The House (2017) Poster

(I) (2017)

This is very bad!
rodrig584 July 2017
Will Ferrell is a good actor, he has his own specific original comic charm. But nothing of that can save this film from the disaster. It's so bad that probably you'll leave the cinema hating all those who made the film and there are real chances that you'll never want to see Will Ferrell again, in another movie, with this one he lost a lot of his audience. Amy Poehler probably thinks she's funny, but she's just the opposite, she's just annoying. All the other actors, including Jason Mantzoukas, Ryan Simpkins, Nick Kroll, Allison Tolman, Rob Huebel, are really frustrating. These people don't know at all what entertainment means! Ridiculous!
62 out of 93 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Terrible, Awful Film...and I am a Will Farrell fan!
TheTruthDoor2 July 2017
Don't believe the positive reviews about "The House", they are bought and paid for reviews.

The House is a god awful, terrible film. It has absolutely nothing going for it. The acting is bad, the plot is terrible.

Nobody laughed during the entire film....nobody.

I am a Will Ferrell fan and I like Amy Poehler, I like them both but I just cannot lie to you about this film.

It is so bad that it may ruin both of their acting careers.....it is that bad.

Whew....it stinks.
92 out of 144 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Truly 'A'wful
jase-365 July 2017
I went in to the cinema expecting to be entertained with a funny and entertaining film. Oh how I was let down. The acting if just plain bad. The humour is almost non-existent, and when there is some, it is dragged out until it is no longer funny. Almost from the beginning I was tempted to walk out of the cinema, but I was hoping that the film would pick up - I wasted the 80 plus minutes of my life.

I do not know when I will be able to risk watching another film with either of the lead (I should use the term 'Actors' here, but I felt that there was nothing that could be referred to as acting in the film from them). Avoid, and save some of your life.
53 out of 85 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A poorly edited unfunny mess that loses Will Ferrell his loyal fans
This is easily the worst comedy i've seen this year. Almost every aspect possible is poorly executed. Story, Characters, Editing, Directing, Humor, Soundtrack, ETC. I went in with an open mind thinking that i could find this film somewhat entertaining, but i didn't even crack a smile. I sat through 90 minutes of absolute pain and misery.

Will Ferrells films as of late have been garbage, ranging from the absolutely forgettable and bland Get Hard, to the Cliché and obnoxious Daddys Home. After this film, i've officially given up on his films, and it seems that many other Will Ferrell fans have as well. His performance in this film consists of him overacting at seemingly random points, and gets old really fast, but at least he was trying in this film. The rest of the cast were absolute crap. Amy Poehler, Jason Mantzoukas, Nick Kroll, Rob Huebel, and especially Ryan Simpkins, were terrible in this movie, just like the characters they portray. All of the characters are bland clichés and stereotypes that have nothing funny, unique, or interesting about them.

This film is quite possibly the longest 90 minutes i have ever sat through. I literally felt like i was in the theater for hours, only to realize that i had another half hour to go. The pacing is so slow and tedious, there's too much filler and a load of subplots that don't go anywhere (such as the daughter doing drugs), and despite being a film about a home casino, there's barley any fun gambling scenes in the film. There's only one near the beginning (but because of the dreadful pacing i thought it was at the halfway point) but its so poorly shot, rushed, and has an agonizing slow motion effect shoehorned into it.

Speaking of which, this has got to be some of the worst editing I have ever seen in a film. Some scenes are so quick and pointless purely because of the way they are edited. there's this one scene where the casino runs a pool party during the day (even though the casino is supposed to be secret), but there's no jokes, no exposition, no fun to be had in the scene, and it ends on a terribly rushed edit. There's also poorly choreographed fight scenes that have horrible shots, badly placed slow-mo, horrible fake blood, and there isn't even any fun music to make these scenes more entertaining. Its pretty pathetic when the trailer has better editing and soundtrack than the actual movie.

