Ghostbusters: Afterlife (2021) Poster

1,425 Reviews
member
SnoopyStyle9 January 2022
Struggling single mom Callie (Carrie Coon) inherits a ranch in Oklahoma from her estranged father. With no other options, she moves her kids, Trevor (Finn Wolfhard) and Phoebe (Mckenna Grace), to Oklahoma. Gary Grooberson (Paul Rudd) is Phoebe's new summer school teacher. She discovers some strange equipment from her unknown grandfather.

Stranger Things has taken over the Ghostbusters franchise. I'm perfectly fine with that. If that's the move, it's a smart move. This movie does that but it overlays everything with member berries. Some are necessary but some are just in your face Easter Eggs. For example, the fireman's pole down into Egon's underground lab is unreal. Anyways, it was Ray who went gaga over the original fireman's pole. It's like they're throwing everything and the kitchen sink into this. That's before the original three comes in and takes over the climax. I would rather have them incorporate themselves more naturally. When Annie Potts shows up so early, I thought it was a perfect way to make her an important side character. She could be the one connecting this new movie with the older cast. Instead, the movie dumps the big three into the climatic last fifteen minutes. The old guys may as well elbow the kids in the face and push them to the ground. Even the Ray phone call is little more than an exposition dump. Their magical pop-up appearance saps the intensity out of the kids. The new kids fighting the old ghosts could have been a good action fun climax. Instead, it's all about the three old guys getting their screen time. Paul Rudd has some irreverent fun early on but he has to disappear after he gets possessed. Mckenna Grace gets a makeover to bring out her inner Egon but Carrie Coon skips a generation for some reason. In the end, I expected lots of member berries from this movie but there has to be a better way to sprinkle them around. There is also a need to inject the old guys more naturally into the story.
13 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ghostbusters: Afterlife
Prismark109 January 2022
Ghostbusters should had led to a successful franchise. The 1984 release was a monster box office success for Columbia Pictures. A fun, goofy film.

The sequel proved to be problematic. Inflated egos of the cast and the creative team did not help. David Puttnam who was one time head of Columbia in the mid 80s vetoed a sequel as the script was not good enough.

Ghostbusters 2 released in 1989 barely scraped $100 million. Other movies such as Indiana Jones and Batman did much better at the box office.

The female led reboot in 2016 managed to upset some fans of the original. I thought it was ok but with a thin premise.

Jason Reitman, son of the original director Ivan has rebooted Ghostbusters again. This time he is too reverential to the original movie.

The first half takes a while to get going. It focuses on a single mother Callie who is behind on her rent.

After the death of her father, she moves to her late father's farm in the small town of Summerville, Oklahoma with her two kids Trevor and Phoebe. The locals thought that her dad was an eccentric.

Something spooky is going in Summerville. Phoebe's science teacher Gary Grooberson notes strange earthquakes have been happening.

Phoebe also learns that her grandfather Egon Spengler was a Ghostbuster who saved New York back in the 1980s.

Phoebe discovers her grandfather's ghostbusting equipment. Trevor finds the beaten up Ghostbusters car. Soon they are catching ghosts. The nearby mountain might be the centre of it all.

It seems Egon was convinced that something from inside the mountain would destroy the world. Now it is up to Phoebe, Trevor, Lucky and Podcast to save the world. Maybe with a little help from some old friends.

The film is fun once it gets going. It did remind me a lot of those 1980s teen friendly films. Gremlins, Goonies and Ghostbusters. However at times it felt too much like a carbon copy of the original.

It should had been more goofier and less reverential. It was good to see the old guys show up in the final scenes. The CGI Harold Ramis was very good. In fact he looked better than Bill Murray who looked more like a ghost.
20 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dirt Farmer
nogodnomasters13 December 2021
The film takes place in Summerville, Oklahoma where Spangler ended up to prevent the apocalypse. The film is dedicated to Harold Ramis who passed in 2014 and again in the opening scene. His daughter (Carrie Coon) and family end up at his old farmhouse where they discover their legacy and learn to fight Gozer again.

The ghosts have not changed from the first feature. There are appearances from the original cast. Sigourney Weaver is listed in the IMDB credits, but I don't recall seeing her. Mckenna Grace as twelve year old Phoebe stole the whole film. It centered on her and kids saving the world with some help from the original Ghostbusters: Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Ernie Hudson, and Annie Potts.

The iconic song didn't come in until the end credits. Not what I expected.

Guide: No swearing, sex, or nudity.
36 out of 149 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Surprisingly good.
Sleepin_Dragon21 November 2021
I'll be honest, after the last Ghostbusters movie, I wasn't keen on it, reluctantly I went along, and have to admit, I thoroughly enjoyed it. It feels like a worthy successor to the original film, it doesn't just ignore the past, it supports it. I would advise seeing the original movie ahead of this, as there is a lot of nostalgia surrounding it. I feel like they wanted it to respect the original, that it does.

