Cosmos (2019) Poster

(2019)

Stick with it.
smith78-928-6339488 November 2019
If you can get through the really slow parts, it is a pleasant surprise.
40 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Flick, Awesome Look from another view
wlwhited99 November 2019
First of all, Cosmos is a masterclass on low budget high production value. It's awesome seeing what they talk about from a whole new view scape. Yes it's not paced to the best of it's ability and some time could be cut out easily, but once things finally kick off, it's actually a great Flick with some heart pounding scenes. They have obvious influences and wanted to set a tone based on those influences, and I think they nailed it. Definitely worth a watch especially for any space lovers.
25 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't listen to the haters.
k_frend9 November 2019
This movie was really good. A lot of talking, but if you are one of those people who love looking up at the star at night, always hoping to see something, then you will really love this movie. I always wanted to do this as a job, but I messed up in school.
25 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent movie.
caseyvferguson8 November 2019
Truly enjoyed it. Especially the ending. Don't believe the reviews that say it's anything but a good watch.
44 out of 70 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Time for some sense
twalker-975609 November 2019
I feel there's been some overly harsh reviews for an indie movie that's a great first from the Weaver brothers.

Although you could argue it's slow at times, the story is clearly all about the characters and people. They have nailed the 80s theme and the film is clearly well made albeit on a low budget, and for that, those involved clearly deserve a great deal of credit.

Well worth a watch, enjoy!
28 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Im Going to Be Honest
boogdeborah9 November 2019
I am going to rate this film up against the others within the science fiction genre regardless if its a first feature or not. There is no doubt the directors have talent to technically pull this off with no budget is something you don't see often (el mariachi had a 7k budget) . The best compliment i can give is it felt like i was watching a film. A film that was made with heart and passion behind it. The tone and vision of the film was clear to see. The camera movement was well thought out and precise. (Spielbergish, with a hint of zemeckis) ,The music was very good (i felt the movie relied to much on the music to push certain emotions which in turn felt forced) However there are several points where i feel cosmos missed the mark. One of them is the acting it felt stale in some parts which pulled me out of the story and halted the character development. The actor who played Mike Webster however carries the movie on his shoulders and turned out a solid performance. The movie did feel very long but i felt it was intentional a slow burn although i feel it might of benefited from cutting 20-25mins out. The story didn't capture me as i wanted it to, exposition was used a lot, for character development. And more tension building would of been welcomed. The films climax did yield some beautiful shots, but story wasn't enough to make me feel the emotion. Would i watch another film by these directors? That answer is easy...Yes i would!. The talent is undeniable the tone and vision of cosmos was nailed! and With a well thought out and developed story and script, With some help from experts within the industry. There is no reason these directors cant make a catalogue of films that are thoroughly enjoyable.
26 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It was great, then it was ok, then it was meh.
vicbendeck10 November 2019
What we have here is a good attempt at making a decent film. The images and sounds were well done and the dialogue (for the most part) was well written and properly acted, making it a believable story. The characters appeared knowledgeable of what they were supposed to know (at least from the non-expert opinion), giving them depth. The emotional development is initially effective and well grounded. The same aspects that were its strength became its weakness as the story developed. When the director tried to inspire the viewer in motivational dialogues, with the music to match, it was then that the artifice failed, and the belief in the reality of its characters dissolved. Besides this, a couple of questionable instances of comic relief, as well as overemphasis for effects (ie a trembling dashboard to show speed) appeared unnecessary. Finally, the names were probably overstated (think The Room). In conclusion, the movie is watchable and the story is interesting, but be mindful that the pace may require additional patience and attention. Those who choose to watch it might appreciate an acceptably developed story and dialogue, with good visual and audio support. If you want a shocking or truly memorable film, this may not be your cup of tea.
11 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sometimes cynicism goes too far...
mail-553-8208918 November 2019
The film is certainly slow, but it's hardly a problem when the makers of a movie want to take their time in portraying their vision. I have little affection for those who want a "flash, bang" type of movie, usually indicating that they have little sense of story and instead seek a visual spectacular, all too often mindless. This isn't a film for them, and it clearly isn't intended to be. It is a low budget movie with an actual story, and I see no reason why the makers should be expected to apologise for that. It's a story of people, and their search for something outside themselves, and to their utter amazement they find it. Simple, clean and well worth watching. If you don't like it then so be it, but don't indulge in cries of "fake reviews" or other similar mindless attention-seeking refrains. It is a film that I watched from start to finish with fascination, and there are precious few films I bother to pay that sort of attention to these days. If you want a story well told, with people who are real and have their own foibles then I suggest you watch it and make up your own mind, rather than "follow the herd" in decrying what isn't to your taste. You may be pleasantly surprised
13 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What film making is all about
gracehowells-187258 November 2019
Have been waiting to see this film for so long, and it has truly surpassed my expectations. Such a brilliantly made, authentic film which creates the perfect atmosphere and keeps you on the edge of your seat right until the end. Gripping! When you watch the 'Making of Cosmos' and see all that went into creating this movie, you realise what an even more brilliant achievement it is. Cosmos is what film making is all about!
36 out of 62 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't believe the trolls!
habasford9 November 2019
Great Friday night watch. Actors are outstanding, you make a connection with them and at one point I felt like I was in the car! The score compliments the storyline perfectly. I was astounded to learn the film was made on no budget. Congratulations to the Filmmakers.
29 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Impressive Indie fare
chintones8 November 2019
With a crew of about a dozen people, these guys put together a good film. Acting was great all around, cinematography in cramped spaces worked, writing and reveals were well done. My only complaint is that the editing could have been tighter and would have helped the first half of the film. Kudos to the filmmakers and well worth a watch!
38 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sad to see the bad reviews.
nicholson17179 November 2019
What a treat of a movie! Excellent acting from actors I've never heard of. Would love to see them again. Writing, directing, producing and story: outstanding! Score, perfectly fitted. Starts slow but worth sticking with it for an excellent movie.
20 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pure SCI FI
siddharthjain-048629 November 2019
Loved the movie, bit slow at start but ending was great ,must watch for a SCI FI lover.
17 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Sci fi family movie!
diegosarmientoh9 November 2019
I've just now finished watching Cosmos and I must say: bravo! I enjoyed it very much! What a wonderful film... No labels. Not just a great "low or no budget". It's a really good movie, period.