Overall, The House is a terrible summer film that only succeeds in Losing Will Ferrell his fans, and because his next film is Daddys Home 2, it doesn't look like he's going to be winning them back anytime soon.
32 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Worst movie I've seen in a long time
davidandmollybaker30 June 2017
My son and I left the movie thinking we were angry we wasted our money! I didn't laugh once in the movie! I think it's the worst movie I've seen in a VERY long time!! So disappointing! Not a single person in the theatre laughed once! I'm not in a hurry to see a movie with Will Ferrell or Amy Poehler anytime soon!!
64 out of 113 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Broke My Will Farrell Pledge
james_norvell1 July 2017
I wanted to go to the movies to have a laugh, so I decided to break my pledge to never, ever go see a Will Farrell movie. Bad, bad, bad mistake. There were more laughs in Kramer v Kramer. This was very possibly the worst movie I have ever seen. Gratuitous, nonstop foul language in what had to a parody of bad comedy, no one could make this crap on purpose. I would have left after 20 minutes, but my wife was getting a nice snooze. When she woke up at the credit roll and asked what she had missed, I said "Absolutely nothing." My new pledge is to never, under threat of assisted suicide, go to a Will Farrell OR Amy Poehler movie.
66 out of 118 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
For once the house loses
TwentyWasHere4 November 2017
There isn't much to say about this. This is just another not funny comedy from the guy who brought you "Neighbors". This alone should tell you what to expect.

The jokes are dull and the cast can do nothing to rescue this train wreck of a script. This is clearly the low point of Farrell's career.

1 out of 10.
13 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I Love Will Ferrell- But not THIS!!
Megan Jones5 July 2017
This was possibly the worst film I have seen in a very long time. Not only were the jokes absolutely terrible the characters were so immature you genuinely didn't know whether they were the parents or the children. Will Ferrell played his typical childlike male figure which is amazing for films like Elf or Step-Brothers but when you need to be acting like a parent? No good. It seemed like Amy Poehler felt the need to then act exactly the same as Ferrell and to be quite frank she was awful! But, I can't blame the actors for all of this god awful movie. It just felt like no one knows how to produce, direct and act in films anymore.

Please don't waste your time.
35 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Horrendous
JDono10 July 2017
This is truly the worst movie I've paid to see since "The Ice Pirates" back in the '80s. Will and Amy are two of my favorite comedians, so I can't imagine how they agreed to do a script that had so few laughs in it. A comedy can get away with being implausible if it's also hilarious, but implausible and unfunny is a deadly combination--and the perfect description of "The House."
37 out of 64 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Awful........... Just AWFUL!
will-fox1730 June 2017
Lets get one thing straight, Will Ferrell is a comedy genius! However this movie sucked from start to finish. There is no LOL moments. The story was OK i suppose but the actual comedy in the film is lacking BIG TIME. Do not pay to go and see this movie you are wasting your money. Stay home with a big glass of scotch and watch anchorman on DVD. AVOID AT ALL COSTS!
57 out of 104 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Don't pay attention to the bad reviews.
TheWalkingDood14 September 2017
Switch of for 90 mins. Enjoy a movie for what it is. Don't compare to others, criticise, judge or hold a candle. Just watch the movie with no bias and expectations and ask yourself at the end did I like it?

I did that and I enjoyed this movie. It made me laugh. Will and Amy were great as the quirky couple who will do anything to make sure their daughter gets a good start in life. The supporting cast were funny and believable (In that zany movie dimension) and I enjoyed the other characters as much as the main cast.

"Will it win an Oscar?" Hell no... "Will it go down in history?" I doubt it.... "Is it the funniest film ever?" No way.... But give it a try. It's ten thousand times better than most of the garbage that's been released this year.
22 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fun, Simple Will Ferrell Hilarity,
FilmBuff19944 August 2017
The House is a great movie with a well developed plot and a top notch comedic cast. It is a simple frat pack comedy, it does not do anything groundbreaking, only exactly what we would expect, it did not try to raise the standard, and that is fine by me. These type of comedies work, and are widely appealing to today's general age group of moviegoers, we get to watch actors have fun, and as a result of that, so do we.

