rip Hunter gathers a team to find and kill Vandal Savage by attacking him at different points in time. But it's like, who cares? You can accept it because it's so confident in its insanity and so insistent on constantly shoving money at the screen to distract us, and for the most part, it works. The first few episodes are tough to stomach because the writing is SO gratingly awful from the get-go, but once the characters develop more and gain some semblance of chemistry (between some of them at least, namely Snart and Sara) and when they experiment with different time periods, that's where the show starts to get fun. The Wild West episode is entertaining, as are the ones where they explore the '50s and the racism and sexism that come with it. And the characters do grow on you. Snart was carrying the first few episodes but now it's more balanced. It's difficult juggling so many main characters and the show suffers for it, but the fun comes from watching these misfits interact in their absurd surroundings, making for some fun character building moments and the occasional comic relief. I actually don't hate Sara anymore, and Mick does his best Batman impression which makes for some hilarious moments, intentional or otherwise.

As it stands, "Legends of Tomorrow" has a lot of potential. Clearly the special effects budget is satisfied - the action sequences are fun to watch - but the writing needs to come together if this is going to continue as a series longterm. If nothing else, it's better than "Arrow" this season (though that's not saying much). If you're a fan of the other DC shows or a sci-fi nut in general, you might get some popcorn-level entertainment from "Legends of Tomorrow".
132 out of 248 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointment
dk88dk17 February 2021
Boring and another one of the poorly written series where every episode seems as long as an eternity.

Unbearably stupid characters and meaningless dialogues make this series simply impossible to watch. The cast is solid, the actors aren't that bad but the script is disastrous. The series started not very well, as mediocre fun, but it had potential. Unfortunately, it turned into a complete disaster. Another show that had potential but was destroyed by writers.

How do they manage to make this kind of boredom when they have such good stories from which a great script can be written.

Another show that the writers managed to destroy.
9 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better
kw-2852920 March 2018
Personally this show gets better and better every episode. I was skeptical about it after the first season. However, the current season has left me with a since of adventure every episode. The different totems powers have been very interesting and have definitely kept the interest in the show! I'm definitely looking forward to where this season is going to go as well as hoping there will be more seasons to come.
62 out of 112 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lost it's way after season 2
farhansayyed13 May 2019
The show was worth 10 stars at Season 1 & 2 , but gradually came downhill after S3 ...... the S3 & 4 rarely (almost never) focused on Ray's Atom Suit , Rory bacame Kind-hearted (who was a Pyro-maniac) Sara focusses more on her love life rather than on the Team , cheap ripoff of the Marvel's INFINITY STONES (called totems) No Captain Cold , No Rip Hunter , No Firestorm........To be frank the Show should STOP......or else bring back VANDAL SAVAGE
46 out of 82 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why is this show not cancelled yet?
arimatic14 December 2018
Why is this show not cancelled yet? It lacks direction it's full of cringy one liners and it seems it gets worst every season. Who's writing this a toddler?
32 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great series
Horrorchick0727 February 2016
Personally I really enjoy this series. Is it a hardcore DC/marvel series? No. And it's not supposed to be. Is it an in depth story with big names and script? Nope. But that's not a bad thing really. It's just a fun series that has interesting characters with different pasts who want to become legends for different reasons and in the process grow as a character. If your looking for a 100% DC then your looking at the wrong series, but if you just wanna watch a series that is inspired by characters of DC on a fun spin off that doesn't take itself to seriously then it's worth the watch. I actually prefer this series to the flash by far, and the Arrow as well (first few seasons of the Arrow was good, then it just got weird).

It's a great series that I truly enjoy watching and eagerly wait for the next episode!
97 out of 186 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Falls short
mtfastmail28 March 2019
This had some marginal potential but whatever actress (and I use that term lightly) it is who is playing Sara is just worse than bad. I think I could really have gotten into this if someone talented was playing her part or even if she were to become more of a support role, but as I understand it she has unbelievably been scripted into the position of lead in season 2 which ends my watching of this show. No doubt it is yet another example of political agendas dictating TV script development. They should loose her and script Mick back in...but, oh well. Yet, another show ruined!
39 out of 70 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fire The Runners or Cancel The Show...
go2dean4 April 2020
When this series started 5 years ago it was truly "legendary" with great heroes putting their unique powers on full display. The crossover episodes were without question spectacular, but it's the last crossover arc which has exposed just how far gone "Legends" has deteriorated. Crisis on infinite earths 1 thru 4 were action filled and breathtaking. However, part 5 which ended the arc with the legends went from serious to silly. I need not say anymore, but I will repeat my headline: FIRE THE SHOW RUNNERS OR CANCEL "LEGENDS OF TOMORROW" NOW...
21 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pushing the gay agenda way too much
confidential-6789724 May 2019
I actually went to college with Matt Ryan in Swansea, he was a decent enough bloke, but let's just say that the idea of playing a gay character wasn't on the top of his agenda back then
42 out of 77 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
How?
bororican22 February 2019
How did this show make it past season 1? How is this still running, but Constantine got cancelled after 1 season? Cliche, tacky, predictable and unfunny. This show is a train wreck.
42 out of 77 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.