Frozen II (2019) Poster

(2019)

1,126 Reviews
A big disappointment
ssmoler21 December 2019
I'm 34 years old. I loved the first one. Saw it three times in theaters. Immediately bought the soundtrack afterward.

The first one had me on my toes the whole time. The story progressed smoothly. The songs had purpose. The theme of "let it go" was relatable.

This sequel had none of that. They stuff a contrived story down your throat - having to explain everything at each step because nothing made sense. The songs are totally forgettable and filler. There is no meaningful conflict and the climax is non-existent.

A real shame.
253 out of 365 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great animations, poor story
lodewijkmdv22 December 2019
The animations where great, the story very poor. It is better to have a great story and poor animations than the other way around. The story was needlessly complicated for children and not able to catch the audience.
113 out of 159 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Glorified, Animated Outline
phoenixnslick8 December 2019
Your kids will love it, there's no doubt about that. There is serious talent behind the song writers and performers and animation team. The plotline itself is very well done, the issue was it's execution. For a film almost two hours long, everything was rushed. The film can only be described as an outline on paper that was made into film without the flesh between. Frozen 2 hardly gave the audience time to process one scene before we were thrown into another. Character motivations and emotions were traded for comedy relief in the form of Olaf, the sentient equivalent of "exposition".

This film fails to narrate how a character got to a certain point, why this and that transpired, and the motivations behind each party, however overly narrates the message of the film quite literally through Olaf exposition as mentioned above.

After being such a strong character in the first installment, Anna fell short and her emotions were conflicting (and not in the good way). Kristoff's only purpose in the film was to find a way to ask Anna a very serious question, Olaf had no other purpose or journey and while Elsa's journey was the saving grace, the film portrayed itself as if it had cut out 30 minutes of important back story and character decision making. This film lacked the emotion of the first, a sense of thrill, dread, traded in for series of beautiful visuals and fluid animation.

The score was good but not memorable. The animation was absolutely stunning. From a child's perspective, the film would be given a 10/10, but from a film review standpoint, Frozen 2 failed to deliver.
149 out of 214 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Atrocious, became like torture watching it.
MovieNinjaGuy22 December 2019
One incoherent nonsense mess that felt like the story was being made up as it went along. The end credits with about 6-8 different writers perhaps explained the reason for that.

Nothing like the first movie based on Hans Christian Anderson's Snow Queen. No charm and characters such as Olaf were simply irritating and I couldn't care if any of them would have lived or died except for Kristoff. When the movie was trying to produce drama and characters were crying I felt nothing.

Kristoff's song "Lost in the woods" and sequence were pretty good, the rest of the movie consisted of completely irritating songs that lacked rhyming where necessary. A character will start singing and I was thinking "oh no, not another song". How long is this going on for?

Gets a 2 from me, literally one point above minimum for Kristoff's song.

Totally doesn't deserve the success it's had. Patronising nonsense. 6 years in the making and this is just a complete disgrace.
149 out of 217 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The story is very weak...
john_amend_all29 December 2019
This movie is filled with songs all over the place because it has almost no story - same crap as Beauty and the beast 2.
86 out of 122 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Anti climactic.
olivejeanblair21 November 2019
Frozen II felt unsatisfying. There was lots of build up to a very short climax that felt way too easy and simple. I kept expecting another adventure which never came. The film feels short and unfinished. That said, the animation is absolutely gorgeous and I did find the film quite funny. If you go into this with low expectations I think you'll enjoy yourself.
340 out of 515 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's all about change. If you think the teasers are somewhat dark, Frozen 2 will deliver that,. And a good sequel I would say.
SomeDisneyGuy20 November 2019
(This has a post-credit scene in case you're wondering)

The songs are great. Especially Kristoff's song, an 80's jam as Jonathan Groff would say it. Even the animation looks like an 80's music video which I find funny. Olaf's comedic skits are even funnier. For Into the Unknown, not as catchy as Let it Go but time will tell. The animation, the best. Elsa got even beautifuller. If you saw the water animation you would see *much* more of that. The story is bigger, questions are answered, but there are some points that look silly. The plot is predictable but personally I enjoyed it.

The only thing I'm having a hard time agreeing with is the ending.
388 out of 602 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Performance and visuals were decent, but writing problems made it pretty poor overall.
kristophergrows2 December 2019
Wooden dialogue was otherwise we'll delivered. An excessive number of outright bad songs (with only one exception) were none the less well sung.

Character arcs and motivations were rudimentary, though at least they were not out-of-character. Yet the overall narrative barely held together as a coherent story, from its entirely literal call to adventure then through one contrived conflict and convenient solution after another, ending a series of underwhelming climaxes.