One thing I would say about it that was underwhelming was when it tried to be meaningful, I have no problem with a movie that may initially seem like a straight up comedy actually having some heart, but it felt very forced and shoe horned in here. Trying to convey the two main characters ambitions to get their daughter in to college simply does not work when a scene five minutes before that showed them getting drunk and struggling to quietly enter their home.

The cast is absolutely hilarious, I have no gripes with each casting, and the chemistry between everyone was phenomenal. Will Ferrell shines as always, clearly going off script on many occasions, his chemistry with Amy Poehler was great, as was she, they seemed very at ease with each other. It was great to finally see Jason Mantzoukas in a main role, he has shined in several other comedies in minor parts, as well as many stellar appearances in Brooklyn Nine Nine, I was delighted to finally see him play a major character, and hope to see more from this special comic in the future. Nick Kroll is also great, playing a very unlikeable character, he continues to surprise me in every role he plays, showcasing furthermore that he is a very versatile comedic actor.

Great fun from beginning to end. Hilarious and with a stellar group of comedians, The House is definitely worth the watch for anybody looking for a good comedy.

Two parents start an illegal casino in their friend's house in order to make enough money to get their daughter to college.

Best Performance: Will Ferrell
18 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Whoever wins, the audience loses
dbcint29 June 2017
Every so often, a movie comes along that exceeds all expectations, and revitalises a genre that had been looking a little tired. There were several movies that did it for horror last year, and the results have been amazing. Can the comedy genre please get one of those movies? Look, it's not all doom and gloom. We had a couple of hits earlier in the year with Pork Pie and Going In Style, and even Baywatch had a few laughs. But with Rough Night and now The House, we've hit a downward trajectory. I'd say we can only go up from here, but I'm honestly terrified that might not actually be the case. The premise of this garbage is that Scott and Kate (Will Ferrell and Amy Poehler) are terrible parents. More specifically, it's that they can't afford to send their daughter Alex (Ryan Simpkins) to college, because the scholarship they'd been relying on has been discontinued. (Why? Because the councilman in charge of said scholarship has been spending that money on his mistress.) So here's my first question. If your daughter – nay, your only child – is getting good enough grades throughout her school years that getting accepted into her choice of college looks like it's actually going to be feasible for her, why aren't you saving any money towards that? Everything I've ever seen that's been about college in the U.S. has emphasized how expensive it is. Come on – you live in a nice house, and have always had the option of bringing in more money, as evidenced by the fact that Kate looks into going back to work when she discovers how much money they're going to need. Why didn't you look into going back to work before now? I understand that a lot of parents want to stay home and spend time with their children, but Alex appears to be an intelligent and capable girl. She is in no way dependant or reliant on having her mother home all the time, and if my understanding of teenagers is correct, most of them would be mortified with having their mother home all the time. Kate's not the only one to blame, though, as Scott is simply terrible with numbers. Alright, so math isn't a strong suit for a lot of people, but as the family's only breadwinner, Scott should have taken some responsibility for this problem a long time ago. At the very least, he could have hired an accountant or financial consultant to help him understand what's happening with his family's money. The answer to Scott and Kate's money problems comes in the form of Frank (Jason Mantzoukas), a clearly unstable lunatic who suggests turning his house into an illegal casino. It doesn't take long before things get out of control, and everything goes belly-up in exactly the ways you'd expect. The biggest example of this is when the three catch someone cheating, and end up cutting his finger off with an axe. This earns Scott the nickname of "The Butcher", and Kate somehow winds up as "The Burner". Frank… well, he was clearly a psychopath already. The first thing to note here is that the effects are terrible. I've seen intermediate school productions that would handle a severed finger and spurting blood more realistically. As for the attempt to re- attach the finger, that has to be seen to be believed. (Then again, I did see it, and I'm not sure I can believe it.) Scott, Kate, and Frank quickly adopt their new personas, and only Frank manages to pull off anything remotely close to "threatening". Not even a glorified cameo from Jeremy Renner as a mob boss can save this story – although the bloopers at least show he seemed to have fun filming it. Yay for him. Then there are the side characters in this monstrosity. The best thing about the movie is when the casino holds an impromptu "fight night", and that's only because it's so damn satisfying to see these idiots beat the tar out of each other. Not a single character is at all endearing, and the only one you have any reason to care about is the one going up against Martha. You thought the (now infamous) "Martha" scene from Batman v Superman was bad? This is worse. Much, much worse. At this point, you might be questioning where the police are in all this. Well, it would appear the town of Fox Meadow has only one police officer, and the only person in the world more inept at their job is currently in the Oval Office. To be fair, Officer Chandler (Rob Huebel) does have his hands somewhat tied by Councilman Bob (Nick Kroll), the most corrupt politician since the one currently residing in the Oval Office. And how does this all end? Yeah, I'm going to spoil it, because this is so bad that I don't recommend anyone see this, and the ending is one of the worst parts. Scott and Kate wind up in the clear (despite having run an illegal casino, chopped a man's finger off, been implicit in burning down a house – and in doing so, likely killing a mob boss), Frank gets his wife back (who has been holding the moral high ground all movie, then promptly suggests she and Frank commit insurance fraud), and the councilman's mistress goes back to her husband, while said councilman suffers no other consequence, despite his embezzling. The lesson, then? Do whatever the hell you want, as life has no consequences. At one point, Kate does tell Scott that one of them needs to be the adult, but it's quite clear maturity was not a factor in any of this.
47 out of 88 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Far worse than imaginable.
Jerry Beck7 July 2017
Let me start by saying something good about this movie. IT'S OVER! THANK GOD!