Some really nice special effects, a few perhaps not so good, but that's just me being picky. A good atmosphere, and a really good pace, there's nothing slow about the film, it doesn't lull, nor did it feel overlong. It's a bit goofy, it doesn't take itself too seriously.

Great to see Dan Ackroyd, Bill Murray, and many other faces, if you're a fan of the original, you really will appreciate seeing them all here. Paul Rudd was awesome I thought, he stood out for me.
309 out of 409 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ghostbusters the next Generation
kosmasp23 November 2021
I have to admit I had certain expectations and thought about seeing certain people/characters in this. Let's say if I was just rating the movie based on that, I probably would have rated it lower. I also missed out on the opportunity to rewatch the first two movies. But I don't think it would have mattered that much. Even a female character that had a small cameo in here, I sort of remembered her (small) part in the original movies.

That being said this adds a few cool people - namely Paul Rudd and the kids. Especially the daughter and the kid who befriends her (Podcast) are a great team together. Really funny and with great respect to the movies that came before it. Maybe minus the one with the all female cast. Now I personally liked that too - if you didn't enjoy that fair enough, can't compare those two anyway.

So much weirdness and comedy that works here, because of the script and because of the actors. And yes many flashbacks still - that even if you don't have the movies fresh in your memory work wonders. Also stay through the credits - one mid credits scene and one after credit scene.
150 out of 242 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ghostbusters: Afterlife
jboothmillard1 December 2021
The original movie was a big hit, it naturally spawned a sequel and two cartoon TV shows, then the franchise went off the rails with the all-female reboot, I was hoping that this follow-up (ignoring the all-female film storyline) would get things back on track, directed by Jason Reitman (Juno, Up in the Air, Labor Day) (son of original director Ivan Reitman). Basically, thirty-two years have passed since the Ghostbusters last saved New York City, they have since disbanded after a decline in supernatural activities. In Summerville, Oklahoma, there is a mining operation formerly run by Ivo Shandor, leader of a Gozer-worshipping cult. Egon Spengler (Harold Ramis) has relocated in the hope of capturing a bestial entity from one of the mines, but the trap fails, and Egon suffers a fatal heart attack struggling with another entity. Following Egon's death, his estranged daughter Callie (Carrie Coon) and her two children Trevor (Stranger Things' Finn Wolfhard) and Phoebe (Mckenna Grace) are evicted from their city apartment and move to Egon's farm, which he has left to Callie. Phoebe goes to a local middle school and is enrolled in a summer science class. Phoebe's mentor is eccentric seismologist Gary Grooberson (Paul Rudd), who later starts dating Callie. Trevor is entranced with a local girl, Lucky Domingo (Celeste O'Connor), and manages to get a job at the diner she works. Phoebe discovers the house is haunted and finds a Psychokinetic Energy meter under Egon's chair. An unseen ghost leads her to the hidden ghost trap, while Trevor finds and repairs the dilapidated Ecto-1 vehicle. Lucky takes Trevor to an old mine shaft with her friends, where they encounter a glowing apparition. Phoebe makes friends with paranormal believer Podcast (Logan Kim) and shows him the ghost trap. Gary recognises the trap and reveals himself to be a fan of the Ghostbusters. He has been conducting his own investigation on Summerville, which experiences strange consistent unexplained earthquakes. Gary, Phoebe, and Podcast tamper with the ghost trap, and the bestial entity, revealed to be a minion of Gozer, escapes into Shandor's mine. The ghost leads Phoebe to an underground lair where Egon kept his equipment. Phoebe realises the ghost is her grandfather, she restores the Ghostbusters' proton packs under his direction. She and Podcast encounter a gluttonous metal-eating ghost, Muncher (voiced by Josh Gad), and chase after it. Reuniting with Trevor, Phoebe informs him that they are descendants of a Ghostbuster, and they and Podcast chase the ghost in the Ecto-1. Although they successfully capture the ghost, the police arrest them for property damage, and confiscate the car and the gear. Phoebe calls the Ghostbusters' number and speaks to Raymond "Ray" Stantz (Dan Aykroyd). Ray explains that Egon's teammates doubted his belief in the coming apocalypse, so he stole the car and gear moved to Summerville. Phoebe mentions that she is Egon's granddaughter before being forced to hang up. Trevor, Phoebe, Lucky, and Podcast find a temple dedicated to Gozer inside the mine. They also find Ivo Shandor's preserved body (J. K. Simmons), and a device Egon built to contain Gozer's forces with crossed proton streams, the escape attempts are what cause the earthquakes. Gary and Callie are possessed by Gozer's minions Vinz Clortho the Keymaster and Zuul the Gatekeeper, respectively, and go to Shandor's mine. The possessed Gary destroys the device's neutrona wands, allowing Gozer (voiced by Olivia Wilde) to manifest and Shandor to awaken. The kids discover Egon's plan to trap Gozer and, donning the Ghostbusters jumpsuits, they retrieve the confiscated car and gear. After defeating Zuul and freeing Callie, they flee the mine to Egon's farm, where a giant trap is ready to capture Gozer. But the trap malfunctions and possessed Mini-Puft marshmallow monsters sabotage the equipment, allowing Gozer to free Zuul, and Zuul possess Lucky. Ray arrives with Peter Venkman (Bill Murray) and Winston Zeddemore (Ernie Hudson) to aid the team, but Gozer overpowers them by countering the Ghostbusters' tactics. Phoebe battles Gozer herself, and Egon's ghost materialises beside his granddaughter to help. Phoebe and the Ghostbusters restrain Gozer while Podcast fixes the trap, Trevor charges and triggers it with a stream from his proton pack, capturing Gozer and its minions, and freeing Lucky, Callie and Gary. Egon reconciles with his family and friends before vanishing into the afterlife. After getting acquainted with the group, the surviving original Ghostbusters return to New York City with the Ecto-1 and equipment. Venkman and Dana Barrett (Sigourney Weaver) play with Venkman's extrasensory perception cards and shock machine, while Winston, now a wealthy family man, uses his resources to maintain the Ghostbusters' properties. At the Ghostbusters' fire station ecto-containment unit, a warning light blinks. Also starring Annie Potts as Janine Melnitz, Bokeem Woodbine as Sheriff Domingo, Marlon Kazadi as Thickneck, Sydney Mae Diaz as Swayze, Tracy Letts as Jack, Bob Gunton as The Ghost Farmer, and Stella Aykroyd (Dan's daughter) as Deputy Medjuck. Grace is really likeable as the bespectacled leader of the youngsters, Kim as the geeky podcaster steals many scenes, Coon adds the grit when it's needed, and there is a welcome return from Murray and all past cast members, even the sadly departed Ramis comes back in spirit (literally). You could argue that this sequel is just an excuse to throw in as much nostalgia from the original as possible, including the marshmallow men (as mini minions) and the iconic Ray Parker Jr. Theme song, and add a Stranger Things vibe, but I personally found it a breath of fresh air, especially compared to the disliked female reboot. The adventure style story works well, it makes you laugh with its witty script and moments of slapstick, there are some genuinely eerie ghostly moments, great special effects, and it has touching moments, especially the tribute to Harold Ramis, an enjoyable supernatural comedy. Very good!
35 out of 91 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good, wholesome fun...
paul_haakonsen4 January 2022
I have to admit that I had been looking forward to getting to watch the 2021 "Ghostbusters: Afterlife". Of course I did, because I loved the original two 1984 and 1989 "Ghostbusters" movies. And the 2016 attempt? Well, we don't talk about that one.