Entertaining, thrilling and heart warming. With great and honest performances... And the fact that it looks this good makes you completely forget the circumstances of the shoot. Congratulations, Team Cosmos! The result is mesmerizing.

A wonderful -and well told- tale, a testament to both the character's and the filmmakers sheer will and determination.
20 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really enjoyed it
lardarseclass8 November 2019
What a real nice surprise this movie is, thought the story was great, the characters well fleshed out and human. Only thing is the comedy, I don't know whether the totally ott cliches were intentional, they were funny and hamed well and truly but in no way detracted if anything improved it with viral meme level clips by the dozen.
19 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thought Provoking Movie
adb-177888 November 2019
Don't listen to the negative reviews. This is a very well made film with excellent acting and interesting story. Nothing blows up or gets shot at, just a well made low budget film that makes you care about the characters and understand their feelings. Strongly recommend to anyone who liked Close Encounters way back when.....
31 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Decent Movie for budget
bderek-225349 November 2019
This was a decent film, but could have been much better. I thought the film was a little to long and there were parts that should have been cut out. maybe made the film around 1.40 mins.

I liked how the guys started out a little distant and as the film progressed you really felt their friendship coming out. I loved the music and felt the film heartwarming between the characters.

It sort of made me feel like thinking about lost friendships and memories i cherish.

Their was a little frustration at certain parts which did not really need to be there and seemed to stopped the film from moving forward with petty scenes.

I sort of wanted to fast forward to get over the scene.

The last 30 mins like most films was really good and kept you on your seat towards the ending which pulled on your heartstrings.

Overall the film was nicely done and i enjoyed it. The actors were great and you felt the bond between them. I think the film makers have loads of talent and for the budget the quality was 1st class and with the right budget, these guys could make a really good film.
14 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
i'll give a oscar just for the ending!
fasada10 November 2019
One of the best about this kind of subject,about first contact and i've seen a lot of movies about it ,most not half so good as this indie!Well done i really enjoyed it.
11 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A delightful surprise
rolf-928 November 2019
What a gem, hidden in the movie universe, glad i found it
28 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not fun if you're a space geek
maxtardiveau10 November 2019
The science is ridiculous, and there is *way* too much completely artificial tension building over the silliest things. That's too bad because the subject could have made for an interesting movie, and the production is actually not bad. But the story line simply does not hold up.
12 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Irrelevant nattering for the first wasteful hour
pietclausen9 November 2019
No wonder many reviewers give this movie a rating of 1. I would have done the same had I bailed out after an hour of sheer boredom. But I survived and so did the movie when a signal was received. Then the pace picked up and the movie became very exciting for buffs who enjoy a SETI movie.

Had the unnecessary waffle been edited out we would have had a very interesting movie of about 90 minutes, which would attract a rating of 8 or 9 in my mind.
11 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It was ok. Needed fast forward
richardjaneirolima10 November 2019
It was an okay movie The acting was okay as well however I found myself wanting to fast forward many times.
10 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Like a bad parody of a movie.
future_release8 November 2019
This is two hours wasted. The only thing positive is the acting generally was ok. and the sound and music were ok. otherwise it would be a 1 star.

Everything takes soooooo long to get to the point and with so much action spent in a car I'm wondering where the budget of $8k was spent.

Never in the history of film has there been so much time taken and so much phony tension built in connecting wires to a car battery......
12 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ever wondered what's out there? They did too. A journey of friends.
chris-4061210 November 2019
Well done guys. Creating a scifi movie on a budget is tough. I really enjoyed the mood, the fitting soundtrack, the camera work, facial acting and the fumbling race to your epic final shots.

My only criticism is the script itself. The underlying story is good enough but personally I anticipated more scene changes, more physical action; less radio and computer screen shots. I think cutting 30 minutes out would do it.

Look foward to seeing your future work. 😎
8 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A 4 or a 10 if the Arameddon earnest tone is for laughs
Bellendo9 November 2019
I quite enjoyed this. Its extremely earnest like a Michael Bay film filmed by an cash strapped British indie! Lots of terribly serious speeches and lloing into the middle distance.

If that tone is done ironically its brilliant. However if they are serious it's a complete cheese fest!
8 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.