I won't bore you with the details, but clearly once you make a name for yourself in Hollywood you can take on as many bad roles as you want and still get work. I damn near walked out of this one on a few occasions. Painful to sit through and very likely my last time wasting money on a Will Farrell movie. Amy Poehler was every bit as unwatchable and should be lucky to have a job.
23 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Don't watch it unless you're desperate
good-decision30 June 2017
Different people laugh at different things. Some laugh at epic stupid gaffs and poop jokes, some find stupidity suffocating and unfunny. I'm among the latter.

Some few laughs here and there other that the story must assume we are stupid to believe any of this crap! So, the parents "suddenly" realise they don't have enough money to send their daughter to uni. So they decide with their equally broke friend to start an illegal casino. Where they get the money to start such a casino? Nobody knows. Then expansions and more expansions (work that would take contractors months to finish is complete in the same amount of time it takes for the camera to pan to the left!) but come on we don't want to get pedantic now do we? Farce after farce, more bullshit piling up by the minute ... For some bizarre reason, there's a side story about the estranged wife of Will Ferrell's friend. She gives her husband the divorce papers to sign because she had enough of his gambling and she appears to have started dating another guy. Suddenly, the wife changes her mind for absolutely no reason even after she finds out the husband is now opening an illegal casino complete with a mini brothel! Yep! A mini brothel and a DJ with pool parties that SOMEHOW don't get any attention in small town suburbia.

The movie makes every single American look like a money grabbing greedy idiot of some sort. Nobody seems to be remotely a voice of basic reason of any nature. May be if they classified this movie as a surreal story and put some flying pink elephants in it, it would've done a bit better. Amid this insanity, the three buddies start (for no reason at all) attacking town people, raiding their shops, beating them up with shoes and other objects, threatening them with soldering irons, throwing them out of their vehicles, etc etc without anyone complaining to the police, berating them, or even saying anything to them at work. And this is where I lost any respect or empathy and felt I was watching hysterical vomit.

I'm very angry that someone in Hollywood actually thinks we are a bunch of stupid losers who can happily part with their hard earned cash for this rubbish piece of work and walk away without feeling we've just been insulted or mugged by it.