It definitely was fun to see what writers Gil Kenan and Jason Reitman had in store for us with this 2021 continuation of the franchise. And I will say that while "Ghostbusters: Afterlife" certainly was entertaining and enjoyable, I somehow feel like I had a bucket of water thrown in my face, as the story was just way too much of a clone of the original 1984 "Ghostbusters" movie. So yeah, I felt somewhat cheated here.

Sure, "Ghostbusters: Afterlife" is watchable and enjoyable, no doubt about it. And it certainly is a great movie for newcomers to the genre, but re-using so much material from the original movie just felt like super lazy writing to me, and it didn't really sit well with my liking.

Visually then "Ghostbusters: Afterlife" was astounding. The special effects were great and very realistic. I just wish that we had gotten to see more spooks and ghosts. But it was great to see those terror dogs, and boy were they rendered well in "Ghostbusters: Afterlife". I was really enjoying the CGI and special effects in this 2021 movie, and they added so much life - pardon the pun - to the movie.

"Ghostbusters: Afterlife" had a good cast ensemble. Sure, it was nice to see new faces don the mantle and uniforms of the Ghostbusters, but they were no match for the original four. And yeah, it most certainly was nice to have Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Ernie Hudson, Annie Potts and Sigourney Weaver return to reprise their roles.

This was definitely an entertaining movie for the entire family, despite of the storyline borrowing heavily from the original movie - to the point of it being thievery. It was a good enough storyline and definitely was a fast-paced action ride.

My rating of "Ghostbusters: Afterlife" lands on a six out of ten stars.
21 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What it feels like to be nine years old again!
Coventry2 December 2021
About ten months before the release of "Ghostbusters: Afterlife", and without any knowledge whatsoever that a belated sequel was in production, I re-watched the 1984 original for the first time in 25 years, and together with own kids (aged six and ten). Needless to say, my offspring wasn't the least bit impressed with special effects from the early eighties, and to be totally honest, I found that my childhood favorite had badly dated as well.