Poor writing was the problem, the screenwriting and the songwriting. There were decent ideas throughout the film that consistently failed in their implementation. It made for a film trying but failing to punch well above it's weight, more like a direct-to-video Aladdin sequel with higher production values then the unexpected breakout success of Frozen.
122 out of 181 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing visually but weak storywise
mukul190421 November 2019
Before I say anything, let me tell you that some girls were crying around my seats, so I think movie hits its demograhy.

I liked the visuals of the movie, it looks amazing, better than first one. There's lot more going on happening in the movie and it's just 1hour 50 mins long, so a lot of arcs are very rushed and convenient. There are scenea where one character tells the other that this is what they have to do, to get something, with no explanation or reasons. There's lot of, I mean lots of, exposition. Characters tell the stories, tell something they just know or feel and flashbacks or hallucinations kind-of stuff.

But this is a movie aimed to kids, and it's okay if the story wasn't technically sound. But for adults, this movie might be too silly at times.

About the songs, this time expectations were high, and I didn't like a single song from movie. There were times when I felt they just ripped off their own song from previous movie, let it go. Like last time, no song connected emotiolly with the character, but they're well performed.

Kudos to animation team, voice actors, art-designers. Not so much for writers and screen play writers.
305 out of 476 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Change From The First
AustinOswald14 November 2019
It's not hard to imagine how big this movie will be. I, as well as many others, am a huge fan of the first film and the short films that followed it. Frozen II has a different feel to it. While the first film was brimming with quirky moments, the follow up feels a little more mature in its plot and themes. This story heavily centers around the importance of change, even if that means letting go. Throughout the film, I found myself dazzled with the quality and beauty of the visuals that the animation team laid out. The story, for me, felt a little flat, however. I think the writing team missed the mark when trying to achieve the same quirkiness from the original. With the more dramatic path the writers chose to take, also came more epic musical numbers and effects. Sure there were still plenty of humorous moments, but I personally felt myself longing for more. I also find irony in the fact that this film centers around change and the overall feel of the film felt like a major shift from the first. I do think this film will still appeal to many others and I, myself, am still very excited to watch it a second time. Overall, I'd say this film found success in what it was trying to achieve and the message it was trying to send to its viewers, but couldn't quite live up to the whimsicality of the original. While not as good as the first, it's still a film you will want to take your family to and is a great addition to the Frozen franchise. 7/10
216 out of 338 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worth it for the Visuals, but plot wise all over the place.
tmd-643-82781823 November 2019
This is a beautiful movie, and Elsa's journey is a powerful one to watch. But outside of this it's narrative is completely unfocused and none of the character moments are given the time they deserve on screen. It seems that it's trying to be more adult with more lore and a darker tone, but also still gives Olaf an unnecessary about of screen time doing things that the little kids would laugh at. The pacing also feels quite rushed, even by kids movie standards. You could have cut 20 minutes out of this movie and it would have been just as good.
207 out of 325 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not as expected
lixinyue-6515926 November 2019
Frozen I was a great movie Frozen II was a grandiose movie. The story literally lead my friend and I into the unknown; both of us didn't understand it at all.

Music is okay but not that impressive. No story line at all. It's a good movie for anyone who only want to watch Elsa sing for 100 minutes.
90 out of 136 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Feels like a fever dream
nose_ffd_po24 November 2019
Way too many songs, none of them were catchy like let it go The water horse didn't make sense and was unexplained The secondary characters are so forgettable you probably already forgot they existed The Olaf dying scene was unnecessary, even kids knew he would come back The most memorable moment of this movie was when it ended I saw like 20 people in the cinema waking up, more than half of the cinema room fall asleep YES ITS THAT BAD.
109 out of 167 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I want to see the movie that was portrayed in the trailer...
joeygrigorian22 November 2019
As much as I hate to say this, aside from the gorgeous visuals, the plot; third act, was VERY poor. Nothing really happens. There is no threat, no villain, no obstacle...Elsa wanders off to a 'fortress of solitude' type place where she dies? or freezes? Anna sings about her grief, the song itself was great but I couldn't feel anything for her because Elsa's outcome was very ambiguous? Anna is set out to do something that could set Elsa free but....there are no consequences which was mentioned about a hundred times..."the water will destroy Arendelle..." and all of a sudden Elsa comes out of nowhere and stops the flood. It was too rushed, and the plot itself was not fulfilling, AT ALL.
244 out of 393 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointed
agirlisinspired1 December 2019
I had high hopes for this movie to be honest. I'm not the biggest fan of the first movie but that one seems like a masterpiece compared to this. What was the point of Elsa accepting her role as the Queen in the first movie if she was just going to live in a magical forest at the end? I get that they tried to give her powers a backstory but it just feels so forced and off, the worldbuilding they tried to do doesn't feel natural. It felt like there were so many things missing, there was no evil that had to be defeated, no big character arc, nothing. Everything happened so fast and then it was just over. The entire movie acts like there's gonna be this big climax that's gonna make everything worthwhile but that doesn't happen.
51 out of 75 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boring and no decent songs
KittyG2622 December 2019
The story is both complicated and dull, and there isn't one memorable song in the whole movie. Also, there is no villain; a film like this needs a character whom you are dying to see punished for their wicked deeds (in Frozen 1 it was Prince Hans). Instead, we get political correctness shoved down our throats for the best part of two hours. The animation is great, but these days that's a given. And will somebody please take that snowman!!! He was irritating in the first movie but now he's unbearable. Very disappointing.
58 out of 87 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stunning Visuals, Wonderful Songs, Hilarious and Emotional
psykosean23 November 2019
This. This was the sequel I was HOPING for. I was in tears of every variety for the majority of the film. The animation was flawless, the songs were abundant and wonderful (nothing quite as earwormy as Let It Go, though) and the laughter was non-stop.