Watch it only if stupid jokes and general ridiculousness cut it for you!
27 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
What is wrong with everyone hating on this amazing comedy?
Harrison Tweed (Top Dawg)13 September 2017
WOW is all I have to say. I read most of the (negative) reviews and everyone hating on Will and Amy but I'm unclear what everyone expects - from Will and Amy?! THIS film was their type of comedy - stupid enjoyable fun, and they finally pulled it off to perfection! I want to be clear, although a fan, I'm not a huge fan of either, but they nailed their roles and the comedy in this film that they redeemed themselves and I am now a huge fan of both! Nothing Amy has done in the past has ever made me laugh until now. This is finally the comedy from Will that I've been waiting for from his earlier days.

A bunch of us went to see this and we were in stitches and crying in laughter - and no, we were not drunk or high! This is the funniest comedy I've seen this year and for that matter in a long time.

It was very well written and directed and actually had an entertaining (and for a change) different type of story. All the actors were on point!

Props to everyone involved! I really wish I could find out from all you 'supposedly' Will fans what more you all expected?

It's the perfect comedy and if anyone thinks this is a fake review, check out my over 300 reviews and hundreds of ratings!

A perfect 10/10 from me and I hope there is a part 2 very soon!
25 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Those Professional Movie Critics.....
bcasey-0856030 June 2017
The professional movie critics are already attacking 'The House' starring Will Ferrell, Amy Poehler.

I like Will Ferrell because his films no matter how ridiculous and raunchy they are, they have a morale behind them.

Last week, a brilliant poster mentioned how the majority of 'professional' movie critics are a cancer. I'm in complete agreement with this person. I also believe these movie critics are a cancer to all artists. And they're a cancer to the film industry.

TRUTH: Critics kill any joy of those who actually do something. Phil Collins said he was glad to retire because of the music critics. Kevin Durant said sports critics are killing the game. And James Cameron didn't direct for 10 years after Titanic because he was sick of movie critics bashing him.

Everyone knows the story of Herman Melville who died a broken man because the critics savaged his book, "Moby Dick". The book didn't sell well and Melville went bankrupt and spent his last years in a grocery store. True story.

Movie critics are not just a poison, they're very dangerous. I didn't watch Kevin Costner's 'The Postman' for YEARS because the movie critics said it was utterly horrible. However, after watching the film, I was shocked at how good the film was. I almost missed out on watching a great film because again I listened to these loser critics.

I almost didn't watch 'Hidden Figures' because another critic savaged the movie as 'unwatchable'.

What is going on?

Like the previous poster said, "Movie critics have never written, directed, acted, or produced a film in their entire lives. They're just losers who wish they could be filmmakers."

So this is the essence then of today's movie criticism. It's useless. Pointless. Fake News. One critic admitted he would never give Paramount good reviews because Paramount wouldn't read his script.

So what can we do about this? What can movie fans and those artists (and crew members) in the film industry do? FIGHT BACK. Let's 'out' these critics by name in public forums like 'Topix.com'; 'Ripoff.com' 'ComplaintsBoard.com' - the critics will see their name smeared on Page 1 of Google the same way they smear filmmakers. Give them a taste of their own medicine.

FIGHT BACK.

I give 'The House' a 7 out of 10. I like the originality and I like Will Ferrell as a comedian/actor.
36 out of 77 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not as bad as I heard
Tj Boardway13 September 2017
It was 5 stars .

It was in no way "good".

But it wasn't nearby as bad as reviews led me to believe.

I smirked through most of it and chuckled a few times with one belly laugh.

I think Ferrell and Poehler worked OK together.

Worth a watch.
10 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A comedy with no comedy
Brian Stevens10 July 2017
Well Ferrel plays the exact same character he has played in every one of his movies. A big, lumbering idiot who tries to be funny, but fails in every regard. He should have stuck with SNL where he had to actually assume a different role from time to time and was very good. Pohler continues to be the over-the-top actress whose actions, meant to be comedic are sorely lacking.

In the film they team up with an actor I've never heard of to create a casino in his house. Targeting mostly neighbors and the occasional big shots. Eventually they make hundreds of thousands off their friends and community members on the premise that they they want to pay for their daughter's college education and so that whatever his name is can pay off the mortgage on the house. In the end they are just greedy.

A local cop, the only one in town it seems, finds the casino and threatens to arrest them, but the Community Mayor(?)/Council President(?) wants the money for himself. So, he just steals it.