My biggest regret was that I couldn't pass on that magical feeling of "discovering" the world of horror, monsters, F/X, and ectoplasm! But when we saw publicity for the brand new "Ghostbusters: Afterlife" on television, it were my children who spontaneously asked if we could go and see it on the big screen. So, yes, with a slight delay they experienced how I felt when I saw "Ghostbusters" for the first time. And I felt 9 years old again, myself.

Undoubtedly the best thing that could have happened to the franchise, especially after the flopped 2016-remake, was a return to the roots. The story links straight back to the original, the beloved protagonists show up (albeit briefly) and the co-writer/director is none other than the son of Ivan Reitman; - Jason. "Afterlife" is chock-full of gimmicks references towards the original, varying from subtle to plain obvious. The young cast members are refreshing, and fit wonderfully well in the "Ghostbusters" universe, but it feels even better to reconnect with the old-fashioned familiar trumps, like the legendary Ghostbusters-vehicle and - of course - the Ray Parker Jr. Theme song. The homage to Harold Ramis, one of the creators of the original concept and the only cast member who passed away, is beautiful.
193 out of 256 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Marginally exciting
Gordon-114 January 2022
I thought this Ghostbusters film is quite boring. There's no suspense or thrill. Marginally exciting moments happen almost at the end of the film. The characters are not interesting either.
54 out of 175 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good cast but too little story.
CinemaSerf23 November 2021
"Callie" (Carrie Coon) is a bit short of cash, so must retreat to her late father's dilapidated pile with her son "Trevor" (Finn Wolfhard) and geeky daughter "Phoebe" (Mckenna Grace). When the young girl discovers that she has a chess partner that she cannot see, then a "ghost trap" under their frequently shaking old house, she and her brother - alongside her seismologist teacher "Gary Grooberson" (Paul Rudd) are soon doing what it says on the tin. It takes for ever to get going, this film - far too much time is spent on character development and by the time it actually gets up to speed I was just a little bit bored. It is redeemed by the last ten minutes, to a certain extent, but I could have been doing with a bit more of Rudd's character - and quite a few more ghosts to bust. It looks ok, the effects are fine - there is just a paucity of them - and the two youngsters work well together with a decent (if wordy) script that has some amusing scientist jokes.
74 out of 152 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worthy successor
Calicodreamin20 November 2021
This reboot of sorts did it all right in terms of being respectful to the original, maintaining a plausible storyline, and having awesome cameos. The story was a bit slow to develop but had some cool moments and a lot of small laughs. All of this proudly sponsored by Walmart.
136 out of 210 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Original Ghostbusters are Back!
zardoz-139 December 2021
Not only does the "Ghostbusters" sequel reboot "Ghostbusters Afterlife" (*** out of ****) recapture the whimsical hilarity of the original movies, but it also amounts to a family affair. Jason Reitman, who co-wrote and directed "Ghostbusters Afterlife," is Ivan Reitman's son, and Ivan directed the two Bill Murray "Ghostbusters" movies. Furthermore, Ivan also served as a producer on the reboot. Apart from Harold Ramis, who died at age 69 in 2014, and Rick Moranis (alive but retired), everybody else reprises their original roles. Despite quibbles, "Ghostbusters Afterlife" is more faithful to the franchise than the previous, uninspired, gender-flipped "Ghostbusters" (2016). Jason Reitman has kept the family legacy intact with "Ghostbusters Afterlife." Anybody who enjoyed the supernatural shenanigans of the first (though not necessarily the second) "Ghostbusters" should relish this reboot. Reitman and co-scenarist Gil Kenan provide airtight continuity between "Ghostbusters 2" (1989) and "Ghostbusters Afterlife." A refreshing, young, first-rate cast, lighthearted CGI visual effects, and polished production values distinguish this 124-minute, PG-13 rated franchise update. The Reitmans have shown good taste in their reverential treatment of the Harold Ramis character. Appropriately, they portray Dr. Egon Spengler as an apparition now rather than an actual person. Don't rush for the exits when the end credits roll or you'll miss deleted footage of Harold Ramis from the 1984 "Ghostbusters." One of the delights of "Ghostbusters Afterlife" is neither Kenan nor Reitman have tampered with the backstory of the franchise.