The character growth was also a treat. I didn't expect that, especially from a character like Olaf.

All the negative reviews I see complain about it either being too dark or all over the place. It was neither. Sure, it had some darkness to it, but so does life, and like most moments in life, their is a shining bright light waiting on the other side, even if it's not the ending I would have expected.

And to those saying it was all over the place? It wasn't, if you bothered to pay attention. But most of you are adults who write off every animated feature as children's fare and don't really care to pay attention. And that is because you've lost the child inside. You've forgotten how to feel joy and excitement and embrace it like you did as a child. You confuse your contentedness with your children's happiness with actual joy and live vicariously through them than embracing what's inside of you and living your own happiness yourself. And for that, I pity you all.
222 out of 362 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Money making, significantly forgettable and boring.
dagallop28 December 2019
The first movie was memorable, this one should be lost into the trail of time, please.

I was impressed with the animators attention to detail but that isn't enough. When you pay four times as much for concessions in a movie theater than you would pay in a store for candy, I would like to feel as if the level of entertainment was higher in the theater, but frankly I feel that people watching in a supermarket would be more stimulating than this lame story.

What happened to the music? The first was truly great for the music, scores, themes and vocals, this one; "pity that didn't have a song like the first one" was a comment from someone leaving the theater. I feel the same.

Synopsis: It doesn't have an original story, it's piecemeal of all sorts of others, it doesn't have a great music score, it doesn't even have any of the humor of the first. If you are impressed by attention to detail and animators, go watch it.
45 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
By far the worst Disney sequel out!
mj-8098622 December 2019
Took my 4yr old daughter who loved the first one thinking this one would too be a great sequel. To our surprise this was utterly boring. Full of music every 5mins, no story line and simply old fashion boring. We both fell asleep wishing the nightmare would end so we could leave. Wouldn't go watch it again.
61 out of 92 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Trash and cheap movie. Dissapointed
akorobowicz29 November 2019
After I watched the first part of Frozen I was amazed, now I am disappointed.

DON"T GO!!!!!!!!
48 out of 71 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Aweful
mumeinobutufurai11 December 2019
I don't think this movie was very well thought out. It was really predictable, and the songs made me cringe.
76 out of 117 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A tasteless cash grab
owenpdjohnson30 December 2019
In a nutshell, Elsa becomes an airbender. The first 10 minutes, which are incredibly rushed, reveal far too much, leaving the audience in disappointment as to the build up. Were given our mission, and our characters.

The four main obstacles occur to about 20 minutes of the run time total, with the rest of the film being (for a lack of better description) 'nothingy.' there was a big missed opportunity for else and Anna to explore the kingdom, but instead Disney decided to make it all the same. Granted, there was a cool shipwreck and some nice features such as the bridge, but the world was rather disappointingly plain.

The final battle (although looking stunning) was nothing special. The build up and the soundtrack truly big it up too much. Not to mention the songs, so forgettable and do many of them. Whilst "let it go" was never my thing, it was catchy, and easy to sing along to. With the sequels "into the unknown" being (questionably) the main song, it's surprisingly drab.

And finally theres the cliche ending of them all living happily ever after, but with the proposal added in as another unnecessary event to make the audience scream "awh!"

There were some good things however, being the overall pleasant nature-esque aesthetic. and the animation does look brilliant as well. Even Olaf had a few comedic moments too. Other than that, it was a huge mess if a plot, with wrong priorities, an over the top story, and possibly the most disappointing movie of the year.
46 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Floundering plot
housley-972944 December 2019
Worst movie I have seen in a while, Painful to sit through a floundering story that was all over the place. Just horrible
68 out of 104 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Frozen
MR_Heraclius15 February 2020
I loved it. Was way better than the first one. I don't wana post any spoilers but omg!! Just go see it
41 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
GARBAGE!!!!
Moore_Says8 December 2019
One star for animation only. The story is so dull and the songs don't serve any purpose to move the story. Anna and Olaf are even annoying this time whilst Elsa is still the same melancholic and timid girl she was in the first. Overall, not worth my money and time! Still, one man's trash is another person's treasure; so, the kids probably love them.
44 out of 65 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.