Some silly stuff happens and the casino burns to the ground. Forcing our foursome out of business. They decide to steal the money back from the mayor guy. Suddenly the lone cop shows up and switches sides to help them.

In the end, the daughter is able to go to college and the movie ends on a happy note.

The acting throughout the movie is pretty awful. The plot is so removed from actual reality that it crumbles under its own weight.

Simply a terrible movie all around.
15 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
What the ....?
harril-586-2674529 June 2017
I'm a big fan of Will Ferrell and after watching the trailer thought this story would be a great set up for some good comedy. It started off with some fun chuckle moments but gradually degenerated into gross, unfunny, violent crap. Several folks walked out after the first blood-squirt but foolishly I stayed till the end. Was I amused? NO!! The 3 stars are for WF still showing some talent along with Nick Kroll as bastard Bob and Ryan Simpkins as goody-2-shoes Alex.
27 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Crap Clone of Bad Neighbors Movie
Ferris Vueller10 July 2017
It's exactly the same as Bad Neighbours except EVEN LESS FUNNY. They're in a suburb full of idiots smoking lots of weed and getting drunk and breaking the law.

I blame this disgrace of a movie on director Andrew Jay Cohen, the same douche bag that wrote and directed Bad Neighbours 1 and 2. He's brain dead. The extent of his experience is obviously partying and smoking weed all day. Why would I watch a movie about that? Why is he allowed to write or direct the same thing over and over? It's not even funny, it's sad.

Will Ferrell should take responsibility too. He's supposed to be a good actor, he should have said "NO" to this pile of crap. His only funny lines are when he says "B*tch", and that's it, two times, everything else is total crap except possibly the part where the guy catches on fire. Just watch the clip on youtube, there's nothing of value in this storyline whatsoever.

Just thinking about this movie makes me want to vomit.

This movie isn't funny, it's just a promotion of drugs and criminal/amoral activity, basically a reflection and confirmation of our perception of the idiocracy of Hollywood.
15 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The House
paulfiduccia26 July 2017
The movie was pretty good and funny. I like Will Ferrell and Amy Poehler and Ryan Simpkins. Will Ferrell the father was working but can't afford college,(Bucknell) so he had gambling in the house instead of a casino. Amy Poehler agreed. Ryan Simpkins was upset because the father was suggesting a cheaper college. I don't recommend it for children because of gambling and cocaine. I recommend this movie because of the gambling in the house. Its exciting.
7 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Absolutely Terrible , Not one funny moment or near Giggle
DaVern 3038 October 2017
Man just when you thought it could not get any worse along comes complete rubbish like this.With Will Ferrel in a Movie you would expect it to be OK at with a couple of laughs in it maybe even brought in by him but WOW this is not fit to be called a comedy or a movie it should be De-Released Amy Phoeler or however you spell her due name "intended spell error " Blows so bad in it you want to smack the face of her..Wil also blows so bad it took about 25 to 30 minutes to realize that this movie is getting worse by the second, Few friends also tried to watch it but they killed it after 15 minutes .. they had a sense .avoid this garbage at all cost unless you hate yourself and love terrible eh movie / extended show Trust me AVOID
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Piece of garbage
trinaboice10 July 2017
Grade: F because it has 3.8 million F-bombs in it (and it's a terrible movie)

Rating: R

In a Nutshell: Why are so many trashy movies coming out in theaters that glorify extremely bad behavior?

If you like being assaulted by an F-bomb every 2.7 seconds, watching people throw up and get high, then this raunchy piece of garbage is for you.

Uplifting theme:

Family

Crime pays? College is expensive and makes parents go crazy

Things I liked: I liked seeing Will Ferrell and Amy Poehler together again. Besides their SNL background, they were both in Blades of Glory ten years ago. Honestly, Amy Poehler was better than Will Ferrell in this flick. If you see this in theaters, you'll also see Will Ferrell being featured in the upcoming sequel of Daddy's Home. Jason Mantzoukas was really good in this. He and Amy Poehler were both in the zany Parks and Recreation: The Complete Series TV show together. The premise is somewhat interesting, so I was curious what they were going to do with the idea. I live in Las Vegas, so I'm definitely familiar with the idea that the "house always wins." The movie could have been really interesting. It wasn't. There is mention of Panera Bread. Man, I love that place! I thought it about during the rest of the movie.