Predictably, though it boils down to "Ghostbusters: The Next Generation," Reitman's "Afterlife" focuses on Dr. Egon Spengler's family. Unfortunately, Kenan and Reitman crank up their reboot with Egon's demise. During an explosive opening gambit, Egon meets his monstrous match in a humongous phantom that has been hibernating in a nearby defunct mining cavern. Later, we learn Egon abandoned his colleagues, Dr. Peter Venkman (Bill Murray of "Stripes"), Dr. Raymond Stantz (Dan Ackroyd of "Doctor Detroit"), and Winston Zeddemore (Ernie Hudson of "Machete Joe") after their 'ghostbusting' business went belly up. Vanishing into the sprawling eternity of Oklahoma, Egon bought a secluded house in Summerville and prepared for a showdown with Gozer. Worshiped as a deity by ancient civilizations, Gozer was the Ghostbusters' prime adversary. Egon not only absconded with their iconic Cadillac ambulance Ecto-1, but he also took their equipment, including the Proton Blaster Packs, P. K. E. Meter, and the ghost Traps. Now, holed up in a dilapidated white farm, in the middle of nowhere, Egon has wired up his entire property so it resembles a backyard version of Dr. Frankenstein's laboratory. The tragedy of Egon's death is mitigated somewhat by the deafening fireworks during this encounter. "Black Hawk Down" Supervising Sound Editor Perry Robertson also provides nerve-racking jump scares when our protagonists wield the Proton Blasters. During the grand finale, when the original cast seals the continuity gap with "Afterlife," you'll know Jason Reitman got it right. Meantime, the amusing miniature-sized Marshmallow Men in their cute sailor suits are back creating pandemonium, too.

Dr. Spengler's daughter Callie (Carrie Coon of "Avengers: Infinity War") is a single mom with two kids. She has an unruly 16-year-old son Trevor (Finn Wofthard of "The Gold Finch") and a precocious, 12-year-old daughter Phoebe (Mckenna Grace of "Malignant"), and they are all about to be evicted from their apartment for late rent. Conveniently, Egon dies, and Callie inherits his Summerville farmhouse. Naturally, Callie hopes the sell the place. Once she arrives in Summerville and beholds the property, she resigns herself to staying until she can dig herself out of debt. Callie enrolls Phoebe in summer school and meets Phoebe's teacher, Gary Grooberson (Paul Rudd of the "Ant-man" movies), who runs a relaxed, laid-back class. Grooberson shows his students old horror movies like "Cujo" (1983), while he ponders a mysterious outbreak of earthquakes in the general vicinity. Phoebe impresses him with her knowledge of geology. Phoebe is the spitting image of Egon. She wears his nerdy spectacles and has his curly hair. Predictably, Grooberson and Callie hit it off while the kids explore the farmhouse. Phoebe finds Egon's P. K. E. Meter beneath a chair. Later, she rummages through Egon's secret basement laboratory, while Trevor discovers the Cadillac ambulance Ecto-1 parked under wraps in the barn. The automotive genius of the family, Trevor gets the Ecto-1 running in no time. Phoebe and her summer school pal Podcast (newcomer Logan Kim) take a Proton Blaster out for field trials. In the film's first, slam-bang sequence, Phoebe and Podcast accompany Trevor on a joyride in the Ecto-1. Phoebe sits in a seat that slides sideways out of the right rear passenger door. When they cruise into town, they spot a ghost named Muncher chewing up a fire hydrant. Basically, the kids destroy parts of Summerville in their efforts to capture Muncher. Imagine Callie's alarm when the police notify her about her children's antics. Waiting for Callie to bail them out of jail, Phoebe uses her one phone call to chat with Dr. Raymond Stantz. Little does Phoebe realize her father's colleagues are bound to descend on Summerville.

Incredibly enough, "Ghostbusters Afterlife" would have qualified as a good movie whether Bill Murray, Dan Ackroyd, and Ernie Hudson had reprised their roles. After Callie and her kids move into Egon's old quarters, the film adopts a "Goonies" (1985) vibe. Basically, Phoebe, Podcast, and Trevor behave like "The Goonies." As Phoebe, Mckenna Grace steals the show with her charismatic performance. Although Slimer is on hiatus, the CGI ghosts are every bit as outlandish as they were in the classic "Ghostbusters" movies. Olivia Wilde appears in an uncredited cameo as the evil Gozer. Sigourney Weaver and Annie Potts have cameos, too. A goofy séance of sorts, "Ghostbusters Afterlife" gives this supernatural franchise a new lease on life.
54 out of 100 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Reitman's valentine to the original comedy horror classic will make you feelin' good.
george.schmidt22 November 2021
GHOSTBUSTERS: AFTERLIFE (2021) *** Carrie Coon, Paul Rudd, Finn Wolfhard, Mckenna Grace, Logan Kim, Celeste O' Connor, Bill Murray, Dany Aykroyd, Ernie Hudson, Annie Potts, Sigourney Weaver, JK Simmons, Olivia Wilde. (voices of : Josh Gad & Shohreh Aghdashloo). Filmmaker Jason Reitman, son of executive producer and director of the original comedy horror classic, returns the franchise true to form in this valentine to the team of paranormal exterminators with the Spengler family retiring to their estranged paterfamilias Egon (the late, great Harold Ramis) where his granddaughter (Grace, in a winning and often uncanny turn as the famed comedian) discovers her grandfather's plans to stop the return of Gozer the Gozarian to return for another shot at destroying the world, while in the process of uniting her family in their new Mid-west environs. Reitman, who co-wrote with Gil Kenan the chock block of Easter eggs screenplay that wisely incorporates its source material with its new cast (the weight of the legacy rests well on the slender yet able shoulders of Grace, the heart of the film). Fun mix of visuals and much welcomed extended cameos make for a heckuva night at the cineplex.
99 out of 162 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Grooberson: Yeah, I know how many sides are on a triangle. Phoebe: I know, I just thought you were being obtuse. Grooberson: Was that a geometry joke? Phoebe: Yes.
bombersflyup9 January 2022
Ghostbusters Afterlife is a bit of a nostalgic rehash with kids, lacking in story, but enjoyable enough.

Certainly not necessary and unlikely to pass muster on its own. The young kids aren't the slightest bit believable, but they're likeable. Rudd and Coon are solid as well. The many little Stay Puft Marshmellow's humorous.
12 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great fun
neil-47624 November 2021
Single mother Callie and kids Trevor, 15, and Phoebe, 12 are evicted just as Callie's estranged Dad dies and leaves them his place, a creepy gothic homestead in an Oklahoma backwater. Trevor gets a job at the local diner, where he can make moon eyes at cute and friendly local waitress Lucky. And scientist prodigy Phoebe connects with teacher and amateur seismologist Gary, keenly researching the inexplicable local earthquakes. She also becomes friendly with Podcast, a kid who makes podcasts about inexplicable scientific phenomena and constantly talks in 3rd party linking sequences. Phoebe discovers a lab in the basement where her grandfather worked. And she discovers that her grandfather was Egon Spengler...

I liked the all-female Ghostbusters of several years ago, but that has been put to one side: this movie is effectively Ghostbusters 3 because it follows on in a number of ways from the original movies. The trailer shows us Dan Aykroyd reprising Ray Stantz and Paul Rudd as teacher Gary.

But I'm pleased to say that the kids, and in particular Mackenna Grace's Phoebe, carry this film. The story is good, the cast are fine, the script is good fun with some lovely lines, the callbacks are effective, and the film has heart. There has been criticism that the film overdoes its fan service, but I felt this was integrated well into the story (contrast Solo, for instance).
63 out of 111 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dirt Farmer grandkids
ferguson-618 November 2021
Greetings again from the darkness. There is a reason musical acts like The Eagles, Jimmy Buffet, and The Rolling Stones continue to pack arenas. We love our nostalgia and prefer it familiar and easily recognizable. The fans don't show up to hear the new songs, but rather those 'oldies-but-goodies' that bring back pleasant memories. Writer-director Jason Reitman and co-writer Gil Kenan fully understand this psychology as they deliver what amounts to a sequel of the original GHOSTBUSTERS movie released 37 years ago (and directed by Reitman's father Ivan).

The hook in this updated version is that Callie (Carrie Coon), the adult daughter of original Ghostbuster Egon Spengler (originally portrayed by the late Harold Ramis), has been evicted from her apartment. She packs up the car and her two kids, and heads to the dilapidated farm house she inherited from the father she never knew. Callie has lived her life bitter and hurt that her father never reached out, choosing instead to isolate himself in Summerville in the "middle of nowhere". Her kids are Trevor (Finn Wolfhard), an awkward teenager, and Phoebe (a stellar McKenna Grace), a science whiz who seems to be a near-clone of the grandfather she never met.

As they adjust to a new life, Trevor swoons over local girl Lucky (Celeste O'Connor), while Phoebe befriends another outcast self-named Podcast (Logan Kim), and Callie gets closer to Gary Grooberson (Paul Rudd), a Seismologist "teaching" summer school with help from some age-inappropriate movies on VHS. As great as Coon and Rudd are (and both are great), the real fun comes from the youngsters exploring grandfather's workshop and the mysterious mountain at the edge of town, which is actually a long ago abandoned mine run by the town's founder.

Supporting actors include Bokeem Woodbine, JK Simmons, and Tracy Letts. Many of the elements will seem familiar as the kids begin to uncover the ghostly creatures unlocked thanks to Grandpa Egon's research and tools. As with the original, busting the ghosts is fun, but it's the one-liners and crackling dialogue that make this a joyous ride from beginning to end. A battered Ectomobile (Ecto-1) plays a key role, as do ghost traps, crossing streams, and a new generation of Stay-Puft Marshmallows.

Jason Reitman is a two-time Oscar nominee for UP IN THE AIR (2009) and JUNO (2007), but it seems clear his mission here was to provide a fitting tribute to the original film, his father, and the late Harold Ramis. He's assisted along the way with some special effects and even more special appearances, though the missing Rick Moranis is notable (and expected). The original blockbuster spawned sequels, re-boots, toys, an animated series, video games, documentaries, and now ... another sequel (one that mostly disregards everything but the original). There is a Spielberg feel as the scene is small town instead of NYC, and perhaps with this family-friendly focus on the kids, the best comparison might be THE GOONIES. It's nostalgic, yet new and fresh, and we do get a look at Hook and Ladder #8, and the familiar tune of Ray Parker Jr's iconic theme song. Hang on for the mid-credit and post-credit scenes, and just remember to take this for what it is ... a rollicking good time.