Things I didn't like:

It's vulgar and stupid. You might chuckle a time or two, but it's not very funny. The family is totally into watching The Walking Dead: Season 1. I was a fan for a few seasons, but I'm over it. It seems they could have picked a newer TV show to be obsessed about.

This is director Andrew Jay Cohen's first film. Hopefully, he learns from his mistakes and chooses better writers next time.

Funny lines: "One of us has to be an adult here. So, you be it." – Kate Johansen (Amy Poehler) "What about Bob?" – Bob (Nick Kroll) The Johansens laugh and refer to the movie Bill Murray was in called What About Bob?. Bob then says, "Am I the only one who doesn't get Bill Murray?" Yes, Bob. Yes, you are. By the way, you should see What About Bob? instead of this one. "Did you just say whom?" – Scott Johansen (Yeah, I'm a Grammar Nazi too.)

Tips for parents: TONS of marijuana, cocaine, alcohol, gambling, blood-gushing violence, and vomit. People flip the bird. Full frontal nudity of men and women walking down the stairs quickly.

This is NOT a movie you could show your family with a filtering service. You would see about a 5 minute clip after the service wiped all of the garbage out. This is a true Rated R movie.

MOVIE REVIEW MOM

@trinaboice
11 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The House wins; we lose
EBJ6 July 2017
'THE HOUSE' was directed by Andrew Jay Cohen and stars Will Ferrell, Amy Poehler and Jason Mantzoukas. Scott and Kate Johansen must figure out a way to earn some money after their daughter's scholarship falls through. When all else fails, the desperate couple join forces with their neighbour Frank to start an underground casino in his home. As the cash rolls in and the good times fly, Scott and Kate soon learn that they may have bitten off more than they can chew.

I love Will Ferrell. I like Amy Pouhler. I like Jason Mantzoukas. The director wrote a comedy I really like(Bad Neighbours). Alas, I did not like this movie. The laugh-face palm ratio for this movie was around 1:21. They are not good odds at all, especially considering the actors' and director's previously set standards. The movie's main fault for me is that it tries too hard to be funny. Movies do this and it can work, like with The Dictator(or most Sacha Baron Cohen movies). They actively go out of their way to place the character's in funny situations but it works. I cannot say why specifically but it works. If you try too hard but it works, then well done. But if you try hard and it doesn't work, it becomes nigh unwatchable.

People applaud the premise for this movie. In my opinion, it's utter trash, for lack of a better term(or at least one I can post within the restrictions). The story itself wasn't much better and made no sense whatsoever. I wont argue that a comedy must have a good story and premise but it certainly helps when that's your last line of defence. South Park BL&U, Ace Ventura, Liar Liar, The Big Lebowski, The Dictator; these are all comedies that either have a solid premise or good story. And what do they all have in common? They are all generally regarded as good comedies. You can make a good comedy with abysmal story; it is possible. This is a time where that failed, however.

Next, we have the performances. As previously stated, I like all the cast. That said, I felt that Ferrell and Pouhler were just reading lines of paper and weren't trying to deliver a genuinely good performance. With the exception of The Butcher of course, that was great. Jason Mantzoukas was fine in this movie. I liked him. He did good. Good job Jason. The villain was so bland and generic and lazy that the movie would have been better without one.

Technically speaking, it's a proficient movie. I have no major complaints with how it's shot or edited. I like the costume design and the set design for the casino was pretty fun. I just wish they parodied 'Fight Club' during a certain sequence.

In conclusion, I don't recommend you see this movie. There are much better and more well made comedies you can watch. Don't waste your time and money on it. I doubt you'll be impressed. I'll rate this movie 3 Severed Fingers out of 10!
11 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this