Opening in theaters on November 19, 2021.
60 out of 112 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A worthy sequel, less nostalgia than expected, but built on the shoulders of 80's films
siderite13 January 2022
I expected a nostalgia filled fest, like most recent reboots, which would have been bad. And while there was some nostalgia (wouldn't do without it) they kept it to a decent level, which was great. I feel they used every trick in the 80s movie book to create a worthy, yet formulaic sequel.

So you get the single mom moving in a country house trope, her trying to do well for her kids while completely ignoring their aspirations and experiences. You get the old gadgets still working after 40 years. You get the quirky but cool and kind dude who wants to bang your mom. You get the young kids who discover a world of wonder and have to navigate it to defeat evil while not involving adults in any way. You get young adolescent love and the quirky but cool and kind child friend. You get the old crew goodbyes passing the torch. You get the old film tune at the end of this film. You get a kid from Stranger Things, which by now feels like a permanent 80s trope even when it isn't.

Unfortunately, this is pretty much all you get. A mish-mash of 80s clichés that feel rushed, yet you don't mind because you are intimately familiar with them. It's like an old shoe that just fits. The only moment when I felt this was a modern film was when I had to skip to the both post credits scenes after the original Ghostbusters theme had ended and was followed by one of these new songs with angsty teen girls meowling something like its very profound. So I wish they would have worked harder at characterization and not relied on the old method of having every character be an cardboard archetype. And while I enjoyed the film, it was popcorn enjoyment, devoid of anything that felt profound or instructional.

Yet, while the film is not bringing anything that felt new, it was very necessary to wash the bad taste of the gender swapped 2016 film and bring the franchise back to where it was when that abomination did not exist. I hope the next installments will change things a little bit and bring Ghostbusters into the 21st century.
3 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nostalgic, comic sequel to a great classic. Have fun in a theater.
jdesando21 November 2021
Just because I was alive for the original 1984 Ghostbusters doesn't mean you young'uns won't enjoy it as much as I do. Ghostbusters: Afterlife is an entertainment for the entire family: It has scary ghosts, nerdy kids, young teen romance, adult romance, and nostalgic special effects as well as equipment like a tricked-out Ectomobile, a portable nuclear particle accelerator, and a ghost trap, to name only a few to delight kids and adults, who may fondly remember analog.

Phoebe (Mckenna Grace) as the science-friendly 12-year-old and her siblings, grandkids of an original Ghostbuster, move to a remote Oklahoma farm, the dilapidated "Dirt" estate. They encounter ghosts, as to be expected because gramps didn't quite finish the ghost-busting job from '84.

The ghosts are a bit goofy (more like out-of-control dogs and marshmallows), and the stakes may not be earth-shattering, but the fun they have trying to capture the critters is a high-spirited chase coupled with a subtle lesson about the importance of family, legacy, and cooperation. The relevance of this classic-based tale is in the notion that working together is an answer to beating back intruders (COVID, anyone?).

Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Ernie Hudson, Sigourney Weaver, and Harold Ramis appear (appropriately Ramis as ghost since he has left us in death to write about them somewhere), not enough but just enough to link the past to the present. This fourth iteration, and certainly the best of the sequels, will make you chuckle, maybe cry a little, scare you a tad, but never bore you.

As adult romancers, Mr. Grooberson (Paul Rudd) and Callie (Carrie Coon) are charming and clueless enough for us to beg for more time with them. Finn Wolfhard (star of Stranger Things) as brother Trevor (just enough of Timothee Chalamet in his look) and the gifted comic kid, Logan Kim, as Podcast will make teens, and us all, quite happy with their shenanigans.

A sweet comic atmosphere prevails over this successful sequel. I hope it's enough to get you back to the theater where hosts serve up comfy seats, knockout sound, and fantasy relief from the pandemic.
52 out of 92 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not the 84 original still a sentimental and new era tribute!
blanbrn22 November 2021
Finally watched "Ghostbusters: Afterlife" and I must say it was a decent follow up with some charming and sentimental scenes that brought back memories of old ghosts. As the film centers around and has a connection of the grandson of a past "Ghostbuster" and a spooky abandoned farm house left by him. And again ghost are on the prowl and move in on this new era and help and assistance is given from old legends in the end as Murray, Dan, and Ernie make an appearance to fight the evil spirits. And most liked and memorable was the cute and sweet scenes of the little baby marshmallow men who come to life with smores at Wal-Mart in front of Paul Rudd's teacher character I thought that was so sentimental, and had an original legacy feel and a tribute to the classic 84 "Stay Puft Marshmallow Man"! I loved the mini pufts! Overall this picture is nothing great still it entertained and was interesting with the ghost subject all while the new era characters had past connections to the classic and original "Ghostbusters".
28 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Altered State
thesar-221 November 2021
Going in, I had zero expectations and I *knew* it had to be better than 2016's Ghostbusters. It merely had to exist to be better than that last tragedy 5 years ago.

But, here's the thing: It's barely better than the 2016 atrocity. At least Paul Feig tried to make that movie a comedy. This was absolutely NO comedy.

And that's the biggest thing missing here and what made this a far distant entry in the nearly-40-year-old series: jokes. Sure, our lead, Egon's granddaughter, spews decades-old one-liners (which admittedly, were funny) throughout, but that's the extend of 90% of the humor. Naturally, Paul Rudd fills in the remaining 10% with a running 80s horror gag.

But, the 1st comedic masterpiece and 1989's comedic follow-up were COMEDIES. Not horror, sci-fi, supernatural...straight up comedies. This 2021 too-late (official) third entry was a drama chock-full of forced nostalgia and repeated scenes from the original. Not only did this make me sad, but it left me feeling underwhelmed and unsatisfied.

Worst Mother of the Year is all-but completely nonchalant about getting evicted and had her estranged father not just died and left her a DIRT house in the middle of Nowhere, OK, her kids would be homeless. But, lucky for them, they all get to move reluctantly into Small Town USA. Unlucky for them, a repeat of the original 1984's events are right under their feet.

There's more to it, like the relationship, or lack thereof, between the terrible mother's father, former Ghostbuster Egon and his daughter/friends and a budding romance between the granddaughter and an eccentric kid who calls himself "Podcast." And their relationship, the young blossoming romance, was surprisingly the best part of this movie. The two kids were so cute together and had great chemistry.

But, that's also part of the problem. This movie felt like a TV/Streaming episode, like from Stranger Things and overall, incomplete and rushed. As if they were either running out of time, low on budget or both and they just released the first draft. I shouldn't have gone away loving most about a Ghostbusters film: a story of two kids' first love. It should have been about the comedy and the feeling of nostalgia that wasn't forced like it's been for the past decade.

Oh, well, again, it's waaaay better than Ghostbusters (2016,) but like Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, this fourth entry is making me love Ghostbusters II all the more.

***

Final Thoughts: Recommended for fans of the original. Brand new viewers need to watch the original 2 first, please. Don't watch this and think this was a genuine Ghostbusters movie. This is a love letter, not a sequel.
146 out of 438 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
pretty good
FeastMode19 November 2021
Generally well-made movie. Much higher quality than the 2016 comedy version, and a lot more serious, with jokes that feel organic. I was entertained and invested. The two kid actors were the best part of this movie. I don't consider myself a Ghostbusters fan, but I had a good time overall (1 viewing, opening night 11/18/2021)
49 out of 124 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's like fan fiction, but good fan fiction.
cricketbat23 November 2021
Ghostbusters: Afterlife feels like it was written by a kid who was a fan of the original movie, imagining what it would be like to be a Ghostbuster. It's obvious the creators of this sequel love the first films. It hits all the right notes of nostalgia, so even when it hits a wrong key with a plot point or a joke, you don't really mind because the overall melody is pleasant. It's like fan fiction, but good fan fiction.
36 out of 71 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Oddly good
ericstevenson29 November 2021
The original film was known for being a classic comedy, but this really wasn't that much of a comedy. It seemed to take itself more seriously than the other "Ghostbusters" movies. This movie features the grandchildren of Egon (Harold Reamis) from the first movie finding out who he was in a town in Oklahoma. The movie really works as being particularly heartwarming in the very end. I'm not gonna lie when I say it could have been shorter. It also didn't quite have good pacing.

It was really funny to see a bunch of tiny Stay-Puft Marshmellows appear as enemies instead of a giant one. Again, this reminds me of "Gremlins" as many movies do. We get some really colorful visuals and exciting scenes. It may lag on, but trust me when I say it's worth your time to watch it to the very end. Nothing can beat the original. While the previous film was "Ghostbusters with Women" this was more like "Ghostbusters with Teenagers"...and it works better. ***
36 out of 73 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Finally a Dynasty with a Dividend
A_Different_Drummer30 December 2021
You either love or hate Hollywood dynasties. Most people hate them. Aside from the top heavy egos, the final product is never worth the effort. (Will Smith and his son come to mind, the Eastwood clan another example). Here finally is the payoff. A young auteur who produces as if he has been in the business for decades. This film out-punches Stranger Things on all levels, the dialog is so sharp and subtle you almost miss the best parts, and even the transitions from scene to scene are flawless. Like the characters themselves -- a nice friendly and fun way to spend 2 hours.
23 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not Bad . . .
jack_o_hasanov_imdb8 December 2021
It was not bad. It was fun to watch the movie in the cinema. It was a little slow, but it wasn't a problem for me. So nostalgic. The references to old movies were also great.
6 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.